Almost

Brand New Breeze
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was one day before the weekend and she received a bad news. Her mother had to leave earlier than expected and it was going to be a long trip that takes about 2 weeks. Hayoung didn’t say anything about it at all but accepted her mother decision. She was going to be alone for two weeks, in the middle of winter like this, which she was not that pleasant at all. Her mother said sorry to her and promised her that she will bring a lot of food when she back. Nonetheless, she sent her mom off and hoped that her mom would return quickly.

 

On the other hand, it was fortunate that Mrs. Wu was on her home. Hayoung decided to see her, and not going to spend the rest of her day being alone at home. She even planned to make her next 2 weeks as busy as possible until her mom return.

 

After she was done showering, she went upstairs to dress up. It was only 9AM in the morning and yet, Hayoung already felt bored. She couldn’t wait for tomorrow, when she was going to hang out with Hyemi and Kai. She really wanted for both of them companying her today, but Kai was busy with his new club activities and Hyemi had plans with her family. She felt slightly jealous on Hyemi, since Hayoung and her mom barely had plans together.

 

Hayoung looked in the mirror to check herself. She was wearing a pastel green sweater that reached her mid thigh and a legging. It was comfortable enough for her and thinking that she was just come over to neighbor’s home, there was no need to dress up too much. Well, she was not the type who paid a lot of attention with what she wore anyway. She grabbed her phone on the table and went outside.

 

The weather was colder than yesterday. It looked like the snow was going to fall in the night. She hugged herself and walked faster to Mrs. Wu’s home. She knocked the door and after few knocks, Mrs. Wu opened the door widely for her.

 

“Your mom was right. There is no doubt you will come to see me right away after she left.” Mrs. Wu chuckled as soon as she saw Hayoung.

 

Hayoung grinned widely at her and quickly went inside as Mrs. Wu gestured her to come in.

 

“No class for today?” Mrs. Wu asked as she watched her taking her shoes off.

 

Hayoung shook her head and tidy up her shoes to the side, “It was canceled. My lecturer’s wife is going to give a birth.”

 

“Lucky for the students.” Mrs. Wu chuckled.

 

“It is! You cannot imagine how boring his class is.” she remarked, “What are you doing now, omonim?” she asked.

 

Mrs. Wu gestured her to follow her to the kitchen. Hayoung followed closely behind. The sweet scents of the ginger, chocolate and mint immediately greeted her sense. She inhaled the sweet scents deeply and looked around to find the sources of it.

 

“What are you making? It smells delicious!” she walked towards the counter, just to saw the unfinished dough and other stuff.

 

“Cookies. I figured out that you are going to come here so why not doing something fun together.” She winked at her.

 

Hayoung jumped in happiness and looked at the messy counter in awe. The melting chocolate on the bowl really looked tempting for her. She was about to dip her finger inside the bowl but Mrs. Wu was quick enough to stop her.

 

She shook her head at Hayoung, “You are going to eat all of it, right?”

 

Hayoung grinned and withdrew her hand back as she rubbed her neck awkwardly. Mrs. Wu really knew her just like her own mother. Mrs. Wu flicked her forehead lightly. Hayoung and Mrs. Wu spent an hour to bake. Mostly, Mrs. Wu taught her how to make perfect dough. But it was pretty hard for a beginner like her and she ended decorating the cookies with chocolate sprinkles. Hayoung also helped her to set the cookies on the baking sheet.

 

“Put those to the oven, Hayoung-ah.” Mrs. Wu instructed her as she pointed at the oven. Hayoung nodded and put the cookies to the oven, “How should I set the temperature?”

 

“Here, let me—“ Mrs. Wu’s phone suddenly rung. “Wait.” She signaled at Hayoung. Hayoung nodded as she watched Mrs. Wu went to the living room to take the phone call. She finally dipped her finger to the leftover chocolates on the bowl and starting to enjoy the sweet treat. After 5 minutes, Mrs. Wu came back to the kitchen and set the temperature for the oven. Hayoung watched her closely on how to set it.

 

“Hayoung-ah, I’m sorry I have to go to the company now. Something’s not right.” She shook her head as she wiped her hands on the napkin.

 

Hayoung slightly disappointed at the news, she was going to be alone again today. But she could not being selfish. “That’s okay! It must be important.”

 

Mrs. Wu nodded, “I’ll leave the cookies to you. Don’t let it burn.” She chuckled and then walked off from the kitchen and heading toward her bedroom to change her clothes.

 

Hayoung started to put the dirty plates and bowls on the sink while waiting for Mrs. Wu. She threw away the leftovers to the trash bin as she was no longer had appetite to off all of the chocolates.

 

“Hayoung, I’m going! Call me if you need anything!” she shouted from the front door.

 

“Okay, omonim! Be careful on your way!”

 

Mrs. Wu seemed not to hear it as she heard a soft thud from the front door. Hayoung watched her go through the window. After that, she started to wash the dish on the sink.

 

*Bored.. Bored~ I am bored!” Hayoung screamed on her head. She wiped dry the last plate. The cookies were not baked enough, or even so she thought. Besides, she was also forgets to ask how long she was supposed to wait until the cookies fully baked. Hayoung sighed and walked to the living room. She decided to watch the TV while waiting for the cookies.

 

Meanwhile at the same time, Kris just woke up. He looked at the watch on his night stand, it showed 11 AM in the morning. He woke up pretty late though. Hanging out with Luhan and Tao surely could made him forgot about the time. Kris slowly sat up on the bed and ruffling his hair when he felt the sudden dizziness. He stayed in the same position for a while until he felt that he was strong enough to stand up. His stomach growled. It was the time for lunch. He put his hand over his stomach and with his half opened eyes, he opened the door. The sweet scents immediately greeted his sense as soon as he opened the door.

 

*Mom’s cooking again.* he sniffed the air once again and decided to went downstairs.

 

The sweet scents becoming inviting as he walked closer to the first floor. He titled his head to the kitchen, expecting that his mom would be there with her apron, but he didn’t see anyone there.

 

*Weird.* he rubbed the back of his neck.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter