Tears

Love and Reality

Tao had drank enough to feel dizzy and comfortable around Kris but not enough to throw up or feel the urge to kiss the man and from a single glance, he knew Kris was at the same state. Without meaning to, he remembered all the times they tested their limits with alcohol when they were still students and how Kris would get immediately drunk and stupid.

"Why are you grinning?", the deep voice brought him back to reality. He hadn't realized that he was smiling.

"Nothing", he mumbled as the rest of his memories came back to him, all the times Kris had made him feel happy and loved. They once were inseparable; what they felt for each other was more than attraction, more than a simple crush. It was something special, or at least that's how Tao saw it.

And now, there they were, silently sipping their drinks, unable to look each other in the eye. It's funny what time does to you, Tao thought and finally understood what the saying "time is the best healer" meant. It was because of the years they had spent apart that they were now so awkward with each other.

"So", he started saying once he felt drunk enough, "How's Joonmyun?".

Kris rolled his eyes and sighed. "That's the first thing you want to ask me?"

"No, you're right, I'm sorry", Tao snorted. "Are you going to cheat on Amber as well? That's the million dollar question".

Kris didn't reply; he simply stared at Tao so intensely, he could practically hear him say "It's up to you". To hide his burning face, Tao decided to take another sip of his drink and maybe it was that very sip that made him too drunk; before realizing it, he had put his drink down and his lips were pressing against the other's, forcing him into a sloppy, messy kiss.

Tao expected to get pushed away, to be yelled at, any kind of angry reaction would be welcomed. But instead of pulling back, Kris leaned closer to him and Tao's body, even after all the time, begun to remember how they once perfectly matched their movements.

His hand had already landed on Kris's thigh, softly his jeans while the other's palm was cupped around Tao's chin, pulling him closer into a deeper, more passionate kiss. The moment Tao parted his lips, Kris, instead of moving his tongue, suddenly pushed him back.

Tao stared at him for a few minutes, unable to comprehend what had just happened and how this whole thing started. Kris must have been equally surprised because he didn't break the silence.

And then, with one deep breath they both said...

"I can't do this".

Tao blinked several times and was ready to speak again when...

"I think I'm in love with Amber", Kris mumbled, looking utterly surprised as if he had just realized it.

"Okay, you have a problem", Tao said, allowing every thought in his head to just flow out. "You said you loved me only after you cheated, I'm seeing a pattern here".

A chuckle escaped Kris's lips and suddenly, they were both laughing uncontrollably.

"What is this?", Tao asked, still laughing. "What are we doing?".

"Honestly?", Kris wiped his eyes, "I have no idea".

"So... You love Amber, huh?". That was the best phrase Tao's drunken mind could think of.

"Yeah", the tall man grinned like an idiot. "Looks like it. I mean-", his eyes narrowed as if he was trying to read an invisible script on Tao's forehead, "...-I could only think of her the whole time. That's love, right? When she's the only person on your mind".

"I-...". Tao made a long pause. He wasn't sure if that was a best definition for love but he knew for sure that he was in love with Sehun and that dork's face just wouldn't leave his mind. "I think so", he finally sighed. "Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate".

"So?", Kris asked and his eyes were suddenly filled with worry. "What do I do now? Should I lie-..."

"No", Tao nearly shouted. "No", he repeated, lowering his voice and looked right into Kris's eyes. "Trust me when I say that relationships cannot be built on lies. God knows how many times I've made that mistake. Just-...". He took a deep breath in an effort to collect his thoughts, "...-just be honest about things. Tell Amber everything that happened and how you felt".

"But... But what if she breaks up with me? I can't lose her Tao", his jaw clenched as if the thought of losing Amber alone was too unbearable, "I can't this up again".

Tao chuckled and ruffled his hair. "Kris, did you ever understand why or how you lost me?".

The tall man blinked several times in confusion. "Because I slept with Joonmyun, right? Because I cheated".

"No", Tao softly whispered and cupped his hand around Kris's cheek. "That wasn't what hurt me the most. You lost me because you didn't own up to your mistake the way you just did, you kept avoiding the issue, blaming that poor boy Joonmyun or my dad or anyone else except yourself. And that made think that you're selfish; so selfish that you could never be able love anyone other than yourself".

