Moonlight

Autumn Leaves

"We have to ask if you could free your Saturday, this week, yes.. Yes. In the morning, yes. Yes. We will send you the address.."

Jiyong was impatiently tapping his fingers on the conference table as we both watch our manager talk on the phone. I had a very rough week, and it was just Thursday. He went to the coffee shop this week, and I thought it was one thing off my list, but he didn't even bother explaining our documentary to Jaewon hyung. I had to come by yesterday, while he blamed it on hyung not calling me when he left my phone number. 

Jiyong was my besfriend for so many years that I already lost count. He sure depended on me a lot, and sometimes he'd bail on me. But he was still the most loyal friend.

Such were things two guys couldn't always talk about, but we knew that we were bestfriends. 

I nudged him and gave him an angry look. "Aside from your genius chapter idea, what else did you do?"

"I'm sorry," he grinned. Again. He kept apologizing with that grin.

This time he took off his annoying shades and tossed it on the conference table. If I could, I would have strangled him with the red scarf he was wearing. "Shut up."

Our manager hang up from the phone call and turned to face us. "Saturdays would work for them." 

Jiyong and I both nodded at the same time. "Free up your Saturday," I reminded him. 

"Why did we even choose a small website?" 

The manager looked at me. It was my idea. 

"You'll be surprised. Besides, if we air it on TV, it would just be another celebrity TV show, it wouldn't even look like a documentary." 

"It's not like we're worth being on a documentary."

"Didn't you say it was a good idea, too?"

"I only said that because you said it was a good idea."

"You're lying."

"Fine."

"Trust me, you'll be surprised." 

"Can you stop arguing, both of you?" Our manager hyung interrupted. "Make sure to free your Saturday, and be on your best behavior." 

"Fine, it's my day-off but I'll have to work with a 'small' website.." Jiyong muttered.

The manager would believe Jiyong was telling his true feelings, but not me. I knew he was just pretending. 

"It's a small website, imagine the pressure they're feeling, that they have to work with us?"

"They should have said no. Or we should have picked our own company's website," my bestfriend almost yelled, glancing at me. I took a look at my manager who shook his head. 

"Kwon Jiyong, don't act like you didn't know how to start small," I knew my manager warned me, but I said it anyway. He was annoyed, but I was more upset with him. "And don't even complain with our arrangements when all you gave was one idea for a chapter." 

It was a genius idea. 

Jiyong's tone changed. "But you said it was perfect, didn't you?" 

Sheepish Jiyong was back. 

I laughed. "Just answer Reiko's call."

He sighed jokingly and shook his head.

After an hour, TOP-hyung, Daesung, and Seungri joined us for a meeting. 


 

Friday night.

The light from the coffee shop shined on the dark narrow street. Jiyong stopped the engine of his car in the front of the stoned wall, a block away from the coffee shop. This particular street wasn't popular, not a place for youngsters, party-goers to hangout laughing around. But for professionals meeting up, older people catching up with each other, for couples having secret affairs. It was a quiet nook. And it's Seoul, so no one really cared. 

Jiyong almost reached out for his shades on the passenger seat, but he got his cap and mask from the glove compartment instead. His shades was his statement, and wearing already became a reflex. But it was too dark to use it. 

He pressed his cap violently against his head, wore a rather plain face mask and got out of his car. His steps were heavy, but sure. The coffee shop, he forgot, was open until past midnight. He called his barista hyung, and told him he would use the backdoor. "Sure, I will unlock it. I have a reservation for a group so I can't entertain you now."

Jiyong found it funny that a barista would ignore him, GDragon, for his customers. But it felt funny good.

The spring breeze was warm only for his hands - his whole face was almost covered by the cap and the mask, his coat hiding his white shirt. He switched from his ripped jeans to a regular one. 

He couldn't remember the last time he took a walk in the night by himself, moreso, feeling the night breeze with his face. Maybe he could lay down on The Brown Comfort on the rooftop to have the feeling again, he thought. What a relief that hyung didn't give that one away. 

Jiyong turned right to a narrow alley and he couldn't help but chuckle behind his facemask. The wall lights that he and Youngbae sticked outside their studio wall were awkwardly placed on the yellow-painted wall that was the old owner's house. He took a step and noticed that the floor felt different. He realized that this was the official front door for the owner's house. She probably took a lot of effort in making this narrow alley as pleasing as possible for her and her daughter. There were stone patterns, a short stone staircase with three levels, and then it was pure, white tiles. The wall lights beamed yellow rays, reflecting on the stone and the tiles. 

In a few more steps was a porch area that was almost just two meters, roofed with a glass canopy that lets the moonlight true. A couch tucked in the corner. A beige door was roughly on the right, with a doorbell and a peephole. 

Jiyong wasn't the type to sit around, or more accurately, he was no longer the type to sit around aimlessly. He would click on the doorbell and wait for it to be opened, but he didn't even look at it - not even a glance. 

He took a sit on the beige couch, overlooking the whole narrow alley, and the exposed quiet road sharing a bit of the moonlight with his space.  

"Have you been well, Kim Taeyeon?"

He thought to himself, and his memory of the smaller young woman waving goodbye to him on that exposed road, came rushing to him. Eight years ago, as he looked down on her from the rooftop, he knew he would meet her again. It was possible to go to Jeolla-do. He could go there without his parents knowing. He could ask Youngbae to come with him. 

And they did meet, a few times.

Until the chances stopped coming.

As if they used up all of them.