four

Strangers In Love

"Can you believe it's snowing so heavily already?" you mused as we trudged along what used to be a pathway before it was covered with a blanket of white. "And we actually missed the first snow."

I snorted, not something that I would usually do in front of you. "Why are first snows even important?" I questioned and shoved both my hands into the pockets of my winter coat. It was chillier than I initially thought it would be and I instantly regret not bringing a thicker coat for this Christmas date.

You stared at me, bewildered, as if I was from another planet and you had no idea what I was doing here. "That's because catching the first snow with someone you like is really romantic?"

I turned my head to look at you and it felt like the world stopped spinning for a second. You were busy kicking the snow out of your way and weren't even looking at me, but I thank god for that because I didn't want you to see what felt like a shocked expression that was on my face. That was the first time you ever verbally announced your interest in me and it felt really odd hearing it directly from you. Even though the most direct phrase wasn't used, you still said it in so many words. You liked me, you really did. And that was really comforting to know. 

I looked back on the pathway again and chose to say nothing, only because I couldn't trust my brain to come up with something witty this time round and I probably would sound like I got strangled because I realized I wasn't breathing for a whole of thirty seconds.

You stopped walking all of a sudden and said "We're here" just when I looked up at where we were. It was the cafe that was newly opened just a few months ago and I heard there was going to be a special Christmas gig this evening too. 

You opened the door to let me in first like the gentleman you always were. "Ladies first," you said, as I stepped into the warm cafe, grateful that we were finally escaping the cold in a nice, cozy environment. In a corner where the stage platform was located, a few young musicians were setting up their equipment for the special gig later that evening. You led me to a table that was by the window and relatively away from the crowd before you offered to get the drinks. 

"Vanilla latte for the lady?" 

I nodded with a small smile as I ped my winter coat to put it aside for the moment. 

While you were gone, I looked out the window of the cafe and pondered about what you said moments ago. I've never seen the first snow with someone before; I usually don't care about things like this. I never had anyone that special to share these moments with anyway.

So I sat there, in that few minutes, and started thinking about how it would be like if we were to walk hand in hand round the neighborhood and suddenly it starts snowing. It put a smile to my face just picturing the scene andt I didn't even realize you were already back with the drinks.

"What are you so happy about?" you questioned with a smile of your own, while setting the cups on the wooden table in front of us. 

"Nothing" was what I replied you with as I sipped on my piping hot vanilla latte, warming my hands and body in the process. It tasted extra good on a Christmas day spent with you, though I never thought I'd be here and neither did I ever dare dream that you would be here with me, sharing the cozy atmosphere together on this cold, cold day.

Once we're both done with our drinks and had talked about nearly all the things we could ever fit into a conversation that took place in a buzzing cafe, we went outside and you picked my hand from my side so casually I wondered if you knew what you were doing. I said nothing though, just because I could really use the extra heat on my right glove and I liked the feeling of my hand fitted perfectly in yours.

It wasn't until we were a good distance away from the cafe that you suddenly took a right turn as opposed to the left one that would have lead us to my place. I cocked my head to the side when you paused in your tracks in an empty alley between old bricks walls and turned to look at me with that sheepish expression that I've learnt to recognise when you had something to tell me. 

"What is it?" I questioned when you silently picked both my hands and held them together in your large ones. 

"Do you," you cleared your throat once and I stifle a laugh. "Do you, um, want to come to my place?"

Your place? I never imagined going to your place, ever. There probably wasn't a reason why I should. I mean, we weren't exactly really buddy-close, really, even though we often held hands and you would always never forget to make my insides do somersaults with a small kiss on top of my head. 

Okay, maybe friends don't do things like that. Maybe we're more than friends but you never said so and as much as I felt more from you, whatever we had was never confirmed.

I must be frowning at my own thoughts because I felt a finger poking at the space between my brows, smoothing the skin out. I looked down at our hands to notice that you were still holding both of mine, albeit with only one of yours. I looked back up at you and almost wanted to laugh at your expectant face, like me agreeing to go to your place would be the best thing ever. 

"Well?" 

Well, how can anyone say no to this handsome face? No matter how much you tried to hide your delightfulness when I finally agreed, it still didn't escape my eyes. Your footsteps became faster and there was a light bounce with each step you made, even in the ankle-deep snow. And soon we arrived at your place, a part of our town I've never been to. 

So that was it, that was how I spent Christmas with you. Just Hong Jonghyun and Kim Ahyoung. Alone. At the apartment that you, apparently and coincidentally, lived alone in. Things still weren't official between the two of us but surprisingly, I didn't care. All I cared about that day was that you and I, we spent the longest time together. 


Merry Christmas to all my lovely readers and supporters of Jjongah!
Hope you guys liked this little, romantic (I hope) Christmas special!

Oh, and if you guys have any questions about this story or about me, feel free to drop them in the comment box below and I'll be pleasured to answer them! :)
Have a jolly Christmas! xx