04. Beginning

Summer Rain

A/N: Hi guys, I was just wandering around AFF and found this long-forgotten story kk so I’m dropping this. ^^

 

 

 

 

Why in the world am I here?

 

Right now, I am sitting on a rectangular wooden table with seven boys surrounding me. We were inside a cozy chicken place. I invited my basketball team to eat dinner together and later joined by two freshmen from the same school. Worst scenario is that I’m right beside the annoying freshie. It’s only the first day of school and I’ve already met him thrice! Seriously, did God place a magnet on our bodies? Why do I feel like wherever I go he will be there in a minute or two?

 

Our food hasn’t arrived yet so the boys talked to each other while we were waiting. I was listening quietly and I found out that these two freshie were Chinese. Well, that explains the evident accent and often mispronunciation of words. Tao is also Chinese and being the person who stayed in the country longer than them, he would sometimes help them translate words for our better understanding. I therefore conclude that Chinese people are really a lot! They are basically everywhere. Korea is a big enough country yet now I know 4 chinese people including my—well, Kris.

 

Meanwhile, I’m getting dizzy hearing two languages being spoken at a time. Kris would sometimes use English too when talking to Chanyeol—making it three languages. Urg! Kris could speak English very well as he was born in a native speaking country, Chanyeol on the other hand, just wanted to be as good as him. He wasn’t being competitive, he just doesn’t want to be left behind especially since they were—we were the oldest in this club. Also in class, Kris is popular because of his given looks and intelligence while Chanyeol need to work on both, so he tries his best to be in his level.  I’m also trying my best in English, thinking that it is a way to get closer to him, like being able to speak in a language that most people don’t understand seems really fun. But sometimes, I’d rather be left behind, so that he would volunteer to tutor me. For me, that is way much better, being able to spend some alone and intimate time with him.

 

 The freshies introduce themselves well to us and my boys immediately felt comfortable with them. Well, they were all easy-going anyway. They just always stick to each other since the club started, so they don’t have many friends. They were busy and contented with few true friends. That wasn’t from me, they told me that. I also feel the same, the reason why I only have Jessica and them. I consider these six people my family, in and out of the school.

 

 Few minutes have passed and my team started laughing. I think conversing with these two young guys were very amusing for them. Not just them, these freshies were also laughing at Sehun because he was trying to talk to them in Mandarin to practice what he learned last year and as of now, it’s still terrible even with Tao’s help. Sehun took Chinese class in our foreign language class instead of English. He actually chose it because he wanted Tao to use his language once in a while and in order to do that, he needs someone to talk to. He is just too sweet, isn’t he?

 

Kris is also Chinese but he was born and raised in America before moving here in Korea, so he didn’t get to practice his mother tongue. Kris is now taking French class just like last year while Chanyeol and I remained classmates even on that elective class, simply because we both want to be better on that language. Kai didn’t take any since it is just an elective class and doesn’t give scores, so he doesn’t care at all. He even told us the excuse that he’s very nationalistic hence, Korean is the only language he would want to learn and practice in his whole life.

 

  While everyone is talking nonstop, I and the person beside me, on my right, remained silent and just listening to the conversation they were having. He would sometimes whisper on my side commenting on their words but we really never interrupted or butted in the conversation. We just let them besides we’re too hungry to even talk energetically like them.

 

 Few more minutes after, the food finally arrived. We ordered different flavours because everyone has different likes and dislikes. Right after the waitress set down the buckets of fried chicken, I immediately took the garlic flavoured set. It is Kris’ favourite so I want him to have a piece before it disappears into thin air. Knowing Kai, he would just swallow everything without thinking of others. Sehun’s favourite is the cheesy one so I don’t see him as a threat. Same with Tao, he likes different flavours, but Chanyeol? he’s almost similar to Kai. I won’t take the risk. But Kai was too fast, he quickly grabs the other side, stopping me. I slapped Kai’s hand repeatedly until he let go.

 

“Noona! Why do you always let him have the foods first?” Kai complained.

“Kai, just let the captain have the first bite!” I retorted.

“Yeah right! Why is it always him? We’re on the same age, I deserve same treatment!” Chanyeol butts in to protest as well.

 

While we were arguing about the distribution of chicken wings, the freshie on my left side sneakily placed a piece on my plate. We all stopped to look at him. After he noticed the attention, he looked at us and blinked his eyes innocently. “What? You don’t like this flavour?” He then eyed the bucket I was holding for Kris. “Ah. You like that instead, sunbae?” Then he casually picked one from the bucket using his chopsticks and placed it down on my plate.

 

“What are you doing?”

“I just think ladies should always go first regardless of age.” That was his answer to my question. “And to think that she was the manager, doesn’t she deserve better treatment from her team?” he questioned the group. Sehun who was already drinking his cola, suddenly cough, spilling the liquid in his mouth.

“Yah! Gross!” Kai who was sitting beside him quickly scooted away from him while Tao gave him tissues.

 

I heard Kris chuckled to himself before he placed another one on my plate. “Yeah, he was right.” I turned to him, meeting his eyes. “We’re sorry. We just got used to always having you around, attending our needs.” I wanted to cry in joy but I shouldn’t. Kris said those words with such gentle eyes and his voice was so soft. It was so dreamy. “Thank you.” I mumbled and we started eating.

 

I was so touched at the moment that I even forgot to thank the first person who did that. I realized it too late and it’ll be awkward to talk to him when the matter is already over. I’m complicated. I know that, but I think humans are equally complicated. Kris was my crush since we were in our first year and we are friends now but sometimes I feel that he is so distant with me. On the other hand, this freshie I just met this morning, kept on talking to me. Not to mention he even delivered a chocolate in my room in front of my classmates! I was so glad that Chanyeol and Kris weren’t there at that time. They always go out every class break. Thank God.  Although I think he was just so innocent and being cute, being young and all, but still I think we’re complicated because I wanted someone’s attention and there’s another person who wanted to get my attention. We were like chasing each other’s tail. 

 

 

 

 

 

---------

Next day

 

 

 

“Hey, you know that’s it is my birthday next week right?”

“Of course, why would I forget my best friend’s birthday?”

“Well, I just want to make sure you’ll attend this time. I really do appreciate waking me up, surprising me and all, but I would appreciate it more if you were there on the party too to celebrate it with me!”

 

I remembered Jessica’s birthday last year, I just went to her house really early to surprise her with a cake at hand. She was so embarrassed because on the video her sibling took, her hair was so messy and she was even snoring before I woke her up. She was so happy at the surprise but she was so close to cursing me after watching the video and threatened to kill me if I ever post that in social media. I just don’t like parties and crowded areas so I didn’t attend the evening party on that day besides I got nothing to wear.

 

“I’ll try but I can’t prom—” Suddenly Sica grabbed my face, pressing my cheeks closer to my mouth. “I don’t want to hear that.” Her other hand’s index were pressed against the tip of my nose. “This is the only gift I will ask of you, okay? Be there!”

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

Today is definitely “forcing Jooyeon” day.

 

After class, Sica went somewhere to prepare for her upcoming birthday, I think she’s still choosing what to wear on her special day even though she already bought a dozen while I head to the auditorium right after saying goodbye to her, there’s a game coming up on the first quarter of the school year, so we have to practice starting today. And there, I was forced to agree on something again.   

 

“So what do you think?” Kris asked me after telling me what was happening. When I arrived at the auditorium, Sehun quickly pulled me to the club room located at the back. Inside, the two freshie we met yesterday were there standing in front of me and smiling. Well the one named Lay—I forgot his Chinese name was just standing and looking like a very gentle puppy while this Luhan was almost showing me all his teeth in his wide joyful smile. Apparently, my boys invited them to join our club. According to them, they invited them right after I left last night. I can’t stay late so I went home earlier than them. Kai went with me since he brought his motorbike and drove me home. He also lives in my neighbourhood that’s why we were grade school classmates before.

 

“Noona, although we badly want them in the team, we can’t just decide on this without your permission. You are the vice president of our club. Kris-hyung said it’s okay.”  Tao told me with an almost pleading look. I turned to Kris who was standing beside me, the other members were on the side. “Did you look properly on this? I mean are they really qualified?” Since Kris is the captain, we agreed that he’ll be the president of the club. I am already the manager so I can’t take up another stressful job. And because we were the ones who started this, they appointed us in these positions. Kris turned to me with his guilty smile. I just know his different smiles because I’m paying attention on him—too much attention actually. I rolled my eyes and face the two again. “it’s a no for me, I’m sorry this club is very important to us, it’s not a joke to me and—“

 

“oh com’on!” I jolted a bit when I felt Kris’ warm and big hand seizing my neck with his long arm. He pulled me closer to his chest and for a second there I wasn’t able to breathe. So close! “The club is important, that’s why we need new members, right?” Kris lowered his head to look at my face. “We accepted Sehun and Tao before too even if they are not that good.” I heard loud protests from the side about Kris’ remarks but he ignored them. “Why don’t we give them equal chance?” He winked at me after saying that. He freakin’ winked at me! How can I say no to that? Kris straightened up and loosened his hold on me, but his arm remained resting on my shoulder. “Besides, I heard they sometimes play basketball for fun, at least they have background and they can play. Isn’t that enough as qualification?”

 

I removed Kris arm off me—and rejected it right after—anyway, I was a little disappointed in him. “But Kris, we have a match soon! And we have a lot of games coming. We can’t afford to train new ones, especially those who doesn’t play seriously! We don’t have enough people, yes that’s true but we also can’t afford to sacrifice our last year here. I don’t want to waste our time!” Kris’ hand now landed on top of my head gently. “Yeon-yeon, I don’t think training them or spending time with these new boys is a waste time. Don’t you think it’ll be more memorable, besides we have to think of the future and for that, we have to sacrifice today’s time.” Kris pulled his arm back, tucking them on his pants’ pocket. Then he tore his eyes off of me and faces all the boys. “It’s already too late for Chanyeol and I, but it’s still early for them. Their win is also our win. Don’t you agree?”

 

“Hyung! I’m so touched!” Tao said, sniffling. “You cry baby!” Sehun commented. “But thank you captain.” Our youngest smiled at Kris. “Shut up you two.” Kris cleared his throat and faces me again. “So what do you think?”

 

They were all looking at me, waiting for positive response. Although I don’t want to accept them because looking at them they really don’t look like they’ll be a good addition to the group, but I don’t want to let down my boys..most especially Kris.

 

He is counting on me.

 

 

 

And he called me Yeon-yeon.

 

 

 

 

“Okay,” sighing in defeat.

“I help in training them.” I half-heartedly said.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author’s Note:

                I’m sorry it’s very short. I’ll try to be back, but that depends on you guys.

Drop comments about what you think of this chapter or your anticipations in the next updates. Then I will decide if I’ll continue more before life gets busy again. ^^