Please

Love and Reality

Tao never imagined that one day, he'd be able to understand how murderers feel but there he was, standing behind the counter, glaring at the short tomboy who was happily chatting on the phone.

"Hey!", he yelled as soon as Amber hang up, "Why did you force me to come here if you were going to ignore me anyway?!".

Amber giggled (she never giggles, Tao thought surprised) and sat on top of the counter with a small jump.

"Relax, drama queen! I was on the phone for like, three seconds". Tao squinted his eyes in suspicion; why did she look so happy? He was having the worst day of his life and yet Amber seemed like she didn't even hear about his break up.

"Whatever", he finally sighed. He wasn't really able to care about anyone's happiness, not when the person he once loved had ruined his whole life.

"Okay, fine!", Ambler shouted and threw her hands in the air as if she was surrendering to the universe, "Tell me more about your break up, be even more miserable! Big sister is here to console you so go ahead, feel free to cry your heart out!"

"First of all, thanks", Tao snorted while rolling his eyes, "Second of all, someone like you wouldn't understand".

Amber's grin vanished as she leaned towards Tao. "Be a dear and explain what the that's supposed to mean, will ya?"

Tao felt the tension building up between them and he immediately regretted his words. What was he doing, picking fights with Amber? He cursed his brain for working the way it did (if it did, indeed, work) as he was trying to think of a reasonably good excuse that would get him out of this situation. Everyone knew that fighting with Amber was pointless; there was no way to beat her.

At that moment, his phone rang and Tao thanked the universe for its kind gesture. Pretending to not notice Amber's 'don't you dare pick up' deadly glare, he rushed out of the shop as if it was a matter of life and death. Only after he was several meters away from the shop he dared to actually look at his screen and his eyes opened wide.

He blinked several times to make sure he wasn't dreaming; that was Sehun's name. Sehun was calling him.

Without realizing it, Tao was holding his breath. What was he supposed to do? Pick up, let it ring or turn it off? Why was Sehun calling him? Was he trying to make up with him or explain himself? Was there a chance this whole nightmare had been a huge misunderstanding?

These thoughts filled his head in a matter of seconds and then suddenly, his finger slipped, almost as if it moved on its own will and pressed the green little button.

"S-Sehun...?"

"Tao! Tao, please listen to me, please, just listen!". The voice was high pitched and desperate, like a drowning man's scream but it was Sehun's.

"Baby, this whole situation, Luhan, everything is okay! We have to meet, I have to tell you everything and-...".

Tao couldn't let him finish. His brain was over the initial shock and the moment he heard the short boy's name, anger returned.

"What exactly are you going to explain, Sehun? How he got you drunk in order to you? Are you going to say that you're the ing victim?". He was no longer processing the words he was saying; they just kept coming out, one after another. "And then what? You think that makes up for everything?! No ing way! You are not the ing victim, Sehun, you can no longer play that card!".

"WE DIDN'T , OKAY?!". Sehun's shout had the desirable effect; it shut Tao up. But he couldn't stop his voice from trembling after that and Tao knew that he was trying his best to hold back his tears. "Luhan lied to me and I didn't remember a thing", he whispered. "And I love you, Tao. I love you so much. Please don't leave me".

Tao's vision started to get blurry and he couldn't understand why he was the one tearing up; maybe it was Sehun's desperate pleading, maybe it was the fact that he was certain Sehun was crying as well or then again, it could be a combination of the above. Whatever it was, it brought a sudden feeling of calmness and as the first tear was rolling down his cheek, Tao smiled.

"I love you too, Sehun-ah". Deep breath. "But that doesn't mean we can be together. Do you remember why you ran off to Luhan in the first place?".

"Tao", Sehun begged, "Stop".

"Do you remember all the horrible things I told you?"

"Tao, please".

"I keep hurting you, baby, over and over again. I always make the same mistakes because when it comes to you, when it comes to us, I'm completely useless. But here I am, after everything we've been through, still loving you. And because I love you-..."

"Tao, no", the small whisper was getting louder. "You promised, remember? You promised that we'd have each other's backs, you and me, Tao, it's us against the world, remember?!"

"We were kids, Sehun, high school students! We didn't know how hard the world can be! We had no idea what we were up against!".

"Tao, please". Sehun kept repeating that phrase, softly whispering his name between his sobbing as if he was praying.

