Heartache

Death Wish

   "Why did it have to be this way?"

   Hakyeo grabbed his chest as his back hit the bathroom wall and he slid down to the floor.

   His trembling hand holding an old poloroid of him and Taekwoon. Tears streaming down his bronze cheek.

   He tossed his head back and closes his eyes, "I sent you ahead thinking you'd be fine. What a fool. It should have been me. It should have been us."

   He glanced back down at the photo, warped with tears, "Woonie, sleep is rough, I can't seem to let you go. I see you in my dreams and you're telling me you're fine, but how can you be? I left you alone... to die!"

   He jumped to his feet and looked in the mirror. Black eyeliner running down his face. He punched the mirror causing it to spiderweb but it doesn't shatter. He wiped the black from under his eyes and shoved the photo into his coat pocket. He took a step back and after a few deep breaths made his way out of the bathroom.

     Hakyeon walked slowly across the crowded room. He could feel the peoples glares piercing his back. He could hear the whispers,

   "Why didn't he leave with him?"

   "Isn't that the boy who should've been on the flight?"

   Hakyeon struggled to keep his composure as he made his way toward the casket, Taekwoons mother stood next to his picture, her face  burried in her hands, sobbing loudly.

   "Eomeoni, Jwesonghamn---," he is suddenly interupted by a cold hand slapping him across the face.

   "You have no right Hakyeon! Dont you dare apologize to my mother, GET OUT OF HERE!" Taekwoon's sister yelled.

   Hakyeon grabbed her wrists as she struggled to throw her fists against him, "Noona, please!" He pleaded.

   Taekwoons other sister stepped in between them and glared into Hakyeons eyes. "You should go," she calmly said.

   Hakyeon lowered his head and turned around. For the first time in his life, he was the center of attention and he hated it. For the first time in his life there is an uncomfortable moment that he can't break.

   Now he understood. Now he knew what Taekwoon must have felt, all those moments he had that awkward fear in his eyes.