The Long Night

Sugar Free
Mark looked around the small cabin that Celeste had found. It looked like it was only meant to be a temporary shelter for people if the got trapped in a storm. There was barely any room to breath and all that was in it was a first aid kit, some canned food, and things to warm yourself up with. He’d take it. He shoved Celeste in the Cabin ahead of him and slammed the door shut behind him.
“There’s a heater!” Celeste cried happily has she ran around the cabin. “And blankets! We’re saved!”
Mark looked over and saw clumps of snow fall of her jacket and to the wooden floor. While he could care less about the floor, Mark worried that she wouldn’t be able to warm up soon enough in a half frozen jacket.
“T-Take off your Jacket,” He instructed her as he took of his own that must look just like hers. “It’s covered in snow.” 
“‘Kay,” Mark looked away as she took it off and went to grab a blanket. He shoved it at the bottom of the door too keep even the littlest bit of cold from sneaking in the cracks. “Come over here, the heater is nice and warm.”
Celeste had settled in front of the portable heater. Color was slowly returning to her cheeks and she wasn’t shivering as hard anymore.
All at once, relief hit Mark. They were safe. They were in a cabin with warmth and food and they were safe. The whole time they were out in the snow, all he could think about was getting her to some place warm. He didn’t care about his own safety, all that mattered was hers. Thank god she was alright. Mark sat next to her and hugged her close to him with a kiss to the cheek. He pressed his face against the crook of her neck and sighed contently. Celeste hugged him back.
“We’re okay, Mark. We did it. I’m alive and you’re alive, too.” She ran her fingers through his hair and he pulled her closer.
It was fine for him to show this vulnerable side of himself to her. They had just been through something terrifying. If he wasn’t reacting this way it would just be worse for him. He needed a safe release of all the bottled up terror and confusion he felt for the past few hours. Mark had been so sure just before they found the cabin that they were going to die. He had almost confessed to her, too. He was so afraid that they wouldn’t make it to safely that he almost told her that he loved her. His grip on the back of her shirt tightened.
Everything was going to be alright now.
***
Mark’s aunt stood at the window to the lodge, looking out at the storm. There had been no sign of Mark or the girl he had brought with him for hours now. She bit at her nails anxiously. Now three people were missing. She had gone to the park rangers one last time to see if she could wake them up earlier. They had actually gotten up this time but ha been very unhelpful. Until the storm was over, they wouldn’t send anyone out to find them. They didn’t want to risk anyone else getting lost.
And while the old lady understood that, she couldn’t help but feel miffed. Mark had enough money to buy this entire resort. His family made more money in a year than the people who worked there made in their whole life. Did that not make him worth anything? Wasn’t he worth the risk? When he was saved by rangers, his family would probably donate a lot of money to the resort to show their appreciation for saving his life. She had tried to explain that to the rangers but they had just apologized and said they send out people as soon as possible before going bucket bed.
And Jinju was out there as well. What would she do if something happened to her? The girl was the daughter of a very important and well off friend. They wouldn’t be happy that their daughter had been harmed under her care after they had entrusted her safety to her. They might sue her! What would she do if Jinju didn’t come back? How could she sooth things over so they wouldn’t be-
“The storms gotten really big, hasn’t it, Auntie?” A soft, sleepy voice can from behind the old woman, interrupting her from her thoughts. “It’s hard to sleep over the wind. It’s so loud.”
The women spun around in surprise and came face to face with a sleepy Jinju, looking significantly less glamorous in ratty old pjs and make upless.
“J-Jinju?” She looked at her as though she had seen a ghost. “When did you get here?”
“I’ve been here all day. I was going to go skiing but I fell asleep in the bathtub by mistake,” She struggled as if that was a normal occurrence for her. “Why do you ask?”
“I thought you got caught in the storm!” She ran over and gave the model and suffocating hug. “I was so worried.” Suddenly, she started. “But- But that would mean- I sent Mark to find you!”
“In the weather?” Jinju’s eyes widened. “Are you crazy?”
“It wasn’t this bad earlier.” She tried to excuse her mistake. “I just wanted him to take a quick look around to see if he could find you but he hasn’t come back yet.”
“Oh god.” The model paled. “He’s out in a snow storm by himself.”
“No! He took the girl with him. What was her name…” She trailed off as if she knew her name.
“Celeste?” Jinju supplied.
“Yes!” She hoped that was really the girl’s name so she wouldn’t get called out on her bluff. “They went together to stay safe.”
“I hope they are safe.” Jinju’s eyes were furrowed as she looked at at the snow covered mountain with a sense of fear that she’d never had before. She didn't feel tired anymore. Nerves chewed at her stomach and she bit her lip. She sat down at a chair by the commons room fire and waited, her eyes never leaving the windows.
It was going to be a long night.
A/N: Ah!!! We're already ten chapters into this story!! What do you guys think so far? For me, these chapters have been just a bunch of charcter delevopment but I'm trying to make this as interesting as possible for you guys. Once we get all that out of the way then we can get to the good stuff! And I have a lot planned for this story so I hope you guys will stick around! See you guys next week!