Yong Hwa as a friend.

True Love

 

“WHAT! HE TOLD YOU HE LOVES YOU?!”, Hyoyeon squealed.

“Eonni!”, Joo Hyun defensively said, ‘He doesn’t love me! He only said he likes me!”

“Yah! For me, it’s just the same.”

“No, it’s not. Like and love mean differently.”

“Okay, fine Ms. Know-it-all!”, Hyoyeon rolled her eyes. “So, what did you say?”

(flashback)

“Just because you have cancer doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to be liked.”, Yong Hwa reasoned out. “You don’t have to like me back. Just don’t push me away, please?”

She then stood up and looked at him. “How can I know if you’re feelings are sincere or is just out of pity?”

“I’ll prove it to you.”

(end of flashback)

“that’s what happened.”, Joo Hyun said to Hyoyeon. She noticed that tears were starting to fall from Hyoyeon’s eyes. “eonni?, you’re crying?”

Hyoyeon nodded and said, “I find it romantic…”

“Romantic? What’s romantic with that?”, Joo Hyun asked while confusion was seen from her face.

“One, he even knows how many days since he had met you. Two, he doesn’t want you to push him away. Three, he’s willing to prove to you that he’s feelings are sincere and lastly, he likes you.”, she then explained. “The good thing about that is his liking for you may eventually lead to loving you. Now I’m jealous.”

“But eonni, like may lead to nothing at all. He has a lot of years ahead of him.”

“Yah! Joo Hyun-ah. I know that you’re optimistic girl but hearing you saying that makes me truly disappointed. I thought you wanted to live as happily as possible. How can that happen if you’re the one who is making it difficult and sad for you.”, Hyoyeon annoyingly said to her. “From now on, don’t ever say those things. Give Yong Hwa a chance or else you might regret it.”

                Hyoyeon then stood up, wiped her tears and went straight to her room. Joo Hyun felt guilty and sorry for saying those things. She realized that Hyoyeon was right. She’s killing herself even though she’s still alive. She then remembered the trip she had. She truly felt that she was alive. Yong Hwa helped her feel alive.

                After having a self realization, she then remembered what Hyoyeon said earlier. The conversation she and Yong Hwa had was romantic. She was a writer and her definition of romantic was different compared to Hyoyeon’s.

                Maybe the reason why my books don’t match the taste of teens and adults is because I give them a story in which I think is romantic but for them is not. Even with just a simple conversation me and Yong Hwa had, Hyoyeon eonni started to tear up.

                She then went straight to her room and started typing what she and Yong Hwa had talked about.  The protagonists’ names were Nana and Yoon Sung. She also listed the things she wants to do. Brilliant.

***

“Hyung, what do you want?”, Jong Hyun asked Yong Hwa who was sat comfortably in his couch.

“Just give me mango juice.”, he said as he closed his eyes.

“Uh, Hyung! I don’t have that. Water?”

“DUDE! Why ask me if you don’t have anything to offer?!”, he opened his eyes and glared at Jong Hyun.

Jong Hyun placed the water on the table, “Sorry. So, why are you here? Don’t tell me you have a girl problem..”

Yong Hwa didn’t answer.

Jong Hyun’s eyes widened and sat at the couch across Yong Hwa’s. “You already have a girl?! Congratulations! Who?”

Yong Hwa didn’t respond..

“Celebrity? Ah. HYUNG! You’re killing me! Who?”, Jong Hyun outburst.

“Joo Hyun.”, Yong Hwa answered.

“Who the hell is that?”

“Yah!”, Yong Hwa glared again to Jong Hyun. “You danced with her and you don’t even know her name?!”

“Hyung, that’s normal. I do it every time.”, Jong Hyun smirked. “But seriously, I danced with a lot of people so who is who?”

“The girl with me when I went to the club.”

“HER?! That’s the girl you liked.”, Jong Hyun said out loud and sounding very surprised. “Darn! I like her too.”

“She’s mine! Don’t you dare.”, Yong Hwa said to Jong Hyun as he pointed his fingers to him.

“Fine, you can have her. I like her but she’s the type of girl for long term relationships. I’m still enjoying being single.”

***

“Do you really have to go?”, Joo Hyun asked Hyoyeon who was packing her stuff.

“Yeah, Joo Hyun. This is like a major opportunity for my studio and my crew. My business can expand.”, she said as she placed her clothes in her luggage.

“but eonni, the workshop is just here in Seoul. Why do you have to stay to stay to the apartment provided by the company?”, she asked as she removes the Hyoyeon’s clothes in the luggage.

Hyoyeon saw what Joo Hyun was doing, “YAH! Joo Hyun-ah, you’re making it difficult for me. It’s just two weeks of workshop training. I’ll be back. I’ll call you. I swear.”

***

                Joo Hyun was now all alone in their apartment. Hyoyeon wanted to call Joo Hyun’s mom but she asked not to. Her first chemotherapy is soon to come and she was planning to have some fun with Hyoyeon but her friend was truly busy.

                What to do.

