Chapter 5

Private Messages

Eunji was steaming, while Yoseob was still oblivious. 

Well, this is unusual.

Both Yoseob and Eunji were emotional and expressive people by nature, but when it comes to their relationship, Yoseob is usually the more possessive and affectionate one among the two. When it comes to jealousy in the relationship, it can often be associated to Yoseob, seeing as many, including himself, consider Eunji to be one the prettiest and friendliest people they will ever meet.

 So why exactly was Eunji mad at Yoseob?

 Yoseob sighed dreamily and Eunji’s eye twitched.

 Normally, the dreamy sighs and eyes filled with love would’ve been directed at Eunji and she wouldn’t have a problem with that. But, for some reason, all that attention is directed toward another person: another girl to be exact.

 “She’s just wonderful.” Yoseob sighed again, eyes never leaving the other girl. Eunji merely rolled her eyes.

 Fine. Maybe Eunji wasn’t angry at Yoseob…not yet, at least. But there was a definite negative feeling bubbling within her very being. She was irritated, annoyed and dare she say it: she was jealous.  Straight up jealous.

 Now, the question: who exactly was she jealous of?

 Music started blaring once more and the fans, and Yoseob, much to her dismay, started cheering as well. And when he started following the fan chants, “IU, IU, IU,”  Eunji huffed from her position beside him, now embarrassed and still sorely jealous.

 She thanked heaven that they were in the comfort of his apartment, although it was still embarrassing since she could hear Hayoung, Chorong and Naeun’s giggling, Dongwoon’s movement in the kitchen and Doojoon’s loud voice.

 Eunji had wanted to visit Yoseob’s apartment for a while now, so she arranged for Hayoung, Chorong and Naeun to come along with her. And to make things less awkward, Yoseob decided to invite Dongwoon and Doojoon since the other members were busy. They arranged a barbeque party with his small grill to commemorate APink’s first unofficial visit to his apartment.

 At first, all was well. After the girls “oo-ed” and “ah-ed” over everything in his apartment, the group went on their way to start preparing for the barbeque. And as Yoseob was preparing the grill, Eunji made the mistake of turning the television on. There, on his flat screen TV, was IU’s performance, playing out in high definition. And thus began Eunji’s dilemma.

 “If Eunji is a dongsaeng-pabo, then Yoseob would probably be an IU-pabo.” She could hear one of her members say. She merely grumbled in her seat and glared at them, while Yoseob was still obliviously cheering out loud in his seat. So, this is what Yoseob must have felt like when she ignored him for Minki.

 Eunji breathed a sigh of relief once the final notes of IU’s performance played out and Yoseob had stopped jumping on the couch. With a sigh akin to content, Yoseob plopped back unto the couch and draped his arm around Eunji’s shoulders. “Yah…That IU is really something else.” Yoseob said with a hint of awe in his voice.

 Eunji tensed and shrugged his arm off of her before giving her his back. She can see the rest of the people moving outside to give the two some space. “Wehgurae, Eunji? Did I do something?” Yoseob asked with a clueless expression on his face.

 “Aniyo, oppa.” Eunji said with a pout, crossing her arms. “Why don’t you just go and be with your beloved IU?” She then proceeded to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water and to get away from him. She knew she was overreacting a bit, but what girlfriend would be comfortable with her boyfriend fanboying so hard to another girl who is not only the same age as her, but is prettier and cuter than she was? It didn’t help that Yoseob was also an idol. Unlike other IU fanboys, he had a higher chance to be with her.

 Just as she was about to turn back, strong arms encircled her to trap her against the kitchen counter. “C’mon, jagiyah. Don’t be like that.” He rested his chin on her shoulder when he felt her starting to struggle. “I can fanboy sometimes, just like I know you fangirl over other male idols.” His arms tightened around her at that and Eunji didn’t have to look back to know that his eyes had darkened with jealousy.

 When Eunji turned to deny that, Yoseob merely raised an eyebrow, which made Eunji grumble an affirmative under her breath. “I may be an Uaena, but I will always be a bigger Pink Panda.” He said as he pecked the side of her neck, but then he interrupted her again before she could say anything. “No, wait. In fact, I will be the first fan of your official fan club!” Yoseob chirped excitedly. “I’ll come up with a name, put up a website…”

 This time, Eunji shut him up with a kiss. Suffice to say, Yoseob didn’t make a fanclub (Eunji was too embarrassed for him to do that) and Eunji didn’t get too jealous anymore after that…maybe?

 Oh, and the others came back to continue the barbeque party afterwards.

 -----

Out of all the APink members, one puzzled the head stylist more than the rest. “Eunji-ssi, how about something new for your comeback?”

Eunji looked up from her cellphone to face the mirror. The hair stylist was fiddling with her hair. “You’ve had almost the same length since your debut. How about for this time, since you have a summer theme going on, we cut your hair short? See? Hayoung-ssi, has chopped her hair.”

The stylist swiveled her chair so that Eunji would have a better look and true enough, Hayoung was clapping in glee when the other stylist unveiled her hair to her. Eunji touched the tips of her hair as if contemplating it and just as the stylist thought she was going to say yes, Eunji smiled apologetically at her. “Mian, unnie. I’d like to keep the length.” She then turned back to her cellphone, which made the stylist merely sigh before combing through her hair, wondering what to do with it.

At that moment, the bell chimed and an excited shout of “Oppa!” from Hayoung signaled the arrival of Dongwoon into the parlor. His voice resounded through the parlor as he approached the receptionist,  “Anyeonghaseyo. I have an appointment at this time?” The receptionist smiled at him, “Ah, yes. For judging today at the King of Masked Singers, right?” The stylist turned back to work on Eunji’s hair, but both she and Eunji turned around when the receptionist spoke up again. “How about you, Yoseob-ssi? What would you like to do today?”

“Oppa?” Eunji asked and the stylist noted that there was a hint of excitement in her tone. Yoseob’s voice followed, “Aniyo, it’s fine. I just dropped by to accompany Dongwoonie. I have to get going soon.” The stylist then remembered to resume her work and she asked Eunji to turn her head back to the front, which she did. She noted that Eunji’s eyes followed the every movement of the shorter boy through the mirror before she deflated when he escaped from her view and the bells chimed to signal his departure.

Before the stylist could comment or say anything, Dongwoon walked up to them after greeting Hayoung. “Ah, anyeong. Eunji-ah. Hyung told me to give this to you.” Dongwoon said with a charming smile. He handed her a long-stemmed rose and a note. He was then called to sit down by his stylist and he waved goodbye at them, but Eunji was too busy opening up the letter to notice. 

The stylist managed to peek at the note before Eunji hastily closed it up.

“I came here to see you, not Dongwoon. ;) See you tonight, jagiyah. PS: Your hair looks amazing.” 

And that’s when the stylist remembered reading somewhere that Yoseob loved girls with long hair and looking at the young woman in front of her who was twirling the rose, blushing and smiling madly, she could piece together why Eunji refused to change her hair length and with a secretive smile on her face, the stylist went back to work. 

---- 

“Ani! Eunji, it’s “when I first saw you”, not “when I first saw your”.” G.na scolded, while holding up the lyric sheet. Yoseob was in a corner quietly reviewing his part, so as not to be scolded by the older woman. 

“Unnie…English is too hard!” Eunji whined, throwing the paper unto the table with frustration. This made Yoseob look up from his lyrics to look at her. 

G.Na sighed, “The key to this song is proper pronunciation and the emotions in it. Eunji-ah, if you don’t get the meaning right, the song won’t come out right either. Having proper English diction will also help you out with international fans.”  G.Na patted Eunji on the shoulder, this time with more warmth and an encouraging smile. “I’m sure you two will do great and knock your competitors’ out. You got the melody and everything right already. You just need to practice more on your English.” At this, Eunji gave her a small smile as well.

Looking up at the clock, G.Na smiled apologetically. “Mian, Yoseob, Eunji. I have to get going. I have to pick up Tokki from the vet.” Both women laughed when Yoseob cringed at the mention of Tokki before he moved from his place by the couch to sit next to Eunji. “Thanks for taking the time to teach us, noona. I owe you one.” G.Na gave a thumbs-up before waving goodbye.

Both were happy to be paired up for another song, even if it was only for one performance, but Eunji cursed her luck as they were trying to sing an English song. When Eunji sighed dejectedly again, Yoseob looked to her and held her hand in his, giving her a reassuring squeeze. “Kwenchana, jagiyah?” Eunji gave him a worried look. “Oppa, what if I mess this up? I mean, your pronunciation is already great…and then, there’s me.” Yoseob moved his chair closer to her and his thumb did slow, but deliberate patterns on her hand. “Listen to me, jagiyah. Pronunciation may be important, but you know as well as I do that the emotions are everything in a song.” When Eunji still didn’t stop pouting, Yoseob held both of her hands in his to make her look at him.

When I first saw you

I said "Oh my", I said "Oh my”

That's my dream

That's my dream

I needed a dream

When it all seems to go bad

Then I found you

And I have had the most beautiful dreams any man’s ever had

 

The way he looked at her as sang made her toes curl in delight. He gestured to her to continue singing which Eunji did, albeit, hesitantly.

 

When I first saw you

I say "Oh my", "Oh my"

That's my dream

That's my dream

I needed a dream

To make me strong

You are the only reason I have to go on

 

They then turned to each other. Yoseob gave her a look that spelled, “Don’t worry you can do this.” Eunji gulped, but continued singing anyway

 

You were my dream(s)

All of the things that I've never knew

You were my dream(s)

Who could believe they would ever come true

And who could believe

The world would believe

In my dreams too

 

Yoseob could see that she was still worried, but he continued singing anyway, directing the lyrics to her and hoping that she could feel it.

 

Before you appear

My life was only a game

 

They turned to each other again and this time, Eunji tried to smile for Yoseob.

 

And day in

And day out

 

When Yoseob looked back to the front, Eunji bit her lip and looked down. Her English was terrible and she felt like she was bringing the whole song down.

 

We’re all the same Oh

 

He could see that she was still worried, despite putting up a brave front, so she tried to tell him that through the song.

 

“Oppa, I really messed up.”

 

Now dreams

 

“No, you have not”

 

The dreams

 

“What if we don’t win?”

 

Coming true

 

“Winning is not important.”

 

Coming true

 

“Then what is?”

 

Like the star see it shine

 

“The song’s feelings. The meaning of it. Who is YOUR dream come true?

 

Like a star

 

Eunji didn’t even have to think about this one. Her eyes steeled in determination and her smile grew brighter. She was wasting time thinking of all the irrelevant things when Yoseob was right. The feelings she has to convey is more important than some stupid competition. When they turned to look at each other again, she didn’t hesitate in saying, “You are.”

 

Oh dream. That is yours

 

Yoseob smiled at this and sang out

 

That is yours

 

With more confidence, Eunji raised her hands and sang.

 

That is mine

 

Which Yoseob followed with

 

That is mine

 

Yoseob didn’t have to say anything anymore as he turned to her.

 

When I first saw you

 

And with a smile creeping up to their faces, they sang,

 

Dream

 

The applause that followed was deafening, but all Eunji could hear was her heart pounding and the adrenaline rush that followed after a great performance. She looked at Yoseob who was looking at her like she was his world, his dream come true. And the smile that followed was brighter than the sun itself.

-----

AN: GAD, this is cheesy even for me! Especially that songfic (which I have never done)...I got goosebumps writing that one. Anyway, hope you guys like this update. I tried writing in a different perspective for the second one-shot in case you guys were tired of Yoseob and Eunji (because I'm not). As for the songfic, this is based on the actual video. Yea, I was that desperate. Thanks for reading!