Chapter Nine

REIGN

 

I had come to the decision to marry Prince Hoya, not for myself, but for my people. I did want to get married to Riku, but I couldn't just abandon my Kingdoms.  

 

I sat patiently as Hanna and Kairi did my hair up into a braided bun, decorating it with precious white flowers from the garden. My dress was was made mostly lace and chiffon material with an open back and V neckline with a trail to end it all off, which was made my Hanna's mother who insisted on designing it.

 

Kairi's and Hanna's dresses were also designed by Hanna’s Mother, the colour of their gowns were almost a purplish-blue, their hair done in French braids, dotted in violets.

 

Just as they placed my veil in my hair, there was a knock on the door and I looked up into the mirror to see Sora walk in quietly, smiling gently as me, 'May I have some time with my sister?'

 

The girls nodded before leaving the room quietly to get their bouquets, including my own.

 

'You look ... Absolutely radiant Aria,' Sora said as he smiled up as I stood up, looking down at me, ‘I can't believe your finally getting married!'

'I know it all seems so surreal after the past couple of weeks.'

 

Sora grabbed my hand before saying, 'I just wanted to tell you, about how sorry I am for what I did over the past couple of weeks, I-I didn't know it was he who was talking to me in that garden! And I nearly killed you-'

 

'Sora none of that is your fault, Xehanort was possessing you to get to me and scare me off my throne! And I forgive you for everything you've done because it wasn't you at all. Now, would you please help put this tiara on?'

 

He gave a light chuckle before placing the tiara on my head with lightest touch, 'You look like a true Queen, Aria. And you will be a great one, by far the best.'

 

He kissed my forehead gently before taking my hand, ‘You’ll make Mother and Father proud …’ I smiled at his words, my parents popping into mind, they weren’t able to come to for the Wedding since Father could no longer walk properly and did not have the best of health.  

 

Finally, he led me out of the room, where the girls stood waiting. Kairi gave me a big smile, handing me my bouquet of white roses and violets before giving me a big hug, ‘I’m so happy for you Aria, I can’t believe your getting married!’

 

I giggled at her words, I couldn’t believe that the wedding had come so fast, and that finally I could marry the man that I loved. Sora led me through the corridors and towards the Ballroom at a slow pace so I wouldn't trip over my dress.

 

In the corner of my eye, I could see the guards finally stopping their act of being frozen and turned to look at me in awe, all smiling as I passed them which I returned while bowing my head to them.

 

Finally we stood before the ballroom, the gold doors standing shut before me. I breathed in deeply and the girls smiled at me in excitement, bouncing on the balls of their feet. 

 

Sora squeezed my hand gently, giving me a large smile as the doors opened to reveal the mass of guests and of course, my husband to be.

 

We made our way down the stairs slowly as the sound of violins and pianos began to fill the room, the notes echoing through the room as the guests climbed to their feet. The guests smiling at me, some already crying their eyes out, some just in awe. 

 

I caught sight of Allison who smiled at me with awe, holding onto the hand of Lee who gave me a salute who I both waved at. I saw many of my friends from my original home, Lia and Sebastian standing with large smiles. All the Keybladers we had ever fought beside who had become like family to me all stood near the front, Ventus, Terra, Aqua, Axel, Xion, Roxas, Ansem the Wise, Mickey ....

 

I looked towards the one man who was taking my attention at that very moment, Hoya. He smiled as tears filled his eyes, wiping them instantly as Woohyun and Dongwoo stood beside him in a fit of silent laughter. 

 

Tears of my own met my eyes as I finally stood before him, I turned to Sora who smiled down on me, whispering, ‘Long live the Queen.’ I felt him kiss my forehead as I embraced him. I pulled away as he held out my hand to Hoya who smiled, ‘Look after her Hoya …’

‘I will, with my life!’ He said with a large smile. 

 

He helped me upon the stand that stood before the Priest, both of us facing each other as he spoke, the music becoming more softer than before, ‘We are gathered here today in perfect harmony, to bring together the lives of two people who have decided to connect their live in the ceremony of marriage, the lives of Queen to be, Aria and Prince Hoya will unite their lives on this day …’

 

The wedding went on faster than I imagined it to, finally we were at the ceremony of the rings, ‘Hoya, with this ring will you promise to watch over Aria, to love and protect her in all she does as Queen and Guardian of the twelve realms? To not stray, and to love her in sickness and in health, do death do you part?’

 

‘I do,’ Hoya said as he placed the ring gently on my finger, ‘Aria, with this ring will you promise to watch over Hoya, to love and protect him in all she does as King and Guardian of the twelve realms? To not stray, and to love him in sickness and in health, do death do you part?’

‘I do,’ I said with a large smile as I placed the ring upon his finger. ‘I now pronounce you, husband and wife. Hoya you may kiss your bride.’

 

Hoya gave me a large smile before cupping my cheeks, placing gentle kiss upon my lips quickly. The crowd roared, cheering, whooping, crying, everything came at us as we kissed, I laughed along with Hoya who embraced me, holding me close to him as I hugged him tightly. 

 

I opened to find sparkles falling around us, looking around to find that Aqua and Ventus had lifted their Keyblade’s up into the air, sparkling stars produced from them. 

 

Ven gave me a wink as I just laughed, shrieking as Hoya lifted me up and span me around. Everything around me becoming a blur, a blur of happiness, but in the midst a blur of doubt. 

 

-

 

I giggled as Hoya pulled onto the dance floor, holding my waist gently as he held my hand gently. We danced around the dance floor, people watching with delighted smiles, some waving towards us and throwing confetti and roses and rose petals. 

 

Hoya spun us around, making me smile as we continued through our dizziness, finally stopping as we landed on the floor our smiles endless as the laughter of the other guests fluttered through our ears. He pulled me up upon my feet, kissing me softly as everyone cheered. 

 

Everyone moved around us, dancing and singing in unison, some holding a glass of champagne or a glass of wine in their hands, their eyes hazy as the alcohol hit them. ‘Hoya I’m just going to go up to my room and quickly refreshen myself okay?’ I said with giggle slightly, he kissed my cheek gently, ‘Of course my love.’

 

I quickly exited the ballroom, smiling as I made my way up the staircases. Just as I looked up, I saw Riku’s room, the door shut tight. I walked over slowly, knocking on it softly as I spoke, ‘Riku? Are you there?’

 

No answer. I tried the door knob, finding that it was unlocked and slowly pushed the door open only to find the room empty. I walked in, looking around at his room feeling as if it was more emptier than usual, most of his possession were gone. 

 

I looked towards his desk to see a envelope upon it. I walked over slowly, only to see that it was addressed to me, my name written in neat, cursive writing. Riku’s writing. 

 

I picked up the envelope, opening it quickly and pulling out the pieces of parchment from within, reading it quickly:

 

Aria, 

 

I know that by the time you read this, that I will be long gone, and no longer in any of the worlds but above, and you will be married to the man you love, and who is not me. I know that recently the road has been bumpy between us, but to be honest, I think its best if I left you to continue your story without a trace of my existence. 

 

Soon you will be Queen and Guardian of the twelve realms, a beautiful and magnificent Queen who will rule with great spirit to watch over her kingdoms.  

 

You must be thinking why on earth I might be leaving, but I think you already know. I know why you chose him, and I agree with your decision, you did it for the realms and even for yourself maybe, but I know you did it for your Kingdoms mostly. 

 

I know that he will be able to take care of you, that he will be able to stand by your side as your King and husband and protect you from the dangers of the darkness, including me. 

 

Aria, please don’t shed a tear and please don’t mourn my absence. Know that I’ll always be here by your side in spirit and watch over you from afar, always protecting you and loving the woman I know can never be mine. 

But the woman I love is strong, and has the heart of a warrior who will fight through the darkest darkness and who will give up her life for the ones she loves, and you’ll move on from me. 

 

 This may not be the last time we meet again Aria, let’s just say instead of goodbye, let’s say see you soon. 

 

I love you so much Aria. And may God bless you dearly. 

Love your one and only, 

Riku

 

I looked away from the letter, tears falling from my eyes, splotching the words upon the paper. I crumpled to the ground, tears plummeting down like poisonous acid drops. I hit my head repeatedly as I sobbed aloud, holding the letter close to my chest as it crinkled in my grip. 

 

I felt someone place someone place their arms around me quietly, I looked up to Sora looking down at me in question, I held up the pieces of Riku’s letter as my body shook my sadness. Sora’s eyes ran across the pages, his eyes widening in shock, ‘Look what I’ve brought us to Sora … I driven my lover to death! He can’t be dead! He can’t-’

Sora grabbed me as I stumbled to my feet, struggling to keep my together as I continued to hit him with my fists, ‘Get off me! Get off-’

‘Aria.’ 

I looked up to see Sora’s eyes glazed with a mirror of tears, ‘Don’t …’

I gave a sob before embracing Sora entirely, clasping onto him with all my might, as he slowly brought me to the ground again. 

 ‘Aria?-’

I heard Kairi’s voice above me but felt Sora shake his head towards her, ‘Riku’s dead…’

Kairi gasped in horror, I heard a rustle of silk and felt Kairi surround her arms around me as I turned to look at her, her tears now falling down her cheeks.

 

Sora pulled us both into his embrace, all of our tears falling gently from our faces as we longed for our best friend to come back, knowing that their will always be the gap that could never replace the boy we knew as Riku.