Chapter 03

It's Cold Outside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 03

(Baekhyun's POV)

 

“So, we’re not going then?” I heard Taeyeon asked her mom on the phone.

Apparently, I get the feeling that this whole cabin thing isn’t going as it was planned. Good. I have to admit, even if I’m close with her and her family and I love them a lot, I was never in favour for this whole thing. So hearing Taeyeon from across the lounge to here in the kitchen in my apartment somehow gives me the relief that this is probably getting cancelled and we’ll just have to spend the break at home or with friends. I want to go home and lie on my bed. I miss my bed back home but recently, I didn’t miss it as much as I did back then. The one I have here, took me a while to be comfortable and familiar, until I’ve shared it with my best friend who’s perched on the couch right now while keeping her eyes locked on to the TV in front of her.

There’s nothing really wrong with liking your best friend, right? We all had our fair share of crushes anyway. But a part of me wanted more, something far more than some secret crush. Thing is: if only she felt the same—which I’m sure not. She never showed any hint of annoyance or jealousy when I’m with someone. Heck, one time she even asked, Are you two getting serious? which took me by surprise and she was smiling at me when she dropped the question. So no, I don’t ever think that she feels the same. Even if a big part of me is hoping for it. I’m so used to her smiles every morning, the way she scrunches her nose while stretching is adorable, her dishevelled hair fanning out on my pillows with her looking hot in bed. My bed. Her morning voice whenever she says Good morning, Baekhyun had me---

“Baekhyun!!”

“What?” I snapped out from my reverie. I didn’t even notice that she’s already standing across the kitchen island to where I am with her arms crossed. That annoyed expression on her face says that she’s been trying to get my attention but failed. I must have looked dumb spacing out while imagining those things.

“I said the cabin is cancelled.” Oh she sounds pissed. And from the word that came from , I take it that she is.

“You don’t look happy. You didn’t want it to be cancelled or you’re pissed because I wasn’t paying attention?”

“The latter one.” She’s answering my question yet this time, her attention is not on me but around the kitchen as if this is the first time she stepped into the place.

“Sorry. From now on, you have my undivided attention.” I meant that but I guess she took it the sarcastic way because she’s pinning me with an icy glare. “I’m serious.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and I can’t help my mouth from asking, “The hell’s the problem?”

The tone came out a bit harsh but so what? She’s the one who’s getting all moody right now without telling me why. She turned around and stalked back to where the couch was. I heard her mutter whatever and I’m standing here confused on what caused her mood to darken. I joined her on the couch and sat at the far end while she’s also on the other side. We’re awfully quiet. We’re just sitting here and watching the TV, she’s watching a re-run of Friends and it’s that scene where Rachel told Ross that they’re going to have a break. The episode’s been running and the clock’s ticking, still no word from either of us. This has got to be the most awkward silence I have with her. Normally, she would make little quips of what’s happening on TV or just anything around us and sometimes I would be the one to talk and she would either nod or laugh. Minutes have passed and it felt like it’s been an hour of silence. This has got to be the longest. I glanced at her and she’s not even watching TV anymore. She’s just spacing out. Worry spiked up inside of me.

“Is something wrong?” I finally mustered up to speak first.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered audibly.

“For what?” Is she saying sorry for her moody attitude a while ago because the honestly wasn’t a big deal. The only thing that had me annoyed was that I don’t know what her problem is and she’s taking it out on me. Not like this is the first time she does it but I usually know what’s bothering her so it’s okay. This time though is different. “If you’re talking about your moody self a while ago then don’t. No need to apologize for that.”

“You sure? I was kind of a to you.”

“Not really. You’re a lot scarier and meaner t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter