Six

The "Some" Relationship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary spends the next few days regretting his actions. It lingers on his mind, like an unpleasant memory he just cannot seem to forget. However, he admits that he had enjoyed it, and under other circumstances he would have allowed himself to think of it over and over again.

But he can't, because the look on Jihyo's face will never fail to make his heart shatter, until he struggles to remove her out of his mind. 

He hasn't told anyone, and no one has asked. The cast, except Dong Hoon, have been apprehensive towards the pair since the reveal, avoiding any mention of their relationship. They don't know the hidden relationship that he has been trying to form, one that might be impossible now.  To his credit, Ha Ha hasn't told them, and the less they know, the easier it will be during filming. 

The days past quickly without any mention from Jihyo, and soon it's Monday again. He's nervous about meeting her again, wondering if she had told anyone else. They have fallen out several times before, but with Yoo Jaesuk around, they know their places as professional members, and cannot afford to bring along their petty arguments on set. 

This time though, it's a whole new level. It's the first filming since the reveal, and the first since he last saw her. She may be an actress, but he knows that they cannot fool the people they are closest to. 

They are filming with Won Bin and Hyunwoo, two eye candies in hopes of better ratings. Usually he would feel jealous of those handsome guests, but he has learnt over the years that they are not her type. Still, with all that has happened, he worries twice as much. 

When he arrives on set, the staff are abuzz with the females gossiping about the guests. No one really notices him pacing around waiting for Jihyo to arrive. 

He knows she's still avoiding him when she comes in right on the dot, late enough to prevent the chit chat. What shocks him is her dark eye rings, evident from the lack of sleep, and he feels waves of guilt flowing through him. She wanders beside Kwangsoo, animatedly talking to the staff as her mike is being put on, the mask she's so carefully set hiding her emotions from the rest. 

He has underestimated her acting skills, because they start filming and she's able to joke around and pretend that all is well. He keeps a distance from her, which he recognizes as a mistake a little too late when Jaesuk comes over during a break.

"Anything wrong?" The nation's emcee asked with concern, eyeing Jihyo at the side.

"No, hyung." Gary forced a smile, and continued on. 

He doesn't know how to act when they play a game, and she's seducing him with her pouting lips, the same ones he kissed a few days ago. His heart hammers in his chest, nervously trying to decipher her actions. But with the cameras focused on him, he knows that he has to play the game the way he knows best: with the Monday Couple tactic. Jihyo loses, and then goes back to ignoring him, like the last few minutes never happened, like the last memory of them was nothing. 

And it hurts. 

It takes two consecutive weeks for him to realize that he has ruined it all; she's not intending to let him approach her. Filming continues as they rush to complete enough footage for the holidays, and the jokes stay the same. The pattern continues; she arrives late, and he leaves early. The other members are being quiet about it, but he sees their exchanges, their worried expressions. 

When they film the opening for Running Man's New Year episode, Jihyo reveals that he had asked her to date him for a month; a move that shocks not only him but the rest of the cast. The main PD freezes, and while the rest of the crew were kept in the dark, the atmosphere on set became tensed.  Gary only laughs, and the cast reacts accordingly before everyone notices. 

He holds onto that glimmer of hope though, continuing on even as they close the episode. He wishes that she would give him a chance to explain his actions, for him to gain courage and approach her first.

But as soon as filming wraps up, she leaves, her manager, the one he got her schedule from, looking away awkwardly. It was then when he realizes not only has he blown things up, but that it could never be the same again. 

It was over before it could even begin. 

They are a few days away from the reveal, and he knows that they cannot avoid it any further. But they are both stubborn, and he doesn't want to call her any longer, neither does she want to contact him. So he finds the glue of the members, the one who knows each member twice as much as the others, who is willing to do anything to help them.

"I'm guessing you haven't heard from her?"

Jaesuk sighed as Gary shook his head, stirring his drink as he started to think.

"Phone calls?"

"She ignored them all." 

The older man sighed again, watching Gary's face carefully. He looked like he had stayed up writing songs all day and all night, evident in the large bags under his tired eyes. 

"I can help you ask h-"

"No." Gary interrupted politely. "I can't let you interfere in our matters all the time." 

"Arraso. Her house?"

"I've never been there." He admitted. Despite him fetching her home, she had never invited him up, and he doesn't push it. "I don't think she'll take it very well."

"You have to talk to her before the reveal." 

Gary nodded, sensing the seriousness in Jaesuk's voice. Their confrontation was inevitable; they couldn't ignore each other forever, no matter how good of an actress she is.

"Hyung, I'm sorry for my rashness." He settles for an apology instead, afraid of going against the elder man's stand on professionalism. 

"Don't apologize, it's not about the show now. These few weeks have been hard on you." Jaesuk patted him consolingly on the shoulder, and he feels more comforted. Countless times has he understood why Jaesuk has deserved his title as the Nation's emcee, and it's during these moments when he feels even more grateful for being friends with him.

"But she didn't pull away?" Jaesuk questioned, a smirk on his face. 

"Nope." He smiled faintly, the kiss a memory away, embedded into his mind. He tries not to think about it, but this time he lets his mind wander back.

"I'm no expert on women, but I'm quite sure that means she likes you too." The teasing was back, and Gary couldn't help but grin widely.

"You're not the first."

"Oh, I know I'm not." Jaesuk smiled broadly, his playful self emerging. 

"Just don't let this go on for too long, ok? We've noticed the tension between you two, and if we can, it won't take long before the public does too."

Gary only nods, words failing him as his heart sinks even further at the mention of the public. Again, Jaesuk is right; when the audience gets hold of it, never mind his career, all of theirs are gone. Will it all be worth it?

So far, his answer is an astounding no.

D-Day.

It is the first thought in her mind when she opens her eyes.

She doesn't know what time she managed to fall asleep, but her sore eyes tells her it wasn't the night before but early this morning. 

Jihyo throws the covers over her, with the unstoppable feeling of dread empowering her. No matter how hard she shuts her eyes, sleep does not come, and the thoughts do not leave her alone. 

It's not the first rays of daylight that wakes her, but the ringing of her doorbell that does. It rings again, just when she convinces herself that it's a hallucination from the lack of sleep. She does not know the time; her dependable phone was switched off in fear of the messages and calls from those around her when the news comes out. She doesn't even think of looking at her wall clock, with the fear clouding her rational thinking.

Instead, she stumbles out of bed, lazily putting on a hoodie and tying her hair into a messy bun. Her mind comes up with all kinds of possibilities: that her mother decided to question her, or somehow the press has uncovered her house. She quickly deems both  options unlikely, for her mother had her house key, or she would call the intercom if she had too, and the press would never be, as ironic as it was, that stupid. But in her sleep deprived state, she doesn't rule it out entirely. 

It's not until she looks into the peephole that she is shocked out of her sleepy daze. Her visitor was definitely not from her two options, not even close. His all black ensemble and classic Leessang cap was a dead giveaway of his identity. 

Outside her apartment was Kang Gary, the last person she would expect on this day. 

Eyes wide, she stumbles away from the door in a hurry, making loud, noticeable noises. She holds her breath, but knows it's too late, he must have heard her. 

"Jihyo?"

His voice is muffled against the door, but she recognizes his voice. Immediately, her eyes stung. 

"Jihyo, please." 

She stayed silent, ignoring the tears that threatened to fall. 

Then, something pink slides under her front door, landing right in front of her. She bends down to pick it, unfolding a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter