Twenty Eight

Lucky Seven (DISCONTINUED)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kim Sun’s POV

 

My eyes flitted from one end of the dinner table to the other end. At one end, stood Jjong-ah with his fists clenching and unclenching. On the other, stood his father, nostrils flaring and eyes zeroed onto his son. The rest of us who sat in between were clueless as to what to do, the women in Jjong’s family and the rest of the gang included.

 

I sighed inwardly. How did the night turn out like this?

 

After we had the pleasure of meeting Jjong’s parents and grandma at the school festival, they immediately invited us over for dinner. As in, they wanted to get to know ‘the charming lady who stole our son’s heart.’ At first, I was ready to bail because shaking hands with his old man literally made me quake in my shoes. Then, the rest of the boys magically appeared out of nowhere and with enough persuasion from Jong Sukkie’s charming self and Young Kwangie’s confident smile, the boys got invited to the dinner as well.

 

Since it was already a weekend, we agreed to come over on the next weekend so we could recharge and prep ourselves. Or rather, the boys could prep me up for the whole week. With the effort from the whole gang, they made me memorize every little fact about Hong Jong Hyun and his family; Jjong-ah’s favourite hangout place, his dad’s annual income, his mother’s list of favourite K-actors and even his grandmother’s secret love for patbingsu! It almost felt like a Spartan training, with Young Kwangie quizzing me during our shifts at the bookstore and Jae Hyun shouting out random questions whenever we both hung out at my porch. Even Soo Hyuk who was usually lazy would suddenly tug at my hair in class just to ask me all the fun facts about Jong Hyun as if he didn’t know about them himself!

 

Not only that, I also somehow gathered the support from the girls. Da Young was especially helpful, listing out all his habits and likenesses that she and his other fangirls had observed. As someone who had become the girlfriend for someone they idolized, I was surprised that Jjong’s fangirls were actually nice to me. No one antagonized me at all wherever I was, in school or outside, and sometimes I would find little notes stuck under my locker wishing me lots of luck with the relationship. When I told this to the other girls, they refused to enlighten me because they said if I dated with any of their boys, they would have accepted it too.

 

Since it frustrated me so much, I decided to ask the boys in the MMA Club. I was still not on talking terms with Hyun Jae-sunbae, but he was still being civil around me. I did not want to talk about it with Rome because I was scared he might want to bring up the silly tarot card reading we did at the school festival. So I was left with the others, whom I cornered right after the cooling down session.

 

I sat down with them in a circle, with Maru on my right and Jun on my left. Ray was on Maru’s right and Siwoo sat next to Jun. T.K sat right across from me in that small circle.

 

“Thank God Rome can’t make it today…” I muttered as I warily eyed Hyun Jae-sunbae who stood a few feet away from us.

 

Maru nudged me, with a cute pout on his face. “What’s this about, Noona?”

 

I got right down to business. “Well, I have a question that I asked people around me to answer, but somehow they won’t. I have no idea why, by the way,” I muttered the last part with a roll of my eyes.

 

Ray, who kindly offered me a bottle of water to which I accepted, just grinned as he wiped the back of his neck with a towel. “Ask us away, then. Don’t be shy.”

 

I nodded. Well, here goes. “You know how I’m friends with… those seven guys’ fan leaders, right?”

 

They all smirked and nodded at me. Jun was shaking his head, “I still don’t know how you do it, by the way, but please go on.”

 

“Welllllll… The other day, I asked Da Young – the leader of Jong Hyun’s fan girls – if it’s really fine for me to date him. She said that at first she would be upset – in which she was – but then she said it’s just fine. When I asked the other girls, they also said they wouldn’t mind if I had dated any of their so-called biases…”

 

As I dragged on my situation, a wave of understanding dawned on their faces. Even Siwoo who was usually preoccupied with his phone had sighed and reached out to pat me on the knee, “So you’re wondering why they’re thinking that way?”

 

“Exactly!” I showed my frown as I bared my thoughts. “I mean, I thought these girls loved the boys so much. Why did they decide to let go of them so easily if that’s the case? I mean, it is healthier for the girls this way – am I glad to be part of making them not so engrossed with a boy! – but… it got me thinking about love.” I mumbled.

 

T.K crinkled his nose in confusion. “Wait, what?”

 

I groaned as I tugged my messy hair out of its hairband, and left the blasted thing lying behind my back. “See, when I first met these girls, all I could hear about was how much they would die just to be able to hold hands with them. How they couldn’t wait to run into them in the hallway just to catch a glimpse of the boys, or how they did their best to be in the same club as the seven boys. And now… they’re just letting go?” I let out an exhausted sigh after that rant. “I guess… I expected more from that thing they called ‘love’, ya know?”

 

Right before the boys in the circle could respond to me, I felt someone tie up my hair for me and a low chuckle sounded. My whole body froze on the spot.

 

“You are a real doll, Sun-ah. You never fail to surprise me every time.” It was Hyun Jae-sunbae’s voice, and I could feel all sorts of shivers travel up my spine as he tied my hair neatly. The notion was pretty intimate, but none of the other boys commented on it.

 

The boys made more space for him to join the circle, and he took Jun’s place on my left. He cleared his throat as he bore his beautiful golden eyes at me. “See, as sweet as you are for having those pure thoughts, I believe I see the point from the girls’ view.”

 

“No,” Maru shook his head as he leaned his chest to his knees. “I think we all see it. Only Noona doesn’t see it.”

 

Hyun Jae had a wry smile on his face. “You have to understand, Sun-ah, that you are different from the typical girl here. You are a strong character, who befriends everyone and anyone for the sake of being friends, and you also look past people’s looks. You always insist on taking care of yourself, and you always work hard but make it look effortless simply because you’re enjoying yourself. Heck, I could even bet you became friends with those bastards not because of their looks, but because you saw something else in them. You literally have both genders admiring you in this school, where the girls wish to be like you and boys want to get to know you. To tell you the truth, all of us here in the club had – and probably still have – some sort of a crush on you ever since we’ve met you.”

 

That made my eyes widen as I looked around for confirmation. The boys were blushing openly, but none of them denied it. Wow… That is flattering.

 

Maru beamed as he hugged my arm. “It’s for the same reason that I love you so much, Noona!”

 

I was sure that my face was already crimson, but I think it went three shades darker.

 

Hyun Jae-sunbae sighed. “The reason why those girls feel it’s okay if you dated any of those boys is exactly because… it’s you. Kim Sun. If it’s you, then it’s fine. Because they would just be happy to see the one they love happily enjoying himself, being in love with someone who loves them back. And seeing you when you have a good time with those boys and being all happy…” his gaze melted a bit at that, but sunbae continued with a sincere smile that I had not seen on his face for a long time, “Would definitely make them happy too. You’re just that special, Sun-ah.” Hyun Jae-sunbae squeezed my hand.

 

“Sunbae…” I was actually ready to say something witty, but somehow it all was stuck in my throat that was overwhelmed with phlegm and feelings! I immediately covered my teary face with both of my hands, pushing Maru away and inviting snickers and jeers from the boys.

 

“Awwwwhhh! She’s crying,” T.K was making baby noises at me as he pried my hands away from me face.

 

Ray joined in his fun too, teasing me whenever he glimpsed my wet and red face. “Oh! I see a wet tomato face here! Need a towel?”

 

“Yah, yah! Be nice to my Noona, hyungs!” Maru scolded as he slapped the stray fingers pinching my face.

 

“Oh psssh! She’s not only your Noona! She’s ours too!” Siwoo poked a tongue out at the maknae.

 

Jun just sighed. “At least now it’s all cleared out that we all have this crush on you, Sun-ah. I mean, imagine how awkward it would be if one of us actually confessed to you first, eh?”

 

The boys laughed out loud at this. All of them did except for me, who froze from wiping my tears, and the president, who choked as he was drinking from his water bottle.

 

Suddenly there was an ice, cold silence filling up the Rec Room 3 as the boys had scary looks on their faces.

 

They took one inquiring look at me, each of them literally shouting their questions from facial expressions alone. I sniffled, as I motioned towards Hyun Jae-sunbae. “Don’t ask me, ask him!”

 

Their heads whipped around to the president, who was slowly getting up and stepping away from them. The boys followed him, like a whole pack of predators automatically rounding up their prey.

 

It was certainly refreshing to see the intimidating third year being scared for once, so I savoured the moment as much as I could. Sunbae had his hands lifted in the air, as a show of surrender, “Now, boys… You gotta understand. I was not thinking rationally, and it was a spur of the moment thing–”

 

Jun narrowed his eyes. “Sure it was, but you just had to grab the chance, huh hyung?”

 

Hyun Jae-sunbae visibly gulped. “Well, I admit that I did, but you would’ve done it too–!”

 

Maru was flexing his knuckles. “You kissed her on the cheek first, and you confessed to her first. Haven’t you had enough, hyung?”

 

Sunbae could somehow afford a scolding look at him. “Hey, I am older than you by two years–!”

 

T.K growled. “You should be grateful that Rome-hyung isn’t here now. But I think five against one is enough. Right, boys?”

 

They all muttered their assent. Dark looks were still sent towards Hyun Jae-sunbae.

 

Desperate, sunbae looked at me. “Please…?”

 

I waved at him as I gleefully shouted. “Start running now, Sunbae!”

 

And when he finally took off, the boys hounded on him like a pack of hungry dogs.

 

That was about the only relieving episode of the whole week. The rest were all filled with more prepping sessions towards the weekend dinner. Too often that I caught Jjong throwing me sorry looks and he would start apologizing for putting me under this pressure, but I would just brush it away and just slap my hand over his mouth.

 

When the awaited Saturday came, I was already anxious from the moment I woke up. I made sure that I specifically ended my busking slightly earlier in the evening so I would have time to go back home and take a refreshing bath. As scheduled, Jong Sukkie and Young Kwang would come over to my house to make me look nice enough ‘to meet the in-laws’.

 

“I understand why you’re here, Jong Sukkie,” I started as I let Jong Suk straighten my hair, my own hands fiddling with my white tiger plushie. I frowned as I pouted at the only boy in the room who snickered away as he recorded me on his phone, “But why is Young Kwangie here too? He’s not even helping me pick out my clothes or anything!”

 

“For documentation, of course!” Young Kwang guffawed. “Plus, it’s not everyday we get to see you all dolled up.”

 

I poked my tongue out at him as I defeatedly pouted at Jong Sukkie.

 

Jong Sukkie sent me a scolding look, “Now, now. No more trying to make yourself look cute and get out of this. I’ve been dying to have a chance of beautifying you, so put that pout away before I ask Sung Joon to kiss you.” He taunted me as he expertly straightened the last lock of my hair, and carefully let them fall over my shoulders. “I love your hair, by the way. It’s so soft,” he added with a cute smile.

 

“Yah, yah! You just told me that I can’t make myself look cute, but you-!” I poked his arm.

 

“I never said anything about myself, pabo,” Jong Sukkie playfully pinched my nose. He then cleared his throat, “Now! I myself am having a proud moment rght now because I finally – FINALLY! – get the chance to give you the makeover you deserve!”

 

Somehow that stung me a bit in my chest. “Are you saying I’m not good enough in terms of looks?”

 

Apparently seeing me dejected was enough to make Young Kwang put down his phone and Jong Suk to drop the foundation bottle in his hand as they both cried, “NO!”

 

I was crestfallen. It amazed me really. I didn’t think I was one to easily get wounded about my looks. Apparently I’m wrong. “So I’m not good enough…?”

 

As if by reflex, Young Kwang swatted Jong Suk in the head – earning a protesting pout from Jong Sukkie – as he then literally grabbed my face with both of his hands and forced me to look at him in the eyes.

 

“Yah, Kim Sun. Don’t you ever, ever feel that you’re not good enough for anyone no matter what the case. You’re a beautiful human being, inside and out, you hear me?”

 

Jong Sukkie then shoved him away and grabbed hold of my hands so I could look at his sad puppy eyes. “Yeah! The concept of makeup and wardrobe change only works for outer appearances and impressions. You can dress up like an angel and still have the heart of the devil. You are nothing like that, Sun-ah. You’re more than just good looks.”

 

I felt blood rushing to my cheeks. Aww shucks! Why’re they being all sweet to me? I violently pushed Jong Sukkie as I buried half of my face into my white tiger plushie.

 

Young Kwang nudged me playfully as he cooed to me like a shy baby.

 

“Jeez, guys…” I grabbed the closest foundation bottle to me and motioned to Jong Suk, “Let’s just get this over with.”

 

By the time it was done, I was in awe as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. It was the first time in my entire life that I ever had full makeup on me. It was definitely a light and natural look, and Jong Suk managed to highlight my facial features as they were and made me look… well, pretty.

 

All the little acne scars were perfectly concealed, and the foundation he used blended in with my natural skin colour. He did not need to draw my brows as they were already full, so Jong Sukkie kept them neat and aligned. The simple black eyeliner was enough to accentuate my crescent-like eyes, especially when I unknowingly smiled at my reflection. There was also a light dusting of pink blush on my cheeks that made my complexion look rosy and fairly innocent. The lip tint that he used were also the perfect shade of pink that made my lips look healthy and moist. Couple the makeup look with my straightened hair that went all the way to my elbows and an empire-waisted dark blue dress with the hem that ended two inches under my knees, it was definitely the most girlish look I had ever worn in my entire life.

 

Jong Sukkie had a proud beam on his face as he then slowly stood behind me – facing the mirror too – and gingerly held me on my bare arms. Young Kwang had long stopped recording my transformation on his phone, he was just blatantly staring at me through the mirror with wide eyes and open lips.

 

Jong Suk whispered to my ears as his hands rubbed over my arms. “This is what happens when you let me bring out the beauty in you, Sun-ah. You look amazing.”

 

It was hard to catch, but I also heard Young Kwang breathlessly mutter under his breath, “She is beyond amazing.”

 

Feeling more blood rushing to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter