Late night encounters

Silent Protectors

Jae-in trudged into her apartment, slamming the door behind her. Not giving a damn about her neighbors. She threw her boots onto the couch and stumbled through the dark, straight into her bedroom. The girl ungracefully flopped onto the bed and wriggled around to get comfortable.

 

Just as her eyes were shutting a loud blaring echoed throughout the room. Jae groaned and peeled off the black-blood soaked material from her body, fumbling around for her phone concealed inside the dress. The brightness of the screen made her hiss before she answered it grumpily. 

 

"What do you want?" She spoke venomously into the phone. 

 

"Corner of Anne & Burne Street." The person on the opposite end spoke, amusement in his voice. 

 

" off." She replied, removing the rest of her accessories. "Get someone else to do it."  

 

"But Jae, sweet beautiful Jae. You're the only one for the job." The person spoke, the smile in his voice irritating her. 

 

She groaned loudly, sitting up on the bed. "I hate you." She said. 

 

"I know, now hurry up." The voice replied before the line went dead. 

 

Jae swore to kick him in the shins next time they met. She threw her phone onto the bed before tiredly walking into her wardrobe, changing into all black flexible gear. She grimaced as the smell of smoke and sweat still clouded around her. 

 

Once arriving at her destination, the devastation was obvious. 

 

What a mess, Jae internally tutted. 

 

She strode over to the body of a middle age man whose body was splattered across the road. Whatever it was had torn into his neck the proceeded to cut a jaggered line down the middle of the man's body. Her ear twitched as a small bang was heard, echoing down the quiet street. Jae quietly moved away from the dead man's carcass and crouched in the shadows of a dark alleyway. 

 

A large creature came into view. It reminded Jae of the animal humans call horses, only it had six red glowing eyes and four tails. Two sets of razor sharp teeth lined its mouth and it was fully black, allowing it too blend into the night effortlessly. Jae herself wouldn't have not have noticed it if she didn't have heightened senses. 

 

The creature dug its mouth into the dead body on the road, destroying it more. 

 

Jae-in silently retrieved her bow off her back and removed an arrow from her belt, loading it. She lifted her weapon and aimed for the creature's heart. 

 

Before she could let her arrow fly the creature looked up. Jae flattened herself against the wall again, carefully watching the creature as it sniffed the atmosphere. It made a growling noise as it faced its back to her, and began to walk in the opposite direction of Jae. She stalked behind the creature, careful not to alert it of her presence, curious to see what had caught its attention. It growled again, deep and low. Jae moved around the four-legged menaissance to see a young man. The boy was walking down the street, texting, completely oblivious to his surroundings and the creature. When he looked up, it was too late to run away. The creature had locked onto him, it's six eyes blazing. 

 

The boy's jaw dropped and his phone slipped out of his palm, clattering to the pavement loudly. He stood frozen, paralyzed with fear. Jae could practically hear his heartbeat racing. 

 

Jae-in rolled her eyes and shifted to make her move before the stupid boy got murdered or had a heart attack. She slid the bow back into its sheath and opted for a long shining blade, balancing it at the tip of her fingers. She took a deep breathe and ran up behind the creature, jumping onto its back roughly. It whined and flung its body side to side, attempting to shake her off. Jae smirked and drove her blade into the creatures neck. The creature bucked forward, flinging her off its broad back. She used the momentum to flip and landed directly in front of it, effectivly making a barrier between the creature from hell and the shivering human.

 

Well aren't you gorgeous, she thought, staring into its eyes. 

 

She smiled and whipped out her bow and arrow again. Without hesitation, she released her arrow, hitting the creature between the eyes. The creature screeched loudly before falling to the ground, quietly whimpering and trembling. 

 

Jae kneeled in front of the creature, gently pulling out her arrow before standing up again to retrieve her black-blood soaked blade from its neck. She its mane as it gave its last huff. Jae-in stood back from the dead creature and pulled out her lighter, holding it to the carcass. She watched in satisfaction as the creatures body burned quickly before evaporating into black smoke. Jae yawned as she placed the lighter back on her belt.  

 

"Ack." 

 

Jae-in looked over her shoulder, for the source of the strangled noise behind her, only to come face to face with a very pale looking boy. 

 

Oh yeah him. 

 

"W-w-what was t-that?" The boy asked, shaking. He pointed at the spot the creature was just a few moments ago. He looked up and made direct eye contact with her. 

 

Jae stepped back, startled. 

 

"What was that?" The boy asked again, his voice rising. 

 

Jae stood still, not exactly sure what to do. 

 

"Oh my god this is it, I have finally gone insane." The boy said, laughing quietly. " I need to stop hanging out with the guys." He shook his head as if to clear his thoughts. 

 

Jae's personality resurfaced and took the wheel. 

 

"You can see me." Jae-in spoke aloud. 

 

"What? Of course I see you." The boy asked, looking at her confused. 

 

Before he could register what happened, his world turned black.