Chapter 70

Externally Ethereal(revamping, title might change)

A/N: Okay so I updated on December 4th (Chapter 68) & 7th (Chapter 69). If you haven't read those two chapters do so now :)


"I want everything locked down NOW!" 

"Check every personnel, find witnesses."

"Who did this?"

"Was she....?"

"Hey, I think she's coming to."

   Excess voices make your foggy head spin. There's still a bit of nausea so you groan when your eyes slowly flicker open. Although it is still night, the candles around the room make your eyes hurt, even if it is dull. Iroh is cupping your face and the intrusion of personal space makes you push him away from you. He was clearly suprised but not offended. You bring your knees to your chest and close your eyes again, wanting all pain to disappear. The air feels too thick to breathe in and the comedown from the attack makes your stomach ache. Iroh orders Sophie to go outside and search the forum.

"Who did this? Who did this?!" Kris yells.

"Keres." you exhale.

   The postures of all 13 people freeze. A pin could be heard if one were to be dropped.

"That's not possible." Kai says quietly.

"He must have been here the whole time, why didn't I realize it?" Kris bursts from frustration.

"Which way did he go?" Tao asks you softly.

"It was like he wasn't even here. He vanished into thin air." you confess.

"Yuri...did he hurt you?" 

"You see her neck? Of course-" Baekhyun interrupts.

"No." you shake your head, you know what he meant.

   Iroh places an order to assemble all military and demands them to be on standby until further notice. He arranges for two guardians to be at your side at all times, and Yixing offers to be on the first shift so he can heal the shallow cut that is above your chest. Christina even ordered for food to be delivered strictly to your bedroom and that someone from the help must taste anything food or liquid that touches your lips. You privately asked for that person to be Haneul.


   After having breakfast with the guests you invited recently, you talked Christina and Iroh into letting Haneul and Sungkyu work at the castle. Haneul happily labors away in the kitchen and Sungkyu takes care of the stables due to his undying love for animals. Now, if this was any other situation you wouldn't want Haneul to be the person who tastes something that could potentially kill her. However, you knew that Keres would not try such an act. He seems to be a man (or monster) of direct meaning. He may show interest in mind games, but you had a feeling nothing would happen as long as you show up tonight. Plus, you honestly do enjoy Haneul's company, and you wanted to check on how she has been being treated. 

"Oh, don't you worry about a thing, my goddess! I am good as gold working here alongside others. Miss Christina is truly a sweetheart."

"Have you heard about Irina?" you joked.

   It was several hours later in the wee morning and the two of you were clearly delirious with sleep deprivation. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were in the bedroom with the both of you, watching over. Kyungsoo was leaning against the bedroom doors and Baekhyun was on the balcony, constantly looking out into the distance. 

"Girl, who hasn't!", Haneul squealed, "sorry, I mean Goddess."

   You wave your hand in dismissal. Being with Haneul you realized you feel more like a teenager than being with anyone else, even Sophie. At first you felt ashamed because she doesn't know everything that is happening, but she confided in you and explained that she would do anything to protect you and this castle. You don't know how she does it but the feminity in her is so...refreshing. Her presence makes you feel just like a normal girl again.

"Call me whatever you want, as long as it's not insulting. I've been teasing Iroh about it for a while, but he won't jump on it!"

"Gross!" Baekhyun interrupts.

"I didn't mean it like that way you ert!"

  Haneul cackles which makes you laugh as well. By the time you finally calm down it's several minutes later and your stomach and cheeks are burning. She says she feels the same way as you collapse back onto your mattress. She admits that the laughter made you sleepy, and you agreed.

"Then why haven't you fallen asleep yet?" she asks.

"Honestly? Fear. It's such a dangerous emotion."

"Only sleeping two hours out of two days will make you sick. Have you tried anything to help?"

"Not really...I'm okay with staying awake."

"Even though you trust these two guarding us?"

"I trust them with my life, and even more if that makes any sense."

   Hanuel hums in understanding, a whimiscal expression crosses her face that makes her look even younger than she is. Sometimes you try to picture how people looked when they were younger. Her pretty doe eyes must have seemed a lot larger years ago and you swear her lips are the perfect shape.

"So you truly love all of them?" she questions softly. 

   There's a knock at the door before you can answer. Kyungsoo fixes his posture and stands straight. He asks who it is and Iroh answers, saying he needs both of them so he can explain the plans. Haneul look at you, obvious with curiousity, and you shrug your shoulders. It's a small white lie, but a lighthearted sweet woman like her deserves blissful ignorance you ultimately decide. 

"Who is going to stay in here with the girls while we discuss?" Kyungsoo voices.

"I will!"

   The doors swing open and Haneul's husband comes barging in. You giggle at the childlike manner.

"Sungkyu! You can't just force your way into the chambers of a goddess! Have you lost your head?" Haneul exclaims.

"Nonsense." you smile.

"Ah, I'm sorry my goddess", the eager male bows, "I just haven't see my wife all day and it is pretty late into the evening."

   Baekhyun looks at the three of you as if someone grew a second head. He makes eye contact with his brother and they both exchange a silent conversation, one that probably deemed Sungkyu an odd man. Haneul is too busy engrossed in the passion of the young man to notice, and the smile on your face doesn't leave. It's been a torturous long day and seeing the love between two innocent people warms your heart.

"We can't just leave a man with no strength to guard Yuri." Iroh snips, walking into the bedroom that is slowly starting to become crowded. 

"Have you ever done any military work?" Kyungsoo asks.

"No, sir." Sungkyu responds.

"I'll go get Tao and Suho, I guess he can stay in here until then." Iroh reasons.

   Kyungsoo and Baekhyun contemplate arguing the final decision, but in the end they let it slide, and along with Iroh they leave the room. Sungkyu walks to Haneul and kisses her forehead before plopping himself on the chair that sits in front of a vanity that looks nearly ancient. He asks why you aren't asleep yet and the only way you answer is by shrugging your shoulders again.

"Have you ever tried a lullaby?" he asks innocently.

"What? Sorry, no, I haven't been sung a lullaby since before my parents were killed." you answer somberly.

'Well... Haneul has a very beautiful voice, why don't you try it dear?" 

"Sungkyu is silly, my voice isn't too great." Haneul bashfully replies. 

"I bet it's wonderful, and I don't mind. Do you know any by heart?" 

"Yes...but it isn't the happiest. I use to catch my mother singing it when I was younger."

"Try it." you encourage.

   You make yourself comfortable in bed and Haneul even helps tuck you in. You arrange yourself in your favorite sleeping position and her voice begins, nearly bringing tears to your eyes.

 

"When I was young
And scared of the world
My mother would sing me a song.
A tune that I keep in a sacred place
Because I know that my life won't be long.
It tells of the place where you go
When your time here on Earth is through.
A beautiful place we call heaven,
Is it true?
Please God I pray that it's true.

 

'Cause once this land was heaven on Earth
Green hills were all you could see,
But now it's soot and steel and brick,
So it looks more like hell to me.
And each day brings more and more suffering
And each night is silence and fear
And I wake to the sound of your voice,
But you're not here
Why aren't you here?

 

So now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Please let me die before I wake,
So the Lord my soul, can take.
Then maybe I'll finally find you,
'Midst the beauty of paradise
And you'll sing not of dying, but living.
Wouldn't that be nice?


Wouldn't that be nice?"


 
 
 
A/N: The 'lullaby' is called A Prayer and I adore it. Here is the link to the song. Unfortunately it starts at the second stanza but her voice is exactly how I picture Haneul's. Please listen to it.