Chapter 13 {interlude}

My Special Doll

Hello! As I stated in the foreward, whenever there is more mature content, I will write a message here as a quick warning. If you feel uncomfortable reading, it might be best to wait until the next chapter to continue. I'll hopefully be able to upload the next chapter soon

Warnings: torture, hearing voices, stabbing, character death


It’s been so long since she’d first heard these voices, the voices that told her to do things and made her do things. She originally had thought she was so strong, and she wouldn’t fall to the same thing that her mother did, or her grandmother before her. She wanted to be strong for her little girl. But she couldn’t stop them. They came for her the day she made her first doll, when she brought him home and took him to bed. Her lovely Ri-ri…she only had him for a day. The voices had hated him, saying he wasn’t right for her, and made her kill him. 

Her mother had been so angry. 

The voices demanded she bring home a new doll, a better one, but she was so afraid to. She didn’t want to kill another one; she didn’t like the blood that stained her hands and dress. Even now, she would sometimes see it dripping down her fingers, coating her hands. She just wanted to be normal, having a lovely doll by her side and going to school. She had been so excited to show her friends him too. 

Her mother wanted her to try again and bring a doll home, to keep this one alive. The voices demanded too. But she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to. 

It didn’t take long for her mother to discover she heard the voices too, and was devastated when she realized they wanted her to kill. 

“My little Eun-ji,” she said sadly, rocking her in her arms and kissing her brow gently, “I’m so sorry. I’m so, so sorry.” 

She refused to admit she heard the voices, she didn’t want to say she was the same as her crazy mother. She had always been ashamed of her mother, watching as she went into fits and would beat her for no reason. It angered her when her teachers and friends assumed she was abused, just because of that. She yelled at her mother to control herself, that she was embarrassing her, but it only made her mother angrier. 

“Everyone thinks you’re beating me! They don’t believe me when I tell them that’s just how you are… Why can’t you be like all the other mothers? Why do you act like this?”

“They don’t understand! They’re not like us. Eun-ji ya, you’re better than them, you’re better than all of them. They’re just waiting for you to make them your doll. They’re all just dolls!” 

“I don’t want to make them my doll! I hate dolls! I don’t want-” 

“Don’t you ever say that again! Dolls are your life! They’re our life!”

The next day her mother brought a man home, plopping his doll into her unwilling hands. “Eun-ji ya, this is Si-ri. He’s your new doll. Treat him well.” And without warning, her mother jammed a knife in her arm, ripping it out with her blood dripping all over the blade. She and the doll watched in horror as her mother colored the doll’s eyes with her blood, her mother smiling crazily as she held it up for them to see. “This doll is special. This doll is your very own doll.” 

Si-ri was a college student. Three years older than her, he was so handsome and silent, the exact kind of boyfriend she had always wanted. Her mother was right; this was the doll for her. The voices approved of him and wanted her to keep him all to themselves, not letting anyone even touch him. He was hers. Theirs. No one was allowed to come near him. They didn’t even want her mother touching him. 

Si-ri was a psychology student. He played all kinds of games with her, playing guessing games and number games. She liked being with him. Ever since the voices came, her friends had hung out with her less and less, saying she was different. They said she was scary. But that was okay, the voices didn’t like them anyway. They only wanted Si-ri. 

Si-ri went to school with her. His new name was Yoon Si-ri. He didn’t like having to go to high school again, and was angry. She didn’t like seeing him angry. She hugged him every day to make him smile.

Si-ri started to look at girls at school, talking to them during class and eating with them at lunch. She hated seeing him talk with them. He was hers. Hers. Hers hers hers hers hers hers hers hers hers hers HERS! The voices also grew angry, yelling at her to take him away and kill the people who took him away. Kill. Kill them. Kill them kill them kill them KILL THEM. 

She didn’t want to kill. 

KILL THEM. 

KILL THEM.

KILL THEM!

