Random Call #1

Phone Calls

Ring ring.

Junhoe slightly stirred from his sleep.

Ring ring.

Junhoe continued to thrash all over the bed, annoyed at the resonating noise. He peeped at the digital clock on his bedside drawer, it was only 2:15 in the morning. What could it be at this hour? When he had cleared out his mind a little, he recognized the all too familiar ringtone of piano keys.

“Hello?” he said, clearly unhappy with the situation. A mix between a squeak and a peep made its way to Junhoe’s ears as a flash of lightning appeared from outside his bedroom window. “I, I, I can’t sleep,” the sound of thunder was followed by a sob from the girl, “I’m scared.”

Junhoe sat up on his bed and a table lamp. Mirae was afraid of the sound of thunder. He kept silent, he was thinking hard on what he could do to comfort her. Another streak of light and a grumbling sound came, a strangled scream and the apparent chattering of teeth snapped Junhoe out of his reverie.

“Hey, don’t cry. Just focus on the sound of my voice,” his tone came out as commanding and he cursed himself for that. He could still hear Mirae’s faint sobs. He didn’t know what to do, he was racking through his brain for something, anything.

Some say it ain't over till it's over

But I guess it's really over now

There's something I gotta say before I let you go

Listen...

 

He softly sang as a last resort to try to calm her down. He didn’t know if it was working but he continued anyway.

 

Baby!

Listen to your heart, won't let you down

Cause you should be my Lady!

Now that we're apart love will show how

Life carries on...

I've never felt so strong

Life can lead us to a happiness never ending

If we just know that we belong to each other

Never worry, grow as we go

See you in your wedding dress

I can see you in your wedding dress

I see you walking down in your wedding dress

I can see you in your wedding dress

 

As Junhoe finished off the song, the sound of the rain and each other’s breathing were the only things you could hear. It was a very comforting silence. Junhoe guessed he was successful in calming Mirae down as he could her breathing even out.

 

“Thank you,” she managed to say, “and, I’m sorry.” Junhoe didn’t exactly know what she was sorry for, the fact that she called him at such an inconvenient hour or making him sing. He once told her he didn’t like performing for people because things become so bothersome for him. He liked to keep his talents to himself, and she respected that.

 

“Your voice is really beautiful though,” Junhoe could literally hear her smile from the other line.

 

“Thanks. I guess,” Junhoe usually found compliments bothersome but he felt happy at Mirae’s words and couldn’t suppress the wide grin growing on his face.

 

The two continued to lie in their beds, enjoying the silence between them. Junhoe began humming a soft tune, and soon he heard the light breathing of the girl. He smiled softly, “Good night, Rae, and make sure to dream of me.”