telling the truth...

True Love

 

Yong Hwa rushed Joo Hyun to the ER. The nurses quickly assisted them.

“How long has she been like this?”, the nurse asked as she took her vital signs.

“About 20 minutes.”,Yong Hwa worriedly answered.

“Name?”

“Seo Joo Hyun”

The nurse glanced at the other nurse. She quickly understood what it meant.(which is check if someone with a name of Seo Joo Hyun has  a record in the hospital.)

***

30 minutes have passed and Yong Hwa was seated at a corner with his tie loosened up. He felt so worried and somewhat responsible on what’s happening to Joo Hyun. He decided to look into her bag and call her parents.

***

Joo Hyun was feeling weak but better compared earlier. She can hear her mom’s voice. Am I at home? She opened her eyes and saw her dad hugging his mom, who’s crying.

“Joo Hyun-ah.”, Yong Hwa saw her eyes open and he immediately came at her bedside.

Her parents stood up and stayed beside her bedside too. Her mom held her hand and continued crying. She started crying too.

“I’m sorry.”

Yong Hwa left the room to give the family some time to talk.

“Joo Hyun-ah, you should just stay here to receive the proper medication.”

But she disagreed, “But mom, i don’t want to be stuck in the hospital.”

Then, Dr. Tiffany came in.

“Annyeonghaseyo.”, Dr. Tiffany said as she greeted Joo Hyun and her parents.

“Doctor, Can Joo Hyun stay here for a while?”

“If she wants to but I believe that she should be having a breath of fresh air. Joo Hyun and I have talked about this before. She should come every chemotherapy session and checkups.”

“See, mom.”, Joo Hyun said to her mom.

“But what if this happens again?”

“She would likely be experiencing abdominal pains and I have prescribed a medication for it.”, she looked at Joo Hyun and said, “Just don’t forget to drink you medicines.”

Her dad finally spoke and asked, “This can still be cured, right?.”

It was a question that Dr. Tiffany hates answering. She hates it because it can either give relief to the patient and her family or it can make them burst into tears. But a doctor has to give them a truthful answer. “We can do surgery but it will only relieve the symptoms. The cancer has very much spread. I’ll schedule the procedure after her first round of chemo.”

Joo Hyun’s mom started to cry. Her dad held his wife’s shoulders. 

***

Joo Hyun was discharged from the hospital. Her parents insisted that Joo Hyun should stay with them but she doesn’t want to. They’ve already agreed that her mom will always accompany her on her scheduled chemotherapies and checkups. They’ve also agreed to let her work but once something bad happens, her parents will not hesitate to hand over her resignation.

***

“Joo Hyun-ah!”, Hyoyeon ran and hugged her as soon as she sees her. “I’m sorry if eonni wasn’t there to help you.”

“It’s alright. Yong Hwa was there. He helped me reach the hospital.”

Hyoyeon prepared a meal for them. “Eat a lot. I’ve cooked all of this for you.”

“I’ll eat it well.”, and Joo Hyun starts to dig in.

“Joo Hyun-ah. I heard that you’re parents already knew?”

“Yup. It’s a good thing they already know. But I feel I’m a burden to them.”

“Yah! Don’t say that. You’re family is really strong. You don’t have to worry.”

“I hope so.”

“Looks like auntie’s going to call every hour.”, Hyoyeon said as she took a bite to the kimbap.

“Looks like it.”, Joo Hyun answered as she gave a smile on her face.

They kept on eating until Hyoyeon asked if Yong Hwa already knows.

Come to think of it, Yong Hwa only said “Joo Hyun-ah” when he saw her open her eyes. He even left without saying goodbye.

“Maybe He knows it already.”, Joo Hyun said.

***

Yong Hwa has no schedule today and he has no plans on leaving his apartment. He lay down on his bed and stared at ceiling.

(flashback)

30 minutes have passed and Yong Hwa was seated at a corner with his tie loosened up. He felt so worried and somewhat responsible on what was happening to Joo Hyun. He decided to look into her bag and call her parents. But it was shortly interrupted when…

“Are you with Seo Joo Hyun-shii?”, a lady asked him. Her voice sounds familiar.

He then raised his head and saw Tiffany.

“Yong Hwa? What are you doing here?”

“I’m with Seo Joo Hyun. How come you’re incharge with Joo Hyun. Aren’t you an oncologist?”

“Well, Yes. That’s why the nurses from the ER called me because I am Joo Hyun’s attending doctor. Anyways, do you know Joo Hyun’s parents?”

“Oh. I was about to call them.”

“That’s good. Well, if you have any questions you can drop by my office.”

What’s wrong with Joo Hyun?

***

“Joo Hyun-ah.”, He saw her eyes open and he immediately came at her bedside.

Her parents stood up and stayed beside her bedside too. Her mom held her hand and continued crying. She started crying too.

“I’m sorry.”

Yong Hwa left the room to give the family some time to talk.

Why is Mrs. Seo kept on crying.

He waited outside the room until Tiffany comes out.

“Tiffany, can I talk to you?”

“Sure.”

They entered her office.

“What is it you want to talk about?”

“Joo Hyun has cancer?”

“Since you’re her friend, I can’t lie so I have to say yes.”

Yong Hwa was dumbfounded. He wasn’t expecting that a lively girl as Joo Hyun has cancer.

“It can be cured right? I mean she’s still young.”

Tiffany didn’t answer.

“Tiff!”, he said loudly.

Tiffany looked at him, “I’m asking for the same miracle too.”

Yong Hwa stood up and opened the door when

“Yong Hwa!”

He looked back.

“I hope knowing Joo Hyun has cancer won’t stop you from liking her.”

“How can you even know I like her?”

Tiffany smiled, “I know you Yong Hwa. I was once the person who knew you best.”

(end of flashback)

                Maybe Tiffany is right.

                I left the hospital without saying goodbye to Joo Hyun. That’s so rude of me. I better call her.

He picks up his phone and calls Joo Hyun.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Joo Hyun-ah, Hello.”, He said. “How are you?”

“I’m fine. Better compared yesterday. Sorry if I became a burdensome.”

“Oh no. Not at all. I’m glad I was there.”

“Thank you very much.”

“Uhh. I would like to apologize because I didn’t say goodbye when I left.”

“Oh. You don’t have to.”, she answered, “Uhm. Do you have anything else to say?”

Without even thinking, Yong Hwa said, “Can I drop by your apartment?”

Joo Hyun was surprised hearing him say that. She doesn’t want to be rude so she said, “Sure. You can drop by. But don’t you have work?”

“I don’t have any schedule today. See you!”

“Ne~~~”

***

“Yong Hwa’s really  coming over?”, Hyoyeon asked her.

“Yes. And I don’t know why he wants to drop by.”, Joo Hyun answered.

Hyoyeon’s eyes were sparkling and started to tease Joo Hyun. “Maybe he wants to see you!”

“Eonni!”, Joo Hyun exclaimed. “it’s not like that! His visit might not mean anything.”

***

“Yong Hwa is already on his way here.”, Joo Hyun was telling Hyoyeon. Then she noticed that Hyoyeon was wearing casual clothes and is holding her car keys and bag. “eonni? Where are you going?”

“Oh.”, Hyoyeon was opening the door. “I’ve got errands to run in the studio. I’ll be back later. Bye!”, then she closed the door.

                Hyoyeon wasn’t running any errands at all. It was just her excuse to give the two some quality, heart to heart time. She doesn’t really know what Yong Hwa’s true intentions are but she knows the fact that Yong Hwa is a friend to Joo Hyun. She believes that Joo Hyun really needs that especially on what she’s been going through.

***

“Annyeonghaseyo.”, she bowed as she opened the door.

“Annyeong Joo Hyun-ah!”, he bowed as well.

“Come in.”

“You’re alone?”

“Yeah. eonni has some errands to do..”, she said. “Have a seat.”

“Thanks.”

                She goes to the kitchen while she Yong Hwa roams around the living room. There were a lot of photos pasted on the wall. It was the pictures of Hyoyeon and Joo Hyun since they were little up until now.

“You’ve known Hyoyeon since you were kids?”, he asked.

“Yeah. We’re best of friends.”, she answered as she prepares snacks in the kitchen.

He then said in a soft voice, “How I wish I have known you before.”

***

“Here you go.”,  as she placed a plate of fruits in the coffee table. “I also grinded ma. It’s somewhat my specialty.”

“Ma?! Wow. You’re the same as my mom. She loves to make me those.”, he happily said as he took a bite of the strawberry.

Joo Hyun sat beside him, “So, what brings you here? We could have just talked on the phone.”

He took another bite and said, “I just wanted to see you.”

“See me?”, she asked while sounding surprised. “We just saw each other yesterday.”

He then placed his fork down and faced Joo Hyun. He looked deeply into her eyes and suddenly hugged her. “Joo Hyun-ah..”

Joo Hyun stiffened and asked, “What are you doing?”

 “I’m sorry if you have to gone through this pain..”  He hugged her even tighter and said, “I know it must be so fast for you since it’s just been 22 days since we’ve met but can you please give me chance to like you.”

“like me?”, she asked as she moves away from his hug.

“Yes, I do.”

“But you know I have cancer..”

“Just because you have cancer doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to be liked.”