Chapter Five

REIGN

 

Days past and still the results of the fingerprints from the dagger had not been detected yet, and the intruder had somewhat disappeared. The day after the incident with the hooded man, a wall in one of the corridors had been covered in a bloody message reading, 'XEHANORT WILL RISE AGAIN! AND YOU SHALL FALL!'

 

Guards had been put everywhere in the castle now for extra. The preparations for the wedding at the castle that I lived in had now begun since Woohyun decided to go and help alongside Hanna, a very dear friend of mine from our original home.

 

I now walked along the corridors of the castle beside Hoya who held my hand gently, ’If only we could find out who was behind all of this, then we could catch them once and for all.'

 

'I know my love, but nothing is as easy as it comes. Soon enough we will be King and Queen of the twelve realms, with you as their new ruler and Guardian-’

‘US, as their new ruler and guardians, now that I'm marrying I don't want to leave you out in anything.'

 

Hoya smiled down at me before turning at the call of his name, 'Sorry, I think I'm late for the meeting with one of the townsfolk. I'll talk to you later?'

'Of course!' I said with a smile as he kissed me gently before whispering, 'Try not to get into trouble...'

 

I smiled before he walked off into one of the endless corridors. I looked out one of the windows beside me, breathing in the crisp fresh air.

 

I heard twigs snap beneath the window before looking down to see something wisp past really fast. I ran through the corridor, watching as it continued running, I ran down the stairs and his behind it as it ran past at a speed so fast that it was nothing but a blur.

 

I quickly ran behind a pillar, looking at it from a distance as it stayed still, it's true form nothing but smoke and black like fire. I could hear it talking in a strange language, not one that I could recognise.

 

Before I could get closer it disappeared in a flash of smoke. I quickly ran to the spot of where it was, I sighed heavily before catching sight of a long piece of black crystal on the floor. I took a small pouch from my cloak pocket, picking the object up gently and looking it curiously.

 

I made it back into the castle, walking at a fast pace through the corridors and down into the basements where the labs resided, 'Daehyun?'

 

'Oh your Majesty! What can I do for you?' He said turning to me with a smile as he placed a clipboard down upon a table, 'I found this crystal hanging around the gardens and thought you'll be able to find out what it was.'

 

He took the pouch, eyeing it carefully, ‘I’ve never seen this kind of crystal before! Its pure darkness I can say that, but I’ll get to work straight away your Majesty! I'll come to you when I have an answer.'

I nodded before exiting the lab, sighing as I made my ways through the corridors, my mind slipping back to the hooded man, "What did that hooded figure mean, Xehanort will rise again? We destroyed him then and there in the war ..."

 

-

 

I was hurled across the battle field, thrown against a large broken pillar before sliding down it. I looked up as I wiped the trickling blood from my lips before getting to my feet and running towards the Heartless, hitting it with one of the greatest strikes I could throw at it before it disappeared.

 

Screams, cries and shouts filled my ears as I fought, the sound of clinking and clanking armour accompanying it. It was Keybladers against the Darkness, fighting for the right to live in peace and harmony. I threw my weight behind my Keyblade, making a heartless tumble back in spite as I stabbed it right in the chest. 

 

I looked around the Keyblade Graveyard, watching the Keybladers battle with everything they had been trained with, dirt rising as their feet almost danced upon it. Mickey and Ansem the Wise bringing down Vanitas, Xibar falling at Roxas’ hands, Xion and Axel slamming Siax to the floor, Xemnas duelling three at once; Sora, Kairi and Riku. 

 

I joined the three, making Xemnas sneer, ‘Well, well, you’ve finally joined us! I was beginning to wonder where you were Aria,’

‘I’m right here Xemnas!’ I shouted in aspiration, slashing my Keyblade in anguish, the trio joining me in my fight against Xemnas. 

 

I heard grunting and shouts from above; I looked up at one of the pillars to see King Michael, Terra, Aqua and Ventus all fighting against the evil seeker of darkness that had started all of this, Xehanort. His evil eagle-like, yellow eyes seeable even through the climbing dust storms. 

 

Just as I turned to look, Ventus had been grabbed by his armoured helmet by Xehanort who sneered down at me, his fist crushing the helmet painfully slowly as Ventus let out a cry. Before I could respond, Xehanort’s hand set alight as well as Ventus’s armour. ‘VENTUS!’ I screamed as he looked at me through the crack in his helmet, his eyes connecting with my own as he let out a scream of pain, Xehanort freezing his body entirely before throwing him off the side of the pillar like a ragged useless doll. ‘NOOO!’ 

 

I screamed as I ran at an unbelievable speed, skidding across the dirt before grabbing him before he could hit the ground. I gasped for air as I sat up quickly, bringing into my lap as he shook in pain as the ice pulsed continuously through his veins, ‘Ven, you're okay —You're going to be okay!’ I said in quick gasps for air. 

 

I heard another scream from above to see Aqua and Terra falling from the pillar, I lifted my hand up instinctively, a crystal clear shield appearing which they fell upon, their screams ceasing as they fell with a small thud to the ground. 

‘Is-is he okay?!’ Terra said hurriedly as he and Aqua kneeled beside me and the frozen body of Ventus, not caring about their own wounds, ‘I don’t know-I-’ 

 

I stopped mid-sentence as I looked around us, a bluish light bathing over us as I gasped in horror, making Terra and Aqua look at me, ‘No … No …’

I looked up and my worst fears had been realised as I let out a cry, making Aqua and Terra embracing me as they gasped in horror at the scene.

 

Up in the sky, the angry black storms clouds rolled away from each other to reveal a large blue-like, heart shaped moon. Kingdom Hearts, the key to Xehanort’s plans to getting the X Blade (X = KYE or KEY).

 

‘Help me move Ventus to a safe place, I need to go up and fight that monster!’ I said as I lifted Ventus’ heavy weight, along with Aqua and Terra. Just as I turned to run up the hill, Aqua and Terra stood before me, ‘Were coming with you!’ 

I shook my head, ‘No, this war started all because I was chosen by the Keyblade and then Xehanort came after me because of it! I’m not going to let anyone else die because of me …’

 

Without another word, I ran up the pillar, grunting as I felt my anger and rage build up against Xehanort. As I reached the top I gasped in horror as I watched Xehanort stun Sora who let out a choked gasp before falling to the ground, unmoving. Bodies lay about, Riku’s, Kairi’s, King Michael’s …

 

I let out a scream of rage before charging at Xehanort who turned swiftly with a smirk and wicked cackle, as our Keyblades clashed against one another’s, ‘So Aria, what are you going to do when I kill your brother and your best friends?’

 

‘You will never touch them with death, because I’ll kill you before you get the chance!’ I scream and lunged at him, but anger and rage what not the way to ever take down an enemy and I knew it deep down, but had ignored one of the most important rules of fighting, never let your anger get to your head.

 

Xehanort grabbed me by my hair pushing me into the ground before pulling a knife from his pocket, piercing my shoulder as I screamed in stupendous pain. I tried to push him off but was too weak, letting him pull me up by my neck, tightening his grasp as he sneered, ‘You were saying?!’

 

I choked, unable to breathe any longer before he let go of my neck, letting me fall to the ground as my lungs screamed for air. I looked up in time to see Xehanort lift his Keyblade up, the moon’s glare brightening over me as I knew my death came slowly. For if Xehanort murdered a Keyblader that resonated in the light, the X Blade would be forged, and it would be his. 

 

But as I squinted up at him through tears, King Michael launched himself at Xehanort along with his Keyblade, there was a flash of light and in an instant covered my eyes from the blinding light. 

 

I looked back to find Xehanort’s face in distraught, the unconscious awakening and turning to stare at the sight. When suddenly Xehanort let out a scream that pierced our ears, making us flinch in horror as he was absorbed in darkness. 

 

I looked back to see that their was nothing left except for his cloak that was abandoned on the floor, tarnished and burnt. I looked around to see Riku, Sora and Kairi huddled together, looking up at me with hope. I ran over them and embraced them, all of us crying. I looked up at the faces of my best friends and brother as we all smiled at each other.

 

‘A-Aria …’ I turned to see Ventus, laid in Aqua’a lap. I ran over to him, holding his unfreezing hand. His body was returning to normal, but the chill in his body had not left. ‘Is-Is he gone?’

‘Yes Ventus! He is gone for good!’ I said through tears as he sighed in relief, smiling up at me. I placed a kiss on his forehead before standing and turning to the King, ‘Its over after so many years your Majesty …’

‘I know my dear. I can’t believe it either …’

 

I looked at the faces of my friends, more like family. I looked up at the sky as Kingdom Hearts reigned down on us, ‘Its time that you went back to your slumber Kingdom Hearts …’ 

 

I whispered before raising my Keyblade up towards Kingdom Hearts, a fragment of light flickering from it before shooting up into the air. Before long, the Kingdom Hearts’ light faded slowly as the clouds closed in on it, shrouded its pale light away from us.

 

-

 

I turned to see Kairi, Sora and Riku making their way towards me, 'Did you guys find anything in the library that could help us?'

'Nothing! We searched in every single section and couldn't find anything at all ....' Kairi said, red in the face from tiredness. I sighed heavily before looking towards Riku, 'How has everything been Riku?’

 

'Better, as I am not locked up as usual and I'm finally able to help with the mystery of this hooded man, it's just I can't think of anyone who would do this! We destroyed all the Organisation members and most of his followers are locked up in prison .... So who could it be?'

 

'I have no idea Riku, I also wonder who could do such a thing after a year of peace ...' I looked towards Sora who was staring darkly at Riku, his face gaunt and black shadows under his eyes, 'Sora what do you think?'

'I think it might be the person who's been with us all along! I think he's just trying to save his own skin!'

 

Riku turned angrily, his eyes darkening, ’You think I'm trying to kill my best friend’s sister, MY best friend?! That's just sick Sora! Why would I want her dead and WHY would you think that in the first place?!'

'So then you can rise to power and have all the glory! Maybe you want to take her throne and be KING-’

'ENOUGH! Both of you stop it!' I roared as Kairi and I pushed ourselves between them, stopping them from actually getting to the point of physically hurting each other.

 

'Sora I don't what's up with you, but Riku would never do that! Now go and walk it off before I get one of the guards make you!' Sora his heel and marched down the corridor, Kairi following, most likely to help him calm down.

 

'Sorry about that Aria ...'

‘No, it's not your fault Riku. I love you and Sora, and I am so thankful that you both care for me as I care for both of you. I think you should go and get some rest, you look exhausted,' Riku smiled before bowing to me in gratitude and walking down the opposite direction, leaving me in the darkening corridor.

 

-

 

I readied myself for bed when Hoya walked in, smiling as I watched him through the mirror, ‘Oh, good evening my Lord, and what do I owe the pleasure of your company tonight?'

 

'I just wanted to check how my Queen is,' He said kissing my exposed neck gently making me sigh, 'Hoya! Someone could come in!'  I giggled as he helped me stand upright, bringing me into a hug.

 

‘Don’t worry about it! I also want you to know that I’ve put extra guards outside your room for your protection. I don't want anything happening to you.'

I pulled away from him, smiling slightly, ‘Of course Hoya, I don't mind at all.'

He smiled down at me, pushing my hair out of my face gently, 'I love you Aria, you know that?'

'Of course, I love you too.'

 

He smiled kissing my lips gently, placing his hand at the back of my head as I placed my hands in his hair pulling at it light, he grabbed my waist instinctively as I let out a gasp quietly, ‘Aria?-Oh!’

We both pulled away to see Kairi, turning red by the second before shutting the door with a slight slam, her footsteps echoing down the hallway. 

 

Hoya and I turned to each in shock before bursting out in laughter, ‘I think I should get going, you look very tired AND we have another banquet lunch with the Kings and Queens of the twelve realms tomorrow.’

‘Right, I nearly forgot about that …’ Hoya smiled before kissing my forehead one last time before turning and exiting my room.

 

I sighed heavily, shaking my head before walking over to my bed and pulling back the covers, escaped into the warm and cosy bed. I laid there, thinking about how the weeks had passed by so quickly since my first meeting with Hoya, which had been three months ago. 

 

Now, we were engaged! But along with this engagement was death and horror of the news that Xehanort might rise again, and come after me … To kill me. I sighed heavily before turning on my side, staring out of the window and to the open sea, the waves crashing against the cliffs. 

 

 

Hoya listened intently, his ear upon the door of Aria’s room before coming to the conclusion that she had fallen asleep before making his way down the corridor quietly, his footsteps echoing across the marble floor.

 

He finally came to a stop before a door, nodding towards the guards who stood before it who nodded back, moving away down the corridor. He sighed heavily before pushing open the door with a slam, ‘What the-’

 

Riku found himself pushed against the wall by Hoya who grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, ‘Did you do it?’

