Thirty

Lucky Seven (DISCONTINUED)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Young Kwang’s POV  

I tried not to sigh as I looked at Sun-ah behind her phone. “Do I really have to do this?”

 

She unconsciously pouted at me as her phone lowered. “But you already promised you’d do anything I asked…”

 

I argued, weakened by her pout attack already. “Technically, Sung Joon and Jong Suk should be the only ones doing this though since they promised, and they’re already done with–!”

 

“But… you said it’d be no problem…” she muttered. She even sniffled, since she had not fully recovered from her flu the other day.

 

The pout, that sniffle, and that slight flush on her face. This girl knows I’m weak when she’s cute and vulnerable like this–! “Fine. Record me…” I sighed.

 

She had the audacity to giggle. “Just answer the questions and look straight to the lens, okay?”

 

I grunted my assent, and proceeded to record the short interview thingy so Sun-ah could share it on the webpage with the rest of our recordings. She introduced us to this webpage so she could openly record our daily activities that were apparently ‘exclusive’ and ‘high-quality content’ for our fan girls. She even revealed that the first video of Soo Hyuk she had uploaded there garnered a lot of popularity so the other fan girls were thirsty for more. She resorted to record us all since the lot of us came over to her place more often these few days to make sure she (1) does not sneak off to work while recuperating, (2) does not go to that ridiculous MMA Club when the President himself demanded her to stay at home, and (3) does not attempt to skip her meds just because ‘they were too bitter to swallow’.

 

“Hello, Kim Young Kwang-shii! I hope you’re having a good day!” she greeted me with a bright voice as soon as she started recording.

 

I smiled as I waved to the camera. “I was having a good day…”

 

Jae Hyun walked past me while typing on his phone, shamelessly entering the frame and audibly muttering, “He was, until he had to be interviewed.”

 

Catching Sun-ah’s frown behind her phone, I waved it away. “It’s okay, really! I don’t mind being interviewed.”

 

“You’re just trying to get yourself more fan girls, Young Kwang-ah!” Sung Joon shouted from where he lazily sprawled himself on Sun-ah’s bed with her guitar next to him.

 

Jong Suk gasped next to him as he hollered with a fake French accent. “J’accuse! You liar!”

 

Sun-ah let out a slight chuckle. “It’s okay, girls. I’m sure we all know that Young Kwang is honestly nice.”

 

I could only manage an awkward smile as I tried to focus on the lens and not let my eyes stray to the person holding the smartphone. “You said you were ready with a set of questions for me?”

 

“Yes! We have some popular questions that a lot of us wanted to hear answers from you. Ready?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Okay! First of all, if you were stranded on deserted island, which of your friends would you bring and who would you not bring with you there? State your reasons for your selection,” Sun-ah added as an afterthought.

I narrowed my eyes at her. “Smart of you to add that last part,” I chuckled as she playfully winked at me. “I would definitely bring either Jae Hyun or Jong Hyun with me because they’re resourceful, and work together well with me so we could survive…”

 

“And who wouldn’t you bring…?”

 

I scrunched my nose as I came to a decision. “I wouldn’t bring Jong Suk with me because I couldn’t bear to let him suffer with me if we ever found ourselves on a deserted island. He’s too precious, you know?”

 

Jong Suk went “Awwwwwhhhh!” at that.

 

I heard Woo Bin mutter with a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth, “Then what are we all, chopped liver?”

 

The other boys laughed good-naturedly.

 

“Aww, that’s sweet of you! Moving on, tell us your ideal type of girl.”

 

I genuinely had to look away so my eyes wouldn’t betray me and look at Sun-ah longer than necessary. “I guess… my ideal type is everyone else’s ideal type. I need someone who would love me as much as I love her.”

 

Everyone in the room, including Sun-ah, started to go ‘Ooooooohhh!’ at me, that made me feel myself blushing.

 

“Okay, I’m done! This is actually more embarrassing than I thought!” I trudged up to her and tried to cover the lens of her phone.

 

“H-Hey!” Sun-ah slapped my hand away, and pointedly said, “We have one more question!”

 

I sighed and covered my face with both my palms, willing it to stop reddening. “Go ahead,” I said with a muffled voice.

 

“Alright, this is another situational question for you. Say you come across a girl – could be a friend or a stranger – who was crying because she just got herself heartbroken by a guy, what would you say to console her?”

 

I imagined having to console a crying Sun-ah, and a fond smile easily came to my face. “Chin up. There’s plenty of boys in the world, so don’t be sad. He probably doesn’t deserve you in the first place, anyway.”

 

“And with that sweet, sweet answer, it’s now the end for our short interview with Kim Young Kwang-Shii! Thanks a lot!” Sun-ah waved at me from behind her phone as a sign of goodbye for the video.

 

I copied her and sent another smile before she stopped the recording. She beamed and darted straight to her laptop on the floor to edit and upload the video.

 

Jong Hyun looked up from his History notes, sticking his pen behind his ear. “I didn’t think you were the type to be romantic, Young Kwang. I thought you were more of the brusque type in a relationship.”

 

I rolled my eyes at him as I sat next to him and continued to finish my Math homework.

 

Soo Hyuk, who sat right across from me with the novel for our Korean Literature class spread open on his lap, muttered as he turned a page. “I think the brusque type is actually you, Jong Hyun-ah.”

 

Jong Hyun accidentally made a hole into his notes with the nib of his pen. His face reddened as he sputtered, “I-I I a-am not the brusque type!”

 

I shook my head as I solved one Math question and moved to another. I heard Sung Joon and Jong Suk snigger from Sun-ah’s bed, Woo Bin leaning on the bed side was furiously nodding away as he bumped fists with Soo Hyuk.

 

Jae Hyun joined us sitting in a circle on the floor with a bag of potato chips in his hands, after he raided the snacks we left on the small kitchen counter. “You so are, kid,” he mumbled with a look that said, ‘Accept the damn fact, already.’

 

All of a sudden, Sun-ah joined our conversation. “Honestly speaking, I don’t think Jjong-ah’s the brusque type though. He’s shy, I’ll give you that, but never brusque.”

 

Sung Joon snorted. “How would you know?”

 

She rolled her eyes. “Because I’m the one in a supposed relationship with him, you .”

 

Suffice to say, there was a collective ‘Ah, of course…’ in the room.

 

Jong Suk pouted as he made his way close to our circle to grab a couple of potato chips. “But your relationship is not even real…”

 

Sun-ah shrugged, “Fine, I accept that, but really… I think whoever is gonna be his girlfriend is in good hands.”

 

My eyes caught Jong Hyun blushing furiously as he tried to bury his face into his notes at the moment. He mumbled, “You don’t have to say that. Technically speaking, you are still my first girlfriend.”

 

Sun-ah beamed and scooted closer to peck him on the cheeks. “The pleasure is mine, Jjong-ah,” she said, and then went back to her seat.

 

There was a round of protest from the rowdier boys; demanding kisses from her (Sung Joon and Jong Suk), chastising her for torturing us poor boys (Jae Hyun), or just quietly stuffing their faces with more ice cream to keep their mouths from running (Soo Hyuk and Woo Bin).

 

She rolled her eyes at them and wore her earphones to plug the noise out. The boys continued to rant of course, since they did not care if she blatantly ignored them at the moment.

 

I was used to that small jab of pain in my heart when she displayed anything remotely affectionate with the other boys, so I easily ignored it and just slid closer to watch her upload the video on her laptop.

 

Once the upload into the webpage was in progress, I was astounded by the amount of likes and visits to the page. “We have th-that much?!”

 

She nodded, while taking out one side of her earphones. “Unbelievable, right? I had to be an admin to believe it myself,” she giggled and showed me some other interesting things on the page like a lot of ship theories between the seven of us, the fanfic section, and even some photos of us from school activities.

 

“I don’t know whether to feel impressed or completely creeped out,” I mumbled as I scrolled though some high-resolution photos of us during the sports meet from last year.

 

She chuckled understandingly. “But you see, since they could not find your social media accounts, these girls are starving for your more personal and casual photos and videos. Heck, even I don’t follow your social media accounts!”

 

I shrugged as I showed her my (dusty!) social media account on my phone. “I’m not really active, since I don’t really feel like posting anything most of the time. If you look at the photos, they’re either these idiots, my family, our dog and nothing else.”

 

She frowned. “You even set it on private, too.”

 

“It’s only for close friends and family, so…” I shrugged.

 

Sun-ah asked the others. “Are all your social media accounts private too?”

 

Most of them muttered their yeses except for the two quiet ones, Soo Hyuk and Jong Hyun.

 

Jae Hyun grinned. “We think that Soo Hyuk here made an account, but forgot his password and lost interest in social media completely. As for Jong Hyun…”

 

Sung Joon piped in, “We think he actually has one, but he doesn’t share it with anybody. Literally, anybody.”

 

Sun-ah tried to stare down at the two, but failed when they both maintained their gazes with a straight face. “One day, boys. One day,” she whispered that promise as she typed her username on my search button for me to follow. “There, that’s my account. What kind of friend would I be if I don’t even know your social media lives, hmm?”

 

I felt my lips stretch into a smile as I simultaneously grabbed my phone from her hand and leaned in to kiss her cheek. “Thanks. I’ll follow you first so you can follow me back.”

 

The boys groaned their protests at what I did, but soon stopped when they started checking out Sun-ah’s social media account on their own phones.

 

“Aww! You look a bit chubbier here when you were in your previous school, but gosh, you’re still so cute!” Jong Suk squealed at his phone.

 

Sung Joon showed a photo of Sun-ah with mid-length hair and bangs, probably from when she was in middle school. “I’d like to see you with this hairstyle now.”

 

Sun-ah stuck out her tongue at him. “No way.”

 

I noticed that Soo Hyuk peered over Woo Bin’s phone as they scrolled through her posts together. “This looks nice,” Soo Hyuk commented on a silhouette photo of Sun-ah and her younger brother facing the sunset at a beach.

 

Woo Bin shook his head and pointed to a photo where Sun-ah and her brother were smiling wide and their eyes disappeared. “I think this one’s nicer.”

 

Jae Hyun doubled over in tears as he played back a short clip of Sun-ah screeching excitedly while holding a horseshoe crab. “You sounded so hysterical, I think you scared the poor thing!”

 

Sun-ah frowned. “It was my first time at a fishing zoo, you know…”

 

Maybe it was because I was the first to see her profile, but I noticed a simple photo of her with a younger boy. I noticed from the date it was posted that this photo was way back when she was in middle school, so I had to ask, “Who’s this?”

 

“Hmm?” she scooted closer and immediately her smile faltered.

 

The other boys did not see it, but at that moment, I somehow knew that this boy was one of her two ex-boyfriends.

 

She tried to smile again, but I noticed the smile did not reach her eyes. “Just an old friend. I don’t know what he’s doing these days.” She then heaved a quick sigh and turned to her laptop. “Ooh! The video’s already uploaded and the comments are streaming in!”

 

The boys piled down around her to witness the actual fan-girling culture, while I moved aside to examine the photo with that boy more closely. It was useless, since the photo was not in high resolution. I tried scrolling down to see if she posted more photos with him, but I could find none.

 

I went back to that one photo and noticed the caption she posted with the photo of them loosely holding hands. ‘I’m the moon and you’re the sun; so let’s keep chasing each other day and night, Jae Won-ah.’ I felt bitter looking at that photo. How would Sun-ah be like as a girlfriend? Would she go the extra mile to be sweet and be more open to touching and kissing? How would it feel like, knowing she would save you a different smile from the way she smiled at everyone else? I found m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter