Chapter Five

The Flame Princess (DISCONTINUED)

OKAY, I need to say… Flame drives really crazy. Since the roads are crack, many little rocks hit the car and all four of us jumping up and down like crazy in the car.

“Uh, Flame could you --- rock!” Jieun warns. “Could you, drive carefully and not grab attention.”

“Yeah, we don’t want to attract zombies or bad people.” Says Suho, “And animals!”

“Who cares, there’s no one…” before Flame could finish her sentence, she hit the emergency brakes real hard and we all depend on gravity. When the car stops abruptly, we all look up to see an innocent rabbit in front of us. Surprise, surprise, a rabbit is in the way.

“What the hell?” Flame curses.

 

Just then, the innocent brown rabbit hops a bit to the side and a zombie pops out and eats it. We scream and Flame hits the pedal and literally hit the zombie and we feel the truck go up and down like a small hill. Jieun feels gross out, while Suho try to keep it together like a guy.

“I haven’t seen a zombie for months.” Says Suho, he takes a bit of his food and sighs in depress.

“Me too,” Jieun and Flame say together. I notice that I have been awfully quiet in the car, when either Jieun or Suho ask me a question, all I can say is a yes or a no.

 

We stop for a while after an hour, it is the old rest area that was once famous for its food and shops. We get down the truck and explore the area, I am glad it is a zombie-free zone. No one is there but us and some creepy creatures lurking.

“So, Jieun brought food and we can eat here,” says Flame.

“Why can’t we eat in the truck?” I ask, “It’s much safer.”

“Are ting me? It’ll smell and attract creeps.” Flame rolls her eyes, I really think that’s her thing, rolling her hazel eyes.

 

What did they bring? A whole picnic, oh wait, its kimbap, some chicken with peas and beef. It’s great and delicious.

While we’re eating, Flame stands up and walks to the back. As curious as I am, I follow her. “Where are you going?” I ask.

“Washing my hands,” she replies. I put my hands near hers and wash along, I smile, I don’t know why but that is just plain idiot move. She looks at me all weird and pushes me to the side and continues washing her hand, I push her and wash my hand, she pushes me again and this time she blocks me.

I tickle her, my hands over her waist. I’m surprise that she’s ticklish, she giggles and it is the cutest giggle ever. She tries pushing me away but I am too strong and we end up facing each other.

 

Her body press against mine, her arms resting on mine when my arms are hugging her waist. It feels warm and my heart beats fast like lightning.

We stare for about a minute when she blinks a few times and let go of me. “We should, uh, get back.” Flame rubs her nape and walk away. Did I scare her? That was a stupid move, way to go Chen.

 

“Okay, we have to move quickly.” Says Flame as she claps her hand.

“What, already?” Suho’s mouth is full of kimbap making him sound stuffy. Flame nods and helps Jieun pack up the leftovers. While packing, I notice something or someone from afar. He is just standing there, not sure if looking over here or behind, strange.

“Suho, do you see something there?” I point at the man. Suho’s eyes widen, “ that, let’s go! It’s a ing zombie and he sees us!” he tries not to scream but the zombie sees us and walks slowly towards us, well, limping towards us.

 

All of us keep on cursing and Flame starts the truck really slow and we become impatient. “Just drive!” Jieun shouts.

“Chill the crap out, it’s just a zombie.” Says Flame, her hands shake nervously and I notice it.

“A zombie,” Jieun panics, “Look around, there’s a bunch of them for sakes!”

“Chill, we are going to survive when we move already!” Suho shouts again.

I stay quiet, I know Flame is panicking that’s why she’s freaking slow.

 

The truck jets and we barely escape from the lifeless creature.

“Wait, I thought the zombies are afraid of light?” ask Suho. We all hum at the same time, which is a great question. “Right, zombies that are afraid of lights are half vampire, the ones that are not afraid makes them the real zombies.” Flame explains, she knows best and I think I stare at her for too long. I can see the corner of her eyes looking at me.

 

“Half vampires,” Jieun says flat and unsurprised, “This city is weird.”

“It gets even weirder,” I say.

“We have to find Sora, does anyone remember where she stays when she left us?” ask Flame.

“It’s always where she feels like home,” Suho blurts out, “Like the apartment where you used to stay.”

Flame only nods, she knows where exactly she’s going and somehow I trust her. We pass by abandon houses, people hiding looking for shelter and the truck is the only one alive roaming around the misty road. There are cracks, holes and cars that are left for over years until they rust and unused.

 

I don’t know but being in this journey makes me feel sleepy.