one

Strangers In Love

The first time I saw you, you were on the opposite end of the field. I was chilling with my headphones on during gym, well, because I couldn't play. And you, you were shining. 

We never shared any classes, and I would only see you on the rare occasions where we had combined gym classes. We never acknowledged each other, heck, we didn't even know each other's names. Until that one fine day where Coach decided to yell at me for listening to music during his class. I didn't even know what his problem was; I've been listening to music during his gym classes for two whole years. 

But somehow, you remembered my name and approached me during French class one Monday afternoon, asking me if I wanted to hang out with you over the weekends. 

"I don't even know your name," I said. 

"You'll find out my name if you turn up on Saturday," you said and slipped a piece of paper across my desk to me. You didn't even give me a chance to say anything and you just walked away. I wondered where you got your arrogant confidence from. 

But I turned up anyway, despite having so many reasons not to meet you. Like, "we don't even know each other! So what if he has a nice face." Or, "what if this is a dare? I mean, his friends look like the type to dare people to do this kind of things. And that equally picturesque friend of his caught me staring at him multiple times during gym." Or - okay, okay, I'll stop now.

I put on my best outfit which really wasn't even anything special, really. But nonetheless, you still told me I looked beautiful when you sat across of me after pushing in my chair for me. 

"I ordered ahead, if you don't mind."

I shook my head. Of course I didn't mind, the menu was probably filled with French words I don't even know how to pronounce because I wasn't paying attention during French class. French class was redundant, I didn't even understand why we had to take an elective language module.

And another thing I didn't understand was "Why me?"

"You're different."

"Well, I've heard that a lot. People always think I'm different just because my parents refuse to acknowledge me as their daughter." 

"That wasn't what I meant," you leaned forward and put your hand on mine. I flinched and you pulled away, realizing your actions. "I'm sorry," you said, just before the food arrived at our table. 

Somehow, you knew how I liked beef steak over fish & chips. How I want my steak medium-rare instead of well-done. How I preferred fries over coleslaw salad. How I liked soda more than tea. It fascinates me how you knew so much about me but yet you don't know me at all. 

We never spoke again though, throughout dinner and the stroll by the lake and the walk home. It wasn't awkward either. It was a nice, long, comfortable silence between us. And some old folks say, if you find the silence with someone, he must be special.

Special? How? I still didn't know your name and we were already within twenty feet away from my grandmother's flat. You were walking so close to me that our arms were touching. I could feel the heat from your arms through my sweater sleeves. I stole a glance at your face and your gaze was fixed straight ahead. 

I opened my mouth to say something but closed it again. I repeated it like a goldfish until we were finally at the doorstep of the flat. I closed my mouth again.

"It's Jonghyun."

"What?"

"I promised you'll find out my name if you turned up." you shrugged and a ghost of a smile touched the corner of your lips. I felt my lips curl up into a small smile too.

"Well, goodnight Jonghyun." 

You didn't say anything or move away. Instead, you just stood there for a good minute until you held my head with both your hands and leaned forward to kiss my forehead.

"Goodnight, Ahyoung."

With no time to process at all, I shut the door tight behind me and ran all the way to my room. I buried my face in my pillows and wondered what the hell that was all about. Hong Jonghyun, the very, very famous Hong Jonghyun from school, just kissed my forehead. And have I ever liked my birth name so much before?

I vaguely wondered, before I fell sleep, how on earth I was going to go back to school and attend gym classes and French classes (the only class we shared as of this year) without thinking about this night. How could I ever stop thinking about your company and your warm lips against my forehead?

Truth be told, the French class was terribly difficult to attend. It didn't help to know that you were sitting diagonally behind of me in class, with the prettiest (and tiest) girl of the entire school. 

I ended up deciding that I should avoid you for the rest of the school year, which wouldn't be too hard because there was just one more week away from graduation. Too bad your picturesque friends found me and noticed that I would shun away from your group whenever I saw you down the hallways or across the cafeteria or just anywhere.

"Please stop avoiding me," you said when you found me and caught me leaving through the back door on the last Friday of school.

"I don't know why you're avoiding me. Was it something I did wrong that night?"

"No," I replied, voice not exactly audible. I cleared my throat. "No, you were perfect. I was the one who was - is - inadequate. I don't even know why you're doing this when you could have any girl you want."

"You're right." 

That wasn't the reply I was expected but you always did unexpected things anyway. 

"I can get any girl I want but there's this one girl that doesn't seem too interested. I took her out to dinner two weeks ago but it seemed to have made her hide from me even more. I wonder why's that." 

I looked up at you and you were staring down at me with those mesmerizing eyes. How can anyone not crumble into dust under those eyes? Again, I didn't expect you to say that and it was... nice.

"Maybe because you're too good for her and she just isn't ready to be pulled out from the invisible zone." 

"Ahyoung," My birth name. "You were never in the invisible zone in my world."