Goodbye

Back Home

Someone was shaking my arm, again. Why did everyone have to wake me up this way on a morning? I opened my eyes and met the eyes of one of the maids, why the hell was she in my room for?

“What do you think yo-”

“Miss Hana, I am sorry but it is urgent. Please get dressed as soon as possible.” She looked distressed, what was her deal, why was she being so vague?

“What… What’s happened?” I rubbed sleep out of my eyes and got out of bed, and realised it was only 2AM. The maid looked sceptical before she said anything.

“Your… Your mother was just admitted to the hospital. I dropped the t-shirt I was about to change into, did this maid think she could joke around with me?

“Look, I know im not very nice to you, but th-”

“There was an accident on the motorway when she was returning from a meeting in Birmingham. A large lorry crashed into the car and caused it to flip, she is now in critical condition, please hurry up!” He voice was thick with distress and she was tearing up. Okay, this was no joke.

I shot into action and changed in approximately two seconds. I didn’t stop to cry or feel sorry for myself whilst running down the stairs, my mom needed me.

Twenty minutes later I was rushing through the doors of the nearest hospital, and being guided down a corridor by my maid and a nurse.

Just as I was about to enter the room, an oldish looking man stopped me.

“Are you her daughter?”

“Yes.”

“I’d liked to speak with you before you go in…” I looked at him confused, why couldn’t I go and see my mother? Surely she had asked for me. We sat down on some uncomfortable metal chairs. I fidgeted with my nails, hoping that he would hurry up.

“Your mother…Is in a critical state. The impact of the lorry cracked her skull, and it appears she has some major internal bleeding. Im afraid there’s nothing we can do.”

I looked at him. And then towards the door were the nurse went into. Before he could hold me back I lept up and ran into the room. My mother was there, a thing was around her head keeping it in place, most of her one arm was bandaged, she had two black eyes, and about 4 needles stuck into her.

“Mom!” Tears gushed down my cheeks. Machines beeped, a slow beep, 3 nurses surrounded her. One of them noticed the hysterical me and shot up.

“Miss, you can’t be in here, please le-”

“We need a doctor, NOW!” Another nurse interrupted as the beeping in the background grew rapidly quicker. The man who spoke to me earlier rushed passed me.

“Someone get her out of here” The nurse beside her grabbed her arm and started to pull me. But I stood frozen, staring at my mother. She was pale, so pale the white sheets she lay on blended into her skin, and she looked helpless, lifeless.

The nurse became more restless and I started screaming as she finally started to drag me away.

“Mom!” My screams made her wince, I clawed at her arm trying to get her off me, but I became so weak that nothing worked. The door to the room shut in my face and the nurse dragged me down to the metal chairs again. I was still screaming for my mom, but they were inaudible because I was crying so much. The nurse left my side, she looked like she was tearing up herself.

I was curled up sideways on the chair when my mother’s lawyer approached, why was he here?

“Oh Hana” He looked like he had been crying. He looked down at me sympathetically. He tried to sit next to me but I wouldn’t budge my feet, the speck of green paint on the wall was more interesting than him.

“As you know, there…there is nothing that can be done for your mother, and because you’re only 16…”

“No.” I knew what he was going to say, my mother would either die or not be well enough to take care of me, so I’d have to move in with a guardian.

“I am not going back there.” He sighed at me, he looked like he was trying to find a way to phrase what he was about to say. He crouched down in front of me, right in front of the speck of green paint. Dammit.

“In…in your mothers will, she wishes you to go, to go back home if she could no longer take care of you. By back home I mean, back to your father.”

I shook my head violently, why would I want to go back there? Back to my father who became obsessed with money and power, the father who would rather go to business meetings in Paris instead of being there for his daughters 1st birthday?

“You have to. Hana im sorry, but I can’t change the law. You are a minor and living by yourself it not allowed. Your mother wishes it.”

“There’s still time for her to get better” Tears rolled down my cheeks as I started to realise that I was probably lying.

“For Christ sake no there is not! She is critical!” I looked at him with wide eyes, why was he so angry?

“Do you not have any hope Mr Tanner?” He looked taken a back, this idiot thinks my mom is not a fighter. Regardless of how weak she looked, she will pull through, she will right? Yeah, my mom wouldn’t leave me alone, with my dad.

“You need to sign this.” Mr Tanner looked like he was about to snap at me again. He shoved the papers in my face, it was basically saying that I agreed to follow my mother’s will. Fine. I scribbled down a signature. I wouldn’t have to go back to my father anyway, she wouldn’t leave me.

I lay on the cold metal chairs for nearly 6 hours, waiting for any news from the nurses, but there was none. They wouldn’t let me see her, they said it wasn’t appropriate. It was nearly 11am when 3 doctors rushed into the room, yea, t h r e e.

I jolted up in panic, what was going on? Why did they need 3 doctors? I grabbed the nearest nurse

“What’s happening?” She looked at me with pity, and spoke hesitantly.

“I’m sorry dear.”

“No no no no, don’t you dare sa-”

“I really am sorry, but Madame Ahn pas-” her voice was cut off when my legs turned to jelly, and my vision faded into blackness.

--

I could hear people chattering around me, hundreds of people around me. Where the heck wa- Mom.

I jolted up, tears had already formed in my eyes, remembering what the nurse had said to me. I realised that I was slumped against a cold metal chair again, but this time I was not in the hospital.

Silent tears spilled down my cheeks when I realised where I was. Passports, suitcases, cheap sun hats, I was at the airport. One of my bags was next to me, along with my passport and phone, who the hell dragged me here?

Seconds later Mr Tanner approached me. Bastard

“Before you scream at me, you signed for this. You said you would comply.”

“W...Where is she?” My voice was dry and squeaky.

“She’s gone. Im sorry Hana. Your mother was an amazing women, and many people will be affected by her death, however. We need to get you back to Seoul, the government give us 48 hours to find a minor a legal guardian, otherwise they deal with it themselves, and you would be sent to a random family.”

My whole body shook, was he being serious? Was I dreaming? There was a call out for a flight, I didn’t hear the details but Mr Tanner flinched.

“That’s your flight. All you luggage is packed, literally everything, the maids were packing all day.” Day? I looked out the nearest window and saw that it was pitch black, and a clock read 10PM.

I went to stand up as he told me to follow him, but I stopped when my vision went patchy. A few deep breaths later and I was standing up. I saw my refection in a nearby window. I didn’t even recognise myself. My hair was messy and greasy, I had black streaks all down my face and my eyes were bright red and puffy.

When walking over to the gate, I realised that I was in first class, wow, very accommodating Mr Tanner. Then again, it could have been curtesy of my father.  

My legs still felt like jelly when I walked down the hall towards the plane, tears were still rolling out my eyes and I didn’t even realise. I just clung onto my hand luggage and my passport and ambled up the aeroplane stairs.

One of the air hostesses formally bowed and greeted me, but I ignored her. I wandered over to my seat and leaned my head against the window. I pulled my phone out my bag, and earphones. I got a little bit of joy out of the fact that whoever packed my bag gave me earphones. Shortly after take-off I fell asleep, and didn’t wake up until landing.

I almost passed out again when I walked into the terminal. It was really overwhelming. I hadn’t been here for almost 13 years, I don’t even remember what it was like back then, but I somewhat felt like I had returned ‘home’.

The thing is, I have no clue where I am going. I looked around, to see many people going to their families or their partners, but I had no clue what I was supposed to do. I waited, and observed until I spotted someone holding up a sign.

하나

Oh, I never thought to look for my name in Korean. I slowly walked over to the man, who was wearing a tennis cap backwards, odd. He looked up when I approached him and smiled warmly.

“Hana right? How are you…?” Pity. That’s what his eyes were full of. Of course, it was nice to see that people cared but when a complete random stranger asks you how you are coping when your mother died about 20 hours ago, I don’t know how I didn’t snap at him.

“Fine…Who are you?”

“Oh, I am your fathers assistant, he asked me to take you to his office.” Oh right, him. Sounds just like my father, he couldn’t even be bothered to pick his daughter up from the airport, even after his ex-wife/my mother had died.

We got to a van outside, he told me he had already collected my luggage and put it inside. When I was walking behind him, I looked at the logo on the back of his cap. It read ‘Big Hit Ent’. Why did that seem so familiar?  

Just before I got into the van, I remembered. Almost 2 days ago now, the walkie talkie lady had the same logo on her shirt, when Amy dragged me to that Fan signing for… BTS.

Why was my dad’s assistant wearing a cap with the exact same logo ? 


A/N:

Saaaaaaaad chapter :(
Please subscribe if you like my fic so far!