What money is

Lesson of life

# something that hard to earn

 

“Appa I want bicycle” said eight years old Hwa Yeon in one fine afternoon. She just finished her home work then came to living room to joined others who enjoy their afternoon with watched television. She said her wish as soon as she sat beside her father.

“Eng? Why suddenly you want bicycle?” Yong Hwa asked, eyes still on television.

“Ji Yoon and Ga Eun always cycling on afternoon and said that so fun. I want to join them. Please Appa”

“Minnie don’t play with remote” Seo Hyeon took remote from one year old Hae Mi.

Yong Hwa turned his head to Hwa Yeon since Hae Mi change the channel. Seo Hyeon change the channel back. Before her cried, she gave Hae Mi’s dearest doll, elephant doll.

“You want bicycle?”

Hwa Yeon excitedly nodded.

“Joonie don’t” Seo Hyeon said as she stood up, but Hae Joon, Hae Mi twins, already pushed shutdown button, turned the television off. Seo Hyeon carried Hae Joon back to sofa after turned back the television on.

“What we need to buy bicycle?” Yong Hwa asked, now turned his body, sat facing her.

“Money”

“Then you should find money first”

“Me? How?”

“What Appa do to get money?”

“Work”

“Then, you should work too”

“Why?” She looks disappointed. She never expect to get this respond from her father.

“Sorry honey to disturb, but can you help me watched Joonie? I must change Minnie diaper” Seo Hyeon asked as stand up and carried Hae Mi.

“Okay” Yong Hwa replied.

“Thanks” Seo Hyeon said as she walked to bathroom. Yong Hwa carried Hae Joon who busy playing with Hae Mi’s elephant doll. Then put Hae Joon between Hwa Yeon and him.

“Appa worked hard from morning until night to bought my car. Money is not fall from sky, or not like fruit that you can harvested from tree. You can’t get money with only ask to me or Omma. If you want bicycle, earn money first”

“Then I should go to work with you Appa?” She sound worried. Her father always back home after eight or nine, sometimes pass her bed time, she didn’t sure she can endure her sleepiness until that time.

“Aww!” Yong Hwa pulled her middle finger from Hae Joon mouth “Why you bit me?” Yong Hwa asked as tickled Hae Joon belly. The toddler laugh, make her sister and father also laugh heard his yummy voice.

“Appa?”

“Eng? Ah. Appa job is to hard for you” Yong Hwa stop tickled Hae Joon and the toddler move to her sister lap. Felt more safety there.

“Then what should I do?” She sound a bit relieved didn’t need to works like her father.

“Eng………… washed Appa car. Appa will give you ten thousand won per each time you washed. You know how much bicycle price?”

Hwa Yeon shook her head.

“It’s around one hundred fifty thousand won So if I pay you ten thousand every time you washed my car, how much times you need to washed my car?”

 “Eng… Fifteen?” Hwa Yeon sound hesitate. Division is still hard for her.

“Owh! So smart. Washed my car thrice a week, so in five weeks you can buy bicycle. How? Nice deal right?”

Omma” Hae Joon said when he saw her mother. Lifted his hand, want to carried by her mother.

“Aigoo, miss Omma already?” Seo Hyeon said as give Hae Mi to Yong Hwa then carried Hae Joon.

“Okay” Hwa Yeon said after give a thought for a moment

“Call?” Yong Hwa grinned, stretched out his right hand.

“Call” Hwa Yeon said as shook his father hand.

“Let’s start from tomorrow”

“Okay”

“What agreement you make?” Seo Hyeon asked, Hae Joon enjoy his time lend his head on her mother chest.

Omma” Hae Mi lifted her hand, want to carried by her mother too.

“Secret” Yong Hwa answered playfully, give Hae Mi to Seo Hyeon.

“Secret? Now there is secret in this house?” Seo Hyeon stare Hwa Yeon and Yong Hwa back and forth.

Appa give me job to me able buy bicycle” Hwa Yeon said, can’t endure her mother “tell me the truth” gaze.

“Job? What job?”

“Washed Appa car. I got ten thousand per each time”

“Really? Ooh you get a lot of money”

“Ne! I only need washed thrice a week and appa said in five week I can buy my bicycle”

“Owh, Nice!”

“Don’t you give up in middle way, okay? Fighting!” Yong Hwa said

“Fighting Yoonie!” Seo Hyeon said

“Fighting!” Yoonie said energetically.

“Are they already sleep?” Yong Hwa asked, pointed the twins in Seo Hyeon embraced.

“Ne” Seo Hyeon can felt their calm and steady breath.

“Indeed Omma chest is the best” Yong Hwa grinned mischievous. Seo Hyeon blushed but threw him nasty looks, make Yong Hwa chuckled.

“Just help me put them on bed” Seo Hyeon said. Yong Hwa sat up then took Hae Joon. The boy mumbled, Yong Hwa swing his body a bit while soothed Hae Joon back, make his back to sleep.

 

 

 

Six week later

“Waaa.. your bicycle is so pretty” said Ga Eun to pink leopard print bicycle.

“Eung. Pretty” Ji Yoon agreed.

“Thank you” Hwa Yeon grinned happy. “I bought it with my own money” She continued. Looks so proud.

“Jjinjja?” Ji Yoon and Ga Eun said in unison.

“Ne. I worked to my daddy for five weeks to bought this one. This helmet” She pointed her head “I bought with my bonus. Appa satisfied with my work so he give me more money to bought helmet”

“Waah.. what you did actually?” Ji Yoon asked as they started to pedaled their bike.

“Washed Appa’s car”

“Eh? Didn’t washed car is hard?” Ga Eun said

“Yes, and Appa has two car. But Appa give me a hand. He helped sprayed the water while I clean the soap”

“Your Daddy give you money and also help you?” Ga Eun asked

Hwa Yeon nodded.

“Your daddy so kind” Ji Yoon said

Ne. The best one” Hwa Yeon said proudly.

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

# things that you should spent less get more

It was eleven when Yong Hwa arrived at home. Found her wife enjoy her lone time – body leaned low on backrest, legs stretch to coffee table, and hugged cushion.

“Welcome home” Seo Hyeon said, give him sweet smiled before back focus to late drama on television.

Yong Hwa put her bag on sofa then walked to kitchen to get water.

“Are they already sleep?” He asked as sat beside Seo Hyeon. Put the glass on coffee table.

“Eng” Seo Hyeon answered as she pulled her legs from coffee table.

Yong Hwa linked her left arm on Seo Hyeon shoulder, pulled her closer. Seo Hyeon adjusted her position. Leaned comfortable in Yong Hwa chest. Put her head on his shoulder. Then intertwined their right hand, hold tight.

 Silence. Stay still like that for good two minute. Enjoy each other warm.

“Hungry?” Seo Hyeon asked

“I have supper with Min Hyuk”

“Hmm. Aren’t you tired oppa?”

“But you here” Snuggle more to her. Seo Hyeon pushed herself from Yong Hwa hugged. Took remote from coffee table then turn television off.

“Yah. You didn’t need to. It’s your free time” Yong Hwa reached to remote, but Seo Hyeon put that far from his reach.

“I prefer your hug though” She smirked

“Are you seduce me buin?”

“No. You know better what I do when seduce” Seo Hyeon smirked

“Yeah, yeah” Yong Hwa smiled. His memories fly to time when Seo Hyeon give him “surprise”.

Seo Hyeon slapped his arms, know what Yong Hwa thinking. “Your mind always portrayed clearly on your face” Yong Hwa giggled.

“I’ll give them good night kiss first” he said then stood up. Seo Hyeon nodded. When Yong Hwa walked to their kid rooms. Seo Hyeon walked to kitchen, put Yong Hwa glass on sink, before enter their room.

 

BOYS ROOM. War area, prepared your gun! That was what the boys put on their bedroom door. Hae Joon who wrote the letters and Yong Joon who drew something which supposed to be a gun because he can’t wrote.

Yong Hwa opened the door slowly and walked into dark room soundless. He shocked when found his boys not there. But remember the girls next door. It’s very rare but sometimes they sleep in one room. He walked out and enter the next door.

 

GIRLS ROOM. Don’t noisy sleeping beauty here! Knocked first before enter. The first letters after “GIRLS ROOM” was Hae Mi works and the last letter was Hwa Yeon. Yong Hwa open the door slowly without knocked. If the girls knew he will get scolded from them.

Not like the boys room, the lamp still on, make Yong Hwa can found easily four body on two bed. Yong Jun sleep with Hwa Yeon on her bed, and the twins sleep together on bed beside Hwa Yeon’s bed.

Yong Hwa fixed the blanket on Hwa Yeon’s bed then give kiss on Hwa Yeon’s and Hae Joon’s head. Then turn to Hae Mi’s bed. Put blanket on twins body, kiss their head, then walked out after switched the lamp off. Take a look for the last time before closed the door. Smiled of happiness. Indeed, this sound sleep angels is his source of happiness.

At a moment the door closed, three pair eyes opened. They sat up on bed, grinned, then came down from bed.

“Let’s continued” Hwa Yeon said. The twins nodded. They took their unfinished works from under Hwa Yeon’s bed and their tools under Hae Mi’s bed after Hwa Yeon switched the lamp on.

 

Two hours ago.

After said good night also gave and got their good night kiss from their mother, they enter respective room before the boys enter girls room through little door that connected their room.

Tomorrow was parent day, today at school each of them was made carnation with their teacher. The youngest, three year old Hae Jun, carnation was the weird one, but consider his age the carnation looks cute.

The eldest have idea what gift that their should give to their parents, book and hair clip for mother and guitar strap and guitar string for father. But when the eldest collecting their money, they know they don’t have enough money.

 

This morning.

“Yah! Why your money is so little?” said furious Hae Mi to Hae Joon after him open his piggy bank .

“You spent your new year money gift a lot didn’t you?” Hae Mi said again after Hwa Yeon finished count Hae Joon money, ten thousand five hundred won.

“It’s hard to save money” Hae Joon defense

“It’s not if you can control your desire to buy that sweet thing” Hwa Yeon said as she counted Hae Mi money. Hae Jun love sweet. He can eat five scoop ice cream, two pieces chocolate cake and a big lollipop in one go.

“Wah you have one hundred fifty two thousand won. Good job Minnie” Hwa Yeon give two thumbs. Hae Mi smiled widely. Hae Joon pouted.

   “We decided that I’ll take 50%, each of you 20% and Yongie 10%. If our standard is Joonie money, 10,000 so I must give 25,000 and Yongie 5,000” Hwa Yeon counted easly. “So all of our money is …….. 50,000 won. Heol, guitar strap is around 35,000”

“You can take all my money eonnie

“Me too noona” Yong Joon added

“No..No. It’s only make Joonie looks bad if he was the one who give less money though he was big brother here”

Hae Joon who touched with his noona words, jumped to Hwa Yeon, give her hug and deep kiss on her cheek. The two youngest laughed saw their eldest knocked to floor with Hae Joon action.

Noona you are the best”

Arraseo. Please move you heavy you know” Hae Joon moved, sat beside Hwa Yeon.

“That’s why you should listen to omma. Spent less get more” Hwa Yeon said.

“Ne”

Since they know what money is, Seo Hyeon taught them to save their money with gave them piggy bank. Seo Hyeon said they didn’t know what will happened when she and Yong Hwa not around, so if something urgent happened and they need money they can took from their piggy bank. Or they can used the money to bought what they want. Thought Seo Hyeon said the thing that they bought must be something useful or important, Hae Joon spent the money to bought the sweet thing that he likes.

“So, what can we buy with that eonnie?”

“I think book and guitar string. Let me found in store what else I can buy with this money”

 

Two hours ago.

Hwa Yeon manage to bought a book and a guitar strap, she found the cheap one. When twins wrap the present, her with Yong Joon busy draw a border in A3 drawing book paper. They want to make certificate best parent.

“Noona I’m finished”

“Me too” said Hae Mi.

“Wait. We almost finished” Hwa Yeon said

“Finished!!” Yong Joon said happily. Make high five with his oldest sister.

“What should we wrote on there?” Hae Mi asked

“On top center page, we wrote “Best Parent Award”, then on bellow “This award gave for Seo Joo Hyeon and Jung Yong Hwa bla, bla, bla, formal words that we can found on certificate”

“Then, we count to you eonnie. We will make Happy Parent Day banner” Hae Joon said.

“Okay”

Then the busy with their own work. The youngest who have not any thing to do, take his drawing book and busy with his own thing.

Hwa Yeon smiled proudly with her work. Only need her dongsaeng signature than it’ll be perfect. She turn her head to Yong Joon who already sleep. Hwa Yeon look to his drawing book. He draw house with six people. He draw his family.

She carried Yong Joon to her bed.

“He sleep?” Hae Mi asked

“Eng. Are you finished?”

“No. There is a few word that not painted yet” Hae Joon answered

“We haven’t draw the decoration too” Hae Mi added

“Okay I’ll have. But sign the certificate first”

“How noona?”

“Just wrote your name”

Then their heard their father voiced. Hurried their put their works under bed, then get on bed, pretended to sleep. They know Yong Hwa habit to gave good night kiss before his sleep. But after five minute there isn’t any signed from Yong Hwa.

“Eonnie” Hae Joon called in low voice

“Eng?”

“Maybe Appa won’t come”

“No, I think…”

Then their heard sound of Boys door room opened.

“Appa come” Hae Mi said

“Sleep. Sleep” Hwa Yeon said. Then when Yong Hwa came to Girls room, he found his kids sleep. After Yong Hwa out from room, they continued their work.

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

# can’t buy love, friendship, happiness


Seo Hyeon woke up like usual at six a clock. Brushed her hair then tied neatly in pony tail. Fixed the blanket on Yong hwa body. Brushed his bang to side with her finger. Give light kiss on his forehead before walked from bedroom.

Omo. What are you doing?” Seo Hyeon asked when saw her kids doing in living room. The twins stood on top sofa backrest, held the banner that they made last night, while Hwa Yeon stood a way in front of television, take a look is the banner was on right angel or not. And the youngest, Hae Joon sat on carpet play with his train.

“Omma!” they, except Hae Joon, yelled, shocked and annoying because their surprise was failed.

“Omma you shouldn’t be here” Hwa Yeon said. Seo Hyeon read the banner, and knowledge she ruined their surprise.

“I didn’t see anything. I walk-sleep, I’m dreaming right now” Seo Hyeon closed her eyes, then turn around, enter her room.

“See. Omma always woke up at six, we should woke earlier” Hwa Yeon said

“If Hae Mi didn’t forget to turn on the alarm, we can woke up thirty minutes ago” Hae Joon grumbled

“Aish, fine.  I’m sorry. It’s my tenth apologize though” Hae Mi sound irritated.

“Okay don’t fight,. Its better we finished it quickly” Hwa Yeon said.

 

In master bedroom.

“Oppa…” Seo Hyeon shook Yong Hwa arm. “Woke up”

“Hmmm” Yong Hwa mumbled. Instead open his eyes, he turned around, gave Seo Hyeon his back.

“Don’t mad if you miss the surprise” Seo Hyeon said threatening. In blink of eyes he sat up, turned his body to Seo Hyeon.

“Cih, liar” He said after saw Seo Hyeon in neat clothes. Felt Yong Hwa eyes roamed her body, she playfully hit Yong Hwa shoulder.

“Yah! What kind surprise you have on your mind?”

“Wae? It’s normal to think about that, isn’t it?” Yong Hwa smirked. Moved closer to Seo Hyeon “It’s been a long time since your last special morning woke up” He teased Seo Hyeon

“Ah, stop! It’s not right time you know. The kids make a surprise for us”

“If it’s surprise why you told me”

“Because I don’t won’t to be the one who lost the surprise moment” Seo Hyeon smirked

“Evil” Yong Hwa pouted “What occasion by the why?”

“I don’t know. I want to ask you too”

Then, they heard knocked, three times, on their door.

“Come in, not locked” Seo Hyeon said. Then ran to their room their kids while shouted.

“Happy parents day”

They climbed on bed, then gave kiss and hug before put the carnation that their made on Seo Hyeon and Yong Hwa shirt.

“Owh, wow thank you darling” Seo Hyeon and Yong Hwa forget today is parent day. They still got the surprise moment.

“Come to living room, we have surprise” Yong Joon said then he jumped from bed and sprinted to living room.

“Come on Appa, Omma” Hae Mi said as pulled her father hand. Hwa Yeon pulled Seo Hyeon hand. Hae Jon walk a head to living room.

Yong Joon jumped on sofas while shouted proudly “Looks, it’s Hyeong and Noona who make it” he pointed to the banner. “And here, here, I draw this” pointed to drawing below the banner. His drawing, a house with six people, him and his family.

“Oh beautiful” Seo Hyeon comment for both banner and Yong Joon drawing.

“Wah, you have work hard” Yong Hwa looks happy and give two thumbs to the kids.

Hae Mi give the wrap gift to Yong Hwa and Hae Jon gave to Seo Hyeon. “From as” they said.

“Wah…thank you” Seo Hyeon said after found a book inside. Super Mom is human too, book about how to housewife or career mother let out their stress.

“Cool. Thank you” Yong Hwa said after saw the blink-blink guitar strap.

“Appa, omma, please stand here” Hwa Yeon pointed spot in front of coffee table. They followed Hwa Yeon request after put their gift on coffee table.

“Yongie come here” Hwa Yeon said as she and Hae Joon, who held handy-cam, stood five step in front of Seo Hyeon and Yong Hwa. They stood face to face. Hae Mi stood beside Hwa Yeon after took a paper in television table.

“We want to give you award, so please listen carefully with the content”

Yong Hwan ad Seo Hyeon stare each other eyes in surprise looks but then nodded with wide smiled in their face to.

“Best Parent Award. This award gave for Seo Joo Hyeon and Jung Yong Hwa as their dedicated to raised their kids well. Appreciated for their hard work, invaluable care and love for their kids for years. Although sometimes you looks scared and nagged a lot, but we knowledge that as your affection for us. We gave a lot trouble for you, but you still gave us a lot of love. Thank you so much for your love and patience. Stay healthy and cool. Awarding by Jung Hwa Yeon, Jung Hae Joon, Jung Hae Mi, and Jung Yong Joon” Hwa Yeon finished reading then faced her parents who have teary eyes. Their held each other hand tightly. Overwhelmed with the surprise.

“I caught Appa tear” Hae Joon said as he eyes didn’t leave the handy-cam. Yong Hwa wiped his tears as giggled. Seo Hyeon also giggled.

“Yah! The ceremony not ever yet” Hae Mi whispered. Hwa Yeon sighed, before asked her parents to take two step forward to received the certificate.

“Thank you so much darling. You are the best daughter (son)”

“Thank you so much my princess (hero). I’m proud to be your father”

That was what Seo Hyeon and Yong Hwa said while hugged their kid one by one. Tears can’t held anymore and just fall freely on her face.

“Why Omma crying?” asked innocent Yong Joon.

“Because omma got a lot love from you” Seo Hyeon said.

“Money can make you happy but can't buy happiness. Because the true thing that makes you happy are love, family and friendship. Cherish your family, sibling and friend because they more precious than anything expensive in this world. And you can’t got them with money but with love and respect” Yong Hwa said when they have meal that morning. closing the celebration with wise words.

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

A/n:

Anyeong.... sorry for late update. the connection is slow due the bad weather, makes my mood down. i should changed the provider =__="

This one is about money. Believe or not money is the scariest thing in the world, at least for me. Everything have two side, and so money. I had saw a lot how money can change someone personality. And how money can ruined someone life. I’m not trying to lecture to others here. Just want to sharing how my parents taught me and what I hope my parents could taught me when I was a kid so I can be more brave to faced the real world. 

hope you enjoy this chapter too.... see you later  ^^