three

Strangers In Love

For days you have knocked on the door of my grandmother's flat, begging to see me and apologize. I don't even know what you wanted to apologize for; what happened at the ball the other night wasn't even your fault. 

From: Hong Jonghyun

I'm so sorry, Ahyoung. I shouldn't have left you; I promised. Please, see me?

Maybe. Maybe if you really didn't leave me alone, that wouldn't have happened. But it did happen and there's nothing we could do about it. The graduation night was over, senior year was over, high school was over and I could finally breathe and lead a normal life. 

But deep down, I know it's not okay. Because I still couldn't face the excruciating pain I felt everytime my grandmother knocks on my bedroom door and tells me you've been here and left only an hour after you arrived. Or everytime I looked out my bedroom window and watched your slouched back as you leave the building after yet another day of failure.

Perhaps that's the reason why I couldn't go out to see you.

"Ahyoung?"

"Yes, grandma?" I sat up straight on my bed as my grandmother stepped in and sat on the edge of it. 

"Are you ready to tell me what happened? That young man has been knocking on our door for two weeks now."

I didn't even realize that it has been two weeks, it just seemed long enough. But I hid my astonishment and shrugged, planning to play nonchalant with my grandmother for as long as I can. 

"I don't know, grandma. Everything's been so overwhelming..."

Nonchalance failed me as I ended up spilling the beans to my grandmother, maybe because I was dying to let everything out, and she just laughed at the end of my speech. "My dear," she said, "You're fond of this boy."

My grandmother was always so straightforward, it hurts to hear her honest remarks. She was never one to sugarcoat her words and this time was no different. How was she able to tell that I was fond of you when I don't even know it myself? 

"Grandma, I-"

"Don't try to deny it, my dear. I know when my precious grand-daughter grows comfortable with a boy. What you told me and how you told me only confirmed it." She smiled and the corners of her eyes wrinkled, an evidence of age. "You let him take you to dinner, buy you a nice dress, convince you to wear it and attend the ball with him. The Kim Ahyoung I know would never do that, not even over her dead body." 

She paused to move closer and smoothen the loose pieces of my hair. "Give him a chance. If you don't care, you wouldn't try to hide. If he doesn't care, he wouldn't come here every day trying to see you."

And another chance was what you got. 

When you came over near evening the next day, you finally got to see me. You took me out to the park round the corner of the block and sat me down on one of the unoccupied swings. The sun was retreating and the kids were probably all summoned home for dinner. 

You told me you were glad to see me and you kept apologizing over and over again. I squirmed on my swing and kicked on the sand each time you said sorry.

"Jonghyun, stop," I said. "It's not your fault."

"If I hadn't left you alone-"

"Stop it," I raised my voice by a small fraction. I haven't raised my voice in a long while. In fact, I don't think I did. "Just... stop, okay? It's not your fault. And I'm not  even mad at you."

"You aren't?" 

"Yes. I'm mad at myself, mostly, because I know I hated all those people back there but I let one of them do such rude things to me. If I had just stopped him..."

I shuddered at the thought of it and shut my eyes tight, shaking my head, as if shaking away the cloud of bad thoughts. But before I could open my eyes, I was enveloped in a warm embrace from behind.

"I'll never let bad things happen to you again," your muffled voice sounded in my ears. Your arms felt so warm and secure, I felt like I could trust you forever. I really want to entrust my everything to you, because you had that ability to let me do just that. 

"Thank you," I muttered.

We went home that night with smiles on our faces and our footsteps were a lot lighter to know that we have crossed the hurdle between us. No more misunderstanding, no more fear.

From: Hong Jonghyun

Goodnight, Ahyoung

To: Hong Jonghyun

Goodnight, Jonghyun

Things took a great turn from then on, though you still came by and helped me with my college applications and sent them out. We ended up applying for the same college in the next town, albeit majoring in different courses. I in art, and you in film. While waiting for the acceptance letter, you refused to let the time go to waste. 

From: Hong Jonghyun

Fancy to go on a date?

My heart leaped at the word 'date' but decided to keep my hopes down. I wouldn't want to expect too much; we still didn't know each other too well. 

To: Hong Jonghyun

Date? Sorry, I don't do dates.

I quickly became comfortable with the teasing phase of a friendship with you. Despite never having friends who would tease me in a nice way, I grew accustomed to your teasings and am quite fond of it. It made my heart fuzzy and weird all the time.

From: Hong Jonghyun

Oh, Ahyoung, you hurt my heart.

Oh Hong Jonghyun, I only hurt your heart but you don't even know half the things you do to me. I found myself letting out a small laugh and shaking my head but I set my phone aside for the moment and went to help my grandmother with dinner.

"You should invite the boy over for dinner some day," my grandmother suggested as she chopped up the carrots for the soup. My fingers that were reaching for the plates froze in mid air when I heard what the old lady said. How is it possible that she thinks it's so easy to ask you over for dinner?

"No grandma, I'm not going to invite him over."

"Why not? He seems like a decent guy. And the only guy you've ever met, if I have to put it frankly."

It was obvious the old lady was enjoying the moment; teasing me and what not. I've never even dared to dream that this day would arrive. But thanks to you, it did.

"Grandma!" I protested and collected the plates to set on the dining table behind us. I can't believe my grandmother was about to lecture me on boys. 

You were decent all right, but I wasn't too sure if I want to take our friendship to another level. Even though letting you meet my grandmother over dinner didn't seem like much, it sure meant a lot to my grandmother and me.

"Ahyoung dear, I know what you're thinking but you really have to start living your life. You met a nice boy and you're starting college soon, I believe this is a really good time to start afresh."

I remained silent and concentrate on setting the table and finishing whatever my grandmother had left before she could serve dinner. I know I haven't led the best teenage life ever and I also know that my grandmother was right. You're the only boy that showed interest in me and you're not a bad guy. I know I should give you a chance.

So when I was lying in bed that night, I picked my phone up again and saw the multiple text messages you sent me, all asking me why I don't want to go on a date with you and why I wasn't replying. 

From: Hong Jonghyun

Aw come on, Ahyoung. It's Christmas in a few days. 

To: Hong Jonghyun

Okay then, let's go on this Christmas date.


Aw, thank you so much for all the support on this short story!
As you can see, I haven't been updating for days because somehow I am still really busy even though it's Christmas break. I will try to update more often!
But on a side note, this short story is coming to an end really soon :(

Nonetheless, keep showing your support guys! I cannot thank you guys enough.