Random Call #2

Phone Calls

Call 017

School was over for the day, but I had to stay behind. There were too many school stuff to finish. That’s the reason why I’m here alone, stuck in the school’s library with only multiple stacks of books, piles of paper, and cups of coffee to accompany me.

“Working hard, are we?” the school guard said. He was an old, nice man; he often found me in nights like this and would initiate small talk. “Oh, harabeoji. Sorry for causing you all the trouble,” I stood and bowed down at him respectfully. “It’s okay. It’s nice to see you youngsters studying so hard,” he heartily laughed, “Well, I’ll be going now. Make sure to lock the door before you go,” I bowed to him once again.

Ring ring.

Sigh. June’s been trying to reach me for the past hour. I’ve been able to dodge at least 19 of his calls now, but he’s still not giving up.

Ring ring.

He must be really worried. I readied myself and picked up the phone, “WHAT THE HELL, MIRAE?!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I’VE CALLED? WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? WHAT THE HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU?” Sigh. I knew he’d be upset, but not this much.

“I’m at the library, had to stay to finish schoolwork. You know I can’t study well at home,” I tried to explain. I heard him release a frustrated sigh; he didn’t say anything after that. He seemed to want to say something else so I kept quiet and waited.

“You could have at least texted me.”

“I’m sorry,” I really was. I didn’t mean to worry him.

He nervously laughed, “You got me so worried. I was freaking out, I thought…”

I felt horrible, “I’m really sorry, Junhoe.”

“It’s okay,” he didn’t sound okay though, “It’s getting a little dark out, don’t you think you should head home now?”

“Okay,” I started packing my things.

“Text me when you get home. Get some rest, Rae,” he sounded really tired. “Yeah. You, too,” he ended the call then.

I looked at my phone’s screen, completely sympathetic.

“I’m so sorry, Junhoe. I didn’t want you to go through that again.”