Chapter 6

But I Can't Tell You If You Run Away

“Doesn’t it look too empty like this?” Jongin’s voice comes out half muffled half echoed, his head being almost entirely inside the washing machine, looking at the few pieces of clothing gathered at the end.

Kyungsoo’s head joins too, scratching his left ear on the drum when he enters in his effort to squeeze in. “Well… It looks fine to me. I think it’s even okay to just wash a shirt at the time,” he takes his head out and looks nervously at his friend’s back. “It wouldn’t breakdown… I think.”

“Do you really know how to turn it on?” The other boy also gives up on staring at the clothes and gets his head out of the machine, straightening up after.

“Of course! It’s not the first time I’m doing this!” Kyungsoo confidently proclaims and goes to pick up the washing powder, filling a cup and emptying all of the contents inside the washing machine. He repeats the action once more and is about to do it a third time when a familiar hand stops him halfway.

“What are you doing? That must be too much!” Jongin feels that washing his clothes without an adult’s help is meant to be a catastrophe. He has never done it by himself before and is beyond nervous and now on top of that Kyungsoo is putting more washing powder than clothes inside the washing machine.

Jongin is no expert but that doesn’t look right.

“I know better than you! I did this before remember? It needs three cups at least.” Kyungsoo states confidently and prepares to empty the last cup.

“Your mum’s book said that just two thirds of a single cup was enough and had just as good results…”

Kyungsoo’s confidence falters and he looks suspiciously at Jongin, frowning. “What book? What have you been reading?”

Jongin shrinks visibly, hands shaking slightly under his friend’s intense eyes. “A book from the living room… About house chores…” His voice gets smaller and smaller with each word. Though Kyungsoo gave him permission to pick up some books from the living room to read if he was done with all of the ones in the bedroom, Jongin still feels very insecure about boundaries inside the house. He doesn’t want to anger Kyungsoo or cause more problems with his parents.

“Isn’t that super boring to read?”

However, Kyungsoo doesn’t appear the least bit angry with him and he allows himself to relax and speak steadily. “Yes, that’s why I only read some parts.”

The other boy looks at the washing powder in his hands deep in thought until he gives up with a shrug and puts the cup back in its place. “Well… Then it must be enough. Now all we have to do is just close this door,” his voice guides as he executes his own instructions. “And press here and here. Rotate this. And-”

“Wait!”

“What now?” Kyungsoo’s flat tone doesn’t mask well the frustration he can’t avoid. It was probably Jongin’s eighth interruption. When the other boy is anxious he certainly is insufferable.

Jongin cringes, quick to understand the meaning behind the Kyungsoo’s unusual tone, “Are you sure that my jacket can be washed like this?” He knew that he was being tiresome, but this jacket was really important to him. It was the last piece of clothing from his former parents that still fit him.

“Yeah, pretty sure. I did the same last time remember? Can we do it now?”

Jongin still feels somewhat uncertain, but Kyungsoo is here. Jongin trusts him. “Ready.” He confirms with a nod.

Kyungsoo presses the last button and the distinct sound of water running starts.

Finally, he thinks.

It was an adventure to make an uncooperative Jongin help him to put his clothes to wash, but it was probably a lot better than last week’s careless result with his mum.

Jongin has his eyes glued to the washing machine as if he is expecting it to spit out some of the clothes, his hands run slowing over the sides of his pants, reflecting his anxiety. Kyungsoo smiles big time at the antithesis his friend is. Always wanting to be the bravest and strongest Digimon when they play together, yet every time they face a problem in real life Jongin fears everything. “Come on, let’s play while it washes.” Kyungsoo grabs him by the back of his sweater and drags him to his room.

 

Later after they take out Jongin’s clothes from the dryer and the boy is satisfactorily packing everything in his space of the wardrobe, Kyungsoo for the first time really pays attention to how many pieces of clothing Jongin has – not that it makes a difference because Jongin can use everything that he has. It’s just that Jongin appears to treasure those clothes a lot even if they look more like tatters, which leaves Kyungsoo utterly curious about his reasons.

