Seven (finale)

April Snow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s sunny today.

 

The sky looks so much closer from where he stands; behind the window of the twenty third floor of the hospital building. He follows the lazy movement of the clouds scattered around the baby blue canvas. Today is such a beautiful day.

 

“Grandpa?”

 

He looks away from the window, finding a young, beautiful girl, in the middle of her twenties, looking down at him from where she stands. She offers a bright smile at him as she settles down on a chair next to his bed. “The sky is so pretty today, right?”

 

Smiling warmly, he shakes his head. “Not as pretty as you, dear Irene.”

 

Irene laughs cheerily. “Somehow hearing you say that makes me really believe that I’m that pretty.”

 

“Because you are.” he reaches a trembling hand to her, and she immediately grabs it gently, wrapping her fingers around it. “You are the most beautiful lady in the world.”

 

Can’t stop grinning, Irene shifts closer to him. “If you say that I’m pretty, then I am pretty, and no one shall ever defy it because your words are law.”

 

“You got it right.”

 

Sharing a warm laugh, Irene examines her grandfather’s face. Wrinkles had overtaken every possible spot, and she remembers how her parents said that the old man was a very handsome man. She thinks that they’re right, because even now, in his eighties, he still looks handsome, even with age dragging his beauty down with it.

 

“What were you thinking about?” she asks softly. “You were spacing out, looking outside the window.”

 

He closes his eyes gently. “I was just appreciating my gift of still being able to see the sky, dear.” he says. Then he peeks an eye. “May I ask what date is today?”

 

“Hm? Eighth of April, grandpa.” she says, already knowing what he was meaning with the question. "Grandpa Ryung’s memorial day is tomorrow.”

 

“I know.” he nods, smiling. “Will you take me to the cemetery tomorrow?”

 

Irene smirks. “Wasn’t I the one who always took you there, grandpa? And I think I’m going to bring the boys with me.”

 

“But don’t they have a lot of work?”

 

“They can manage.” Irene waves her free hand nonchalantly. “OS Corp won’t go down just because their CEO takes a day off and Firelight Entertainment won’t make a fuss just because their biggest pride right now empties his schedule for a day.”

 

“What about you, then? Your ballet classes?”

 

“My dance academy can wait, grandpa. I was going to skip a rehearsal anyway.”

 

He flashes a glad smile. “Then I will go with the three of you.”

 

“It’s all set then; we’re going to have fun tomorrow after your visit to the cemetery.”

 

==

 

Inside the ride, Sehun takes a good look at three of his grandchild, together talking animatedly.

 

Irene Bae, who’s sitting next to him, is the only child of his daughter who got married with a Chinese-Canadian business man. Her skin is pale white, her lips are rosy pink, and her eyes, they’re round and bright. Her voice is as soft as morning bell, which really reminds him of the most beautiful voice he ever heard, so many years ago, when particular someone was still next to him.

 

Facing them are the twin-looking siblings. Oh Ryunghan is the eldest among his grandchildren. He’s already twenty five, a year older than Irene. Ryunghan is blessed with an almost lady-like face; delicate, complete with round eyes and puckered lips. He is the CEO of the company he had handed to his son for around twenty years ago, and he’s more than glad because Ryunghan is the perfect candidate for the next Chairman, with all his brilliance and wise thinking. Oh Sehan, who is younger than Ryunghan by four years, is the total opposite from his hyung. Despite his masculine appearance, he is cheery and playful. He’s currently one of the brightest idol in the country, all with his face and his talent in dancing and music. The siblings, although they have noticeably different personalities, blend in very well with each other.

 

Sehun casts a bittersweet smile as he watches Ryunghan and Sehan bickering at each other.

 

Maybe it was like that too, between him and that particular someone.

 

 

 

“No. I’m not going to just let you stand here all by yourself. No I’m not going to do it.”

 

“Oh Sehan.”

 

“Grandfather, I agree with this kid. Why should we go when we’re perfectly here for you? We can’t risk something to happen to you.”

 

“Ryunghan.”

 

“Uh, boys,” Irene coughs, “that’s enough.”

 

“Noona you were the first to protest.”

 

“Why do you want to be alone anyway?” Ryunghan asks.

 

Sehun takes a deep breath, before smiling at his grandchildren. “I think I can use some time alone. You know, to think. About random things.”

 

“But grandpa,” Sehan pouts, “what if you catch a cold later?”

 

“I won’t, kid, I promise.”

 

“You sure you’ll be alright, then?” Irene is already loosening her tight grip around her grandfather’s arm. “We’ll be just a few blocks away. We’ll be watching, okay?”

 

Nodding, Sehun tightens his hold on the stick that has been supporting half of his weight. “Thank you.”

 

The three of them hesitatingly walk away from their beloved old man. “At least I’ve prayed for grandpa Ryung.” Sehan mumbles out of the blue as he stares down over his shoes.

 

“What were you praying for?” Ryunghan asks with an amused smile.

 

“Eh? Well, nothing much.” Sehan drapes an arm around his brother’s shoulder, being noticeably taller than the other. “As usual, praying for his wellbeing in wherever he is, and, uh, hoping that he will always take good care of grandpa Sehun if they meet again someday.”

 

Irene stops at her track. “Whoa,” she gasps, “you are really sweet, young man.”

 

“… gosh you sounded like a e, noona.”

 

 

 

Sehun stands before a grave, the one he has visited for million times already. Maybe his grandchildren are thinking that he’s reflecting himself with it because just be honest, he’s not going to stay for some long time more in such age. But he asked some private time because he just want it to be sacred, between him and the person he always miss the most.

 

'Laying here in peace is our beloved son, brother, friend'

 

'Oh Ryung - Lu Han'

 

Many years back, he always talked to Luhan’s grave, blabbering about so many random things in his life. He remembers he ever spoke about how Ryunghan really resembles Luhan, how Sehan resembles himself, and how Irene has Luhan’s eyes somehow. Last year he talked about how his health has not been that well.

 

But today, he chooses to stay silent.

 

It’s as if he can hear the remnants of Luhan’s voice through the wind blowing around him. It’s like time has stopped, and in the moment, he can almost feel Luhan getting closer to him. It’s like if he can stay still just long enough, he can feel the warmth of Luhan’s hand on his cheek.

 

He’s going

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter