Chap 7

Let's Go

Jongsuk awoken to sunlight hitting his eyes through blinds. He sat up and stretched then immediately started coughing.

He looked at his surroundings afterward then started to panic.
 

Why is he here?
 

Just then, the door opens and Woobin's back is visible.
 

"I know-I know. You're hungry. I'll get to you next. Don't you know I'm hungry too? Hm?" Woobin sighed and closed the door behind him.

He looked up and finally noticed Jongsuk was awake.
 

"Morning." He greeted warmly, carrying a tray of eggs, rice, bacon, and hot tea.

He took a few steps toward Jongsuk, every time, Jongsuk would scoot back. Woobin stopped and let out a broken sigh.

He left the tray on the foot of the bed and went out the door without furthermore.

Jongsuk sighed in relief and looked to the breakfast. It's been forever since he ate breakfast or even slept in a bed. He felt weak from hunger so after coughing some more, he reached for the plate.

He ate.

He appreciated it.

.....
 

Woobin groaned and hit his head against the table beside his food. Sukkie looked up at him from his bowl of dog food and whined.
 

"What?" Woobin asked, not lifting his head.

 

The dog stared at him.
 

"I don't have to eat if I don't want to."

The dog barked.

"What?"

The dog barked twice.

"If you think so. But I don't think he will. He must think I poisoned it."

 

The dog went back to eating and Woobin went back to smashing his head against the table.
 

"Should I go to school?" Woobin asked once he stopped banging his head.

The dog whimpered.

"I know I have to stay but. I kind of don't want to."

The dog barked.

"Easy for you to say. He doesn't hate you."

The dog went back to eating.
 

"Aish. That's it."

 

Woobin got up and walked to his bedroom. He opened the door and saw that Jongsuk was asleep again. He sighed and was about to close the door when he noticed the empty tray on his bedside table. He scoffed and closed the door softly.
 

"This kid."
 

 

Jongsuk slept the whole day, not waking up once to use the bathroom or eat. Woobin was bored out of his mind. School would have ended by now. He could hear Jongsuk's coughing from the living room and sighed.
 

He's going to have to have his sheets washed two times. He slept out on the sofa again, afraid of confronting Jongsuk.
 

.....

 

Jongsuk lie in bed and stared at the ceiling. He cleared his throat before having to cough harshly again.
 

He wondered why his dad got up and left him. He didn't get to say goodbye. He saw the lights outside the room switch off and groaned.
 

He was stuck with a gangster. He was thankful for Woobin's generosity but it was an action he didn't want from a trickster. But he did say he was going to endure whatever trouble Kim Woobin brought.

He groaned again.

He listened to the silence of the night.

Then sighed.
 

"I have to keep my word, don't I?"
 

.....

 

Woobin awoken and stretched his arms. He actually got a whole night in.

He prepared breakfast then walked into his bedroom after taking a deep breath. He placed the tray at the foot of the bed then made his way to the empty tray from yesterday.
 

"I'm sorry." Woobin's head whipped to see the boy in bed who had just apologized. Jongsuk was covered from head to toe in the covers.

Woobin pursed his lips and walked out with the tray. He shut the door behind him and didn't bother telling Sukkie what happened.

He didn't want it to be this way.

He wanted Jongsuk to remember, not apologize.

.....
 

They didn't talk much in the next two days until Woobin figured out why.
 

Jongsuk was losing his voice because of his itchy throat.
 

"Here." Woobin said.

Jongsuk looked blankly at the small bowl of "Honey. Let it run down your throat." Woobin suggested. He put it on the bed in front of Jongsuk and left.

Jongsuk did as Woobin said and he was good to go the next day.
 

"Woobin!" Woobin jumped and opened his eyes. Jongsuk smiled widely as he stood over him. "Let's go to school~" Jongsuk singsonged and pulled Woobin up from where he slept last night.
 

"Aish." Woobin groaned but got up and went to his room to get ready. Jongsuk held his smile until he knew Woobin couldn't see him anymore.

His smile faded.
 

This is how he must repay Woobin. With kindness because he had nothing to give and he technically stole his bed too. It didn't take long until Woobin was out.

He put his shoes on and put his hands in his pockets.
 

"Let's go." He mumbled, before walking out the door. Jongsuk followed after him.
 

"Yah-yah. Why did you take my things that one day? Since we're friends again, you have to tell me." Jongsuk said. Woobin groaned.
 

"Aish. So bothersome." Woobin said as he sped up. Jongsuk ran up beside him.
 

"Tell me-"
 

"I didn't want you to know where my house was." Woobin mumbled.
 

"What? Why?" Jongsuk asked, scratching his head. "It's not like I'd remember where it was. And you invite me anyway."
 

"W-What? I-I didn't invite you anywhere." Woobin protested. Jongsuk raised a brow, Woobin looking away. "Sukkie did."
 

"Ha. Your dog?" Jongsuk said. Woobin nodded. Jongsuk laughed.
 

"What's so funny?"
 

"Nothing. Let's go." Jongsuk said through laughs. Woobin raised his hand but Jongsuk had already started running.
 

"Aish. This kid." Woobin growled through clenched teeth before speed walking after him.
 

After going the long way because of Jongsuk, they finally reached the school gates.
 

They rushed to class and beat the bell by a hair. They took their seats as they received mixed looks.
 

"Attention. Bow."

.....
 

"What. Is. Life?" The literature teacher asked, pointing at the words written in chalk.

She looked around the room. "Volunteers?" She asked.

No hands.

She nodded. "Alright then. Um..." She scanned the students. "Kim Woobin. What is life?" She asked. Woobin sighed.
 

"Life? Why such a question?"

 

The teacher stuttered.
 

"Uh. It-It's-It's a question...you have to ask yourself overtime. Wouldn't it be easier to answer it now?" The teacher said. Woobin groaned.
 

"Aish. Life is death in disguise,
A colorful blanket thrown over one's head,"

Jongsuk tuned in.

"Once removed, complete and utter darkness will blind one,
Although like the earth, surrounded with stars,
There is always a smaller but brighter place to go."
 

"Thank you, Woobin-"
 

"A squirrel buries an acorn and forgets about it. A tall oak tree grows from it. But I rotted from being forgotten." Woobin finished. Jongsuk blinked rapidly and looked at the floor.
 

"Thank you Woobin-"
 

Everyone turned to the door except Jongsuk and Woobin as it opened.
 

"Lee Jongsuk. Come with me please."

 

Jongsuk got up, dangling his head and went with the teacher.

 

Once the door shut, Woobin was in the spotlight.
 

"Yah. What happened?"
 

"Did you two do something during the week?"
 

"You both were absent for almost a whole week."
 

Woobin ignored them as the teacher tried getting the class back on track.
 

"Lee Jongsuk. You have exceeded the amount of absences possible." The vice principal said. "You've actually gone beyond it."

Jongsuk nodded and chewed his bottom lip.

"I know you're a good kid but...there is really nothing we can do for you now." He sighed and looked Jongsuk in the eye. "But why would you do that? What were you doing that was so important? You told me before that you wanted to get your grades up and even graduate. Where did that boy go?" He said. Jongsuk averted his eyes and stared at the table between them.
 

 

Woobin stared at his desk.
 

"If you have two more unexcused absences, that will result in suspension. So..."
 

He hit his desk without thought, alerting everyone.

He looked up when he noticed the classroom was silent.
 

"Did the desk do something to you?" The teacher asked. Woobin cleared his throat.
 

"May I leave for a moment?" He asked politely. The teacher nodded and he bowed before leaving.
 

 

"The only way you can get out of this is if you get excused from your parent or guardian. Or at least someone that you were with. And if the reason is good enough, then-"
 

Then door opened and Woobin stood in the doorway.
 

"You have no reason to suspend him, sir." Woobin said.

 

The vice principal sighed and crossed his arms.
 

"And why is that?" He asked.

 

Jongsuk didn't look at Woobin so Woobin ended up looking at the back of his head.
 

"I was with him."