Two

Sailing Souls: A Hanbin and Lee Hi Story

Hanbin's first week in college was uneventful and rather dull. Hanbin had applied for Seoul National University's college of music hoping that he would learn something new or meet people who had the same passion he had about music.

But thus far, he's learned nothing new nor met any passionate people.

In class, Hanbin really did stand out from his classmates. He could singlehandedly answer all the questions from the teachers and he spent his days in class quietly scoffing and rolling his eyes at the students who were unable to answer the easiest of questions.

"Oh come on now, how did these people even get accepted..." Hanbin had muttered in protest to himself.

Two weeks after college started, his father came home for the first time in months. Irritated, Hanbin would always stay out after classes and come home by midnight, only to leave again before sunrise before his father awoke; he resented his father that much to make an extra effort just to not see him.

One chilly afternoon after class, Hanbin decided to take a subway to Hongdae. He had been to every corner of Seoul just to escape his father. Hongdae was a place he loved; it was crowded and dynamic, with a lot of culture and a taste of music here and there, a place where he could interact with different kinds of crowd. Hanbin hadn't been to Hongdae for years after his older brother Jiyong passed away and his heart ached a little while going down memory lane, thinking of the times he had with his brother in Hongdae and how he fell in love with music in the first place.

With his hands in his pocket and a scarf tied around his neck, Hanbin walked to the sidewalk in front of Purple Record music store, where he and his brother often came to watch underground artists perform in a modest setting at the sidewalk. There was a small stage set up with several instruments. A handful of people were busy setting up musical equipments for the performance. From what Hanbin remembered, there would be five artists performing each night.

After the stage was set up, a girl got up to the stage and sat in front of the piano, followed by a boy sitting on a stool holding a guitar. Despite the cold, dozens of people started to gather around the stage.

Hanbin watched the stage from afar, afraid to come closer as it would remind him of Jiyong.

"Hello, everyone. I'll be performing a number of self-composed songs. Please bear with me," the girl joked to the crowd through a microphone in a deep, somber voice which was somewhat soothing.

She took a deep breath and began singing, accompanied by only the piano and guitar.

 

Why is this my fault? It’s all your fault

How is this for me? It’s for you

Stop beating around the bush – it’s so like you

 

Hanbin slowly walked towards the stage. Her voice was pulling him in. The song fit her voice just right and the lyrics were perfect.

 

If it’s really for me, if it’s really my fault

Then stop calling me, I won’t pick up

I hope you’re unhappy – I’m sorry, that’s a lie, a boy

 

Hanbin jostled through the crowd to get a better look of the girl. She was singing a sad song, yes, but her voice made Hanbin's heart beat, something which hadn't happened since his brother died.

 

You can forget me, you can forget all of me, you can be happy now
Just know one thing – I lived because of you

 

Hanbin gaped at the girl, his eyes wide. She was singing so passionately, with her deep and clear voice. She closed her eyes as though she was feeling every word in the song. For a moment, he had forgotten about his father, his late brother and his long-gone mother.

It's her, Hanbin thought to himself.

It was the small girl from the subway, the one Hanbin had been thinking about for the past few weeks or so. She had been stuck in his head; her face, the way she wore her headphones, the way she carried her guitar, the way she looked effortlessly beautiful while only wearing overalls over a shirt.

This time, the girl was wearing a denim jacket over a grey shirt, with black pants and black boots. Hanbin was in awe that such a strong, soulful voice came from such a small girl. She kept her eyes closed the whole time she was singing, but her fingers managed to accurately press all the right notes on the electric piano.

Hanbin watched her; her face, her hands. He listened to every single note.

"Thank you," the girl smiled somewhat sadly after she finished the song. The crowd clapped, some nodded in approval of the girl's obvious musical talents. She bowed and got off the stage.

Hanbin quietly watched and followed her.

The small girl quietly packed her electric piano and put it in a bag. She bade farewell to the boy who accompanied her on stage (his name was Jiwon, Hanbin had heard the girl call him) and heaved her bag and walked off. Hanbin scurried after her, making sure to keep his distance.

Why the hell am I following her, Hanbin asked himself, shaking his head in disbelief of his own actions. Even he couldn't understand why his feet lead him to her.

The girl walked into a convenience store and Hanbin followed her inside. She picked up a bag of chips and walked to the cashier and quickly paid up.

With Hanbin still eyeing and following her, she walked back outside onto the less crowded part of the street. She slowed her steps, stopped her feet and suddenly turned around to face Hanbin, who stopped a little too late and almost bumped into the small girl.

"Is there a reason to why you're following me?" the girl fearlessly snapped at Hanbin, despite the boy's tall body towering over her small physique.