Tao realized he had never said that out loud before. He had pictured this scene several times but in his imagination he was yelling and crying. He never even dreamed that one day, he'd be able to say these words and remain perfectly calm.

Kris let out a faint sound that was something between a chuckle a sigh. His huge palm covered Tao's and as he lowered his hand he slowly leaned in. Tao could feel him breathing heavily on his lips when he decided to speak.

"I thought we weren't going to do that anymore", he grinned.

Kris smiled and gave him a peck on the lips anyway but it was different than before; it wasn't passionate or . It felt more innocent, almost pure.

"Huang Zitao", he said in his deep, hoarse voice. "You were my first love; allow me to at least kiss you goodbye".

Tao stood still for a few seconds until he finally burst into laughter and pushed Kris away. "You've always said the corniest things but this-... This is just-... Nothing can top that, seriously", he managed to mumble in between his laughter. "How does Amber put up with you?"

"I don't know, man", Kris smiled. "I'm hoping it's love".

"I swear to my BB cream, I'll punch you if you make me cringe one more time".

"Well, my biggest cliche is my love for cliches-... Ouch!", Kris rubbed the arm Tao had just punched with a huge grin.

"I warned you", the latter said with a smug expression and took another sip from his drink. "Now come on, cool guy, let's go!"

"Where?", Kris asked, unable to focus on Tao's face because of all the alcohol he had consumed.

"To your girlfriend", Tao laughed and forced the ridiculously tall man to stand up by pulling his hand.

Drunk Kris is still fun to watch, he thought and for some reason, he found himself feeling happy that there was one thing, even as small as that, that hadn't changed at all.

 

                                                                                               ________________

 

Baekhyun couldn't stop fidgeting until Kyungsoo kicked his foot.

"Stop moving", he mumbled, annoyed that his tea almost spilled on Sehun's couch because of that idiot.

However, Baekhyun decided to ignore him; still sitting next to him on the couch he kept bouncing on the soft pillows as if he was a little kid on a water mattress. He was too nervous and impatient; where the hell was Jongin and his stupid boyfriend?

Chanyeol did say he was going to borrow his bike in order to pick up Jongin so Baekhyun thought they'd be there in at least twenty minutes. But forty minutes had passed and he was running out of excuses to stay in Sehun's apartment.

"Baek, if you've finished your tea-...", Sehun started saying, walking out of the kitchen but the short blond couldn't let him finish.

"Actually, I'd like some orange juice-..."

"Are you ing with me?", Sehun growled, obviously irritated. "I know what you're doing", he said and pointed at the empty mugs on the coffee table, "You're trying to stay here in case Tao shows up even thought I already told you; I don't need a ing babysitter".

"Talk like that makes you seem paranoid, Sehunah", Baekhyun replied and after taking off his shoes, he thew his legs on Kyungsoo's lap and lied on his back. "Now where's that orange juice?", he asked while arranging the pillows to support his head. 

For a brief moment he wondered why Kyungsoo hadn't kicked the life out of him for using him as a mattress when he noticed that the pale boy was too preoccupied, texting someone. Please, let it be Jongin, he silently pleaded, hoping that these idiots were about to arrive.

"I don't have orange juice", Sehun sighed and leaned against the kitchen's door when he noticed the sparkle in Baekhyun's eyes. Oh , he thought, don't tell me-...

"Let's go buy some!", the blond shouted and threw his hands in the air. "Detective Owl here can stay in the apartment, right Soo?". Kyungsoo silently nodded, eyes still fixated on his phone's screen.

"I don't need orange juice", Sehun protested but Baekhyun was already putting his shoes back on; there was no stopping him.

"Oh, please! Every house needs orange juice, it's good for your health! I mean-...". Baekhyun grabbed Sehun's hand and forcibly pulled him out of the apartment while rumbling about the benefits of orange juice.

The last thing Kyungsoo heard before the apartment's front door closed was Sehun groaning and he couldn't hold back a faint smile. Baekhyun was really the best at controlling people and how did he know so much about orange juice anyways?

Kyungsoo shook his head to collect his thoughts. It wasn't the time to wonder about Baehyun's vast knowledge of useless information; he had to call his boyfriend.

"Hey", his heart skipped a beat when he heard Jongin's hoarse voice. He hadn't spoken to him all day.

"Hey, did you see Tao?". It wasn't the time for chit chat either; they had to clear this mess up.

"No, things got a bit complicated...", Jongin murmured. "Do you know Tao's coworker?"

"Amber?", Kyungsoo's brows furrowed in confusion, "What does she have to do with this?"

"Hey, how come you know her but I don't?", Jongin complained, feeling left out.

"Because that's my part, baby", Kyungsoo chuckled. "I know stuff about people you've never even heard of".

"That was terrifying". Jongin's hoarse laughter made Kyungsoo sigh as he could feel his heart melting; he wanted to keep on chatting with him because he knew that Jongin's intense studying would prevent them from having another carefree conversation for days but he only had a limited amount of time until Baekhyun, Sehun and their orange juice returned.

"So? What about her?"

"Okay, if you're not sitting down, I think you should".

"Just say it already!". Kyungsoo had to hurry up and he hated it, he hated their limited time so much.

"She's dating Kris".

"...No".

"Yes".

"Don't tell me-...", Kyungsoo's mind started working and plotting in the speed of light.

"Tao is with him. They went for drinks together".

"Where are you now?"

The doorbell rang and Kyungsoo's blood froze until he heard Chanyeol's voice from both his phone and the hallway.

"Open up 'Soo, what are you waiting for?!"

With a sigh of relief, he ran to the door and the first thing he felt once he opened it was his boyfriend's lips smacking against his own. For a second, he forgot eveyrthing; Kris, the break up, the orange juice, everything erased from his head as he was wrapping his arms around Jongin's neck, pulling him closer.

Just for a moment, there was nothing else. No studying, no dramas, no work, no worries, just the two of them, buried in each other arms. Their kiss seemed so long and short at the same time; when Chanyeol coughed to remind them his existence and Kyungsoo pulled back embarrassed, he felt that he had been kissing his boyfriend for centuries but it still wasn't enough.

"Hey, you finally decided to show up!". Baekhyun's shout made all them flinch in surprise and terror. The short man was running in the hallway, orange juice on hand and a grumpy Sehun's shirt on the other, looking both relieved and furious (because only Baekhyun was capable of combining fury with literally, any other emotion).

"Why are you standing here? Come on, move! Everyone inside!", he shouted and started pushing Chanyeol with all his strength.

"Hey, hey!", Sehun yelled as he was being pushed into his own apartment, "What are you doing here?! I told you, I don't need-... What?", he asked with a frown when he noticed that everyone had suddenly turned quiet and their eyes were fixated on the open door behind him.

"Um... What's going on?".

Sehun could recognize that high pitched voice anywhere; as he was slowly turning around, he could feel everyone's gazes focused on his back.

"T-Tao?".

It was definitely him. Maybe a drunk, sloppy version of him but Sehun was sure that the man in front of him with the bleached hair and the deep, dark circles was Tao.

The tension in the room kept building up as everyone was too dumbfounded to even breathe; Sehun couldn't see what the idiots behind him were doing and he certainly didn't care anymore. All he wanted was to grab the man in front of him and kiss him like he had never kissed him before.

"S-Sehun...", Tao stuttered while trying to grab the door in order to find his balance. "I-... I kissed Kris. But!", he yelled and took a small step towards Sehun, "I couldn't do it! I was thinking of you and that's love, right?". He spoke slowly, carefully picking his words but in end, he collapsed on the floor with a goofy smile. "I don't know what I'm saying", he mumbled and then dramatically pointed at Sehun. "It's YOUR fault!", he shouted and started laughing, "You made me fall in love with you and now I'm drunk so-...".

