Chapter 7

Private Messages

Yoseob settled on the couch, his phone hung limply on his hand. 2016 was turning out to be a disaster of a year for him so far. G.Na had been swept up in ion rumors earlier that year. He had managed to get a hold of her as soon as he could, but all she could tell him was that she was fine and let Noona handle everything herself. It’s been months since he last had that call. He hadn’t been able to contact or hear from her ever since. And while that in itself was enough to drive someone mad, a more pressing issue had turned up concerning him and his group.

They finally made the decision as a group to leave Cube and set up their own company. They had dismissed the contract renewal and was going to pave their way on their own terms. Only… Hyunseung wouldn’t be leaving with them. His heart hurt and the unshed tears on his eyes were blurring his vision. Hyunseung had quit the group a good few months earlier and maybe he hadn’t quite accepted this fact, because it still hurt when everyone else in the group had stayed put and only Hyunseung had stood up, never looking back at the group as he entered the office to sign his contract renewal.

The image of Hyunseung’s back had been a constant plague in his mind. He wanted to talk it out with the rest of the group, but they were in similar states and he feared that any negative talk could fracture the good will they were trying to put up for their fans. For once, their Kakao group chat was quiet. No ugly stickers from Doojoon, no lame puns from Junhyung, no slow replies from Kikwang and no words of encouragement from Dongwoon. Even his dog wasn’t near him as Yanggaengyi was currently staying with his older sister.

He brought the phone up to his face, wanting to check the time, when his wallpaper made him pause. It was a recent picture of him and Eunji. They were both smiling, but he had cropped the picture a bit so that Eunji was front and center. She had slapped him for doing so, but couldn’t persuade him to change the photo anyway. Eunji’s bright smile was infectious, because despite his rotten mood, he still found himself smiling.

He missed her. While BEAST’s popularity had declined, Apink’s was on the rise. They always had been stars, but under Loen, they became superstars. While this meant less opportunities for them to see each other, he was proud of them. He truly was, especially as a sunbae who had watched them grown. However, with them currently on tour, she wasn’t somewhere he could reach. And as much as he’d love to hear her voice or for her to soothe him, he couldn’t do that to her now. Not when she needed to concentrate on this tour and not when he was unsure of what their schedule was like.

A ringing sound caught his attention. When he realized that it was the door, that confused him further. He hadn’t been expecting anything and it was too late for package deliveries. Thinking that it might have been one of the members coming over, he was surprised to see a man with the uniform from his favorite chicken restaurant on his video intercom. Curios, Yoseob opened his door. The man gave him a smile and a “Online order for Yang-ssi. Enjoy your chicken!” before he placed a clipboard in Yoseob’s hands. Yoseob unconsciously gripped the pen the delivery boy handed to him and signed somewhere on the clipboard, his eyes on the box in the guy’s hands.

The guy grinned after seeing the signature and proceeded to promptly plop the warm box to Yoseob’s limp hands. The delivery guy then proceeded to bow and left with a small wave. Yoseob still couldn’t comprehend what had happened when he finally went back into his apartment and could only stare at the unopened box in front of him. Different scenarios went through his head ranging from a wrong delivery to a bomb ticking inside the box.

Needless to say, it almost gave him a heart attack when his phone started ringing and vibrating at the same time. The scare was so bad that he almost threw his phone to the floor. It settled after three rings and in the time it took to calm his heart, it dawned on him that it was just a text message. Lifting the phone back to his face, he quickly unlocked his phone when he read the name of the sender. What he read made him smile.

Oppa, I heard. I’m sorry I can’t be with you right now, but I’m sending you my love via chicken. Please take care of yourself and of course, I will do my best here so you don’t worry about me. I will talk to you soon. Saranghae. – Eunji.”

That earned a smile from him and he proceeded to open the boxes. He paused when he felt the three rings and opened another message from Eunji. “I may not be there with you, but please don’t forget that you have other people that can share your burden with you.” He took a few bites from his chicken and it strengthened his resolve. He opened his kakaotalk and started typing. What began as a somber evening soon turned into a tear filled but memorable night.


“IT’S NOT WHAT YOU THINK, JAGIYAH!”

Eunji had to hold the phone a good foot away from her ear as soon as she answered the call from Yoseob. She had been rehearsing for her first solo concert all day and had just sat down to check her phone when she received the call. Before she could even ask what, Yoseob went on a full out monologue. From the rapid words coming out of his mouth, she could only understand a few words, but the words, “dating”, Shin Go Eun Noona and tabloids were very prominent.

Since she couldn’t interrupt him whenever he went on these rants of his, she decided to just open Naver and search it up herself. The first result that popped up was an article that read, “Yang Yoseob rumored to be dating musical co-star Shin Go Eun”. She opened the article and it went into detail about how they were very loving with each other and seemed to be openly affectionate on set.  

She sighed, “Oppa, is that it?” This caused a pause in Yoseob’s ranting. She could almost hear the wheels turning in his head before he tentatively answered. “You’re….not…mad?”

Eunji leaned back in her chair, fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist. It had been a gift from Yoseob on her birthday. She had told someone in passing, most likely Bomi or Chorong who were usually Yoseob’s “spies”, that she thought the bracelet was cute. It truly shocked her a few months later when Yoseob presented her with the gift.

She knew how important she was to Yoseob, but it didn’t stop her from teasing him. She put on her best shocked voice and gasped, “Unless, of course, the reason you are denying this so loudly…”

“NO.” Yoseob’s shout interrupted her. He coughed and said in a softer voice, “No, jagiyah. I swear on my pride as a singer, on my honor as a filial son, on my-“

“I was teasing, oppa.” She said, finally letting the grin creep into her voice. “Besides, I would never doubt you for a second. I don’t understand why you got so riled up about it. It says on the same article that you’ve already gotten your agency to deny all the rumors.” She cheekily added, holding the phone closer to her ear. “Oppa, I know you’re smart enough not to cheat on me. We have too many eyes and ears for that, what with how affectionate you are backstage. The first person to beat you up will be me.”

He let out a low chuckle, “Never mess with a Busan girl, huh?”

Eunji grinned, “I’ve trained you well.”

The afternoon passed with little to no incidents and when she arrived home, she was greeted with a bouquet of red roses and a plastic bag of supplements for . She accepted the gift with a small smile. 


“Oppa, what are you doing?”

Eunji just had finished rehearsing when she had walked into a very curious scene. Yoseob in a corner of their dressing room wasn’t too weird, but the fact that he had a small stack of cards in one hand and a sharpie on the other hand is weird. The couch he had been sitting on was littered with bouquets of different arrangements of flowers. (She could immediately tell which one was hers as all her favorite colors were on it.) He smiled upon seeing her and he immediately came closer. She expected the kiss on the cheek, but getting handed the stack and sharpie was confusing. Upon closer inspection, she realized that the cards were from their concert and were already filled with all the other APink members’ signatures.

“I got Chorongie to hand them out and they were all pretty fast about it.” He said as if to answer her question. He then gave a thumbs up to Chorong, who was walking around the dressing room checking up on the girls. She saw the thumbs up and gave one back to him before getting pulled away to talk to someone. Yoseob gestured for Eunji to sit in his spot, while he plucked a bouquet, the one with red and yellow flowers that she was eyeing earlier, and gave it to her. She took a big sniff at the flowers before setting them down on the table in front of them to take the sharpie instead. She shot Yoseob a sly look, “Are these flowers bribes to make your hoobaes do your bidding?”

“The cards are going to be bribes to my fellow soldiers, so please sign it prettily.” Yoseob said with a waggle of his eyebrows. “The flowers are for congratulating you on a job well done and for being pretty ladies,” he joked, while pinching her cheek. This earned him a series of boos across the room. That made Eunji laugh and Yoseob mock pout. “That’s it. I’m gonna take all of these back with me.” That just earned him another series of jeers.

Eunji rolled her eyes and continued to sign the cards as Yoseob got up to mockingly scold the rest of the room. She could hear more laughter at the end of the room and something she liked to call Yoseob’s unnie voice. She eyed the tiny refrigerator in the corner of the room and took another look at Yoseob, who seemed keen on entertaining the others. She sneaked over to the refrigerator and peeked at the tiny cake inside and then quickly closed the door again.

It was sweet of Yoseob to spend his birthday watching their concert. Given that he was going to enlist in less than 20 days, she knew that his days of freedom were limited and in between the end of his radio show and saying goodbye to his family and friends, it was amazing that he could come in the first place. She was really going to miss him for the next two years. While they couldn’t see each other every day, they settled with numerous video calls and texts. Given that social media was limited in the military, she knew that he would want to use those precious minutes calling his parents, so talking with him would be far and in between. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes.

A hand laying over hers startled her and looking down, she realized that she had been scribbling on the same card for a while now effectively ruining that card. “Ah, mian, oppa.” She didn’t look at Yoseob, not wanting the tears to fall, and remained stubbornly looking at the card in her hand. It wasn’t until she felt his thumb caressing her hand with the one still holding hers that she burst into tears. He sighed lovingly, took her into his arms and started rocking her. He comfortingly whispered unto her hair and continued rocking her until she completely calmed down.

“Noonim, please make her look the prettiest.” She would later hear him say after several kisses and more tears from both of them. She had effectively ruined her makeup to the point that they had to meekly endure a scolding from both of their managers and a pleading to the stylist to fix her makeup. She was able to surprise Yoseob with his cake eventually and they had shared it with the rest of the girls.

He left the dressing room half an hour before they were meant to be on stage. He gave her one last kiss, on the forehead this time, and told her, “Eunji-yah, please don’t be sad. This isn’t a goodbye. It just means we get to see each other less. We’ve lasted this long…what is two more years?” He took both of her hands and pressed a kiss to each of her palms. “Now, I will be deprived of your voice for a few months, so give me the best show you’ve got.”

 A note from me:

Honestly, 2019 was a bad year for KPOP, in general. Highlight lost an integral member and while I thought it was a harsh punishment, I would've never looked at him the same way again if he had stayed. There is a lesson to be learned from this and that'll probably be: choose your friends wisely. There is still some part of me that wishes he stayed in Highlight, but if he did, the group will never recover from the backlash. 2020 isn't turning any better either. Our first piece of good news is that our Yoon leader will be done with enlistment in 9 days, but like our goodbye to him in 2018, he won't have any fans waiting for him during his return. While this is sad, please stay inside everyone.

I most likely will not write a story on this departure. I might if I ever get over the heartbreak, but this is a bigger blow than Hyunseung. While Hyunseung left for reasons unsaid and gives me more creative liberty, Junhyung's story is a bit more sensitive. 

On to a bit of the lighter side, I wanted to write a little snippet of Yoseob's first and only dating news so far. It's funny because I thought the actress was Eunji at first glance, so for Yoseob to have a dating rumor with her made me laugh. It's not my best written story, but I wanted to portray Eunji as strong and confident in Yoseob's love for her, especially after the IU story, to show how far their relationship has come. Character growth right there!

The third story came from the news that Yoseob attended an Apink concert right on his birthday (give or take before or on if Twitter is to be believed) I'm not sure if this tidbit is true as I haven't seen any fancams or any other news on this, but it makes the inner Eunseob fangirl in me squeal.

(screenshots of the tweets: https://www.mediafire.com/view/pwz0c0oiyd63nce/yoseobApink.jpg)

So this didn't take me 4 years again, but this will probably be the last until after everyone comes back from enlistment. Until then, thanks so much for reading! Stay safe everyone!