Shop Till You Drop

Sugar Free

Chapter Soundtrack: Magnetic- GOT7

After school the next day, Jackson dragged Celeste out to go shopping with him. His excuse has been that he needed some alone time with her since all the other boys had classes with her. Celeste was more than happy to accept. There was never a dull moment when you hung out with him and while she gave him a hard time, she genuinely adore her friend.

 

“Candy!” Jackson waited for her outside the gate to their school and waved vigorously at her when he spotted her walking toward him. “I missed you!”

 

He ran over to her and gave her a bone crushing hug. 

 

“Jackson!” She groaned. “Can’t. breath.”

 

“Whoops!” He let her go only to take her hand and she gulped down air. “Ready?”

 

“Yeah,” She shifted her backpack straps on her shoulder. “Can we get something to eat first? I’m famished!”

 

“I’m always up for food.” He dragged her away from the school and toward the mall.”How’s some street vender food sound?”

 

“Oo yeah!” Celeste grinned. “I haven’t eaten from a street vender in a long time.”

 

“That’s a crime! You need to have it at least once a month!” He looked at her, deadly serious. “We’ll have to run. This is a grave emergency.”

 

“What- No we- Jackson!” She yelled at him as her started running toward the mall, her hand still tight in his grasp. 

 

“Let me go! I’ll punch you!” Her voice was breathless as they ran further. 

 

“We’re almost there, Celeste! Hold on! Don’t give up yet!” He smiled mischievously.

 

“Jack- huff- son! Wang!” 

 

He finally let her go when they got to a food stand. While he went to order something, she was hunched over, trying to catch her breath. A minute later, he came over and handed her a giant turkey leg while chowing down on his own with his other hand. 

 

Celeste wordlessly took it from him before punching him in that arm.

 

“Ouch!” Jackson pulled away from her and looked at her, shocked and wounded. “Candy! What was that for?”

 

“I told you I’d punch you if you didn’t let me go.” She tore off some of the meat with her teeth and started eating.

 

‘And I bought you food. Don’t bite- uh- punch the hand that feeds you!“

 

“Well, now we’re even.Thanks for the food.” She said thickly through her food. “It’s really good!”

 

“Candy…” Jackson whined. “Why are so mean to me… I love you.”

 

“It’s called tough love, honey. Get use to it.” They were quiet for a moment as she winced and what she said. “Sorry, Jackson. That was too mean. You know I care for you, right?”

 

“Yeah, I know.” He glanced down at the ground and smiled sweetly.

 

“Good.” 

 

They took their food with them as they walked to the mall. 

 

“So,” She started in between bites of turkey. “Why did you bring me shopping with you today?”

 

“I told you, Candy. Because all the guys get to spend class with you but I only have lunch with you.” He poured.

 

“Besides that. Like, what are we doing today? Window shopping? I didn’t bring my wallet with me today so I can’t exactly buy anything.”

 

“I need some help finding some formal clothes. And since you always dress so nicely, you can help me find something! Your dress is really cute today, by the way.”

 

She glanced down and smiled at her dress.

 

“Thanks! It’s a Mary Magdalene!” She spun around in her dress to show it off. “It was really hard to find! They normally sell out the second they have more in stock!”

 

“Really? Well it’s s good thing you go it. It looks so good on you, I’m pretty sure it was made for you!”

 

Celeste lightly punched him as she looked to the ground bashfully. 

 

“Aw, you shy baby.” Jackson cooed.

 

“Shut up! Don’t call me baby! I actually hate being that.”

 

“Really, why?”

 

“It makes my skin crawl.” She shuttered slightly at the thought. “The only time I’ve been called baby is when I’m getting catcalled or some middle-aged man is trying to ‘put me back in my place.’ I hate it more than anything.”

 

“Ugh really?” Jackson grimaced. “Sorry, I didn’t know. I won’t call you that again.”

 

“Thanks, Jackie.” Celeste reached up and ruffled his hair. “ ‘Preciate it.”

 

“You’re welcome. I’m not going to call you something you don’t like. I call you candy because it’s cute like you and it kind of embarrasses you but you still like it.” He put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him. “It’s only fun because you don’t hate me for it.”

 

She smiled. “You know, when I first met you I thought you were a dudebro .”

 

“What? Me? An ?”

 

“Yeah. Like, you’re so loud and you never stop joking around. Plus you wear snapbacks like 24/7. Most dudebros do that. But nah, you’re a really nice guy. You respect girls and their opinions, you love your mom more than anything in the whole world, and you look out for your friends and change the topic if it makes them uncomfortable.”

 

“Thanks, Celeste.” He grinned at her. “You’re pretty great too.”

 

“If you tell me I’m not like other girls I will punch you. I swear, I will punch you so hard you’ll land on Pluto. No, not even Pluto. You’ll land on an exoplanet!”

 

Jackson let out a high pitched scream as she put her arms on his shoulder and pulled him even closer while holding up a threatening fist.  

 

“You’re like every girl on earth! You’re all amazing goddesses who deserve respect!” Jackson cried.

 

“Good boy!” She let go of him and smiled, satisfied with his answer.

 

“One of these day you’re going to kill a man, Celeste.”

 

“What do you wanna bet it’ll be you?”

 

“How would that work? I’d be dead so I couldn’t pay up!”

 

“You’re death is more than enough.”

 

“Oh dear god.”