Tao didn't get the chance to complete his sentence. Sehun's hands moved incredibly fast, one grabbing Tao's shirt, forcing him to stand up and the other slamming the door behind him. Before Tao's drunken mind had a chance to understand what was going on, he was pinned against the wooden door and the tall man in front of him was kissing him; it was sloppy and messy, with teeth and tongues getting mixed up but Sehun could swear it was the best kiss he had ever experienced.

"What-...?", Tao managed to mumbled but instead of replying, Sehun slammed the boy's body against the door with all his strength.

"That's for the fight that caused all of this", he murmured before kissing Tao's plump lips again. The latter's hands were about to wrap around Sehun's waist when he found himself being slammed against the door once again.

"That's for breaking up with me", Sehun's voice was low but filled with intensity; anything Tao had to say was interrupted by yet another forceful kiss. When their lips parted, Sehun suddenly pulled away and took a small step backwards. A few seconds later, Tao realized he only did that to increase his punch's momentum.

"Ouch!", he whipered, hands covering his torn lip. Carefully his bottom lip, a strong, metallic taste filled his mouth and he knew he was bleeding. "What was that for?!".

Sehun grinned and wiped his eyes; when did his tears start falling? "That's for making me think I lost you".

It was now Tao's turn to step forward and after grabbing Sehun's head, he pulled him into a slow, sweet kiss. The latter parted his lips and he could taste the alcohol and blood in Tao's mouth. That made him wonder whether Tao could taste his bitter tears or not. He wanted to tell him that they were tears of joy and relief, not anger or sadness. He wanted to tell him that the days he had spent without him were worse than ing hell, he wanted to tell him that he loved him more than anything.

All these unsaid words could only leave his mouth in one way; hands softly combing through Tao's hair, he pulled him closer, eager to show him that he never wanted him to go away ever again.

And then, he heard clapping and whistling and he suddenly remembered that Tao and him weren't alone; in fact, there was a room filled with people that were cheering for them. He was ready to end their kiss embarrassed when Tao, despite his drunken state, managed to lift him up in the air like they were performing the final number from 'Dirty Dancing' and carry him to the couch where they both collapsed.

"Do you want me to punch you again, because I will!", Sehun shouted both ashamed and somewhat excited as Tao was wrapping his body around him, making him the little spoon on the couch.

"I don't care", Tao mumbled as he was burying his face in Sehun's neck, enjoying his scent.

"Well!", Baekhyun shouted, "I'm gonna make some coffee for this drunk idiot, Channie, baby, can you help me?".

"No, no, we should leave, right?", Jongin asked, ignoring Chanyeol's aggressive nodding.

"Yeah, leave already!", Sehun agreed, unable to escape Tao's grip.

"Sehun, you should have realized by now that we are annoying ers that will never leave you, not even if you ask us yourself", Baekhyun grinned and after grabbing Chanyeol's hand, they vanished behind the kitchen door.

Jongin gave Baekhyun's words some thought until he eventually shrugged and sat on the nearest chair, inviting Kyungsoo to sit beside him.

"Come on guys!", Sehun whimpered, looking specifically at Kyungsoo, hoping to reason with at least one person. However, the short boy sat on the floor next to his boyfriend and started looking through Tao's DVDs.

"Do you only have action movies here?", he asked, pretending not to notice Sehun's glare.

"Just give up already", Jongin added in an indifferent tone. "We're staying".

Sehun sighed, feeling utterly defeated. There was no way to get rid of these idiots.

And for some reason, that also made him incredibly happy.

With Tao sniffing his neck on one side and his friends bickering and laughing on the other, he finally felt complete.

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: This chapter was SO HARD to write, I wanted to properly express everyone's feelings and I kept writing and erasing, trying to make it feel right (I hope I succeeded) TT^TT

NOPE, WE'RE NOT DONE YET. We still have Xiuhan, Krisber and other upcoming stuff, I told you I had big plans for this fanfic, hehe~ I just hope you're not sick of reading it, I promise, IT WILL END EVENTUALLY (I hope ;_;)

Also, proofreading? What's that, haha Let's just say I wasn't really careful while writing, sorry for any mistakes TT^TT

Comments, Upvotes, Subscriptions are always greatly appreciated!