A sweater, two t-shirts, two pairs of sweatpants, a pair of shorts, a jacket, some underwear and somewhere in the wardrobe there would yet be Jongin’s small sneakers that hurt his feet every time he uses them. That’s it.

Nothing more.

No socks, no trousers, no warm scarves or mittens, no decent shoes. Nothing. Suddenly an image of Jongin back in that alley crosses his mind. How much cold had the other boy endured out there alone? How was he able to sleep during cold nights? A chill runs down Kyungsoo’s spine and his fingers curl on his palms to keep them from shaking.

“Is everything okay, Kyungsoo-yah?”

The other boy’s words bring him back from his stupor and Kyungsoo blinks in an effort to focus on his friend getting out of the wardrobe, “You should wear my clothes all the time. You don’t need yours.” He is surprised by his own demanding tone but Jongin is now his responsibility to take care of and those clothes are no good to wear. The other boy needs to stop wearing them and start only wearing his!

Jongin is startled both by the tone his friend is using and by the meaning of his words. “I like to wear mines better,” he says softly.

“Why? They are no good, all damaged!” Jongin is so stubborn and it is starting to get on Kyungsoo’s nerves. He’s always like this, questioning and not following Kyungsoo’s directions like he should. Even though the other boy had always been reluctant in using Kyungsoo’s clothes, only since the incident with his mum did Jongin stop wearing them completely when he should be doing the opposite so there wouldn’t be any more of Jongin’s clothes to wash.

A heavy feeling anchors in Jongin’s chest and he looks down. It’s shameful not to have any better clothing to wear when Kyungsoo has a wardrobe full of nice ones. Jongin wishes he had a wardrobe full of nice clothes too, but he hasn’t. These damaged clothes are what he has and what he should be using because it’s the only ones that are his. And Jongin was always taught to take only what is his. “Because they are mine.”

“So what? Mine can be mine and yours. You can wear them all!”

“But I prefer mine. I only want to wear mine Kyungsoo-yah.” Jongin says as he tries to give a resolute glance to his friend.

After analysing the boy’s determined look Kyungsoo knows that he has no chance whatsoever of changing the other’s decision. He would have to find another way to make Jongin give up on those tatters, that was for sure.

 

Some days later right before dinner time, Jongin and Kyungsoo are playing in the latter’s room – bath already taken and sleeping clothes already put on – when the sound of the front door opening reaches the boys’ ears. In almost a synchronised way they put away the few toys that they were using and while Jongin gets inside the wardrobe, Kyungsoo runs to meet the parent that came home first today.

He smiles recognising his mum’s back – the woman was bent down taking off her shoes.

Her eyes look up then and she spots her son, a smile fast appearing on her face. “Hi, baby. Did you do your homework?” She smiles softly at him, her voice fragile and small, which puts the boy on alert.

“Hi, mum. Yeah, I already did everything. You can go check to see I'm not lying this time!” He promises as she kisses his cheek, murmuring a small ‘that’s good’ next to his ear. “Is everything alright?”

The woman sighs, smile falling from her lips, “I have the worst headache because of a complicated client that I had to deal with today. You don't even want know, believe me sweetheart.” She takes off her coat quickly and hangs it on the coat rack before turning all her attention back to the boy. “My handsome son, do you think you could have dinner by yourself tonight? Dad is going to eat with his boss so he will be back very late and it would be heaven if I could fall into bed this instant.” His mother gives him a hopeful look.

“Why do you always praise me before asking for something?” Kyungsoo snickers and incapable of denying her anything, is already leading her by the hand to his parents’ bedroom.

“I learned from the best.” The boy turns around to roll his eyes at her and she winks back, making him laugh. “There's food in the fridge, you can choose what you prefer. You already know what to do, right?” She voices with a worried tone.

Kyungsoo is turning on the minimum intensity of the lights from his parent’s bedroom and only when he’s finished does he open the door widely to let his mum walk in. “Yeah, yeah. I know. Do you want me to bring you a pill for the pain?” The woman heads directly for her private bathroom without another word, so Kyungsoo takes it as a no and starts to prepare the bed with extra fluffy pillows that he brings from the hallway wardrobe to help her feel more comfortable.

She comes back changed in night clothes and lies down on the spot of the bed that her son is pointing at. The woman adjusts herself in a comfortable sleeping position and then looks back at her son, raising an arm to rest a gentle hand on his cheek. “My handsome boy, already so grown up.” She praises, her tone already low and lethargic.

“Shhhh sleep,” Kyungsoo kisses the hand that is on his face before stepping away and leaving the room. “Goodnight mum,” he says before closing the door.

Unexpectedly when he turns around, Jongin is right in front of him – waiting for him in the middle of the hallway – very close to his parent’s bedroom door, a gloomy expression on his face. It’s not like him to be careless, but Kyungsoo forgets to question him about it at the prospect of having dinner together. He grabs Jongin by the arm and quickly takes them to the kitchen, starting to prepare the food straightway.

He washes enough rice for two people and puts it on the rice cooker with sufficient water before setting it up. Then goes to the refrigerator to choose some side dishes. “What do you want to eat?” Kyungsoo knows that Jongin has already eaten earlier after their bath, but he hopes that the other is already at least a little bit hungry to eat with him again.

“Aahhh. I don’-”

“Just eat a little bit. You can choose everything you want! Even from the top boxes!” Kyungsoo promptly interrupts when he sees the other boy starting to shake his head.

“But I have already eaten my share today.”

“You can eat more. You can eat with me.” He beams at his friend for advertisement’s sake.

Jongin presses his lips together, uncertainty clear in his eyes. “Together? Just us two?”

“Yes! What do you want to eat?” Kyungsoo rushes to repeat his question before the other boy has a chance to change his mind. He waits patiently as Jongin starts to carefully analyse the boxes available. While waiting he takes out some boxes to the counter that he feels like eating now.

“Can I eat that meat?” Jongin points at an orange box and Kyungsoo smiles to himself, happy to have a cooperative Jongin.

“Sure,” Kyungsoo replies as he takes the mentioned box out. “Anything else?”

Jongin shakes his head and so he closes the refrigerator’s door. Kyungsoo then goes to pick up some bowls to put the food into, grabbing a pair of chopsticks and a spoon on his way back to where the boxes are on the counter. He starts transferring the food sloppily to the bowls, always preparing enough quantity for two. Jongin, already used to moving around the kitchen, picks up some utensils and helps to prepare some bowls too, however only putting enough food for Kyungsoo.

They are absorbed on their task when Jongin speaks, his eyes never leaving the food in front of him but his movements halting, hands resting quietly on the counter. “Your mum likes you very much.” It’s a certainty that he got from witnessing Kyungsoo’s interactions with the woman throughout the several weeks that he has been living in this house.

“Yeah, I guess so. I’m her son, that’s normal. All mums love their children.”

“Do they?”

The bitterness in Jongin’s words is unnoticed by Kyungsoo, who replies confidently. “Of course!” Having finished filling all the bowls Kyungsoo abandons the dirty spoon and chopsticks on the counter and starts heating up some of the bowls in the microwave, also telling Jongin to save the boxes back on the refrigerator. The said boy also collects his and Kyungsoo’s dirty utensils and drops them off on the sink after having returned everything to its rightful place on the top shelf.

Before long they are sitting down at the table, meal all set up and ready to be eaten. Kyungsoo’s delight is tangible and he eats quickly, never forgetting to put some nice pieces of food on top of Jongin’s rice in the other boy’s bowl.

Jongin smiles shyly each time and eats slowly yet his gloomy aura doesn’t go away. Kyungsoo’s mum’s compliments directed at his friend are burning in his ears and is leaving a bitter taste in his mouth, his heart feeling slow and heavy with every new beat. “Do you think that one day your mum is going to leave you?”

Kyungsoo stops putting more food inside his mouth and chews quickly to be able to give an understandable reply. “That’s silly. Of course not. Mums never leave their children.” The food is still a bit in the way of properly pronouncing all words, but his message getting through.

“They do.” About this Jongin is sure.

“Don’t.”

“Yes, they do.”

“Don’t!”

“If not, why are there institutions for abandoned children?”

Not expecting this kind of reply, Kyungsoo instinctively leans back in his chair, putting more distance between him and Jongin. His eyes are dark and attentive, entirely focused on the other. “Those are for orphans. They don’t have parents anymore.”

Jongin’s jaw clenches and a shiver goes up his spine. Does this mean that he doesn’t have a single parent anywhere? Is there no one for him out there?

Pressure gathers in his head as Kyungsoo’s words reverberate inside his skull, bringing him pure agony with each new wave.

Jongin tries to remember his former parents that had left him at the institution. Did they die? Is that why they left him? He blinks his eyes several times to stop the tears from falling down his face.

And his other parents... Jongin can still remember flashes of them, they were real. Did they also die?

The boy closes his eyes, an ugly grimace shaping his features deeply. He isn’t going to cry. Jongin isn’t going to cry anymore for parents that he didn’t have.

Kyungsoo isn’t understanding what is happening, but his friend must be really sad because Kyungsoo is sure that he is about to cry. “Hey, is everything okay?” He wants to reach out to him. Kyungsoo doesn’t want to see the other cry anymore. That makes him sad.

A hiccup leaves Jongin’s lips. The boy’s misery is tangible in the air surrounding them. “I t-think I don’t have any pa-parents, Kyungsoo-yah.” His voice is low, hardly coming out.

Kyungsoo gets up fast, flying to the chair next to Jongin’s and fastening his arms around him. The other boy finds a safe place in the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck, muffling his contained cries against his friend’s pyjama sweater and hugging hard.

“I know you don’t.” He guessed so since he found out where the other was living. “But you have me. I will take care of you. I promise.” Kyungsoo now remembers Jongin’s first words about where he came from, an institution, and automatically feels depressed for his friend’s unhappiness. He wants to reassure the other. Kyungsoo is going to take care of him forever, hiding him in his room until they grow up and then he is going to buy a house for him and Jongin to live in together. “I’m everyone you need. I’m here for you forever.”

Kyungsoo finishes his meal with the other boy’s head never leaving his shoulder. They clean up the kitchen together next and brush their teeth before going to bed.

That night Kyungsoo locks his bedroom door and after too many failed attempts to bring Jongin to his bed, he ends up sleeping on the floor on Jongin’s bed, the other boy’s shoulders possessively tucked between his arms.

 

January arrives in no time and with it the full force of winter comes along too. It rains most of the days and even snows on some, the air being chilly during the day and icy cold at night. Luckily, Kyungsoo doesn’t have to worry with any of these weather conditions because he’s on winter holidays and he makes sure to take advantage of the climate outside as an excuse to be cooped up inside with Jongin.

His parents frown at his unusual behaviour and even Joonmyeon complains at the lack of time they aren’t spending together, given that holidays were usually spent at each other’s houses. Still, Kyungsoo can’t find it in himself to be bothered by any of their opinions. Not with Jongin’s constant presence, filling his days with more joy and fun than he ever had before.

January is also Kyungsoo’s favourite month because his birthday is on the 12th and he is so excited for the party that he is going to have and for all the presents that he expects to receive. He invites all of the boys from his year (it’s a boys’ party only so no girls are allowed) and Sehun, Joonmyeon and Jongin too of course. He really doesn’t want to invite Jongdae, but Joonmyeon forces him (Kyungsoo is a bit angry at him for that, though he forgives him quickly since Joonmyeon’s present is always the best one).

His mum makes a huge chocolate birthday cake and the house has so many kids, family members and friends that the living room isn’t enough to fit them all. In the confusion is easy to slip Jongin in and later at the end of the party when the last of his friends are going home, to hide him back in the wardrobe.

The boy, after seeing Kyungsoo all excited about his birthday presents, also tries to think about something that he can offer to his dear friend. He didn’t have any money to buy him a present, so he draws him something instead.

Kyungsoo thinks that the drawing is lame and knows that he has a lot of other better presents from his friends, but Jongin’s smile is so earnest and warm and nice that Kyungsoo can’t avoid the urge to hug him to thank him and glues his present on the wall next to his bed.

After all, it is the closest that he will ever be of having his own personal Digimon.

 

As fate would have it, Jongin’s birthday is only two days after his and although Kyungsoo knows that it’s impossible to give him a party like his own it doesn’t stop him from trying something alike. That’s why he and Jongin are here, on the hall of his floor waiting for Joonmyeon to get out of his house (last week he talked in secret with the older boy about Jongin’s birthday and Joonmyeon had promptly agreed in helping him to make it a special day for Jongin).

“Have you ever had a birthday cake?” Kyungsoo whispers. Although Joonmyeon isn’t here yet, he could appear at any moment and hear what he shouldn’t so they must keep it quiet, especially on important secrets.

“I think so… It was a long time ago. I don’t remember well.” Jongin chose to wear his deep moss green coloured jacket with one of his worn out sweatpants and his too small shoes.

Kyungsoo got mad about it. Not only because of Jongin’s extended stubbornness on wearing his own clothes, but especially because it was his birthday and everyone knows that a boy must be handsome with new clothes on his birthday (even his mother said so two days ago). Only by a miracle did Kyungsoo manage to convince him to wear one of Kyungsoo’s nice warm sweaters today. He really has to find a way of buy Jongin some new clothes. “What do you remember?”

“Humm…” Jongin’s scratches his forehead in deep concentration. “I remember my… Mum…” After what happened in the kitchen, Jongin had shared a bit more of what he remembers from his last family with Kyungsoo, nothing going beyond that though. “She was a great cook. Once she made a cake with cream for my birthday. Lots and lots of cream.” Jongin smiles at the memory. “You know this type of cake?”

“Yes, cream cake!”

“Can I eat cream cake today?” Jongin lips turn shyly up, a hopeful gleam on his eyes.

“Do you want to?”

Jongin nods his head eagerly. “Yes, please. I think I really like cake with lots of cream.”

“Then we are going to eat some, okay? Just trust me!” Kyungsoo says confidently. He is going to make today a perfect day for Jongin. “Today is going to be an awesome day! Just you, me, Sehun and Joonmyeon.”

Jongin beams at the promise, already bouncing on his feet in barely contained excitement. They are interrupted by the sound of Joonmyeon’s house door opening. The older boy’s warm smile greets them first thing. “Hello! Everyone is here already! Are you guys all set for a big day?” He asks cheerfully and the younger boys yell in an affirmative choir. “Perfect! Let’s go then!”

They start walking down the hall to catch the elevator, when Joonmyeon adds a gentler ‘happy birthday’ to Jongin. The boy blushes deeply and looking down embarrassed, replies with a soft ‘thank you hyung’.

Once outside Kyungsoo guides them in the direction of the busiest streets, known for their diversity in shops and where Kyungsoo hopes to find a nice present for Jongin. He and Joonmyeon had agreed to buy Jongin a birthday present first and then meet their other friends at the pastry shop to buy a cake and sing Jongin happy birthday.

The other boy has no idea what is about to happen though.

Joonmyeon stops them on the sidewalk after passing by some stores. “I think we need to choose first something that he could like in order to go to a proper store after.” He tells Kyungsoo.

“Hummmm. He likes Digimon like me. His favourite is Agumon.”

Jongin gets really absorbed in the exchange between the others, his eyes carefully studying each speaker alternatively. He thinks he knows who they are talking about.  “Are you talking about me?” He asks Kyungsoo quietly.

“Yes. You like Agumon very much, don’t you?” Jongin nods and Kyungsoo sends a cocky smile at Joonmyeon for receiving the reply that he was looking for. “Joonmyeon-ah is our mortal enemy! He only likes Pokémon!”

Joonmyeon’s words get all jumbled in his hurry to defend himself and he shakes his hands frenetically in the air in an attempt to deny what Kyungsoo said. “No no no. Pokémon is the real deal! Digimon was created after. They were trying to copy Poké-”

“We don’t care about your theories.” Kyungsoo tries to dismiss the older boy and turns his attention to Jongin who asks “Pokémon? Is that one that has Pikachu?”

“Yes, it-”

“Kyungsoo-yah! Don’t influence him in the wrong direction! He can like Pokémon too!”

To make the older boy stop talking about Pokémon, Kyungsoo tries to distract him by going back to their original problem – a birthday present – and he thinks he has found the perfect solution for two of his problems. “Jongin needs new clothes. It would be a great present. Like a new jacket and shoes!” He feels accomplished when Joonmyeon suddenly shuts up.

“Aren’t those expensive? I don’t need anything.” Jongin says, concern clear in his tone.

“It’s your birthday you have to have a birthday present. It’s a must!” Kyungsoo completely ignores the other’s distress. “Is it possible Joonmyeon-ah?”

Still a bit too much into the Pokémon talk, Joonmyeon feels lost and stares at his younger neighbour to try and grasp what is he talking about. “Jongin needs new shoes? And a jacket?”

“Those shoes are too small for his feet-”

“No, Kyungsoo-yah-” Jongin tries to interrupt.

“and hurt him a lot. He needs other clothes too. He has no socks. His pants all have holes-” Kyungsoo continues mindlessly.

“Don’t tell hyung that!” Jongin tries to interrupt a second time, his voice much louder than before.

“How do you know about this?” Joonmyeon questions, a bit doubtful of Kyungsoo’s words. After all his younger neighbour is known for telling lies often.

“He told me. Why? Don’t you believe me?”

“I… It’s not that. But his sweater looks good? Maybe a new pair of shoes will be enough-” The older boy reasons.

“That’s my sweater! He barely has any clothes-”

“KYUNGSOO!” Jongin puts his hands on his friend’s torso and pushes him hard, effectively cutting Kyungsoo’s speech and making the other boy take a few steps back.

Kyungsoo’s is startled by the unexpected touch and looks his friend in the eye, noticing for the first time the damage of his words. “You need clothes. You know it too Jongin-ah.” Kyungsoo says as kindly as he can. He didn’t want to be the one telling his friend’s secrets but Joonmyeon was the only one that could help them with the clothes problem.

Joonmyeon is burning with curiosity. He wants – no – needs to know why Jongin is wearing Kyungsoo sweater. How did that happen? Since when?

“You promised you wouldn’t tell anyone!” Jongin’s voice comes out raw and desperate and hurt and people around them start to notice the turmoil.

If Joonmyeon wants to stop the fight between the two boys that is about to happen, he has to forget his questions and act now.

“Trust me. It’s the best way.” His tone started out low but the more Jongin’s volume goes up the more Kyungsoo’s follows.

“You lied! You-”

Joonmyeon grabs a boy’s arm in each hand and pulls them apart before they get more physical. “Calm down. Don’t be angry! It’s your birthday Jongin-ah. Don’t get mad today.”

“I don’t trust you anymore!” Jongin’s angry tears are now visible rolling down his cheeks. “I hate you.” He screams.

“Jongin-” Kyungsoo screams back, his own tears bursting out.

“BOYS. STOP.” Joonmyeon uses his body to block the youngers from seeing each other. This situation is getting out of hand which could make other people intervene and maybe even call their parents. He has to get them to make amends. Fast. Joonmyeon turns his full attention on the birthday boy, being careful with his words because he doesn’t know him well. “Jongin-ah, he did well. I’m glad Kyungsoo told me. I needed to know! I want to give you a present that can make you happy but that you also need! Please understand him.”

“He promised.” Humiliation sits heavy in Jongin’s gut. He wanted so much to impress the older boy. Joonmyeon is always handsome, kind, playful, smart, dresses well and cares about them – he even buys Jongin’s vitamins. But now, that’s impossible. He will think Jongin is dirty and disgusting and never talk to him again.

“I know. You feel betrayed, don’t you?” Joonmyeon continues to try to soothe the younger. “I won’t tell anyone. I swear,” he promises. “I won’t.” Jongin gazes at the older with the most heartbreaking eyes Joonmyeon ever saw a kid have, which pushes him to try harder – to bring a smile back at the younger’s face. “Your secret is safe with me. After today I will forget that I even know about this, okay? I’m sorry so Jongin-ah. Forgive me. Kyungsoo-yah.” The older boy steps back for the boys to talk now that both are calmer.

“I’m sorry. I just want to help you. You need i-!”

Joonmyeon intervenes before his younger neighbour big mouth brings them more problems. “I know a close shop that has really cool sneakers. What do you guys think about us going there now?”

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo promptly agrees.

“And what about you Jongin-ah? Will you come with us?” Joonmyeon asks gently and because of the lack of response adds, “Please come with us.”

Jongin doesn’t say anything and Joonmyeon doesn’t know what to do anymore. Fortunately, Kyungsoo takes the lead when he asks where the shop is and at the lack of a better solution Joonmyeon starts to guide them there, sighing in relief as Jongin follows them. He doesn’t talk, but Kyungsoo talks to him which seems to relax the younger boy.

At the shop, it has to be Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo choosing some sneaker options for Jongin to try on while he waits on one of the changing shoes little banks with his bare feet awkwardly on top of each other, probably too self-conscious. It’s with sadness that Joonmyeon recognizes the truth in Kyungsoo’s words, the boy has no socks and after he takes off his shoes and puts them neatly near his feet, Joonmyeon realizes the noticeable size difference between them. The younger has been wearing shoes smaller than his feet which must be hurting him a lot. It really is a necessity to buy him new things. Kyungsoo is right.

It takes some time to get a reaction out of Jongin, but finally his eyes sparkle when he tries a blue pair of sneakers with some yellow lightening printed on the exterior sides, a pair chosen by Kyungsoo. “You like these don’t you?” His younger neighbour is also quick to notice.

“Aren’t these expensive?”

Kyungsoo looks at price tag pretending to analyse the value of the money marked there. It was the older boy that was going to pay and Kyungsoo had no idea of how much he could afford. “Not really. Are they Joonmyeon-ah?”

“No. Don’t worry. They are good. Are they comfortable?” Joonmyeon had already looked at the price early and they were actually cheap compared with what his parents usually bought for him.

“Yes. Very much.” Jongin is back to his shy self, feeling better now that everything seemed normal with the way his friends were treating him.

Joonmyeon calls the seller to make sure the sneakers are good on Jongin and once it’s confirmed, he pays and they exit the shop.

They go to a kids clothes shop next and buy a full new outfit (with pants, a sweater and an undershirt), some new underwear and lots of socks. Joonmyeon insists on the boy wearing the new outfit today and after paying asks the seller if Jongin could change into the new clothes in the fitting room, the kind lady cutting the price tags and helping Jongin to arrange his clothes and new sneakers.

The mood changes drastically, finally the happy energy that a birthday should have back and that’s when they decide to head to the pastry shop. Sehun and Jongdae are already there waiting. And even if Kyungsoo is not totally happy about that when Joonmyeon brings Jongin’s small cream improvised birthday cake, he can’t stop laughing and talk excitedly. It’s Jongin’s birthday and they are all together having fun! Is an awesome day like he knew it would be!

Jongin grabs his hand when they are singing him happy birthday and Kyungsoo feels warm and fuzzy inside. He thinks he knows now where to fit Jongin between his other best friends – Jongin is his favourite best friend, his favourite person in the world – and Kyungsoo wouldn’t change a thing about their current situation.