One by One

True Love

 

Joo Hyun returned to Seoul after her one week vacation. She totally felt like a new person. Although she’s still sick, she viewed her life in a different way. She wants to make the most out of it.

                She entered their apartment and saw Hyoyeon sitting on the couch.

“Hyoyeon oenni! Don’t you have work?”, she asked while pulling her luggage to the living room.

Hyoyeon didn’t answer.

“Oenni?”, she placed her luggage near the lampshade and sat beside Hyoyeon. “Is there something wrong?”

Hyoyeon looked at her and tears were falling. “Joo Hyun-ah! Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Tell you what?”, she still asked although she felt that it has something to do with her cancer.

“This.”, Hyoyeon raised a paper. It was the paper containing medications, treatments and chemotherapy that Joo Hyun has to do.

Joo Hyun’s eyes widened. “Where did you get that?”

Hyoyeon didn’t answer and immediately hugged Joo Hyun. She continued crying without saying a word. Joo Hyun started to cry with her.

They hugged for a few minutes until Hyoyeon pulled away.

“Have you visited another doctor? Just for a second opinion?”

“No. I haven’t.”, tears were still falling to her cheeks. “I don’t want to hear it twice.”

“Joo Hyun-ah. You should have told me. Why did you even went to Jeju-do? You should have—“

                Joo Hyun cuts Hyoyeon’s words.

“Oenni. I found the cure in Jeju-do. I started to do things I wasn’t able to do. I’m living oenni.”

Hyoyeon can’t understand what Joo Hyun was saying. “What do you mean?”

“Oenni”, tears were continuously flowing, “I’m already in stage 4. I’ve only got a few months.”

“Please don’t say that”, Hyoyeon said as she held both Joo Hyun’s shoulders. “We’re gonna grow old together. You’ll be my maid of honor! You’ll be the Godparents of my children! We even promised that we’ll travel the world together with our families!”, she cried as she placed her head on Joo Hyun’s shoulders.

Joo Hyun hugged her. “Sorry Oenni. Maybe it really is true that promises are meant to be broken.”

                I’m lucky I have Hyoyeon oenni as my best friend. I’ve been a part of another person’s life.

“When will you tell your parents?”

“I’ll tell them when I see them.”

“They have to know Joo Hyun-ah. They have to.”

“I know oenni but I can’t afford to see them cry too.”

                It was a quiet night. Although Hyoyeon was already in her room, Joo Hyun can still hear the sobs from the other side of her room. I made Hyoyeon oenni cry. She looked outside her window and saw that it was new moon. Complete darkness can describe the sky but Joo Hyun wasn’t planning on having darkness in her life.

                Days have passed and she hasn’t written anything yet. She wants her novel to have a very meaningful story. She wants to give life to it. The life that she believes she is supposed to live.

                She was staring blankly infront of her laptop when she heard her handyphone vibrating. She looked at it and saw an unknown number. Although feeling hesitant on answering it, she still did.

“Yoboseyo”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Joo Hyun-ah”, a man with a deep voice said.

“Who’s this?”

“It’s me. Yong Hwa.”

“Oh! Annyeonghaseyo, Yong Hwa-shii.”

“Hey. I was just wondering if you’re free tonight?”

She gulped and said, “Yeah. I’m free. Where are we going?”

“Clubbing. It’s alright with you, right?”

                Oh yeah. One of the things I’ve never tried is clubbing.

“Yeah. Sure. Where will we meet?”

“I can just pick you up, if you want.”

Pick me up? Ottuke? “Uhm. You can drop by in my apartment.”

“Sure. Your address?”

                She hanged up the call and stood up. She’s going clubbing with Yong Hwa. It will be her first time and she doesn’t know what to do, what she should wear and how would she act.

                She ran to her closet and looked for clothes she think fits for clubbing. After a few minutes, all her clothes were all over the place. Luckily, Hyoyeon came in.

“Joo Hyun-ah! Why are your clothes scattered?!”, she said as she picks up some clothes on the floor.”

Joo Hyun looking all confused and messed up sat at her bed and said, “I don’t know what to wear?!”

“For what?”

“Clubbing.”

CLUBBING?! You’re gonna go clubbing?! All alone?”

“I’m going with a friend.”

“Who?”

“Jung Yong Hwa.”

Hyoyeon sat beside Joo Hyun while she’s still holding Joo Hyun’s clothes. “Jung Yong Hwa? He sounds familiar. Can I come?”

Joo Hyun gave her a quick hug. “Komawoyo Oenni! Can you help me prepare.”

“Sure.”

                Joo Hyun a black mini dress. Although she is feeling a bit uncomfortable, she has to blend in.

                While waiting, Hyoyeon  and Joo Hyun were watching TV.

“Joo Hyun-ah, who are we waiting for? Who’s this friend of yours?”

“Uh. He’s a guy I met at dad’s party. We became friends.”

Hyoyeon quickly turned her head to Joo Hyun. Her eyes were wide open.

“A GUY?! You’ve never mentioned a guy you met at the party.”

“I wasn’t really talking to anyone at that time. That’s when I knew I had cancer…”

                And there was silence.

                Suddenly, Joo Hyun’s handy phone rang.

“Yoboseyo.”

---

“Joo Hyun-ah!”, he waved at her. She felt like he was shining even though it was already dark.

“Yong Hwa-shii, Hi!”, she said as she smiled while waving at him.

They gave a quick bow to one another.

“Yong Hwa-shii, this is my bestfriend, Hyoyeon oenni. You’re the same age as hers.”

“Annyeonghaseyo Hyoyeon-shii.”

                On the other hand, Hyoyeon didn’t respond but she looked very surprised.

“Let’s go.”, he opened the driver’s seat and went inside.

Hyoyeon crossed her arm to Joo Hyun’s and said, “Is that the celebrity Jung Yong Hwa?”

“Yes, oenni. We happen to become friends. Now, let’s talk about this later.”, she then went to the passenger’s seat while Hyoyeon sits at the back.

“Joo Hyun-ah, How have you been?”, he asked as he was driving.

“I’m good. You?”

“Exhausted. I’ve been shooting scenes everyday. Good thing tonight I’m free.”, he looked at her and smiled.

“You to look like a couple.”, Hyoyeon unintentionally said it out loud. She then covered with her eyes wide open. Joo Hyun turned her head towards Hyoyeon.

“Oenni!”, Joo Hyun exclaimed.

Yong Hwa looked at the rear mirror and smiled, “Really? We look like a couple? Komawo!”

Hyoyeon smiled at Yong Hwa while Joo Hyun cheeks became so red. 

“Aigoo~.”

***

“OMO. We’re going to Club ****? It’s so hard to get in there. It’s full of celebrities.”, Hyoyeon said to Yong Hwa.

Yong Hwa grinned and placed his hand on Joo Hyun’s shoulders, “Well, since this is Joo Hyun’s first time in entering a club, I want her to be treated like a VIP.”

And then again, Joo Hyun blushed. Why am I even blushing.

                When the bouncer immediately saw them, he opened the doors and guides them to the VIP area. Joo Hyun saw a large crowd in the dance floor, a DJ on stage and people having shots at the bar.

“Wow. It’s extremely noisy.”, Joo Hyun told Hyoyeon out loud.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

***

Hyoyeon was having a blast. She’s already dancing with some cute guy while Joo Hyun and Yong Hwa just watched her. They weren’t talking either.

“Don’t you wanna dance? I thought you wanna experiencing clubbing.”, he told her.

“Well, I’m at a club right now. I consider this clubbing.”, she said as she smiled to him.

He smiled too. Interesting girl.

“Hyung!”, a tall, goodlooking guy approached Yong Hwa.

“Jong Hyun-ah! It’s good to see you, bro!”

“Good to see you too.”, he pat Yong Hwa’s shoulder and then looked at Joo Hyun, “ Your girlfriend?”

Yong Hwa looked at her and faced again Jong Hyun, “She’s my friend. Seo Joo Hyun.”

                He introduced the two together.

Jong Hyun quickly offered her a handshake and she quickly responded.

“Hyung, can I ask her for a dance?”, Jong Hyun whispered to Yong Hwa.

Yonghwa didn’t smile but Joo Hyun is not his, “Go ask her.”

Jong Hyun asked Joo Hyun to dance with him. She sees that nothing is wrong with it, so she said Yes. Now, Yong Hwa is all alone in the table watching the two dancing.

***

The two returned to the VIP area, laughing together. On the other hand, Yong Hwa’s facial expression wasn’t looking good.

“Yong Hwa-shii, are you alright?”, she sat beside him looking so worried.

He gave a fake smile, “I’m fine. It’s just that it’s getting boring.”

Jong Hyun laughed and sat beside Joo Hyun. “Hyung, you’re weird. How can you say your own club is boring!”

“This club is yours?!”

Yong Hwa just nodded.

“That’s so cool!”, she said sounding very amazed. “You’re a guy with an ability…”

Of course I am. In just a blink of an eye, Yong Hwa looked so satisfied and happy.

***

It’s already 2:15 am yet the club is still alive. Joo Hyun was feeling the opposite. She was already tired. Yong Hwa noticed it and offered her a ride home. Hyoyeon is still enjoying and she told them to just go together.

“You had fun, right?”, Yong Hwa asked her while they’re walking to the parking lot.

“Yeah. It was a very new experience for me. But I don’t think there would be a second time.”, she answered.

“But why? My club is the best in Seoul! You’re lucky you got in.”

“Yeah right.”, she laughed when she felt pain in her abdomen. It was like being stab by a knife.

“ahhh”, she touched it and could really feel it was getting worst.

“What’s wrong?”, Yong Hwa held her. “Did you eat something bad?”

“No…”, she said with a lot of struggling. The pain she felt was getting deeper. She began to palpitate.

Yong Hwa immediately carried her. He placed her on the passenger seat and buckled up her seatbelt. He ran towards the other side and immediately started the engine.

 

---to be continued. 

Thank You for Subscribing!