Guilt.

Beneath The Surface

I trudge my way home in silence, my mom is going to be mad. What do I care though? I get home and enter the doorway.

"SANDARA PARK GET IN THE KITCHEN NOW!" I follow my mother's voice into the kitchen where she paces furiously. I am afraid of making eye contact so I stare at the floor.

"Starting fights Sandara? What has gotten into you? You weren't like this before! You told the principal you were being bullied why didn't you tell me?" My mother stares angrily at me.

"It had nothing to do with you! I handled it ok?" 

"Handled it?! Sandara you are grounded! Say goodbye to hanging out with Minzy!" I laugh, Minzy doesn't even like me anyways..

"What's funny? Go to your room!" I walk to my room and flop on my bed. I lay down staring at the ceiling. How did life get so crazy? What was it Chaerin had told me...? That she envied me? Why is that Chaerin, is it because I'm much smarter? What do you want from me? I confuse myself with so many questions. I turn the lights off and listen to cars outside pass my window. Slowly I fall asleep, it feels like I slept 5 minutes before I get up again. It's saturday, a free day but I unfortunately have to go to school for my punishment. I arrive to school and enter the detention room. 

"Ah welcome Sandara, you will be cleaning classrooms as a punishment for your behavior" The principal hands me a bucket with cleaning supplies.

"Also, you will be joined by Chaerin" I give him a look of absolute horror.

"You two have problems to work out this is a good way. No fighting! Or the two of you will not be able to walk at graduation, I'm serious!" The principal walks out and Chaerin walks in. Chaerin is once more dressed in all black attire and black sunglasses. I immediately notice Chaerins purple tinted lips and a black/bluish bruise on the side of her face.

"Hey Shrimpy...I mean Dara, sorry." Chaerin almost whispers these words as she grabs the bucket and get to work cleaning.

What is this? Is this really Chaerin? I notice Chaerin is cleaning with her sunglasses still on.

"You look stupid with your sunglasses, also we're inside take them off!" I glance at Chaerin and give her a look of disapproval. Chaerin slowly reaches up to her sunglasses with shaking hands. Chaerin removes her sunglasses slowly and reveals her swollen eye almost completely closed. Her left eye is slightly purple with a cut above her eyebrow. Chaerin slowly looks at the ground. Just as quickly she turns around and continues her work. I freeze at this sight. Did I do that? I look at my hands. I am filled with guilt. I do not regret my actions, but seeing what I've done to Chaerin makes me look no better than her. I begin to help Chaerin clean the room. We finish quickly, before we pick up the cleaning supplies Chaerin says in an almost inaudible voice.

"...I will help you.." 

"What do you mean?" I look at her.

"..I will help you with your project, no deals this time" Chaerin looks down. I consider what Chaerin has to say.

"Ok, I accept. Is it ok if we start next week during our detention?" I pick up the rest of the supplies and put them away.

"Yes" Chaerin puts her sunglasses and leaves quietly.

I stand there in silence, what is going on? I leave the classroom and exit the gates of school. I notice one of Chaerin's luxury cars parked in the parking lot. I thought she had left... I walk on the sidewalk that circles past Chaerin's car. Slowly I see Chaerin in the seat of her car with her eyes closed, slowly she touches her eyes and places her head in her hands. At this, I begin to walk quickly away.. I break into a run. I quickly slow down and collapse on the sidewalk. I feel the tears race down my face before I can stop them. What am I? Have I become monster? Images of Chaerin's face leap into my mind and I yell out into the street. I pull out my phone and call a cab. The cab arrives and I hop in giving him directions. I watch the scenary race past me as I grow farther and farther from the city. I finally arrive to the grand house, it's about noon. I pay my cab fare and hop out. I walk up the elaborate staircase up to the beautiful mahogany door. I knock multiple times.

"She's not home.." I turn around very startled. I turn around to find Mr. Kim at the bottom of the staircase. 

"When is she coming home?" I ask him as I begin to descend the stairs.

"I'm not sure, sometimes she doesn't come home at all." Mr. Lee fidgets as he says this. 

"Ms.Lee has been out more lately than usual, your welcome to wait for her inside if you'd like." Mr. Kim looks at me curiously.

"No thank you, I'd like to wait for her out here." I sit on the steps. Mr.Kim walks away towards what looks like a small guest house. My mind wanders aimlessly for hours while I wait for Chaerin. It begins to get really late,my phone is exploding with calls from my mom. I ignore all of them. I begin to grow tired and I lay on the steps. I fall asleep. I don't know how late it is when I hear the screeching of tires pulling into the extensive driveway, I awake a bit groggy to see a man hop out of the driver's side and walk to the passenger side. I see him lead a stumbling Chaerin up to the door laughing.

"Hey who the hell are you?" I stand up and walk over to them.

"Me? I'm Kyle, Chaerin invited me to come home with her. Isn't that right Chaerin?" Kyle looks at Chaerin and bites his lip.

"...MeEe? Oh Me? YaaaaHHaa!" Chaerin stumbles against him. I smell alcohol on their breaths. 

"Chaerin isn't even into guys get lost!" I shove Kyle back while gripping Chaerin She hold onto my neck.

"You have ten minutes to get off this property before I call the cops." Kyle seems to register this in his mind and calls a cab that arrives shortly.

Slowly, step by step I get Chaerin into her house. I manage to find her room and get her into bed.

"Chaerin why are you going out drinking? Why are you being a target for nasty boys like that? Chaerin shrugs her shoulders and giggles. Like a child.

"Do you even know who I am Chaerin?" I stare at Chaerin while she studies my face. Chaerin touches my face softly.

"...Shrimpy.." Chaerin slowly touches her bruised eyes. I wince and look at the ground. Chaerin closes her eyes and falls asleep. I tuck her in and build a pillow fort in the middle of the bed. I never thought I'd be back in this house, let alone this bed. 

*A/N* Thank you for reading, I will try to keep update regularly! Love you guys xoxo