Chapter 9

Obsessed
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You’re bringing me coffee?” Geng asked his partner as she placed a cup in front of him. “Should I be scared?” He picked up the cup and pretended to examine it.

Liyin rolled her eyes, the smile on her face immediately replaced with a scowl. “Can’t I do something nice for you?” she asked. “You helped close a twelve year case and you’re still not happy.”

She was almost right about that. Geng wasn’t sure how he was supposed to be feeling about that case. He was glad that Victoria is safe now. He was glad he when this case was closed and put away. But one thing he couldn’t shake was how Tin Xiang’s family reacted to finding out that their father and husband was a serial stalker and murderer, who was killed after finally being caught.

They insisted Tin Xiang wasn’t like that. They swore he would never do something like this.

It’s something Geng heard all the time when the family couldn’t come to terms with whatever their beloved was accused of.

It had been two weeks, but for some reason, Geng still couldn’t get this particular family out of his head.

Geng sighed. “I’m...relieved, I guess,” he finally admitted. “But I-”

“Probably just need a vacation,” a new voice chimed in.

The two detectives turned to face Captain Wong.

“Detective Han has been running himself ragged for as long as I’ve known him,” Captain Wong continued. “I think it’s finally starting to catch up to him.”

Liyin nodded in agreement. “You’re taking a vacation starting tomorrow, aren’t you?” she asked.

“Finally,” Captain Wong replied. He looked to Geng. “Maybe you need one too.”

“I’m already planning a trip to go see my parents,” he simply replied. “That’s in a month. I’ll survive until then.”

“Will you?” Liyin asked. “Because I’d totally forgive you if you decided to walk out right now.”

Geng smiled. “Look you two, I’m fine,” he insisted.

“You age a lot faster if you hold onto every aspect of this job,” Captain Wong mentioned. “My advice to you? Once you’re through with a case, move on.”

Geng just nodded, too tired to convince the two of them to leave him alone.

Captain Wong placed his hand on Geng’s shoulder. “With this man dead, Victoria won’t have to give a statement about everything she went through,” he said. “I’m sure we’ve all put her through so much already.”

The captain’s phone took to ringing at that moment. He pulled out the device from his pocket. “Ah, sorry,” he said as he glanced at the screen. “I need to take this. But Geng-” he looked at the detective “-keep what I said in mind. I’m proud of you.”

The detectives watched their captain walk away and enter his office.

“So what’s really going on?” Liyin asked.

Geng took a sip of his coffee. “Nothing,” he finally said, shaking his head as he placed his coffee back on his desk. “I think I really do need a vacation.”

Victoria quickly put her earrings on, glancing at the mirror.

“You sure you don’t want me to at least drive you?” Amber asked as she watched her cousin rush to get ready. The police said Victoria was safe, and Amber believed them, but for some reason, she still wasn’t ready to let Victoria go anywhere on her own.

Also, she was kind of bored.

Victoria scoffed, turning around to face Amber. “The last time I left you alone to navigate through the city you landed in a brothel.”

“Hey!” Amber replied. “That was six years ago! Besides, the reason I stayed there was because the owner gave me free chicken while I waited for a taxi.”

“Either way, I’m not risking it,” Victoria said, glancing at her full length mirror.

Amber sighed. “I would just feel a lot better if I was with you,” she finally admitted.

Victoria froze, already knowing what was going through Amber’s mind. “Yiyun,” she said softly. “I’m okay.”

Amber couldn’t help but scoff at herself for being so ridiculous. Of course Victoria was safe. Amber couldn’t understand why she still expected her cousin to be watched at every moment.

Victoria was beyond ready to move on, and Amber knew she needed to respect that.

“You’re right,” Amber replied, shaking her head in surrender. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m meeting Mi at the charity event,” Victoria continued. She hoped that statement would ease Amber’s worries just a little bit. Her stalker was gone, and the worst that could happen at an event such as this would be the food and drinks running low. “If you’re bored, why don’t you call Henry or something?”

Amber frowned at the suggestion. “You think Henry is the only friend I’ve made here?” she questioned.

“Well...yeah,” Victoria answered with a shrug. She grabbed her purse from off the bed. “Feel free to prove me wrong anytime.”

The two of them exited Victoria’s room and made their way to the front door.

Victoria flashed a smile, saying goodbye to Amber, before putting on her shoes and heading out the door.

Amber went to the living room and collapsed onto the couch. She sighed, reluctantly pulling out her phone.

Bring the Playstation and some snacks because I know Mi ge didn’t want you tagging along either.

“Thanks for helping us out, Mi,” Danson said with a relieved sigh. “This would have turned out to be a huge disaster if you hadn’t stepped in.”

Zhou Mi smiled. “You know it’s not a problem, Yuzhe,” he replied. “The last thing I wanted was for these poor kids to suffer due to your mistakes.”

Danson frowned. “I’m sure they still would have appreciated my effort.”

“Appreciation doesn’t put food on the table,” Zhou Mi countered.

“I’m only human.”

“I would have n

Please log in to read the full chapter