하나.

Destiny Will Bring Us Back Together

"Omma!"
"Ne, _______?"
"There's someone waiting outside!"
"Ah, it must be our guests. Open the door for them and let them wait in thr living room while omma is cooking!"
"Arrasso!"

It's been 22 years since we first met and I still remember how you hid behind ahjussi. You were really shy, eh?

"Annyeonghaseyo!"
"Annyeonghaseyo, _______-ah. Is your mother home?" Your omma asked.
"Mmm! She's in the kitchen at the moment. Please come in!"
"O-omma!"
"Come on, Minho. There's no need to be scared. They're really kind people."

Your family went inside and you kept hiding behind your father's back. You were pretty short, I think we had the same height. How'd you grow so tall?

I still remember the sweet taste of the lollipop I ate. You looked really jealous as your mouth watered. I grabbed my last lollipop from my pocket and walked over to you shyly, handing this treat to you and your innocent-looking face. Your eyes grew wide, but you accepted it.

"Gomawoyo."
"________ imnida. Bangawoyo!" I said cheerfully as I offered a handshake.
"Minho imnida." You answered and shook my hand in return. 
"Come on, let's play!"

I know you were definitely shocked as I grabbed your hand and pulled you out to the garden but we played all afternoon. We also played hide and seek that day but you lost since you can't find me, given the fact that the place was new to your sight. It didn't stay like that for too long though. We grew up eventually and you were my only Korean friend in America. We always came to each other's house to study and you never failed to defend me.

I found out about my feelings for you during 8th grade. I had a crush on you since 3rd grade but disregarded it since everyone told me that it's only puppy love. We were young back then, but I remember how I came to know my feelings for you.

It was an ordinary day at school. I walked past the crowded hallway alone as everybody gossiped again, but it was nothing to me before since I knew you're always there. That time was different, though. Strange. You were late for the first time and failed to call me so I had to go through all of that alone. Was it already a sign I didn't realize?

"Look, it's that ugly girl again!"
"What is she doing here? She should just go back to their country."
"Perhaps they ran out of money there and have an illegal business here."
"Or...they're criminals hiding here!"

They were all rude, but no one was worse than Jessica. She's the worst one around here. Being as vulnerable as I was, I had already started crying silently.

"Look, it's that small-eyed beast again!"
"Don't call her that!" And then you came. You still managed to protect me, without fail. "We didn't do anything to you so leave us alone! You shouldn't judge a person just because they look different! You don't even know ______! We can understand you but you can't understand our native language! What would you feel if you were in our position? Did we choose to be born like this? Did we command our parents to migrate to this stupid country? Huh?!" You shouted and everyone just rolled their eyes. You dragged me out of that hell afterwards and encouraged me for the 1000th time.

It might have meant nothing to you but it meant everything to me. Everyone hated you too after what you did but you didn't hesitate at all. You're the only one who told me I'm special. You're the only one who appreciated my talent while everyone thought it was boring. You told me to always stick by your side and I enjoyed your company a lot. Maybe a little too much that I missed you so easily.

That's when I found out my feelings for you, but I was afraid it will ruin our friendship. I never told you how happy I was to have lunch with you everyday. I was encouraged to study harder because of you. I wrote better poems because you were my inspiration. We both learned to play the guitar and I miss how you played with my hair and tickled me whenever I was being lazy or complained that my hand hurt as an excuse. You never failed to make me smile when I was so down the dumps. You were the best friend I ever had.

I finally mustered the courage to tell you how I felt and planned on surprising you, but I never thought I'd be the one to get surprised. You promised me. You swore. What went wrong, Lee Min Ho? Why did you leave without saying a word?

~

What do you think? I tried to make it as mysterious but understandable. In this chapter, you are the narrator and imagine you are talking to Minho's picture frame. He's the 'you' you were talking about in this chapter. Please look forward to the next chapters. Kamsahamnida! By the way, Autumn-imnida. Bangawoyo!