One

Sailing Souls: A Hanbin and Lee Hi Story

Kim Hanbin woke up early that day in September for the first day of college. Although he tried not to care much, he was anxious. Although he tried not to show it, he was nervous.

Hanbin was an easy going kid, but other people were always scared of his default rude face, which made it difficult for him to make friends. At the same time, though, Hanbin was a serious person who always put his studies above everything else. He was competitive by nature, and he's never lost a single competition in his life.

After much thought, Hanbin had applied for Seoul University's college of music earlier that year, much to his father's displeasure. Of course Hanbin was accepted, with his excellent musicality. His father, Kim Jungjoo, thought music was a waste of time. And of course he would, as he was quite a successful businessman, probably one of the most successful in South Korea. Hanbin's father didn't come home much. Thank god he's not home, Hanbin would say to himself each day he found his father's room empty.

Hanbin, without getting much sleep, heavily got up from his bed and lazily walked to the bathroom inside his bedroom for a quick warm shower.

He quickly dried up and put on his usual outfit; a black beanie, black hoodie, baggy jeans and statement sneakers. Hanbin looked in the mirror and tilted his beanie to the left. He considered it his signature.

...

The metro subway to Seoul University was packed that day, as it was the first day for all its students, but Hanbin managed to get a seat by the door. Hanbin's usual routine in the subway was to listen to music and close his eyes until arrival.

Hanbin put on his headphones and searched for a tune from his iPod. He clicked on Frank Ocean's Sweet Life and sat back to relax.

He would usually start to close his eyes, but he couldn't this time. He caught himself staring at the girl across him; a small blonde girl with plump cheeks and long eyelashes, wearing a short denim overall skirt over a white t-shirt, with white sneakers on her small feet. Much like Hanbin, the girl had on her headphones. She relaxed and closed her eyes, occasionally tapping her feet or bopping her head.

Hanbin stared at the girl for what seemed like hours, admiring every feature on her face. Something about watching the girl made Hanbin feel relaxed.

Hanbin felt a jolt of shock as the girl suddenly opened her eyes and immediately caught Hanbin's. They exchanged gazes for a milisecond; the girl non chalantly looked away while Hanbin's eyes lingered on the girl's face.

The girl stood up and got off the subway, her small figure heaving a backpack on one shoulder and a guitar case on the other.

The girl was finally out of sight and the subway door closed. Hanbin shook his head back to reality and searched his surroundings for a clue to where he was.

"," Hanbin muttered under his breath when he realized he had missed a stop.