Six

April Snow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s really happening. He watches in horror as Sehun starts to groan, eyebrows knitted, teeth gritted. His limbs start to tremble.

 

The nightmare.

 

Any seconds later he would have to wake Sehun up. It was what he had said to Sehun earlier. He would wake Sehun up for a few times until Sehun doesn’t dream anymore. Until Sehun is in peaceful sleep with him. Sehun is trembling too much, he should stop him any second from now. It must be painful; it was like that for him too.

 

But Luhan, instead of shaking Sehun awake, scoots away from Sehun and gets off the bed. He stands frozen, watching Sehun tossing and turning. In the back of his mind, memories of the past few days are playing back like an old, nostalgic movie. This is, truthfully, what he had expected on the bottom of his heart ever since he saw Sehun standing at the entrance door of the café. He knew he wouldn’t want to let go, but he also knew that he wouldn’t have the heart not to. He doesn’t deserve to hold Sehun’s life in his hand.

 

Letting go is always hard. Maybe it was like this too for Sehun, painful and miserably devastating, when he left him. Maybe Sehun had a very hard time moving on for the first months, or even years, after he left.

 

And maybe this will be him, paying back for Sehun’s heartbreaks that he caused.

 

Tears are making their way down his face again as he walks around the bed. He settles to kneel down next to the side of the bed where Sehun lays. He reaches out slowly, taking Sehun’s shaking hand in his.

 

“I’m sorry.” he murmurs brokenly. He only clasps his fingers tighter on Sehun’s hand, not wanting to let go just yet. He’s watching every last second of his brother being there. Sehun’s body is trembling wildly, eyes tightly shut and groans louder than before.

 

Luhan doesn’t hold his sobs anymore. He lets his strangled voice to fill the silence of the eerie morning. “I’m sorry” Luhan chokes out. “Sehun, I’m sorry.”

 

He closes his eyes tightly, not wanting to witness the scene anymore. He only holds onto Sehun’s hand more desperately and keeps shutting his eyes. He feels every tremble, every tossing, and he wish he could stop it all but he couldn’t. He’s not sure what to do anymore.

 

And then after a few minutes, he finally feels nothing.

 

It’s a deafening silence all over again. Luhan notices that there’s only empty air between his hands. He slowly looks up, afraid of what he will find in front of him. Crumpled white sheet and marine blue blanket greet his sight.

 

Luhan’s eyes widen.

 

 

 

– beep, beep, beep –

 

“What??” Doctor gasps as he’s stunned, staring at the cardiogram that is working back. Minseok watches the steady rise and fall of Sehun’s chest never ceased. It stays on motion.

 

Sehun is alive.

 

“I need everyone to clear the room at this second.” Doctor immediately moves from his spot, directing the nurses to grab a few things.

 

At the doorframe is Yifan, eyes as wide as saucers, with Yixing cupping his mouth with his hand. Then the adults are ushering everyone out. Minseok is still in daze to move quickly.

 

He then realizes that Jongdae has been dragging him out of the room. They stop right next to the door. Everyone is still stunned. It was so quiet until Jongin breaks the truth for them officially.

 

“Sehun is going to live.” Jongin whispers.

 

Even before Sehun’s mother starts to sob in happiness, Minseok is already on his knees. Suddenly all the fright, the exhaustion, come altogether to him like a strong wave. It causes his emotion to burst out, and tears are representing them. He was, after all, scared like hell about Sehun’s condition. And now that he finds that Sehun is going to stay alive, he finally lets out all the emotions inside.

 

He’s crying out of a very huge relief.

 

“Hyung,” Jongdae calls for him as he throws his arms around his best friend since childhood, “calm down.”

 

“He’s going to stay.” Minseok chokes out. “I thought he was leaving – but he’s staying. Oh God, he’s staying.”

 

Jongdae nods vigorously, smiling so widely that his lips are stretched cheek to cheek. Tears are ruining his smile, but he doesn’t care as he buries his face on the back of Minseok’s hair. “Yes, hyung.” he whispers. “He’s staying with us. He’s not leaving anywhere.”

 

It’s around forty minutes later when the Doctor finally walks out of the room, with the brightest smile he had offered at the day. “He’s stable now.” he says proudly. “I have to say this is a miracle. His heart is back on track, beating as steady as ever. Mr. Oh, Mrs. Oh, may I speak in private with the both of you regarding this?”

 

“Of course, of course.” Mr. Oh immediately reaches for his wife’s hand, smiling at her in process. Both of them follow the Doctor away.

 

Then the nurse comes out too, smiling knowingly as she sees everyone’s still stunned. “He can use some visit now.” she says politely. “But please don’t rush it. He’s stable, but he’s still a little bit fragile.”

 

“S-so, he’s awake now??” Jongin asks a little bit too excitedly.

 

The nurse grins. “Ah, right, I mean, he’s awake.”

 

 

 

No one’s there anymore.

 

He’s all alone. As the sun finally provides enough light to brighten up the bedroom, he finds himself all alone.

 

And so he starts to scream.

 

And scream,

 

and scream.

 

 

 

As everyone gathers, Jongin takes the liberty to open the door. In one swift move, he reveals the room, letting the others go in first before he closes the door. He stops at the edge of the bed as he sees his best friend laying there.

 

With both eyes opened.

 

“Hey guys...” Sehun manages to say weakly, hand still clutching around the oxygen mask in his hand; it’s no longer on his face.

 

It was like a magic spell for everyone; they immediately breathe in relief. “Gosh, you little piece of , always managed to give me a heart attack!!” Jongdae’s shouting with tears b on his eyes.

 

“Hyung! There are adults here!” Jongin scolds.

 

“Kid, you’re awake for good now, right?” Yifan says, hands gripping at the edge of the hospital bed. “You’re not going to sleep for so long like that again, right?”

 

Sehun offers a soft grin at the friend he hasn’t seen for a quite long while. “You’re here, Yifan hyung.”

 

“Yes, with Yixing too.”

 

Smiling at the also smiling Yixing, Sehun searches for his favorite cousin. “Hi, hyung.” he grins. “How long I was knocked out?”

 

“It was almost three weeks this time.” Minseok informs him. “And we surely wish there won’t be another time.”

 

“... this time?” Sehun looks up at them in confusion. “What do you mean... this time?”

 

“Uh, you fell into coma twice?” Jongdae answers for him. “Don’t tell me you don’t remember.”

 

Looking down slowly, Sehun tries to recall anything about him waking up. “I...” he murmurs, “I don’t know. Did I, did I ever wake up?”

 

“You did. You woke up for a few days before you fell into coma again, son.” Minseok’s father says. “You don’t remember?”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “I don’t.” he says quietly. “But I think I was having some... dreams.”

 

“Dreams?”

 

“Yeah, dreams.” Sehun says. “Although I don’t really remember what. There was... a house?”

 

 

 

“Gege!!” Zitao bursts into the room. “Gege, why are you screaming?? Why are you here?? What happened??”

 

Luhan doesn’t listen to Zitao’s pleas of him calming down. His voice is getting raspy. His throat is burning, yet he doesn’t stop on screaming his heart out. He curls his body on the bed, hugging his knees as he keeps sobbing loudly. Zitao, who’s innocently oblivious of what is happening to his brother, keeps asking what happened and tries his best to calm the older down.

 

When Luhan finally does calm down, Zitao is the one who’s crying softly instead. “Please tell me, gege,” he sobs, “please, tell me what happened.”

 

“He’s gone.” Luhan finally lets out. His voice is too broken. “He’s gone.”

 

“Who is ‘he’?? Who was here, ge?”

 

Luhan doesn’t answer. His tired eyes catch the blurry image of the window, and the sky outside.

 

It’s already morning.

 

 

 

“And snow... it was snowing...” Sehun murmurs, trying hard to remember the remnants of his supposed to be dream, “and...”

 

‘Will it be fine if you call me hyung?’

 

“... hyung.”

 

Minseok scoots closer. “Yes?”

 

“Hyung,” Sehun whispers, confused yet somehow sure, “Luhan hyung...”

 

Minseok retreats back to look at Jongdae, who’s staring back at him with perplexed look on his face. They th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter