02. Tiny Progress

Summer Rain

A/N:[  --n--  ] means narration/narrator part.

 

 

 

 

“Hey, will you please stop?” I look up to my friend’s face and asked ‘why’ and she averted her gaze. “You’re tempting me! You’ve been eating chocolates since we got here, aren’t you going to eat lunch? I’m eating ‘grass’ here and you’re eating that?” she calls vegetables grass or leaves, like normal leaves of a tree. “I thought we’re on diet?” Jessica asked as if I betrayed her while eyeing the chocolates wrappers infront of me.

Jessica is the first friend I made when I entered Sekang High and up till now, she’s my only friend. Although other girls enjoy having a group or company, I am very satisfied with her being my best friend, just her. Jessica is very conscious on her looks as she dreams of being a fashion designer and a model as well. Now that it’s been mentioned, Jessica has a pretty features, she’s tall enough and have a skinny body. Some of his fanboys in our school calls her a living doll or a 2D character who came out of a manga that even some girls admire her too. She was born in America—that explains her English name and why she excels in our English class. She is also the cheerleaders’ captain of our school that mainly focuses on the soccer team, that’s why we rarely hang out after school since I have basketball club activities too. She may be the perfect person for everyone but Jessica isn’t really how people see her. In fact, I’m the only one who knows her well.

“I am. But right now, I need sugar.” I sighed and continued munching. “A lot,” I added and smiled at her to forgive me. Sica scoffed and pushed my forehead with her thin index finger. “You really can’t discipline yourself with your diet, I thought you’re very motivated now since Mr. Captain is currently single and—“ I quickly leans to her side to cover her big mouth. “Ssssh!!!” Jessica raised her both hand, surrendering, for me to release her. “I told you to never mention him in school!” Jessica shrugged, “you know I really don’t see the point of hiding it. So what if the team’s manager has a big crush on the team’s captain? And so what if you started dating? Why don’t you just confess?”

“That’s easy for you to say because you can get any guy you like in this school, they treat you like a princess but it’s different to me.” I stated without trying to offend her. “Jooyeon, you’re pretty! Why can’t—“ I look straight at her interrupting her and smiled bitterly. “Besides, I’ve come this far. He’s my friend now. I don’t want to ruin the kind of closeness we have now..” Jessica rolled her eyes and just continued eating her salad.

--n--

“Have you seen the pretty boy freshie?” Jessica turns her head to the table next to theirs where a group of girls from section B of their batch were chatting. “You mean the not so tall one with brown hair?” one asked. “The one wearing pink backpack?” one asked as well, to confirm if they are talking about the same person. “Yes! Aah~ he’s so cute, yet so handsome. Don’t you think?” The girls squealed together. “Wait, are you sure he’s not gay? I mean he’s wearing pink..” one of them joined the conversation. “I don’t think so, he gives off a very manly aura. Plus, his backpack is a sporty looking one. I’m sure he likes sports.”  Jessica turns back to her best friend, slowly getting uninterested. She’s not really interested in such, as she’s more interested in fashion.

--n—

 

“Hmp, don’t they know that pink is the trend for guys now?” she muttered to herself. “Eh? What did you say?” I asked when I heard her murmuring to herself. Sica smiled and shook her head. “Nothing. It’s been a long time since we eat here together. I’m just glad we can be together again every day.”

“Tch, as if you don’t come to my room every single day during vacation.” I half-reminded her feigning annoyed. “Well.. that. But.. it still feels different because we’re wearing uniform and surrounded with noisy people.” She giggles and so do I. During vacations we did not go out to play even once, we just stayed in my room or her room all day doing girly stuffs, watched movies in DVD and sometimes messing with the kitchen trying out-of-this-world recipes and bursting the oven with our baking expertise.

“By the way, you said you’re needed here early, that’s why we didn’t go together this morning, but I didn’t saw on the gate with the council. What were you doing? Where were you?”

“I sat there the whole time,” Sica raised a brow, clearly not believing my words. “Well, there is a time when an annoying freshman shows up and begged to be shown around. I just did my job there. Urg, let’s just not talk about that.”

“Probably.. the reason why you needed sugar?”

“Yeah, I feel so drained today. Hurry up, class’s about to start.”

 

~~

 

After eating, Sica and I head to our classroom to wait for our History teacher. Since our tables were next to each other, we turned our seats to chat a little more until the teacher arrives. Suddenly, our classmates turned silent so Sica and I turned to board to see if the Mr. Lee already arrived, but the front remained empty.

“Sunbae.” I my other side where I heard a voice. A box of chocolate was aligned with my eyesight. It’s the same chocolate I was eating during lunch but it’s packed inside a box, surely there’s a lot more inside. I followed up the hand holding it and end up in a familiar face. “You.” I uttered pointing at his face. “Annyeong sunbae.” He bowed but the chocolate box stayed in its position. As soon as he straightened up, he flashed me a bright smile. “This is for you sunbae, please accept it.”

Sica, who’s infront of me stood up and face us two. “Wow. It’s not White Day today, but you’re receiving a chocolate from…a guy… I haven’t seen before, huh?” Sica throws a look that seems an accusing one to me. I was about to open my mouth to tell her but the guy beats me to it. “Annyeonghaseyo. LuHan imnida. I’m new in this school and a freshman. Please take care of me sunbae.” And he bowed 90 degrees that made Sica chuckled. I’m just not sure if she finds it cute or amusing or..was it because of how he said it. Earlier, I noticed it too that even if he speaks fluent Korean, some of his words were mispronounced or sounds different.    

Luhan. The annoying freshman I encountered early this morning. I just told Sica not to remind me of it earlier but now he showed up himself once again. I rub my hand across my face and stood up. When he saw me, he trusts his chocolate box again on my side. “Please accept my token of thanks. I saw you eating these during lunch so I guessed you like this one. Thank you so much earlier for showing me around sunbae, now I’m hundred percent sure I won’t get lost.” He grinned. I hesitantly took the box from his hand and forced a smile. I already witnessed his stubbornness earlier, and I don’t want him to show it to me ever again so I just took it. “Xiexie—ah no, I mean kamsahamnida!” Then the freshman half-ran half-hop to the exit door. The moment he’s out of sight, my classmates turned to me, not that I care.

 

“So, who is he?” Jessica asked we she sat back down in our seats. “The one I just told you earlier,” I shortly replied. “The ‘annoying’ freshman, you mean?” she asks, making bunny ears gesture on the annoying. I nodded. “How is he annoying? He’s cute to me though.” Sica said and grab the box off my hand. “If I did not take that gift, he’ll probably annoy me nonstop and that’ll be the time for you to see it.” Jessica wasn’t listening anymore, she’s now busy opening the box.

“I thought we’re on diet?” I repeated the exact sentence she asks me earlier. Sica turns to me and smiled widely. “I am. But right now, I need sugar,” she answered, also copying what I just said earlier. “A lot,” she added as well, imitating my exact tone earlier. “Whatever.” We both laughed and shared the chocolates to our classmates.

 

 


 

 

“Hello guys~!” I greeted when I arrived on the corner of the basketball gym where warming up takes place everytime. “You’re late!” Yeol harrumphed and pouted, faking his irritation. “Well sorry, Mr. Park Chanyeol, because I went to the store to buy these!” I pulled my arm up and showed him a plastic bag full of bottled juice for everyone. “Oh well, you’re forgiven now. Just now.” he smiled showing all his teeth and slung an arm on my shoulder in which I immediately responded and shoved his arm off. Chanyeol likes to annoy me like everyone else but it’s just their way of keeping me alive and happy.

“Is this for us noona?” Sehun came to my side and took the bag from me before he looks on the content inside. Sehun is Kai’s closest friend although the latter is older than Sehun. He is the youngest in the team together with Tao of Class C of his batch. These two are the only ones we got from the now 2nd year level as no one else from the freshmen auditioned to be part of the basketball team and the senior batch already graduated. We only have Kris, Chanyeol, Kai and the two of them in our team but since it is enough to create a team, we managed to keep the club running. Most of the students were more interested in soccer that is why Jessica and the whole cheerleader group also stays with the soccer team.

Sehun distributed the drinks and he gave me one but I gave it back to him. “No, it’s just for you guys.” Sehun puckered his lips on the side, pointing somewhere so I followed it. “Give it to captain, I’m too lazy to go there.” I sighed and gave him a bored look. “Seriously, Sehun. You’re the laziest person I’ve ever met in my entire existence! Tsk.” Sehun shrugged cutely and went back stretching with the team. I grip the bottle he gave me and look back to the other side of the gym where Kris is sitting.

 

“What are you doing here all by yourself again?” Kris jolt a little upon hearing my voice. I giggled to myself because I find that cute. Well, all his reactions were cute for me. “Ah, nothing.” His voice, haven’t heard that for a long time. I admit, I really miss it, although we sometime talk on the phone about the team’s progress and stuffs. It still feels different hearing it directly. I walk closer and hands him his bottled juice, he took it then I sat next to him. Kris doesn’t mind the close distance whenever I sit next to him, sometimes he even pulls me closer when I’m sitting too far for him because he doesn’t like talking aloud.

 “What were you thinking?” Kris pressed his lips together and glance at me. “It’s been two years since I joined the team. Been a long time huh? Yet it seems short for me..” Kris glanced at me again before he continues “..for us.” For that mere second, I saw in his eyes, the sadness he was feeling right at this moment, even if his lips were stretched to a smile. “I was just thinking… what would happen when we graduate this year. Will this still exists?” Kris being the captain also knows my effort to keep the club when the principal decided to disband the team because they want to focus on the soccer team of the school. But me, as their manager, stands firm together with my team. We promised them to give better performance so that the school will be proud for us as well and that is why last year, we worked so hard but still failed to be recognized. But I’m proud that we’re growing and getting better each day.  

I reached out for Kris big hand holding the bottle I gave him and pulled his left hand on top of my knees. He looked at me and I look back with a smile. “Stop worrying, will you? I will find a good manager to replace me and I’m sure we can get new great players this year. We just have to keep working hard and keep our faiths. We will last, they will last, I’m sure of it.” I assured him with determination while locking his gaze on me.

“Manager! Stop seducing captain, we need to practice now.” Kai shouted from the other side. My face reddened, I’m surely blushing now so I quickly let go of Kris’ hand and lowered my head. Kai being one of the closest to me found out about my feelings for Kris and so, he decided to make my life miserable by teasing me about it every time. Luckily, the team doesn’t take his words seriously as Kai has a playful and naughty nature.  

I stood up and quickly turn around so he won’t notice my face. Now that Kai noticed us, I just noticed that I held his hand with both palm and was squeezing it earlier without realizing. It’s embarrassing, so I’m really hoping Kris did not give any meaning to it. I’m just comforting him right?

“Manager Lee.” Kris called, as if on reflex, I immediately turned back and my eyes widened when I almost collided with Kris’ chest. He was standing too close. I then felt a weight on top of my head. He placed his big hand on it, but it felt really light, he was patted my head gently. “Thank you, Yeonnie.”

Kris already left to join his team but I’m still frozen on my spot. He patted my head, knocks it and even hits it gently many times before when he’s happy or a little annoyed. He also thanked me multiple times in different occasions, even when I just hand him his eraser when he drops it. But… this was the first time he called me Yeonnie.

 

Just then, I felt my heart pounding in my chest again...for the umpteenth time.

 

 

 


Author’s Note:

So, I was bored today, and remembered this story. Kk

I sat on my study table after spazzing on LuHan outside my room where there is a Wi-fi signal then started writing, right after writing the last sentence, I glanced at the clock and saw the time. 11:53PM. OMG. >,< It simply means, I really enjoys writing LuHan that I lost track of time everytime. ^^

 

See you all again, next time. :)