Doctor, Doctor

Love? Hate? Death.

Yunho reacted quickly, catching Jae in his arms as Yoochun ran to the two of them. I looked up to Yunho hyung, who's face betrayed a fleeting glance of panic when our eyes met. The two of them seemed to know what to do, as Yoochun hyung took out his cellphone, dialing a number and placing it to his ear, as Yunho stood up, collecting Jae in his arms.

I came to stand in front of Yunho, hovering around Jae. 'Yunho hyung, what's wrong with him?'

Yunho merely shook his head distractedly, his focus more towards Yoochun. 'Yoochun, where's his medicine?'

Yoochun turned around to face us, his face as pale as paper. 'It's in the car. I left it in the car.'

That seemed to be the destination now, as Yunho stalked off, Jae in his arms. Yoochun and I ran to catch up with him. We reached the carpark shortly. Yoochun still had the phone to his ear, as he started cussing softly. Finally, the person on the other line seemed to pick up.

'Doctor Kim,' he breathed. I straightened at the name. Was that Jae's doctor? 'Something happened.'

I motioned for him to hand the phone to me, but he ignored me. Desperate, I stomped on his foot. He hissed loudly, looking at me like he was about to burn me alive. 'Hand me the phone!' I mouthed.

His eyes burned holes through my skull, but he handed me the phone nonetheless. Alright, if my assumptions are correct...

'Hello?'

'Changmin?' I breathed a sigh of relief. It really was the person I suspected.

'Heechul hyung,' I said, my relief evident. Yoochun raised an eyebrow at me curiously, as the two of us tailed Yunho, who was making way to his car.

'What are you...?'

'Never mind that. Something happened. One of your patients just collapsed. Jaejoong. Small, sixteen, looks like a girl.'

Immediately, Heechul hyung was in doctor mode, his professionalism in his career taking over. 'Symptoms?'
'He broke out into a cold sweat, and started shivering and convulsing. He seemed to have trouble speaking before he collapsed. He had difficulty conveying his message and started becoming restless. Collapse was sudden and unforeseen. He doesn't seem to have any trouble breathing though. Other than his sickly palour, I can't seem to identify any other external symptoms.' I was a medical student studying to become a doctor at the college I attended, so I knew exactly what I was saying.

Heechul hyung started having a swearing party on the other line. 'What food was he given?'

I looked up to Yoochun and mouthed, 'What did he eat before?'

'Ice cream.'

'Ice cream and cake,' I answered into the phone. By now, we had reached the car, and Yunho had placed Jae into the back seat, lying him down. Jae seemed dead, as Yunho cupped his cheeks, and began checking his vitals.

'!' swore Heechul hyung, 'He's only been released for a few hours and--'

'Hyung!' I interrupted, 'Now's not the time!'

Heechul answered by hissing loudly. 'I specifically told them to avoid excessive amounts of sugar. They can't seem to even be able to grasp such simple instructions! If they're not careful, this could lead to the death of Jaejoong! And by the way Changmin, why are you even with them? Shouldn't you be home now? Yah, your father--'

'HYUNG!' I screamed, my voice echoing loudly in the wide empty space of the parking lot, 'STOP DILLY-DALLYING AND ING TELL ME WHAT WE SHOULD DO!!'

Yunho and Yoochun both looked up sharply at my scream. I wasn't in the mood to care.

'His medicine bag. Find the blue glass bottle.'

'His medicine bag,' I motioned for it from Yoochun. He reached into the front seat and took out a black haversack, throwing it at me. I easily caught it, and was about to snap at him to stop being funny, because there was really no way such a freaking heavy and huge bag could be Jae's storage for medicine. But then I heard the gentle click of glass and the jingle of pills, and I realised that holy he wasn't kidding around.
I searched around for the bottle Heechul was talking about and found it. 'I got it,' I said into the phone.

'Good. Search for a syringe. Inject 10mm of it into Jaejoong. From there, tell Yoochun and Yunho shi to drive to Seoul Hospital. I'll meet you there. I'll need you to accompany them, Changmin. They need a trained medical personnel in case of emergency.'

I nodded, before realising he couldn't see. 'Alright we're coming.'

I ended the call and threw the phone back to Yoochun, who caught it effortlessly. 'Yoochun hyung, Yunho hyung, get in the car. Heechul asked to meet him at Seoul Hospital as soon as possible. He asked me to accompany you two in case of an emergency.'

Yoochun hyung nodded his understanding and slid into the driver's seat. I slid into the back seat, crouching down to the cramped floor beside Yunho. 'Yunho hyung,' I said gently, placing a hand on his arm.

He turned to look at me, and the amount of emotions filled in his eyes made me flinch. Fear, worry, panic, anger and fury was all rolled into them. I tried to look him in the eye. 'I need you to trust me,' I said softly, 'I need you to ride shotgun. I'll need space to work on Jaejoong. I'm trained and I'll know what to do. So just leave Jaejoong to me. I can help him, but I'll need space.'

Yunho seemed to hesitate, before nodding. He exited the car and went to ride in the seat on front. Almost immediately, Yoochun hyung floored it. I fell over at the speed he was going at. My passenger door wasn't even closed, but it did when Yoochun made a wild bend. I struggled to steady myself, rummaging through the bag for a syringe. I found it.

Amazing, I thought, that Heechul hyung gave them syringes. I opened the vacuum sealed packet enclosing the syringe and took off the alcohol dipped cotton swab wrapped around the needle. A thought crossed my mind, and I rummaged through the bag once again.

I was impressed. They even kept alcohol wipes in the bag.

I stabbed the needle at the tip of the bottle, extracting the exact amount Heechul wanted. I tapped the needle gently, pointing it toward the sky, as I squirted a tiny amount of liquid out, destroying any bubbles of air trapped in the syringe.

Taking out air in syringes was important. People have been known to die from small bubbles of air located in their blood vessels. Air inhibits movement in the vessels and causes clotting if not attended to.
And right now might not be the best time to tell you about this...

I rolled up Jaejoong's jacket sleeve to give him the injection, intending to inject him in the crook of his elbow, as most injections are made. And gasped loudly at the extent of injuries I saw. I nearly dropped the syringe out of shock.

Black, blue, purple and red marks littered the small limb. I had only rolled the sleeve up to just above his elbow, but still that was a lot. His wrist was bandaged, there were many forced injection marks at the place where I was about to inject him, which lead me to believe that he wasn't a big fan of receiving injections. There were finger shaped bruises, large ones that seemed to come from a burly adult, that looked like giants compared to his frail, skinny arm. Someone who had pressed, or even pulled too hard? Or rather, someone restraining him? There were also scratch marks running up his uncovered arm. His knuckles, which I had only just noticed, were heavily bruised.

Was he... Abused? Or did he do self-harm?

Some of the bruises looked too precise to be none other than self-inflicted, yet some looked too painful for one to do to one's self.

I blinked and shook my head. Now was not the time for such thoughts. I wiped the alcohol swab on the crook of his elbow, before gently injecting him, careful not to touch the bruises, or even leave another one.
I extracted the needle from his arm, and pressed gently on the mark it left behind. I didn't know why, but my vision started blurring with tears.

He must've gone through so much. He must've been in a lot of pain. He must be really sick.

I couldn't stop myself. Fueled with curiosity and a growing sense of dread, I rolled up his other sleeve. The jacket was a size too big for him and he had a tiny frame, so rolling it up to just below his armpit was no problem.

What I saw made me gasp aloud. My hand flew to cover my mouth, which had hung open. I fell to the car floor, landing on my in shock.

It was littered with bruises and wounds of all shapes and sizes, not to mention colours. His other wrist was bandaged as well. His forearm looked like it went through one hell of a rugburn and what looked like self inflicted cuts was layered on top of it. The finger-shaped bruises were there as well, along with forced injection marks. The skin of his elbow was red and purple, as if he had used it to hit one thing too many and another set of deep scratch marks decorated the whole length of his skinny arm.

My heart went out for this boy. My tears spilled over as I began panicking. If his arms were like this, then what about the rest of his body? Who would do this? And who in the world would do this to himself?

I had a weird feeling in my gut as I shakily got up to get on my knees on the floor. I couldn't bring myself to lift his shirt up and inspect his other wounds.

'Changmin?'

I spun around to see Yoochun looking at me through the rear view mirror. I guess he saw the look in my eyes, as he turned around to glance momentarily at me, concern etched on his face, as if there was something wrong with the mirror that he needed to check on himself. His face morphed from concern to sympathy as our eyes met. He quickly turned back to keep his eyes on the road. 'Hey... You don't need to worry so much. Everything will be okay once we reach the hospital. I really trust Dr. Kim, so I have confidence that Jae will be alright in his hands.'

I turned back to look at Jae, my heart pumping marathons as I held on to his hand. I heard Yoochun comforting Yunho as well, though he was merely received with silence. I'm pretty sure the dark aura I was feeling growing behind me was from Yunho hyung. I ignored the two of them, concentrating on Jae.

Please be alright. Please be alright, Jae. My free hand was gripped in a tight fist, as my tears continued falling.
I was crying for a boy I had only met a few hours ago. I was riding in the car of my college senior who I barely talked to in school. I guess Appa won't be very happy if the first person I administered medication to without any outside supervision died.

Yoochun made a sudden turn, and I realised that we were already in the hospital compound. I saw Heechul hyung waiting in the ambulance receiving area surrounded by other doctors and nurses, and a stretcher, which I presumed would be for Jae.

I pointed out my discovery to Yoochun, and he floored it, heading their way, missing a nurse by a few inches, braking to a halt in the 'no unauthorized vehicles: ambulance only' zone. Yunho and Yoochun flew out of the car, while I remained frozen inside.

The car door on my opposite side flew open, and I saw a doctor and a few nurses inspect Jae, plugging him into an IV drip. I hurriedly backed away at their presence, leaning against the other car door, trying my best to not appear like a frightened mouse. A few moments later, some male nurses entered the vehicle, presumably to carry Jae out, and I began hyperventilating at their close proximity. I squeezed my eyes shut and placed my hands over my ears, trying to convince myself that they weren't there.

I think I heard someone say 'Doctor Kim, Mr. Shim Changmin is inside.' There was a short pause, before I heard running footsteps and Heechul hyung say 'bring the patient to the ER. I'll be there shortly.' The car door I was leaning on suddenly opened. I opened my eyes in shock and held my arms out behind me to brace my fall. Instead of the asphalt floor however, I fell into someone's arms. I freaked and spun around, barely able to breathe, only to be crushed into Heechul hyung's arms once again.

I was already winded from hyperventilating and him wrapping his arms around me didn't make breathing any easier. I saw Jae being wheeled inside, though I didn't see Yunho or Yoochun hyung, and I started squirming, wanting to get out of the hug.

'Heechul hyung,' I gasped, barely able to get air in my lungs, 'Let go. Let me go.'

Heechul answered only by holding me tighter and I guess the lack of air left me weak. 'Changmin,' I heard him say, 'Calm down. Breath. Just breath okay? Follow the rhythm. Breath in, breath out. Breathe in, breath out.'

I complied, and slowly, I was able to breath properly once again, though the tightness in my chest had yet to disappear. Heechul hyung let me go, placing both hands firmly on my shoulder as he looked me up and down. 'Better?'

I smiled wearily, pounding my chest lightly to indicate what was it I wanted. He understood, reaching into his pocket and pulling it out. An inhaler. I held the thing to my lips, inhaling quickly to get the tightness out of my chest. Almost immediately, it was gone. I exhaled a sigh of relief as I handed it back to him.

Heechul smirked. 'Keep it.'

'You know I never do,' I answered.

Heechul gave a short laugh, before he shook his head. He took the inhaler from my hand and instead placed it on my pocket. I scowled and was about to say something sarcastic when he looked over my shoulder and smiled, bowing slightly.

'It seems we meet again,' he said, using his professional doctor's voice.

I spun around and saw Yunho and Yoochun standing behind me, blank faces on.

Oh... No wonder I hadn't seen them with Jae. They were right behind me.

Yoochun bowed to Heechul hyung. 'I'm sorry if we had to cause you inconvenience once again. It seemed I underestimated your warning. It was Jaejoong's birthday, so I thought...'

Heechul cut him short with a wave of his hand. 'Mistakes happen. Why don't the three of you follow me to my office. We'll discuss about Jaejoong at a greater length there.'

Heechul hyung started walking, pulling my hand, forcing me to keep up as Yunho and Yoochun followed behind him. I glanced behind me for a while to see the both of them look at me worriedly, before Heechul draped his arm over my shoulder, forcing me to look in front. I was half-dragged to his office, Heechul hyung walking hurried steps. The four of us entered the office, only to have Heechul hyung exit the moment the three of us were inside.

'Just wait here, while I take care of Jaejoong,' he said, smiling to Yunho and Yoochun sweetly and bowing. He was about to close the door when he suddenly looked at me, a scary look in his eyes. 'That includes you, Changmin ah. You better not run.' He turned to look at Yunho and Yoochun again, his sweet face back on. 'I hope the two of you can make sure he doesn't.' Yoochun hyung nodded uncertainly. Heechul smiled in return, before looking back at me with daggers in his eyes. 'Don't run, Changmin ah!' I nodded innocently, and Heechul hyung slammed the door shut.

I could've sworn I heard the click of a lock.

I sighed when I heard his footsteps disappear and rolled my eyes in irritation. I made my way to the only bed located in the room and sat on it, bringing my legs up to my chest as I leaned against the wall. Like most hospital beds used for checkups in clinics, the bed was made of leather and despite my height, made my legs dangle off the edge. I made a support out of my arms as I rested them on my kneecaps, before I rested my chin on my arms. I coughed a few times until I lapsed into silence.

'Changmin? You okay?'

I looked up to see that Yoochun had asked, his face full of concern. I smiled back. 'Yeah. I'm fine. It's just... Asthma.'

Yoochun came to lean against the bed, his eyes gazing at me softly. He pat me on the head softly.

'It's not just asthma, is it?'

I froze at the question, my heartbeat speeding up. I looked up to Yunho hyung, who was leaning against the wall in front of me, his cool gaze piercing my body. I gulped at how quickly he caught on. And Damn, did he have the scariest gaze in the world.

*****************

 

I love making long updates~ ^^