Incoherent words and first day

Bulletproof Boys: Basketball Affairs

[A/N: 2k+ of first chapter ahead~]

 

Park Jimin had lived in Busan for fifteen years in a modest one-storey single unit in the quiet neighborhood near Haewoondae (which is by the sea). Until, his father got promoted to be the sales manager at the Min Corporations so the family; Mr. Park, Mrs. Park, Jimin, his younger brother Hyeon and their cat Jurongie moved to the bustling city of Seoul where they reside in the double-storey single unit provided by the company (which is probably twice larger than their house back in Busan).

Jimin was very happy to start his sophomore year with a bedroom of his own, which was painted in army green; his favorite color. There was a miniature basketball hoop fixed by the end of his bed, and the other end of his room was lined with shelves hosting his collection of mangas and novels and also some albums from his favorite bands that he bought with saved up pocket money. His study table was placed right beside his bed.

Jimin loved sharing his room with Hyeon because Park Jimin loves his Park Hyeon very much, but he’s turning sixteen this year, so he might as well let eight years old Hyeon enjoys  a room of his own also.

During his third night though, Jimin found himself tossing uncomfortably in his bed as he stared intensely at his new uniform that hung on the rack of his clothes. Jimin felt uneasy because for one, he’s not really a person who is naturally good at making friends (though he would make sure you go crazy after befriending him), and two, Jimin’s new school happened to be Seoul Bang Academy which is a private school and a prestigious one, too.

Jimin was uneasy because of all these new rich stuff he’s been given with. He was not used to fancy stuff and according to his little session of researching, the school seemed to be something a bit extravagant for him. Everything looked thoroughly polished (according to the pictures) and was basically nothing like his old school back in Busan. However, Jimin was looking forward to one thing; joining the basketball team. He’s heard of Bulletproof Boys from Seoul. They had quite a reputation in the basketball area even though Jimin has never seen them before.

 

“Jimin-ah, are you sure you don’t want us to send you?” Mrs. Park questioned her eldest son for the third time when said son was already out of the gates.

“It’s okay mom. I’ll do fine. Make sure Hyeon eats his banana!” Jimin replied with a wide smile before waving at Hyeon who poked his head out of the door frame.

“Bye hyung! See you later!”

“See you, tiger!” Jimin made a ‘rawr’ expression and Hyeon giggled in response. Yup, Jimin just love his brother like that. He took off his snapback and ruffled his black hair that was cropped mushroom style before putting his cap back on backwards.

 

When Jimin arrived in front of the school gates, he took a deep breath as he eyed all the expensive cars around him. Jimin wondered why his dad even bothered to waste money by sending him to a school like that; Jimin would’ve studied just the same even if he was sent to a normal government school. Hyeon was going to attend a normal primary school, so from where did this privilege of being special came from?

Jimin went to the principal’s office and took his file with his locker key and proceeded to the hallway where the lockers were situated. Jimin was just dumping some stuff in his locker when the noise happened. It sounded like a mixture of girls squealing and gasping and boys whispering and Jimin turned around to a crowd gathering in the hallway. Now, Jimin was not a very tall person for his age, so he craned his neck to see what the crowd was gasping at and wow a group of five boys, each looking equally attractive walked down the hall with smug faces and they had the ‘don’t touch what you can’t afford’ aura around them.

“Oh, they’re back!”

“I’m so happy that school started again so I could continue staring at Namjoon oppa!”

“Ah, Jungkook is already attending the school!”

“Did Jin oppa dye his hair red?”

Jimin found himself staring at them like everybody else were but when one of the members made an eye contact for about three seconds with him, he immediately covered his face with his books and dashed away for homeroom. Jimin didn’t know why, but he felt his cheeks heat up at the thought of the eyes of the student just now. There was something about his face that attracted Jimin.

 

During homeroom, Jimin chose to seat in empty seat at the very back of the class. There were just a few people inside the class, given that Jimin practically made a mad run for his class after the awkward eye contact. Jimin was lucky he didn’t get lost, considering how huge the school was.

“Park Jimin?” The teacher called out as soon as she entered and the class was filled with students. Jimin awkwardly raised his hands and mumbled out a faint, “yes?” The teacher scanned the class to locate his position because Jimin is quite small, and he was talking with a voice that was barely audible. All eyes were him, and Jimin wanted to bury himself in his desk.

“God, speak louder the next time I call for you,” the teacher –Miss Choi Sooyoung as Jimin would recall- directed at him before she faced the class and continued, “Class, welcome your new member; Park Jimin. Mr Park, do come forward and introduce yourself to the class.”

Jimin gulped and embraced his worst fear. He prayed a lot so that he didn’t have to introduce himself to the class because he was scared to speak in his thick, Busan accent. Jimin hasn’t quite grasped the Seoul slang yet so he was afraid he would make a mess out of himself. Apparently, it was inevitable. Jimin would have to speak to the students, sooner or later.

So he pushed his thick rimmed glasses onto the bridge of his nose and walked to the front of the class. “Hello, I, uhh, my name is Park Jimin and I’ve just moved here from Busan. I hope we get along well,” he bowed slightly and proceeded to stand still. Jimin heard some whispers from the girls saying that he’s cute and he smiled internally because at least some people found him attractive and not sloppy.

“Any questions, class?” Miss Choi asked and a girl with a blue scrunchy raised her hand. “Yes, Namjoo?”

“Jiminnie, do you have a girlfriend?”

Jimin blushed beet red and stared at his white converse, unable to produce an answer and thanked Miss Choi for saving him. “Namjoo, keep your boyfriends affairs to yourself,” she said before sending Jimin back to his seat. Jimin jumped a bit when he passed by Namjoo’s seat and the latter winked at him.

