Chapter Two

REIGN

 

It was finally the day that all the guests were to begin arriving for the royal ball, but most importantly, the meeting between Prince Hoya and myself. I sat in my room, adding some light make up to my face to bring my features out more as Kairi sat beside me, ‘I’ve heard that he can be very snobbish. Very cocky about every little thing he does.’

‘Really? Who told you that Kairi?’

‘From the servants of course!

 

I laughed as I placed some earrings on, making her turn to me in confusion, ‘You shouldn’t believe everything you hear from the servants, sometimes they could be a bluff!’

 

‘Oh yeah, I forgot …’ I smiled at her when all of a sudden the neighing and the trotting of horses  could be heard from outside. Kairi peeped through the window and squealed, ‘They’re here Aria!’

 

I quickly stood up, looking through the window to see two figures exiting the carriage. I sighed before quickly standing up and walking towards the bedroom door but was stopped by Kairi, ‘What is it Kairi?’

'Whatever happens, I'll always be here for you. If this guy is a jerk I’ll punch him for you!’

 

'Thank you Kairi your too kind.' I said with a gentle laugh before grasping her hand.

We walked to the entrance of the castle where I was to be announced. Kairi slipped through the doors to where she should've been standing waiting to greet them about ten minutes ago.

 

As I breathed heavily with nervousness, I finally heard Bryn's loud voice over everyone else's announce, 'May I present, Her royal Highness, Queen Aria.'

 

The oak doors finally opened as I stood in the centre of them, looking towards the carriage where a woman and young man stood who I presumed as Hoya. I quickly began to walk to towards them to greet them.

 

I stopped before Queen Lynn who was Hoya's Mother, curtseying to her, 'it's an honour to meet you your Majesty.'

 

'Please rise my dear,’ I was pulled into a proper stance by her as she looked at me up and down like an x-ray, ‘You really are such a jewel, and really will be a beautiful Queen!'

'Thank you your Majesty for your kind words.'

 

I looked towards Hoya who was watching me intently with a small smile. My knees when weak at his gaze, his piercing brown almond eyes staring into my own, his outfit fitting him nice tight, 'You must be Prince Hoya I presume?'

 

'Yes I am, please call me Hoya your Majesty' He said as he bend down as he took my hand and kissed it gently, I smiled gently as my cheeks tinted pink, 'Call me Aria.'

 

He smiled down at me again before I looked towards the castle to hide my blushing cheeks, 'You must be exhausted after such a long journey. Please follow me.'

 

The Prince and Queen both separated from me to get comfortable in their new rooms for the next few days. They would be staying a few days longer so Hoya and I could try and get along.

 

I stood in the throne room alone. The council had visited to make sure the arrangements for the ball were complete and had returned to their rooms to get some shut eye. I stared mindlessly from the window, watching Sora and Riku bickering with each other as they practiced their battle skills on one another. 

 

It made me think back to the moment when the war had ended, that moment only a year ago. 

 

-

 

‘Sora!? Riku!? Hurry up, were going to miss it!’ I screamed at the bottom of the staircase, my white and gold dress dancing around me as I tapped my foot urgently. 

‘Were coming! Give us a second!’ Sora’s voice echoed from somewhere upstairs, ‘We don’t have a second!’ Kairi yelled back from beside me. 

 

Finally the boys came running down the stairs, their suits finally on and intact, dodging my annoyed expression before pulling me and Kairi out of the house. We all ran through the groups of people that crowded , pushing and shoving while throwing apology after apology to people who cursed after us. 

 

We entered the town square where people were singing, dancing and cheering, just like before the war. I looked towards the pier where the rest of the villagers were headed to. ‘Come on guys! We have to get onto that boat or were going to be killed by the King!’ 

 

Yet again we set off running towards the pier and paid a token to use the wooden boat that had been decorated with flowers and crystals that surely would be stolen by the greedy. 

 

The boys rowed us out to the heart of the ocean when suddenly people started the count down. ‘Oh great, were late to our own party! Where were the ones who are SUPPOSED to set off the beacon of Hope and Love that symbols the end of the war with our Keyblades!’ Kairi said towards the boys who just looked away in shame. ‘Wait! Why not set it off here? It perfect since the ocean means so much to the people of Destiny Islands in many ways …’

 

‘Thats a great idea Aria!’ Sora said, getting to his feet slowly as well as Kairi and Riku. We summoned our Keyblades, getting ready to set off the beacon as the count down rang in our ears. 

 

‘… 1O … 9 … 8 …7 …6 …’

  

“So much happened in so little time! I wonder what the future will bring …”

 

‘… 5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1!’

 

As we heard everyone scream one, we lifted out Keyblades into the air at perfect timing, each Keyblade releasing a bolt of light of the colours of gold, purple, pink and blue before moulding into the symbol of the Keyblade as the King spoke with a magnified voice from the Islands, ‘The war is over.’ 

 

-

 

'Excuse me your Majesty?' I turned to find Hoya standing behind me, smiling gently, ‘I hope I am not disturbing you.’

I shook my head slightly, ‘No, no of course you're not. Please call me Aria by all means.’

‘Yes of course, I was wondering if I could ask you to accompany me for a stroll in the garden perhaps?’ 

'Of course you may ...'

 

He smiled before lending me his hand which I took before he led me into the beautiful garden, a more comfortable silence surrounding us, ‘So Aria, tell me a few things about yourself.'

 

'Well I like to read a lot, sketch and paint, nursing and helping children in the village which I do often, I like to write and train with my friends and brother.'

I smiled gently as I sat down upon a bench slowly, Hoya following my movements and sitting beside me, before I asked, 'What about you? Tell me a little bit about yourself Hoya,'

 

‘Well, I do a lot of things outside the castle for example hunting and horse riding, I also do a bit of art myself in gardens of the castle back on earth. I also am very good at sword fighting and fencing, which really come in handy in a battle.'

 

'Wow, that's amazing! Your very talented Hoya!'

'Thank you Aria-' we both turned, startled to hear the bells within the castle go off like gentle chimes. I laughed slightly before turning to Hoya who pulled me upon my feet again before saying, 'Thats my que to go get ready for the ball, I'll see you again soon, your Highness.’

 

He kissed my hand before bowing to me as I curtsied before him, 'And I you, Prince Hoya.'

 

He smiled towards me before returning to his quarters as I skipped happily towards my room, humming in content. I opened the door to find it empty which made me just a little more happier so I could just get ready on my own.

 

I chose a white, diamond incrusted dress that fitted in just the right places, I did my hair up in a braided bun also placing small white roses in it. I added a slight dash of makeup, bringing out my features more.

 

I smiled as I heard trumpets sound, the signal for the ball to start.

 

I slowly stood up before hearing a soft knock on my room door. I walked over to the door which opened before me, revealing a very dashing Riku who wore a black entire with gold streaks here and there. He smiled down at me, 'Riku! You look very dashing tonight!'

 

'Thank you, and you look dazzling my dear Queen,' He smiled before bowing to me, 'Your Highness, it would be an honour to you to the ball tonight.'

I smiled, curtsying again towards him, 'Of course you may!'

 

We both made our way towards the ballroom where everyone was dancing, music emitting from the grand room. Everyone was dressed in either beautifully crafted dresses or in suits. 'Her Majesty Queen Aria and Soldier Riku.'

 

Everyone turned to us and bowed to us, I nodded towards everyone who smiled at me before, standing before the throne as the music quietened down. 'Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I would like to welcome you all here tonight. And especially our guests Prince Hoya and her Majesty Queen Lynn who have traveled all the way from Earth. Please enjoy the feast and ball tonight!'

 

Everyone cheered, clapping loudly before returning to talking and dancing as the music started again.

 

I walked towards the crowds of guests, beginning an immediate discussion with one of the Kings along with his Wife from one of the realms, speaking about how to start new protection systems and weapons.

 

I found myself sipping the water from my goblet, looking around at the guests who danced in happiness and clarity. I found Sora beside me who smirked before tugging at my hand, 'Join me in a dance!'

 

I smiled, quickly placing my goblet on a passing tray before placing my hand on his shoulder and one in his hand, as he took hold of my hand and waist.

 

We found ourselves laughing and giggling as we danced around the room, other guests joining in as well as the little children while other circled us and watched on.

 

Finally the song hit its final notes and the crowd of guests clapped and cheered aloud, we bowed towards everyone before looking at each other with large grins.

 

'Excuse me?' We both turned to see Hoya smiling towards us, 'If its all right, may I have a dance with your sister?'

 

Sora smirked before nodding, pushing me towards him. I smiled at him before placing my hand on his shoulder and one one his hand. But this time, I was shaking with nerves as he led me through the slow song that rang through the room, but to me it felt like everything slowed down.

 

I finally looked up to see Hoya looking down at me, our eyes connecting in an instant like and electric shock running through my body. We were so mesmerized with each other that we didn't even feel the rose petals fall from the balconies above from the servants.

 

Finally the song stopped and we stood there, staring into each others eyes endlessly as we finally smiled looking up to see the endless flower petals and flowers falling upon us.

 

-

 

I sat in my bedroom, pulling my hair loose from its bun before hearing a knock on the door, seemed like I was getting a lot of those. I turned to see Queen Lynn in her night dress and gown. I gasped before quickly getting to feet, 'Your Majesty?! I didn't know it was you! You should've gotten the guard to pronounce you!-'

 

'My child please! It is quite all right!' Lynn said with a small smile, 'What brings you here your Majesty? I thought you would be resting after such a long day ...'

 

'Don't worry my dear, I've gone through many years of busier times.'

 

'Is royal life that hard your Majesty?' I said with a small smile as I sat down on my bed. She nodded before taking the hairbrush from my table and beginning to brush my hair gently making me freeze.

 

'You know Aria, before all this I was just a normal girl like yourself before you became a Keyblader.’

‘Really your Majesty?’

‘Yes, I used to work in a bakery with my five brothers and parents until the Prince visited disguised as farm boy. Seven years later I find myself in the great castle allocated on Earth beside my husband who was now coronated as King!’

I giggled slightly, 'Your probably doubting that you won't be good Queen, even with a King by your side, right?'

 

I nodded, sighing heavily. From the moment King Michael had proclaimed that I the future Queen to the fair Kingdoms of the realms, I was doubting that I never could be the Queen everyone wanted me to be. 

 

-

‘What is your purpose here, warrior of the Keyblade?’

‘I was summoned here by the King, sir,’ I said to the Chief advisor, Victor who looked down at me with his eyebrow raised. 

 

He disappeared from the throne room, leaving me to stand awkwardly on my own with the guards beside me. Before long he returned, ‘You may go and see him.’

 

I slowly exited the throne room and walked down the corridor slowly, slightly worried of what I was about to encounter. I knocked upon the door of the King before hearing a wheezy voice reply, ‘Enter.’

 

I pushed opened the door to see the great King Michael leaning against many pillows, more pale and giant than ever before, ‘Aria, so good to see you after all this time…’

 

‘I set off as soon as I got your message your Majesty. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting-’

‘Of course not my dear! Please come, come!’ 

 

I smiled before making my way around his bed before settling on the spot he had patted weakly beside him. I looked up at the King who smiled at me gently. 

‘Is anything the matter your Majesty?’

‘No, no not at all. Its just something is going to happen very soon, then there may be war yet again.’

 

I looked up at him puzzled, ‘Your Majesty?’

‘Unfortunately, the healers have been unable to heal the wounds I’ve been given regretfully by Xehanort a few weeks ago and it has been told that I won’t make it through the night,’ He said while moving his white shirt away to reveal his dark scarlet bandages which was continuously bleeding, ‘But I’ve accepted it. I’ve lived my life to the fullest! I lived out my childhood learning the ways of my royal subjects, hunting and seeking adventure through the twelve realms just like yourself, I married Alina who was and still is the love of my life and we both ruled well together for a very long time but I lost her during the war after there was a siege here, then obviously I had to call the Keybladers together to fight the evil that had driven happiness and hope from our land. Then we finally finished Xehanort … Yet all the while, Alina and I never had children …’

 

‘Why?’

‘Unfortunately, Alina could not bare with child … And yet, I have to choose a successor who will take over the throne as King or Queen and Guardian of the twelve realms, and by all costs protect the realms from harm. And Aria. I’ve chosen you to be my successor.’

‘W-What?!’ I said, my eyes widening into large circles, ‘Y-You want me to be th-the next Queen and Guardian of the twelve realms!?’

 

‘Are you not happy with my decision?’ The King weekly said with a small smile, his face becoming more paler by the minute, ‘No, no your Majesty I would be greatly honoured! Its just being Queen, what if I’m not a good Queen?! I mean out of the rest of the Keybladers, why choose me? Why not choose someone like Sora or Kairi or Riku or Terra or SOMEONE-’

 

‘Aria,’ I shut up straight away as the King took my hand quickly, squeezing before speaking gently, ‘I know this must be hard for you, to know that I’m giving you such a legacy to continue, but I know I’ve chosen the right person as my successor. I’ve watched you and your companions ever since you obtained the Keyblade Aria. And I’ve never seen a spirit much like yourself, one that has a brave and roaring heart waiting for adrenaline-racing adventure, yet you are a gentle, beautiful and kind young lady you are that continues to act with such grace and poise. Aria, I pronounce you as my successor, the next heir to my throne. The Queen who will reign in my legacy … Will you continue it?’

 

Tears had filled my eyes as I felt his grip slacken by the second. ‘Yes, your Majesty, I will be the next Queen, and I hope to make you proud.’

‘You already have my dear …’ His lifted his hand gently, caressing my cheek with a small smile, and with a sudden sigh, his body fell limp against the sheets, his hand slipping my face and my my hand.

 

My tears fell as I sobbed into his hand, crying out as Victor and the guards came crashing in, entering to only find, that their great King Michael, was now dead.

-

Lynn knelt before me as she watched my saddened expression, taking my hands in hers, 'Trust me my dear, you'll be a beautiful, kind ruler, and will reign for a long time. I've heard a lot about you from the council and from my advisor and council member Woohyun, he told me of all the adventures you've been on and how you stood by your King in the fight against the darkness. But not only that, King Michael was a dear friend of mine and told me that if he had to choose someone to be his next successor, it would be you. He told me of how you were so very brave to even go face to face with Xehanort himself! If I were you I would’ve run for the hills,’ I giggled as she let a laugh before becoming serious again, ‘To me my dear, as a woman, that takes courage, deep courage that not everybody has to face their enemy. In my word everyone would stand beside you and vote for you to be their Queen, because no one could ever be as strong as you are.’

 

I smiled down at her, squeezing her hand gently, 'Thank you your Majesty, for you kind words.’ She patted my cheek gently before pulling back the sheets of my bed and helped me into bed, ‘Good night Aria.’

‘Good night your Majesty,’ I said with a smile as she turned back towards the entrance of my room, ‘Your Majesty?’

‘Yes?’

‘Thank you, for everything.’