Chap 8

Let's Go

"What?" The vice principal said as he looked from Jongsuk to Woobin and then again to Jongsuk. "Why were you with Lee Jongsuk, Kim Woobin?" He asked, suspicious.
 

"He was sickly. So I took care of him." Woobin answered. The vice principal held a hard face as he looked to Jongsuk.
 

"Is that true, Jongsuk?" Jongsuk nodded lightly. The vice principal nodded.
 

"Alright then. Come here, Woobin." He held out a piece of paper and a pen to Woobin. "Write down the reason and sign down below. Make sure to fill everything out." Woobin bowed and accepted the paper and pen.
 

"Jongsuk. You may go back to class now." Jongsuk nodded and left, leaving Woobin to work.
 

.....

 

Jongsuk went to the rooftop and lie against the ledge.
 

He let out a forced breath.
 

"...I rotted from being forgotten."
 

He sighed and fried his brain, thinking of what Woobin kept trying to make him remember. If only he was smarter.
 

The bell rung and Jongsuk knew Woobin would be there any moment.

Math class was next.
 

The door opened.
 

.....

 

"Let's stop." Taekwoon stepped up to Junhyung. They were in Taekwoon's small house.
 

"What?"
 

"We can't live like this anymore. We have to graduate high school." Junhyung said. Taekwoon scoffed.
 

"Are you telling me what to do? After I take you in?" Taekwoon said. Junhyung let out a breath.
 

"I think Nickhun was right. We can't mess with Woobin anymore anyway. He's a gangster." Junhyung said. Taekwoon grabbed him by the neck.
 

"He used to be one. And we beat his gang member anyway."
 

"He was already weak." Junhyung pointed out. Taekwoon's eyes grew large and angry. "We can't take credit for that. They're like us. If you want to leave, you get beat up." Junhyung said.

Taekwoon clawed his neck, Junhyung inhaling.

"Beat me up. I'm leaving."

Taekwoon punched him in the face, letting him fall to the floor.
 

"You're biting me in the now? I took you in!"
 

"Well." Junhyung groaned. "Everyone leaves once they're grown up."
 

"Aish. Stupid Bastard!" Taekwoon kicked and beat him until he felt it was enough. He grabbed his jacket.
 

"Clean up after yourself. If I see you again, I'll kill you." Then he walked out the house, leaving Junhyung to himself.
 

.....

 

"Yah. You're such a pain." Woobin groaned. Jongsuk scoffed and threw his head back.
 

"Whatever." Jongsuk said. Woobin walked up and leaned beside Jongsuk.
 

"I'm your guardian now. So you have to listen to what I say."
 

"What? My guardian?" Jongsuk questioned, Woobin nodding.
 

"Yeah. Your guardian." Woobin clearified. Jongsuk ruffled the hair on his head.
 

"Aish." Jongsuk groaned. Woobin chuckled. "Why did you do that anyway. I could've taken care of it myself."
 

"Oh? Do you have parents?" Woobin asked sarcastically. Jongsuk groaned and put his head back even more.
 

"No."
 

"What? Did they kick you out already? You did say you had no home-"
 

"No." Jongsuk interrupted. He sighed. "My dad left and moved everything out without telling me." Woobin pursed his lips and looked into the distance. "I haven't seen him since."
 

They went silent for a while until Jongsuk broke it.
 

"What exactly did you want me to remember?" He asked, looking to where Woobin was.

He looked around then down and saw that Woobin was already asleep.
 

"Aish. He's driving me crazy." Jongsuk kicked the ground, making Woobin flinch unconsciously. Jongsuk clicked his tongue.

He went over and locked the door then made his way back to the latter.
 

"Aish. I'm just going to punch you then yell at you and not tell you I'm a gangster. Kidnap you and suddenly take care of you then save your from suspension and become your guardian. And after all that, I'll need a lot of sleep and did I mention I have a thing with freezing cold water? I won't tell you why my dog's name is your nickname because I'm verbally challenged..." Jongsuk mumbled on and on, complaining about his life.
 

.....

 

Jongsuk awoke to weight on his thighs.

He looked down, surprised to see Woobin still asleep. It was dark, a little after school.

He patted Woobin's head, receiving a groan.
 

"Let's go. It's late." Jongsuk said. Woobin settled again and his face softened. Jongsuk sighed and shook Woobin's shoulder, immediately getting slapped off.
 

"Hurry. We can't stay up here. You might catch a cold..." Jongsuk cut himself short.

He sniffed the air.

Smoke.

He pushed Woobin's head and got to his feet. Woobin got up clumsily and started after him.

Jongsuk opened the door, only to be engulfed in dark, heavy smoke.

Jongsuk stepped back and coughed dryly.
 

Woobin froze. His whole body grew hot and he stared into the orange light reflecting off the walls of the stairs.

Jongsuk grabbed him.
 

"Yah! Let's go! Let's get out of here!" Jongsuk urged. Woobin slapped his hand then again when Jongsuk tried reaching for him again.
 

"Woobin! Are you crazy!!? We have to go!!" Jongsuk shouted. Woobin flinched, his eyes already red from the smoke.

"Woobin! Woobin, help! I'm stuck!" Jongsuk called.

The loose thread on his shirt was caught on the chipped corner of a desk.

He was too weak to pull away and the flames were getting closer.

Woobin looked back in alarm. Their classmates were already safely outside and the female teacher stood by the door, calming them.
 

"SUKKIE!!" Woobin ran but was held back by the collar.
 

"No! Stay here! The firemen are coming to help." The teacher said. Woobin screamed and hit his teacher's hands.
 

"Woobin!! It's hot!" Jongsuk yelled.

Woobin used his weight to pull his teacher down and smacked her in the face, surprising her. He muscles loosened and Woobin dashed to Jongsuk.

He wrapped his arms under Jongsuk's armpits and pulled.

"It's going to be fine, Sukkie! Let's go!" Woobin tried calming Jongsuk, who was starting to panic and kick.

The fire was eating everything and getting even closer.

Woobin could feel it surround his body as he jerked Jongsuk one last time, flinging out of danger.

He turned, only catching his back as a fireman saved both him and Jongsuk.

"KIM WOOBIN!!!" Jongsuk nearly screamed. Woobin flinched but didn't move a muscle. "AISH!!"

Jongsuk clenched his fist and socked Woobin across the face.

Woobin glared at him with big eyes, scaring him.

Jongsuk darted down the stairs.
 

"YAH!! JONGSUK!!!" Woobin shouted, immediately running after him.
 

"Ahhh! Don't kill me! I had to do it!!" Jongsuk yelled, sprinting.

He ran right past the classroom that had been lit on fire.

Class 3.

Jongsuk groaned but didn't stop.

The teachers present saw him and demanded Jongsuk stop but he kept running. He looked back and saw Woobin right behind him.

He knew he shouldn't have messed with a gangster.
 

"I'm gonna die!!" He shouted to himself.
 

"Lee Jongsuk!! Stop!! Come back here!!"
 

He looked back again, seeing three male teachers plus Woobin running after him.

He looked back forward to see where he was going but he immediately regretted it.
 

"Well isn't it, Sukkie. Where were you-"
 

"Sorry! No time to chat or whatever you guys call it!" Jongsuk said, running right past Taekwoon and Hyunwoo.
 

"Jongsuk-!" Woobin bumped into Taekwoon and didn't stop to acknowledge him as he kept running.
 

"Yah! Woobin-!" The teachers whipped past them.

They were old but fast.

Taekwoon growled.

"Let's see what they're up to." He started running after them, Hyunwoo following.
 

Jongsuk took a sharp turn into an alleyway and his behind a big city waste can.

He heaved and tried to catch his breath. He had never run for his life like that before.

He was about to check if anyone found him and ended up slamming his face into Woobin's knee.
 

"Aigoo, ! Why'd you run-!?" Jongsuk pulled Woobin down and to his side so they wouldn't be seen. They could hear the teachers run by and sighed.

Woobin grabbed Jongsuk's shirt collar.
 

"Why did you run?! You gave me a heart attack!" Woobin stated, Jongsuk flinching every time Woobin let out a syllable.
 

"I thought you were going to kill me." Jongsuk said hesitantly, not wanting to give any ideas. Woobin groaned.
 

"Aish. I don't care about the stupid punch! Why did you run to the fire!?" Woobin clarified. Jongsuk raised his shoulders.
 

"Well..."
 

"Just don't do it again. Alright?" Woobin said. Jongsuk gulped and nodded.
 

"Yah! Taekwoon! There they are!" Hyunwoo said, pointing as Taekwoon ran by.
 

"When did they follow us?" Jongsuk questioned.
 

"Aish. I don't care." Woobin said. He let go of Jongsuk and started running. "Let's go!" He ordered.

Jongsuk hurried behind him.

 

They eventually outran the others and hid in a small clothing shop.

Jongsuk put a large coat on and one on Woobin too. Then he grabbed a hat and put it on Woobin's hat.

The bullies walked by.
 

"Uhum. Wow! Nice hat! We should buy it along with your outfit. Don't you think?" Jongsuk said.

He nudged Woobin's shoulder. Woobin glared at him and cleared his throat.
 

"Yeah." Jongsuk nudged him again. "Yes! That'd be great!" Woobin said excitedly, faking a smile.

The bullies passed by and disappeared around the corner.

Jongsuk sighed in relief and took his coat off. Woobin taking the clothing off.
 

They went to Woobin's house and both fell back on the sofa.
 

"Aigoo. That was so tiresome." Jongsuk grumbled.
 

"Don't complain. It was your fault." Woobin said. Jongsuk groaned and shut his eyes.
 

"Whatever." Jongsuk said. Woobin scoffed and did the same thing as the latter.
 

"You're so dumb. You know you won't accomplish anything by running, right?"
 

There was no answer.
 

"Aish. You're asleep, aren't you?" Woobin said. He peered at Jongsuk, who's head was dangling. "Ah. Weakling." Woobin said, before picking Jongsuk up bridal style and taking him to the bedroom.

Sukkie followed them after coming out from the kitchen. She barked as Woobin lie Jongsuk down on the bed. Woobin looked down at him and sighed. Sukkie barked again.
 

"Aish. I'm not being nice. It's just that I haven't washed the covers yet. Do you want me to get sick?" He asked the dog.

Sukkie whimpered and disappeared through the door.
 

"Really. This dog." Woobin grumbled to himself.

Once he tossed the covers over Jongsuk, he went out and slept on the sofa again.
 

.....

 

"Lee Jongsuk and Kim Woobin! Follow me out." The vice principal ordered.

The class was moved to a different room temporarily. Jongsuk and Woobin obeyed and followed him to the counseling office.
 

"Take a seat." They bowed and did so. The vice principal deeply sighed.
 

"What were you two running from yesterday when the fire started?" He asked. Woobin held a straight face as Jongsuk's dropped.
 

"What? Do you think we did it?!" Jongsuk questioned, shocked.
 

"Well, yes. Students from that class and that don't stop when the teachers demand them to, are considered suspicious."

Jongsuk bit his lip and sat back.
 

"So I'll ask this again. What were you two running from when the fire started?"
 

"Well..." Jongsuk started. Woobin sighed.
 

Don't say anything stupid-
 

"I thought Woobin was going to kill me." Jongsuk said.
 

"What!!?" The vice principal exclaimed.

Woobin groaned and sat back.

Jongsuk held out jazz hands and shook them in protest. He shook his head rapidly.
 

"No-no-no! I punched him first!"
 

"What!?"
 

"I...Aish!" Jongsuk face palmed himself and sat quietly. He peeked over at Woobin, who sat quietly.
 

Why do I have to have such a loud mouth?!
 

"Alright. I've heard enough. Jongsuk, go back to class. Woobin, stay." The vice principal said. Jongsuk got up hesitantly and bowed before leaving.

Woobin sighed.
 

Woobin didn't show in class the rest of the day so Jongsuk got worried. He was running down the hall to the office when he saw a pack of his peers looking at the bulletin.

He didn't need to push his way through because everyone got out of his way silently.

He looked at the suspension sheet.
 

KIM WOOBIN
 

He felt a hand on his bicep.
 

"Yah. What happened?"

 

Jongsuk ignored the questions and dashed to the office.

 

He slammed the door open and received looks from the teachers. He bowed.
 

"Where's Woobin?" Jongsuk asked.
 

"Ah. I sent him home early. He's up for suspension so I figured-"
 

"No!" Jongsuk yelled. The teacher blinked blankly.
 

"What?"
 

"Give me a chance to clear his name! He didn't do anything!" Jongsuk said.

The teacher nodded and motioned him to come closer. Jongsuk did.
 

"Here." He handed Jongsuk a piece of paper. "Make sure you serve your two weeks of school service."

Jongsuk's spirits dropped.

"Cutting class brings consequences, Jongsuk." He patted Jongsuk's back as Jongsuk turned. "You're a good kid. Getting rid of Kim Woobin is best for you. You don't have to do what he says."

Jongsuk crumpled the paper.

"We have notes on him and we know he's not exactly pleasant but-" Jongsuk shook him off forcibly. He bowed then left.
 

Jongsuk broke into a run right as he shut the door. He ran to Woobin's house but he wasn't there. So he fed Sukkie and went to bed. He awoken the next day but there was still no sign of Woobin.
 

Woobin wasn't at school either but Jongsuk began asking his classmates questions.
 

"Do you know who might've started the fire?" Jongsuk asked Moon Jongup.

Jongup shook his head and went back to reading.

Jongsuk sighed then something clicked. He ran to class 4 during passing period. He spotted Nickhun and Junhyung and ran to them.
 

"Hyung! Where's Taekwoon?!" Jongsuk asked. Nickhun and Junhyung exchanged confused looks before looking back to Jongsuk.
 

"He's probably in the alley again. Why?" Nickhun asked. Jongsuk nodded and went to the door. "Wait! Are you going to see him!? By yourself!?"

Nickhun got up but was held back by Junhyung.
 

"We've deceived him enough."