“Now, our second new student. Kim Taehyung?” Miss Choi called out and the guy in front of Jimin raised his hand. From the back, the student appeared to have dyed his hair sandy blond and Jimin couldn’t help hanging his mouth in awe as he get the full view of Taehyung’s handsome authentic face. Originally, Jimin was secretly glad that he wasn’t the only new student in the class, but Taehyung’s appearance that was oozing with y aura brought Jimin’s guard up again.

“The name is Kim Taehyung, moved here from Hong Kong. Thanks,” he finished with a smirk and Miss Choi repeated the question ‘any questions’. Almost every hand shoot up but as soon as Miss Choi said, “not personal ones, I hope,” every single one of them went limp. Miss Choi proceeded to send Taehyung back to his seat and started the class.

 

During Literature, Mr. Nam Woohyun gave the class their semester assignment which was a review video on any literature piece that they choose from a list that he gave. The assignment needed to be done in pairs and Jimin was once again caught off guard when Taehyung almost immediately turned around and flashed him a rectangular grin, face going completely away from the cocky character he’d been carrying around.

“Partners?” Taehyung smiled at him.

“Y-yeah, sure. Why not, Kim Taehyung-ssi,” Jimin replied, hesitant.

“Cool! Do you want to have lunch toge-“

“Taehyung, do you have a partner?” a girl with a sweet face asked. Her name tag reads ‘Jo Yoyeun’.

In a split second Taehyung wore the same cocky attitude he’d been sporting and cocked one eyebrow at the girl. Taehyung then sent his eyes in Jimin’s direction before looking at Yoyeun again.

“Sorry, taken.”

Yoyeun’s smile faltered and she sent a short death look upon Jimin before retreating to her seat. Jimin was doing well looking down at his paper until Taehyung changed into being cheeky again.

“So I was saying, do you want to have lunch together?”

Jimin peeked up and saw Taehyung’s rectangular smile and he wanted so bad to ask ‘What’s with your mood swing?’ but decided to save it for later because for now, at least he has a friend and he wasn’t planning on to lose him right away as it seemed like he was being judged by the most population of his classmates for not wearing some branded stuff. Well, it wasn’t like he couldn’t afford any, it’s just that he wasn’t used to it yet. Besides, why waste money on-

“Jimin?” Jimin jumped a bit when Taehyung snapped his fingers in front of his face.

“Sorry, I spaced out. And yeah, sure!” Jimin felt himself smiling.

 

In the cafeteria, Jimin brought his lunch tray which was filled with a plate of kimbap, soup and a carton of orange juice to where Taehyung was sitting at an empty table. “Wow, you sure eat a lot Taehyung-ssi,” Jimin said, eyeing Taehyung’s tray which was full with kimbap, naengmyun, pudding and a carton of milk. “Yeah, I miss these. Hong Kong’s food is great but I missed Korea a lot. By the way, why are you so formal? Just call me Taehyung,” Taehyung replied through mouth full of rice and Jimin laughed at the sight.

“Anyway Taehyung, why don’t you sit with other people? You know, ‘cooler’ people?” Jimin put a piece of kimbap into his mouth. Taehyung grinned again and Jimin thought that this kid has some serious grinning problem.

“I don’t like most of the students here. They act like they’re prince and princess or something because they put on expensive perfumes and . You looked like a lost puppy so I thought of starting with someone new,” Taehyung wiped grains of rice from his face. Jimin thought he looked like a child.

“Oh, you seemed to know a lot about the school,” Jimin replied.

“Well yeah, kind of; I have some connections. My best friend goes to school here,” Taehyung started to eat his naengmyun after he finished his kimbap.

Suddenly the noise in the cafeteria died down and was replaced with hushed squeals and whispers. Jimin and Taehyung turned their heads towards the cafeteria entrance as the group of five boys from the morning entered the halls. Most of them had their shirts already ed and hair purposely messed up, but even in the condition they still carried the ‘don’t touch what you can’t afford’ aura around them.

Taehyung turned back to his food two seconds after he looked at them, holding no interest whatsoever but Jimin kept his eyes locked to one particular member of the group. Said member had auburn reddish hair that framed his pale skin and Jimin couldn’t tear his eyes away. Jimin’s session of staring was short-lived, as the boy caught him looking and wow, déjà vu and Jimin quickly stared down at his half-finished soup. The cafeteria was noisy again after the five boys sat down at what appeared to be their VIP table.

“What’s wrong Jimin-ah? Your face is red,” Taehyung asked amidst sipping his milk.

“N-nothing. What’s the deal with those boys? Why are people worshipping them like they’re some kind of god or something?” Jimin asked.

“Well they are some sort of god actually. Gods of basketball. They’re the Bulletproof Boys of Seoul Bang Academy,” Taehyung answered, sounding most un-interested.

Jimin choked on his juice.

“Jimin? God, what’s wrong with you? Are you normally this klutz?” Taehyung handed Jimin a tissue and chuckled at him as Jimin wiped his mouth.

 “Yeah, uhm, no, well, I might be. It depends,” Jimin answered, pushing his glasses back to place.

“Thank god I found you Jimin. You’re such an interesting friend,” Taehyung laughed.

Jimin laughed at himself and lifted his snapback, messed his hair and put his snapback back on, internally re-evaluating his intention on trying out for the basketball team.

 

 

 

---

here's the first chapter! yay! okay so no interaction between our heroes yet, but I just want to break down Vmin's friendship and introduce Bulletproof Boys' reputation! Next chapter would be Jimin's try-outs! see you~