Three

Sailing Souls: A Hanbin and Lee Hi Story

Lee Hayi woke up early that day, earlier than usual, as she had something to look forward to, unlike other days. That day, she would go meet Daniel Armand Lee, a professor at Seoul National University.

Daniel was the youngest professor in SNU and he had asked Hayi to meet him in the campus, though she had no idea what for. She had previously met Daniel while during her weekly performance in Hongdae, where Daniel suddenly introduced himself after she performed and asked that she meet him at the university with her guitar.

Hayi would usually deny such an invitation from a stranger, but she wanted to know what Daniel needed her for.

She also had nothing better to do, anyway.

You see, after high school graduation a few months before, Hayi decided not to apply for college because she couldn't afford it. Her parents were long gone and couldn't pay for her either.

Tch, screw them. Who the hell needs them, Hayi would say to herself every time she thought of her dead parents. She had buried the memories of her parents and vowed never to remember that fateful night. She had no love left for her parents.

After her parents died when she was 12, Hayi lived in an orphanage, and she hated it. Every single person, every single food she ate, and every single day she spent at that rut was a nightmare. The kids were noisy and the caretakers were cruel, and not to mention the rooms, which had the most disgusting smell.

So Hayi looked for money by playing music, the only thing she knew she was good at. She played in cafes, subway stations, sidewalks; everywhere there were people. She saved every single penny she received from playing music, and she got out of the orphanage the second she had enough money to rent an apartment, just last year when she was 17. Although now her apartment was small and far from the city, it was decent compared to the orphanage.

Hayi took the subway that day to Seoul University. Fortunately, she secured herself a seat right by the door. As usual, Hayi put on her headphones and closed her eyes.

---

"You're probably the best musician I've ever seen in my life."

Those were the first words Professor Daniel told Hayi when she entered his study room in the campus. But Hayi wasn't flattered; she was there to know what he needed, not to hear some bull praises from some music professor.

What is that even, a music professor. You don't need to study music, Hayi thought to herself.

"So what do you need?" Hayi asked assertively.

Daniel was taken aback at her lack of response of his praises.

"I see you don't like small talk," he chuckled. "I need you to help me with my class, and I'll pay you each month," Daniel said from behind his desk.

Hayi raised her eyebrows and slowly nodded, as if asking him to keep talking. I do need a job...

Daniel motioned for Hayi to take a seat in front of him. His study room was neat and clean, like offices you would see on TV. He had dozens of certificates framed, and dozens of pictures with different musicians, from Paul McCartney and Elton John to Jay-Z and Frank Ocean. This guy must be the real deal…

"I need you to teach my students about--"

"Not interested," Hayi cut Daniel off before he could continue. There was no way in hell she was teaching dozens of kids her age for what she thought was such a pretentious field of study.

"Okay then, I won't force you," Daniel shrugged. "But if you change your mind, come back here on Monday September 29 and we'll get to work."

Hayi got up from her seat and headed for the door.

"Hey, Lee Hayi," Daniel called. Hayi turned her head around to face him. "Me saying you're the best musician I've ever seen wasn't small talk, by the way."

---

It was that night of the week again, the night where Hayi would perform in Hongdae. Although she was nervous at first, she came to enjoy performing. For Hayi, it wasn't about how much audience there was or how many people would clap; for her it was being able to share her story with others.

Hayi wrote all of her music based on her life and all of them were deeply personal. For most people, music was something they would listen to once and easily forget later, but for Hayi, each song was a story waiting to be told and waiting to be heard.

That night, Hayi decided to play one of the first songs she composed, called "Because", which was a song about her relationship with her parents. She had been exceptionally emotional that night because it was the anniversary of her parents' death. As hard as she tried to forget it, she would always remember it, and she would always be confused whether to feel sad or angry.

Hayi's long time friend Kim Jiwon knew how much that song and that night meant to her and offered her his company for the night, but, Hayi being Hayi, she pushed Jiwon away.

"Are you sure you're okay?" a concerned Jiwon asked Hayi with his eyebrows raised, scrutinizing her expression with his small eyes.

"I'm fine. See you around, Jiwon-ah," Hayi replied, faking a smile, although she knew Jiwon could see right through her. She waved goodbye and walked away, leaving a worried Jiwon who waited until she was out of sight.

Jiwon was Hayi's neighbor back when she still lived with her parents and he knew exactly what the girl had been through and made a promise to himself to look out for the girl no matter what happened.

Strangely enough, after the performance, a suspicious figure kept on following Hayi from the sidewalk to the convenience store after. Although Hayi was scared (it could be a kidnapper or a robber for all she knew), she mustered up the courage to confront the tall figure.

"Is there a reason to why you're following me?" Hayi asked, not a hint of fear in her voice. What she saw wasn't what she had in mind.

It had been a young boy following her, probably around her age. He was wearing a thick pullover jacket, a scarf and a beanie. He looked surprised and Hayi's sudden actions.

"So?" Hayi asked, raising her eyebrows at the boy's lack of response. The tall boy just stood there staring at Hayi, his eyes wide.

"I'm Hanbin. Kim Hanbin. I'm a fan of your music," the boy said, finally snapping back to reality, cracking a cheeky smile which marred his default resting face. He stretched out his right hand to greet her and asked, "And your name is...?"

Hayi cautiously raised her right hand and slowly greeted Hanbin's. "Lee Hayi."

---

yes, by Daniel Armand Lee, I do mean Tablo.