"I'm sorry, Sehun-ah." Tao wiped his eyes and tried to say the next sentence as firmly as he could.

"I love you".

 And then, without waiting for Sehun's reply, he immediately hang up.

 

                                                                                           ________________

 

"Sehun...". For once in his life, Baekhyun had no idea what to say. He was just as shocked as Sehun and with a quick glance he knew Kyungsoo felt the same. It wasn't really over, was it?

"Sehun", he repeated in an effort to catch the boy's attention. "Get up. Come on", Baekhyun said firmly and after wrapping Sehun's arm around him, he forced him to stand up. Thankfully, Kyungsoo didn't need a special invitation to grab Sehun's waist in order to keep him up.

The tall, slender boy seemed lost. His eyes were staring at the swings, unable to focus on anything else and he looked like he had no control over his body, just like a zombie. Baekhyun didn't know what to do or how to act. Should he get angry and curse at Tao, hoping that Sehun would snap out of it and get angry as well? Or maybe it'd be best if he helped Sehun vent out and cry, help him release his emotions because anything, literally anything seemed like a better idea than leaving him in this zombie like state.

Once again, Kyungsoo helped him out by breaking the long silence. "Okay Sehun, it's time to go now. Are you hurt from your fall? Can you walk?"

His questions finally seemed to bring some life in his eyes.

"Walk?", he mumbled, obviously confused. "Walk where?".

"This guy's apartment", Kyungsoo replied and nodded towards Baekhyun. "You need to get some rest".

"I can rest at my own place". His reply made Baekhyun exchange a troubled look with Kyungsoo.

"Sehun", he begun saying, "I don't think that's a very good idea-..."

"I have an apartment, okay?!", Sehun suddenly yelled and pushed both of them away. "I don't need you to babysit me! I'll go home, take a shower and go to sleep".

"But...", Kyungsoo took a few steps towards Sehun while fidgeting with his sleeves, "What if Tao goes there?".

"That's what I'm counting on".

"Sehun-...".

"This is NOT over, okay?!". Oh yes, he was definitely awake now and the fire burning in his eyes made Baekhyun realize that any attempt to stop him would be futile. He was no longer helpless or confused, he clearly knew what he was after and that was Tao.

"Okay", Kyungsoo nodded and Baekhyun knew he was probably thinking the same thing.

"But", Baekhyun approached Sehun and stood next to Kyungsoo. "Let us at least walk you there", he said and stomped his foot on the ground to show his determination.

Sehun would do what he had to do but there was one thing Baekhyun couldn't allow; he couldn't leave him alone again.

Kyungsoo's sudden change of expression from worried to harsh made it clear that they wouldn't take "no" for an answer and Sehun heaved a sigh of defeat.

Baekhyun smiled, satisfied with his achievement and took out his phone in order to text Chanyeol as Kyungsoo was calling Jongin. He had the sudden urge to shout, not because things were getting better but because he felt the same adrenaline rush he had back when they were looking for Sehun, the same one he felt during their high school years. And then he finally realized; he never got excited because they were about to execute a plan or get in trouble.

He got excited because he knew that these idiots had his back just like he had theirs.

And nothing made him happier.

 

                                                                                             ____________________

 

"Are you happy now?". Luhan was holding onto his phone like he didn't trust Xiumin enough to let him touch it (which was pretty ironic since the ginger boy was still lying next to him on his bed).

"Me?", Xiumin laughed and pushed the blanket aside in order to get up. "I couldn't care less, to be honest. But you finally did something right. Let's hope it helped just a little bit with the mess you've created".

"The mess I've created? Oh, please", Luhan pouted. "These two fight all the time, my lie was just the tip of the iceberg".

"Well", Xiumin sighed while rolling his eyes, "You still ed up pretty bad. At least, take some responsibility".

However the pink haired boy wasn't paying attention to his words anymore; his eyes were fixated on Xiumin's hand which was about the turn the doorknob.

"Where are you going?". His round eyes narrowed as if he already knew the answer.

"I'm leaving, my job here is done", the ginger grinned.

"So-... So you were lying before?". Luhan swallowed hard and tried to sit on his bed but the pain made him groan.

"About what?", Xiumin asked, pretending to be an idiot. He had planned this whole thing the moment he saw Luhan lying on the corridor, all bloody and beaten up. He knew that eventually this time would come. But for some reason, he now wanted to delay it.

"A-... About liking me", Luhan mumbled and the way his cheeks blushed made Xiumin turn away. He couldn't do it while looking into those big, sparkly eyes, especially when he was sure they were going to tear up.

"Of course I lied, you idiot. We barely know each other and from what I do know, you're a pretty horrible person. How could I ever like you?".

Xiumin didn't wait for an answer. If he did, he'd have to face Luhan and that would ruin everything. He was certain that Luhan would be able to call his bluff with just one look and he couldn't possibly let that happen.

Then why did he feel so horrible as he was closing the door behind him, what was that unbearable burden sitting on his chest?

"", he whispered as he was placing his palm on his chest, feeling his heartbeat.

It doesn't make any sense, he kept thinking as he was walking back to his apartment and he was right. He simply couldn't understand why he felt that way. Sure, Luhan was handsome when his face wasn't swollen and beaten up but what about his personality? As far as Xiumin was concerned, that guy was a manipulative, selfish person who'd do whatever it took to get his way.

But didn't he do the exact same thing? No, Xiumin shook his head as if that would push the thought away, it's not the same thing, I didn't do it for me, I did it for Sehun and Tao.

And that thought created another question; why did he get involved to begin with? He wasn't close with either Sehun or Tao and if it wasn't for Chanyeol, forcing them to greet each other every time they met, they wouldn't even talk at all.

Xiumin, frustrated as he was, kept walking and messing up his hair, unable to admit the truth. Admitting it would only make things more complicated when lying to both himself and Luhan was much easier and definitely more convenient.

But the truth is the truth and no matter how much he hated it, deep inside Xiumin knew that the reason he asked for Luhan's address in the first place wasn't because he wanted to learn more about his plan or help Sehun and Tao but because he wanted to see him again.

 

                                                                                                   _______________

 

"Yeah, okay, I'll meet you there". Jongin spent a good five minutes staring at his phone after hanging up. If that was a prank, his boyfriend had a very twisted sense of humor.

But it didn't sound like a prank, not at all. Kyungsoo sounded serious but it couldn't possibly be true, right? Tao would never-...

" it", he mumbled and threw his textbook away. It wasn't the time to study; his friends needed him. As he was grabbing his coat a sudden question hit him hard and made him freeze in front of the door; what about Tao?

Everyone else agreed to meet at Sehun's apartment to keep him company so who was keeping Tao company? Jongin ruffled his hair in confusion; what was he supposed to do? Sehun was his childhood friend, he couldn't just leave him now. But Tao was more than just Sehun's boyfriend (ex or whatever), he was his friend as well.

No, he thought, I have to be by Sehun's side. And then, without wanting to, all the memories from the times Tao had helped him flashed in front of his eyes and before he knew it, he had made his decision.

"Yo, Chanyeol".

"Hey man, why are you calling me? Do you need a ride to Sehun's place?"

"No, I need you to cover for me".

"Cover...? What do you mean-...?"

Jongin took a deep breath, fearing Chanyeol's reaction. "I'm going to see Tao first".

The long silence that followed made Jongin sweat. Chanyeol's approval was the only thing he needed  for his plan to work.

"No", the deep voice replied. "I won't cover for you".

"Wha-..? Come on man, this is-...", Jongin begun protesting, ready to yell and fight if necessary but Chanyeol's hoarse laughter made him stop.

"I'm coming with you", he finally said. "Tao is my friend as well man, I care about him".

The dark skinned boy didn't reply; after a few seconds of dumbfounded silence a chuckle escaped his lips and he felt a mixture of relief and embarrassment taking over his body. He wasn't the only one thinking this way.

"I'll be at your place in five minutes, I'll borrow Baek's bike", Chanyeol nearly shouted before hanging up and Jongin had never felt so grateful towards another human being in his life.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: I'M ALIVE! Yes, yes, I know, this update took forever and I'll admit it's not one of my best but It's finally done!

Idk why but the sadness just keeps coming and as the author of this fanfic I am terribly sorry for those who read it for the fluff, I feel like I've let you all down, haha. I'm also terribly sorry to all the hardcore taohun shippers because lord knows, I've sank that ship again and again but never forget, taohun always prevails!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone want Tao to end up with Kris? Because their inevitable encounter is so close, I was wondering what were your thoughts on the matter