‘What?! What are you-’

‘You know EXACTLY what I’m talking about! All the incidents that have been going on here at the castle! Is it you!’ Hoya said annoyed, ‘No! I didn’t do it, like I said, I was getting some air-’

‘After dancing with Zaira … Yeah I know.’ Riku stared at him with confusion as Hoya let go of him, ‘I know you loved her Riku … and you still do, but I just want to ask you as her Fiancé, did you do all this because of her being engaged to me?’

 

‘No, I would never do this to her because she’s marrying you …’ Riku said while moving away from Hoya and turned to looking out of the window, ‘I-I do love her, I always have … But she has moved on, and now is loving you. And eventually, I will too move on.’

 

Hoya sighed heavily before speaking again, ‘I never wanted your friendships to crash like this because of me … But I just need to clarify, just in case your darkness IS possessing you and it is leaving blank spaces in your memory, tell me everything that happened that night …’

 

_

 

Kairi walked through the lab, the other scientists and professors still working hard into the night with the mysterious black crystal that had been given to them by Aria. She finally stopped before the containment cylinder that held the knife that had killed the guard on the night of the Ball. 

 

Her fingers danced across the keypad before her as screens hung in the air, revealing the information that they needed to find out who was the true killer and intruder. She continued to scroll through the information, reading it with great thought before stopping mid scroll. 

 

She scrolled back up to the information on the fingerprints and the damage that the knife given to the victim, 'It can’t be … How could he … He couldn’t!’

Kairi typed as fast as she could, trying to find another resolution to this, but to no prevail. She continued to read the fingerprint information, not believing what she was reading. 

 

‘I have to tell the boys!’ She whispered to herself before running from the lab, many of the scientists watching her with confusion and shock at her sudden take off.

 

_

 

The hooded figure jumped over the balcony after making sure no guards were patrolling through the corridor. He almost glided across the floors as he hid behind statues and in empty rooms when guards came walking but him. 

 

He turned the corner to find that the room that contained Queen Aria was guarded by four guards. He smirked before taking off, he grabbed the head of the first guard, cracking it swiftly as he let out a choked gasp before crashing to the floor. 

 

The next guard was stabbed in the stomach, his mouth covered as he screamed uncontrollable pain, the third guard was stabbed in the back who fell to the ground silently. The last guard was knocked over the head, his throat also slit for good measure.

 

The marble floor was painted with blood as it oozed out from every soldier, not one of them moving. Finally the hooded figure stood upright again, looking around to see if anyone was around before turning towards the Queen’s room and striding over to it, opening it without a sound.

 

_

 

‘… Then after we danced I went get some air and went to just try and cool off by the fountain. When I returned everyone was gone and the castle was dead silent!’ Riku said as he paced the room before Hoya, retracing his memories carefully like a woven path. 

Hoya thought deeply before stating, ‘The girl that had witnessed the crime said that the attacker had long spiky hair with blue eyes AND was wearing a black Soldier uniform with a white ribbon-’

‘No, my ribbon was red not white!’

 

‘What?! Show me now!’ Hoya said as Riku quickly opened his closet, pulling out the uniform to show the long sash of red ribbon that hung over the black uniform, ‘But then … who was it that-’ Hoya stopped mid-sentence before looking up at Riku who shook his head, his face drawn in doubt, ‘No way, he couldn’t have …’ He said quickly before exiting the room, Hoya at his heel.

 

‘Who else could it have been! Think about it Riku! All that time he never was there when these events occurred, how he wasn’t there when the hooded figure attacked Kairi and killed the witness, how someone RELATED to the royals told the guards to lock you up in your room-’ 

 

Riku threw open a door to a room, finding it completely empty but devastation. The covers of the bed drawn back messily, the walls covered in black writing and ink and the curtains of the windows slashed and torn, glass smashed and glittered the floor.

He strode over to the closet to reveal the uniform lying messily on the floor of it, the white ribbon and uniform shredded and covered in red blood. 

 

‘Guys!’ Hoya and Riku turned to find Kairi before them, red and out of breath. Her eyes tore to the uniform and around the room, making tears form in her eyes as she looked back towards the boys, ‘The DNA tests and samples from the knife came in. It was him all along, it was the one person we trusted the most, it was Sora!’