Chapter 5

Nothing Can Change the Past

Bomi POV

It’s only been 3 days since Chorong unnie told me to get out of her life, and yet I still can’t grasp it. Before during lunch our table was full of laughter and joy, but now it was quiet and depressed. Eunji, Naeun, Namjoo, and Hayoung have all tried to cheer me up, but nothing seems to work. Chorong unnie stopped hanging out at our table and only hangouts with Minah. She would sometime say hi to the others, but they never really response because they’re mad at how much she have changed. I’m glad I still had them because they believed my words. I just wish Chorong unnie would have too. I’ve been thinking a lot lately why Chorong unnie being with Minah bothered me so much beside the fact that Minah is just using her. I realized that I am in love with Chorong unnie. Not having her in my life makes me not want to live. As much as I love her a part of me is also really mad at her. How could she? I thought she would always take my side, be there for me, and always support me. I was beyond wrong. Everyday when I walk home I can’t help but feel so empty because Chorong unnie and I used to walk home together everyday. As I opened the door to my home my parents greeted me right away.

“Bomi-ah can you go to the living room? We have something we want to talk to you about.” My dad said. As I made my way to the couch I was getting nervous because only serious stuff happens when my parents tell me to go to the living room.

“as you know my work is always moving around. This time my boss wants me to work at the main building in California,” my dad said

“a..a..are we gonna move there then?! For how long?” I asked almost shouting

“honey relax,” my mom said, “ the great news that it’s only for a year and we’re giving you a choice. You could take a break from school here for a year and come with us or stay at Eunji’s house for a year. It’s all up to you. You have until tomorrow to decide” after that they walked to the kitchen. I made my way up to my room. If the Chorong unnie thing never happened I would have instantly agreed to stay here, but now I’m thinking about going. Maybe it’ll be good for me. I can take a break from here. Suddenly my phone rang causing me to come out of my thought.

“YAH Bomi! What is this I hear about you moving to California?” Eunji shouted

“how did you hear about this? I just heard it myself 10 minutes ago”

“your parents asked my parents if you can stay for a year in case you don’t go. You’re not thinking about going, right? School won’t be the same without you!”

“I don’t know, I’m actually thinking about going” I said

“nooo unnie!” “don’t leave” “noooo” I heard multiple voices on the other line. I guess the others know too.

“yah guys don’t be such babies. It’ll be only for a year! It’ll past by before you know it” I said trying to calm them down

“so you’re really gonna go?” Eunji said, “yah! Bomi unnie! You’re making my girlfriend tear up!” I heard Naeun say. Wow Eunji must be realy affected by this…

“yah unnie you’re making my girlfriend cry!” Namjoo said. Aiish these kids making me feel bad.

“stop it! Let’s all hangout tomorrow, okay? I’m leaving the day after, so let’s have fun before I leave”

“alright alright. Let’s have a picnic tomorrow” Eunji said after calming down.

 

The Next Day

We all gathered at our usual spot and sat down. I looked around and noticed something was off…”yah where’s the food?” I asked

“holy f… none of us brought food for a picnic” Eunji said face palming herself

“usually it’s Chorong unnie that prepares the food and everything” Hayoung said quietly

“speaking of Chorong unnie, Bbom unnie, are you gonna tell her?” Namjoo asked only to get hit in the head by Eunji.

“I’m not gonna. She told me to get out of her life, so whatever I do shouldn’t matter to her” I said, “let’s just go out to eat then, my treat.” The younger ones cheered. They all walked hand-in-hand which made me feel like a fifth wheel. Although that thought soon disappeared when Hayoung grabbed my hand and gave me her adorable smile. I’m glad to have such great friends. We spent the day eating and just hanging out and talking to each other. When it was time for them to leave they each gave me hugs and kisses on the cheeks, which made me feel love. I’m really going to miss them, but it’ll only be a year so I’ll see them soon.