Chapter 47

Externally Ethereal(revamping, title might change)

  Kai never thought that so many people would enjoy wandering the woods at night. He has only been out here for a half hour and has had to move at least two families, four groups of friends, and a dog. Even for being somewhat of a god, sweat trickled across his face from teleporting around so much.

 

  By now he was deep within the woods and probably knows every square inch of it, given how he has had to run back and forth so much.

 

“Well that’s an advantage I guess.” he mutters to himself.

 

  He had to admit that since he has been here he has fallen in love with the forest, although nothing could ever compare to the love that he has for you. The green leaves flitted in the cool night breeze and the last wash of watercolors in the distance were finally disappearing into the depths of the deep purple sky.

 

  Kai was about to mentally tell Luhan he was coming back but before he could do so he chose to cover the southern border once more. He wasn’t sure if he missed any areas and he would never forgive himself if innocent lives got caught up in this immortal war.

 

“What’s the motive for this anyway, we haven’t even done anything.” He huffed, teleporting to and from hidden shrubs and forgotten pathways.

 

  Truth be told, he is pretty weary and nervous about being out here alone.  Kai is always confident in his abilities, especially when you’re around, but knows he could not take on a fleet of mythological freaks by himself. And the main baddie, Keres, hasn’t really shown what he could do besides order creatures around. This makes him worry more. How does one learn how to defend and protect from an enemy when they don’t know what their enemy is capable of?

 

  He teleported to a small creek next and realized that this must have been the ‘water source’ Suho was talking about before. It was by no means large but Kai has never asked how much water Suho needs in order to do what he does, nor has he ever really cared until surprisingly now.

 

  Getting lost in his thoughts, Kai was nearly about to teleport again but he heard a sound. Fearing the worst, he froze in his place. Not being able to make out what the sound is, he ducked low behind a bush. He scanned the perimeter around him and stood up thirty seconds later when his heart rate finally slowed down. Using heightened senses, he traveled along the creek bed.

 

Kai? A voice said in his head.

 

  He knew better than to ignore Luhan but he wanted to concentrate on the noise he was hearing. The sound was almost putting him in a trance as he moved his way over. Kai was finally able to realize with the help of his extensive hearing that the sound was someone speaking, or singing rather.

 

“The pretty leaves are shifting in the wind.” the voice sang out to him.

 

  Kai startles himself and jumps, looking around again. He moves out of plain sight and into the greenery of the woods to camouflage himself. Luhan tries to talk to him telepathically for a second time but Kai is too scared and curious to answer.

 

“But this pretty flower is what I like to send.” the sweet innocent voice giggled.

 

 Courageously deciding to keep going, he takes a deep breath and gets back on the move. When he is close enough to the source of the eerie singing, he hides behind a tree that is pretty close to the water. There’s a little girl kneeling over the creek holding a wildflower, gazing lovingly at the small petals.

 

“Up the river to my friend.” the little voice continued.

 

  Kai steps away from his spot and moves closer to the young child, careful not to make any quick actions.

 

“My pretty friend is never coming back again.” she ended, sounding so vulnerable and hurt that it made Kai’s lungs burn with the short breaths he took in. What friend? Is she singing about a real person? Why are they never coming back?

 

“Excuse me?” he said quietly from behind her.

 

  The little girl is startled and quickly turns around. Rising from her spot while still holding the flower, she looks up at the strange man. The girl doesn’t reply.

 

“W-why are you out here alone?” Kai asks.

 

  She doesn’t answer.

 

“It’s getting dark out, do you know how to get home?”

 

  The little girl shrugs her shoulders and starts walking, the guardian follows her.

 

“What’s your name?” he asks, but again, she doesn’t reply. Maybe her parents taught her not to give out information to strangers?

 

“I’m Kai.” he offers.

 

“Hello Kai.” she says adorably, with her back still facing him.

 

“Is your home up the stream?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“We should probably get you home sweetie.” he says calmly.

 

“Who is we?” she asks, stopping in her place.

 

“Just me and you.” he answers, gesturing for her to go on.

 

  They must have traveled in silence for nearly a full minute. Well not completely in silence, the little girl hummed to the same tune she sang earlier. Kai felt very weird about this situation, it seemed as if he has been in a similar predicament before.

“May I ask you a question?”

 

“Sure.” the child shrugs her shoulders as they follow along the stream

 

“Who is your friend?” Kai questioned, pointing to the wildflower she was still holding.

 

  The little girl stops and Kai suddenly has to push himself back from tripping over her. She faces the water again and peels off the petals from the stem. With all the petals in one hand, she drops it in the creek and Kai watches nature take its course.

 

“She was really pretty.”

 

“Was?”

 

  She starts walking again and Kai makes it a point to walk alongside her and the small rocky stream.

 

“Mhm.” she hummed.


   After dropping the girl off back home, he turned around and faced the forest once more. Shutting his eyes, he makes contact with Luhan and his brother tells him that they are all taking positions. Kai teleports back right before you head into the forest, just in time, and you run to him and give a big hug and a scolding. He stands next to Luhan and Lay and contemplates just what these trees have been trying to tell him since he has arrived.

"What's wrong?" Luhan asks.

"I met a girl." is all he says and refers in his mind back to what just happened a couple minutes ago.

 

“What was her name?”

 

“Selene.”

 

“That’s a pretty name.” he said as they broke out from the forest into a large backyard.

 

“She said she had to go.”

 

“Why?”

 

“She said she had to make the moon come up.”

 

  Luhan snaps his neck to Kai. Catching on to what Kai's memory is trying to say, he stares at his brother. Tears fill his eyes.

 

"Mom?"


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Okay, some of you might be hella confused. If so, refer to the prologue.
 
And no I did not make any name mistakes.
 
Happy Holidays!