She took Si-ri away, wouldn’t let him go to school and locked him in her room. Her mother yelled at her, but she was tired of her mother. She wanted Si-ri. She didn’t want anyone to take him. She grabbed a knife, striking out wildly and demanded her mother stay away, ignoring her mother’s wide eyes and scared face. She ran inside her room, locking the door behind her with Si-ri on her bed. She ignored how scared Si-ri was. Si-ri was hers. She wasn’t going to let those take him away. 

He pleaded and cried, promising her he wouldn’t leave her, he would never go with those girls. He promised her he only loved her, saying sweet words until he got close enough to pull the knife away. She screamed and cried, the voices making her head ache as they demanded blood. 

KILL THEM.

Si-ri held her lovingly on the bed, holding her tight and rocking her. 

KILL THEM.

Eventually, she allowed Si-ri to leave, allowed the two of them to go back to school. It was almost like before the voices came; she would hold his hand as they walked and would eat together. She was happy. Her mother even left them alone, bringing dolls home and taking them to the basement. She wasn’t allowed in the basement, those were her mother’s private dolls, but she didn’t mind. She had Si-ri. 

She was so happy. So, so happy. 

Then it all got ruined. 

A girl kissed her Si-ri. 

They were hiding in an empty classroom, her pressed against his chest and his arms wrapped around her waist. It was a teacher. He was kissing a teacher. He was kissing her. The voices came back with a vengeance, screaming to kill them both. KILL THEM. She flew into a rage, beating the girl away, taking a chair and smashing it on her, intent on crushing her. KILL HER. KILL HER. KILL! 

Si-ri grabbed the chair out of her hands, trying to calm her, but she was beyond reason. She grabbed his doll and smashed it on the desk repeatedly, laughing manically when he screamed in pain. She left the girl and forced him home, pushing her mother aside as she threw Si-ri to onto her bed. He was still in pain, whimpering to her and begging her not to hit him. She didn’t want to listen. She didn’t want to listen.

He was hers.

She forced him to sleep with her. He cried on her the entire time, trembling as he kissed her all over. She didn’t like him crying, she dug her nails into his back, wanting him to stop. She held him so tightly, clawing into his back to get rid of that girl. She smashed her lips on his, them to try and get rid those girl’s. She wanted to claim him as hers. She wanted to make him hers. 

But the voices didn’t want that. They didn’t want him alive anymore. He wasn’t pure anymore. Si-ri was useless. 

She wanted him.

KILL HIM.

She wanted to live with him forever, letting him hug and kiss her. She wanted to see him smile and hear him laugh. 

“Eun-ji! Eun-ji ya! Open the door!” 

KILL HIM!

The voices were so loud; she was so tired of hearing them. Grinning so wide her cheeks hurt, she snatched the doll and shoved the knife right through, watching in fascination when Si-ri’s stomach ripped open on its own. His eyes shot open as he coughed blood, staring at her in shock as he attempted to mumble words. 

He was laughing with a girl, placing a hand on her shoulder.

He opened his mouth playfully as a girl placed a piece of kimbap in his mouth.

The teacher kissed him in that empty classroom.

“I promise Eun-ji ya…I’ll only love you.”

She ripped the seam apart, turning the doll inside out and watching as Si-ri’s body did the same. There was so much blood, it leaked all over and ran down the floor. It was everywhere. Her Si-ri. Her beloved Si-ri. She killed him. She killed him. 

She screamed as she stabbed the doll over and over again, crying out as his body jerked and jolted each time, his body ripping open. She killed him. She killed her beloved Si-ri! Her Si-ri! 

Her mother finally burst through the door, shrieking at the sight on her bed, the only thing recognizable being Si-ri’s face. She snatched the doll out of her arms, yelling things the voices wouldn’t let her hear. She grabbed her head, screaming as they commanded her to kill. No, she wouldn’t kill again. Never again. Never, never, never again. 

Her mother hid Si-ri’s body in the basement, holding her tight and crying, apologizing for not helping her. 

Two weeks later she found out she was pregnant. 

One month later her mother killed herself in the basement, right in the middle of the room so the dolls could watch. 

Two months later she brought home a new doll, playing and torturing the thing until she grew tired, stringing him up in the basement and looking for a new one. 

Nine months later she bore her child. 

She named her Saet-byul.

She was beautiful.