Pregnancy: The One

Baby Daddy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the purest orange pulp there is, MissTangerine.

Every little girl is expected to look forward to their wedding day. This is a fact. Even in the modern world where a woman is expected to have a career, it would seem catching a man is still the predominant socially acceptable goal of women.

Of course, Sandara had always been more than a woman, more than the calling of wedding gowns and engagement rings. Sure, she always believed her true calling was to be a mother, but it had never occurred to her that her strides were ever meant to lead her to a wedding finish line. This was her truth.

It's not like she didn't like weddings or didn't understand the necessity of the event. Heck, as a PR professional she understood events are thrown for more than celebratory purposes but for a statement. In this case, a wedding was stating that two parties have agreed to be economically tied to each other for the rest of their lives. It is an announcement of life long partnership— financially, emotionally, and biologically.

Which to her, makes weddings a strange financial investment. Often times, people save money or loan money just to get that wedding of their dreams when it's... Well, just a superficial night.

So she stood there— amidst all the blooming flowers that will be mostly thrown, or stuck in vases where their dead stems will rot or grow mould— thinking why spend so much on a business agreement that no one is ever sure would last as long as the contract aspires to. So, this whole glamorous shindig was nothing more than a social scam.

Seung hyun hands her a glass, and she nods in thanks, and sips her orange juice and grimaced. The only thing that can make her tolerate weddings was the booze. Of course, having a baby curled inside her uterus wouldn't even let her have that veneer of intoxication that would help her along this extravagant farce.

"You are so pretty tonight, Tokki." Seung hyun blurts out with a self satisfied grin over his champagne flute. He did say he would keep telling her she was beautiful all night. "Pretty like a fairy in the midst of the garden of Eden where hedges of green lush shrubbery lit in fairy lights mimics the starlit sky..."

Sandara fights a laugh that bubbles from inside her chest. It was just, these days, for some reason, Seung hyun makes her unbelievably giggly. She blamed her hormones. She didn't think she'd be such crazy, wired pregnant lady, high or low on progesterone. She takes his champagne flute from him, and grimaced, "you can't go and get drunk on me, Choi. If I'm sober, you're going to have to suffer through this with me."

"Ack. Spoilsport! Did you hear all those Seung hyun, when do you plan settling down? You're not getting any younger! Did you hear those? Ugh, I was going to use you as shield but for some reason the old aunties heard I knocked you up, now it's a freaking level up to why are you not marrying Sandara! How could you? Marry Dara. She's the best thing that ever happened to you! Oh my god, marry Dara. Oh my god! If I hear one more of those I am going to kidnap you and just marry you against your will and shut them all up."

Now Dara could not help the giggles. So she giggles, this nice peel of laughter that colours her cheeks a light shade of pink. "You really do look extra pretty tonight, Tokki. And your mood seems to have improved. That's great." He rubs her cheek with a thumb.

"No," Sandara grabs his hands. "My mood is not better. I feel like I'm going crazy. Deep inside I am super annoyed at weddings, but I can't... I can't stop laughing at everything you say! You're not even that funny. But I laugh and laugh..."

"That's fine. I like your laugh. Don't you think this better than your impromptu cries? I think it's better. I am taking this as a sign that Sae hyun likes me." He pokes her belly.

Sandara frowns at him, "her name is not Sae hyun."

"Why not?"

Sandara lets out an exasperated sigh. This conversation has been on repeat since that night at her mother's home. It's not like she didn't like it. And maybe, she admits, she called the baby Sae hyun in the shower when she absentmindedly reminded herself that she needed to take those prenatal vitamins for Sae hyun. But for the life of her, she couldn't just say yes to that name. It was just... It was her baby! How come Seung hyun gets to name her?

So she begins a very tired argument that luckily the glowing groom interrupts, "Dara." Dong Wook greets her, and immediately, Sandara's cheeks goes aflame.

"Ah! Dong Wook-ssi! Congratulations..." She offers him her hand.

To which the other guy takes as leverage to pull her into a familiar hug. "Thank you! But shouldn't it be oppa?"

"O-oppa?" Dara stutters as she blanks in the hug.

Seung hyun intercepts and pulls his cousin away, "yah! You slimy , get away from Dara."

Dong Wook concedes with a laugh, "haha, seeing you two is so nostalgic! You haven't changed. Dara you are as pretty as ever. And little Hyunie is as over protective as the day I met Dee."

"What do you mean little? I am taller than you." And Seung hyun squares his shoulder, straightening up to his full height. Seeing this, Sandara's unmitigated giggles ensue.

God, if this is Sae Hyun's adoration for her father, Sandara is carrying a little daddy's girl and that is so unfair. So she was laughing and jealous and embarrassed at seeing her ex, which makes her this weird ball of contradicting emotions. Suddenly, she was feeling like she could cry.

Mood swings? More like mood roller coaster. Can someone let her off?

As she laughs and tries not to cry, Dong Wook breaches the sensitive topic of "so I heard you two were having a baby."

And abruptly Sandara stops laughing.

"Who the heck is spreading this?" Seung hyun exclaims. It wasn't like he was trying to hide it or anything, but god if anyone stresses Dara

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter