The Decline

Death Wish

   The brightness of the morning sun glared through the dusty blinds.

   Hakyeon found himself sprawled out on a bed in a dirty motel room. Pieces of broken glass and empty bottles of whiskey scattered around him.      

   The sunlight slowly traveled across the room and reached his eyes. He squinted as the light wakened him.

   He grabbed his head with both hands and sat up.

   He looked at his hands; the dried blood brought back hazy flashes of the night before. He struggled to recollect his memory as he looked around the room for his cell phone.

   “It was just a nightmare. I need to call Woonie. Where the hell is my phone?” Hakyeon mumbled to himself as he moved his hands frantically around the bed.

   He picked up his phone. He had ninety-seven missed calls, all from Rovix. Seventy-six text messages.

   He attempted to speed dial Taekwoon. Straight to voicemail.

   He dialed Rovix, Heejung picked up, “hyung, where is Taekwoon? Why is his phone off?”

   A moment of silence was broken by a calm, soothing voice “Hakyeon, where are you? We need to talk.”

   Silence again…

   “Look Hakyeon, you missed the memorial and press release last night. Jellyfish is here for you. We all hurt as much as you, but we can’t do anything for you if you’re not here. We need to support each other during these times. Now where are you? I’ll send a car. Keep a low profile Hakyeon, please. Think of the rest of the members.”

   It suddenly hit him.

   Hakyeon dropped his phone.

   He felt as if a freight train crashed into his head. He fell back with debilitating pain and an excruciating ringing in his ears. He closed his eyes as images of Taekwoon flashed thru his mind.

   He noticed a bottle of pills on the dresser and crawled over to take a handful. He curled up on the floor and waited for the pain to subside. He picked up the motel phone and dialed Rovix, “help me Hyung!” Hakyeon cried. “I’ll be right there.”

   Rovix arrived at the run-down motel in a out Mercedes with an extra hat and pair of sunglasses.

   His stomach turned as he made his way down the lobby through the smell of stale cigarette smoke and passed the puke-stained carpet.

   Rovix found Hakyeon shivering on the floor of his room. He helped him to his feet, put the hat and sunglasses on him and covered him with his coat. Rovix practically had to carry Hakyeon to the car.

   The car ride to the Jellyfish building was awkward to say the least. Rovix and Hakyeon sat in the back seat. The new car smell was quickly overpowered by the stench of liquor.

   Hakyeon's face was covered in smudges of black eyeliner, his nose runny, his eyes glossed over with a blank stare.

   He fell over into Manager's lap and began to sob, "Hyung, what am I doing? What’s wrong with me? I miss Taekwoon. It's all my fault!"

   Rovix grabbed Hakyeon's shirt collar and pulled him into his face, "Hakyeon, you need to pull yourself together. You're being a selfish punk right now. Do you think you're the only one affected by Taekwoon's death? All of Korea is mourning over this tragedy. You're the leader Hakyeon! The other members are looking to you for support. Look at how you're acting!"

   He shoved Hakyeon back into his seat.

   Hakyeon began to laugh thru his tears.

   Rovix dusted his suit off with his hands and continued, "While you were wallowing in self-pity last night, Vixx had to carry out Taekwoon's memorial without you. Then there was the press release. How are we supposed to announce that we will continue our schedules when the leader is not even present? We had to pay millions of won to the reporters because of your absence!"

    Hakyeon looked over with a disgusted smile on his face. "Is that what this is about? You're mad that I cost you money? Do you even care that Taekwoon is dead?" His speech was slurred and barely coherent.

   "SHUT UP HAKYEON! You're out of your mind. When we get to the office, you're getting yourself cleaned up and apologizing. First to the members, then to the public. We have an important dinner meeting tonight with CEO Hwang. This conversation is over! "

   Hakyeon leaned his head on the car window and sighed. He looked down at his cell phone and noticed a text from Jackson, 'Hyung, lets party tonight! I wanna RAGE! ^_^'

   Hakyeon thought to himself for a moment and replied to Jackson with a smiley face.