                She was feeling bored and hungry. Because Hyoyeon was not around and her loneliness got her, she even forgot to eat dinner. She wanted to cook but felt lazy to do so.

                I want to eat ddukbokki.

                She wanted to eat out but she felt a need of a companion. She then dialed Yong Hwa’s number.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yong Hwa-shii. Annyeonghaseyo. This is Joo Hyun.”

“Joo Hyun-ah. What’s up?”

“Nothing much. Uhm. I was just wondering if you’re free tonight?”

                Yong Hwa was busy at the time Joo Hyun called. He was at the recording studio with Min Hyuk, his former bandmate, because he is the producer of Min Hyuk’s first album. He wanted to say “No” but…

“Not really. Why?”

“Do you want to eat dinner with me?”

Yong Hwa felt overwhelmed hearing Joo Hyun asked that. Although he doesn’t want to assume anything but at that time he was really happy. Joo Hyun wasn’t pushing him away at all.

He gladly said, “Sure. I’ll pick you up.”

“No need. I’m the one who asked so I’ll just drop by wherever you are. So, where are you?”

“I’m at the recording studio in Gangnam. The address is *****.”

“See you.”

                Joo Hyun hanged up.

Yong Hwa then turns on his mic and said, “Guys, that’s all for tonight. Same time tomorrow.”
                His colleagues were puzzled. Yong Hwa usually is the type of guy to continue working even though it was late at night or early in the morning. He’s a perfectionist (blood type A), but surely today was different.

***

“What?! You just want to eat ddukbokki?!”, Yong Hwa said to Joo Hyun as his one eye brow raised.

“Yeah. I’m craving for one. Hyoyeon eonni told me that there’s a great ddukbokki restaurant in Sin Dang Dong. I hope it’s still open.”, she said as she turned the steering wheel with her nose flaring.

“Wow. Your nose is flaring. Due to concentration huh?”

She smile and nodded.

***

“Wow. This is my first time eating ddukbokki with ramyeum. It looks so delicious!”, Joo Hyun happily said with her hands holding each other.

                Even though it wasn’t Italian or Japanese food, Yong Hwa was really happy.

***

“Ahh~! I’m so full.”, Joo Hyun said as she leaned back while touching her tummy.

Yong Hwa drank water and said, “When will be your chemotherapy?”

“Hmm. This Sunday. Why?”

“Nothing. I’m just curious.”

                Silence was filled between them.

“Yong Hwa-shii, I want to thank you because you’re a good friend.”

“You don’t have to thank me. I like being close to you.”

Joo Hyun teasingly said to him, “Oh~~ stop it! You’re making me blush.”

And both of them laughed.

“by the way”, Yong Hwa said, “Next Friday there is a party celebrating the Seoul Fashion Week. I was wondering if you want to be my date.”

“Your date? There will be a bunch of celebrities there, right?”, Joo Hyun said.

“Yeah. Just a friendly date. Don’t worry. C’mon! It’ll be fun.”

                Joo Hyun wasn’t really into gatherings but she then thought that it will be the perfect opportunity to find someone.

“Sure! I would love to.”, she answered while giving him a gorgeous smile.

“Great!”

***

                Joo Hyun was laying in the hospital bed. She will be confined for a few days because of her chemotherapy session.

“Omma.. I’m scared.”, Joo Hyun said to her mom.

Joo Hyun’s mom held her hand, “Don’t be scared. Omma is here. Just don’t forget that I’m waiting so you have to wake up as soon as possible. Understand?”

Joo Hyun nodded.

                Dr. Tiffany, along with 2 nurses, entered the room and greeted them. Mrs. Seo was left all alone inside the room.

***

After a few hours, Joo Hyun was brought back to her room.

“Is she alright?”, her mother asked Tiffany.

“Everything is fine. She’ll be up later. No need to worry Mrs. Seo.”

“Thank You.”

***

                The next day, Joo Hyun was feeling good. Her energy level was as if she didn’t even undergone chemo.

“Joo Hyun-ah, what are you doing? You should just rest.”, her mom said.

“I’ll just finish reading the reviews about my book. Don’t worry mom. I’ll be fine.”

“But…” her mom stopped when she heard someone knocking. “Come in”

                The door opened and it was Yong Hwa.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Ms. Seo.”, he greeted her mom happily.

“Oh. Jung Yong Hwa-shii. Annyeonghaseyo. Come here and sit down.”, she warmly greeted him back.

He entered the room and he was holding a bouquet of white roses. “Hi Joo Hyun-ah. This is for you.”

She gladly accepts the flowers. “Thank you!”

“I was just dropping by. I’ll be shooting a CF later and the location is close to the hospital.”

“That’s nice of you, Yong Hwa-shii.”, Mrs. Seo said. “You two seem close. Do you like my Joo Hyun?”

Joo Hyun was stunned hearing her mother say that. “Omma! You’re making him uncomfortable.”

But Yong Hwa protested, “Not at all! As a matter of fact I do like your daughter, Mrs. Seo. She’s fun to be with.”

Mrs. Seo smiled and said, “You can just call me mom. Whoever loves my daughter is like my own child too.”

                The three of them chatted for a couple of hours. Joo Hyun noticed that her mom is truly fond of Yong Hwa. She’s happy that Yong Hwa is making her mom smile.

“Wow. Time runs by so fast. I must go. My manager is waiting downstairs.”
“You go ahead Yong Hwa. We don’t want you to be late. Thank you for visiting Joo Hyun.”, Mrs. Seo said.

“I’ll see you on Friday, Joo Hyun-ah!”

“See you. Thank you and take care.”

                The door closed and Mrs. Seo smiled at Joo Hyun.  “Ohh. Looks like my baby has a date.”

***

                Yong Hwa picked Joo Hyun up at her apartment. She looked stunning with her hair loosened up and her long, edgy gown. Yong Hwa looked very handsome with his tux.

"I'm so glad you're coming with me to the party. There may be a lot of celebrities but I know you're the prettiest.", he glanced at Joo Hyun and winked. 
"My goodness, Yong Hwa. Again, you're making me blush.", she said and gave a naughty laughter. 
"I'm curious. Who is the celebrity you're looking forward to see?", he asked. "Is it me?", he grinned.
She laughed, "Are you even a celebrity? You're always with me."
"Yah Joo Hyun-ah. I'm a Hallyu star." 
"I know.", she said and giggled.
He smiled too. "But seriously, Joo Hyun-ah... Who do you want to see?"
Without even thinking twice she answered, "Cho Kyuhyun."
"Kyuhyun? He's your celebrity crush?", he asked.
"No. He was my ex-boyfriend."
The traffic signal turned red and he immediately stepped on the brakes. He looked at Joo Hyun, "Kyuhyun was your ex-boyfriend?!"
"Please don't take it the wrong way. I just want closure."
"Did you just say Yes to me just because you want to see him?", he asked. His eyes looked disappointed.
"Yes and No. Yes because I just want to talk to him to have everything linking to us, end. No because I want to spend some time with you and wanna see your world."
He felt relieved hearing Joo Hyun's answer. He continued to drive. "Are you aware that I'm friends with him?"
"No."
"Well, can you atleast tell me your love story?"
She wanted to be honest with him so she shared her story."Kyuhyun was my first love. We started dating when we were just 16 yrs old. My parents had always thought it was just puppy love and it wouldn't last long but they were wrong. It lasted for four years. He was the one who first held my hand, my first hug, my first date, my first dance and my first kiss. Unfortunately, he was the one who ended our relationship. The reason he told me was just that, he got tired of me. After a couple of months, he was seen everywhere due to his rising popularity as a singer. I then thought that maybe he broke up with me was because of his singing career. I was still in denial since saying that "he just got tired" was too painful to accept. A year has passed and it was in the news that he was dating the president's daughter and now, they're even married. I just wanna know, why.. It won't be that awkward now since we've both moved on."
Yong Hwa was silent for a couple of minutes until he finally spoke. "Thank you, Kyuhyun.", he said.
"Yah~. What’s there to thank for.”
He grinned and said, "If that didn't happen, then you wouldn't be beside me right now."
Both of them laughed.
"You're good in ruining the mood. You suddenly say corny lines."
"I just like seeing you laugh."
***
Joo Hyun went inside the party hall while Yong Hwa walked through the red carpet. He offered her that she should walked with him but she refused. She doesn't want the media to start a scandal and she doesn't want people to ask who she is and why is she with Yong Hwa.
There were a lot of familiar faces in the party. She felt out of place since she knows them but they don't know her. She got herself a drink and stayed at a corner while waiting for Yong Hwa when..
"Are you a model?", he asked.
Joo Hyun looked and tried her best not to be starstrucked. She smiled and said, "No. I'm not."
"That's strange. You look like a model. I'm Song Joong Ki by the way and you are?", he reached out his hand and winked. 
"I'm....."
Yong Hwa came and interupted them. "Joong Ki-ah, what are you doing?" 
"I just wanna chat with Miss..?"
"Seo Joo Hyun"
"Can we take a picture together? I'll just post it on twitter."
"Yah Song Joong Ki! You're not allowed. She's my date.
Joong Ki kept on making Yong Hwa annoyed. He then left the two.
"Joo Hyun-ah.. Looks like you're having fun."
"Who wouldn't have fun?! Song Joong Ki just noticed me!"
Yong Hwa was awkwardly pouting and started acting like a child. People were starting to stare and Joo Hyun felt embarrassed. 
"Yah~! Stop. You're still my number one Hallyu star!" she said while using her aegyo to stop him.
He stopped and said, "I knew you'll say that."
***
The night was young and everyone was having fun. Joo Hyun was enjoying every moment of it. The last time she had talked with a lot of people was during their high school election. She never imagined that she would talk to Won Bin. Yong Hwa was happy seeing his friends like Joo Hyun. He then remembered the other purpose of Joo Hyun coming to this party. 
He held her hand and whispered to her, "Go find Kyuhyun."

 

Sorry if I hadn't updated in a while. I was just busy with a lot of things. But probably I'll update a lot since I downloaded a new app to my phone. :> i can now write anywhere, anytime. yey!