Something Dangerous

Sixth Sense

 

“What do you mean by that?” Kevin asked, albeit a little shaky. He shouldn’t be afraid. But he kept his composure. He must be brave. He’s the leader, after all. But Kyungsoo remained silent.

“Other than the girl who hung herself there, there’s actually something other than that?” Myungsoo asked Kyungsoo as well. Even though he didn’t really like meddling himself in such activities, somehow he was curious as well. The incident that happened recently to him kept on replaying at the back of his mind, haunting him nonetheless.

Jiyeon, who was overwhelmed with what was happening, suddenly voiced out shakily, “What happened to the girl who hung herself?” Now, she’s afraid. She was afraid that something bad would happen to her once again, but it seemed like those kind of stuff would never stop taunting her.

Suddenly, Hara began to talk. “A couple of years ago, there was a girl, about two years our senior, who were in a relationship, I think.” She paused as she took a deep breath in. “The relationship was failing. The boy, I forgot who, was cheating on her. When she found out, she went crazy. Her grades were failing, she became really, really silent. And creepy. She cried almost all the time! Everyone tried to help her but to no avail. Her health began to worsen… ”

“… So she decided to hang herself. Just like that.” Jiyeon concluded.

“But it didn’t just end there. Afterwards, her classmates would hear faint crying from her empty seat during lessons. Everyone tried to just brush it off, but the cries grew louder.” Seohyun explained further, much to everyone’s surprise. “Well, I heard rumours.”

Suddenly, Kyungsoo laughed. Everyone looked at him weirdly. Something wasn’t right with him or rather, the current situation. “Did you guys really think that that’s it? There’s more to that, silly!” he said as he continued to laugh. But then, he suddenly showed a very, very serious face. (By then, the other six really thought that he went crazy.)

“People could see her.” He said quietly so that only the seven of them could hear it. “But not just any people. Only special, selected few. And you know what? I think some of you have already seen her.” He said as he suddenly stood up. “Stop talking about it. She’s still here.” He said as he began to walk back to his tent.

“Oh yeah guys, did you know that her class was the same class as our current class?” he snickered. Then, he turned around and walked away from the group, leaving them speechless.

Everyone remained quiet. They just stared at each other. It was weird. He was weird. Everything was weird. They weren’t sure on whether Kyungsoo was telling the truth or not.  Chills were running down on everyone’s spines.

Suddenly, Chansung stood up. “Okay. Did anyone actually saw that… thing?” he stared at everyone, trying to catch glimpses of anyone who was nervous. Everyone began to look at each other, trying to see whether anyone did see anything.

Alas, no one did. (Jiyeon didn’t want to freak her friends out. Myungsoo wanted to keep his cool. Well, Hara concluded that she was hallucinating. So, that’s that.)

“Okay, I admit. The class had a sort of creepy vibe to it. I mean, come on, doesn’t anyone feel the same way?” Myungsoo abruptly asked, but remained calm and collected. Slowly, everyone nodded in agreement. “Woah, I thought I was the only one.” He muttered silently.

“Guys, I think we should stop talking about this.” Kevin suggested after thinking about it.

Chansung refused to give up just yet. “Come on Kevin, don’t be that way. It’s a mystery, and I think that we should investigate it.”

“Are you crazy, Chansung?” Seohyun asked annoyingly.

“It’s dangerous, okay!” Jiyeon stood up and her voice rose in anger. Everyone became mute and silent, obviously stunned that Jiyeon could actually be angry at them. “You guys just… don’t do anything stupid.” She voice slowed down again. She didn’t believe that she actually raised her voice. That’s it. The others would begin to feel suspicious of her. “I’m going to sleep.” She walked off quietly without turning back. She could feel their stares behind her back, but she reluctantly ignored it.

“Yeah, it’s getting late anyway.” Hara stood up with Seohyun. “We’re going to sleep now. Bye guys.” They walked off quietly. Since Jiyeon left, the situation became really cold and silent. With that, the boys decided to sleep as well.

They had too much in just one night, after all.

+

After they had they breakfast and went through two hours of group activities, the teachers decided to give them a break, but on the rule that was not to make any ruckus. The boys called the girls to meet again but at a place quite far away from the others, under the instruction of Chansung. But Kyungsoo decided to not join them, maybe for the better. They gulped when they noticed that they were at the tree where the girl used to hang herself, and where Myungsoo saw something.

“So, what will we be doing here?” Hara asked the boys because they looked quite anxious.

The boys exchanged glances but they seemed to be nudging Chansung instead. He smirked when he received all of their attention so he quickly told them to sit down in a circle. Their eyebrows cocked in confusion but they simply shrugged and followed his order.

Chansung suddenly walked over to a tree nearby and grabbed something behind the tree. It seemed like a box but when he walked back, all of them were surprise to see that it was actually an Ouija board.

“Are you kidding us?” Seohyun asked, obviously angry yet a bit scared.

Hara chimed in. “That stuff is for kids!”

“I can’t believe you actually want to use that.” Kevin shook his head in disbelief.

“Well, I think it might be fun.” Myungsoo blurted out suddenly.

Jiyeon kept quiet, her fingers clenching onto her sweatpants as she bit her lip. She didn’t know what to do.

“Guys, let’s just do this simple and quick. It’s not that dangerous and scary, okay?” Chansung said out loud before sitting down. He set up the Ouija board in the middle of the circle and made sure that everyone paid attention. Because the tree is located quite far from the camp area, they hoped that no one would notice them.

Chansung held his hand out first, gently placing his fingers onto the pointer. He took a deep breath before slowly asking, “Are you here?”

They waited for a couple of minute due to curiosity yet nervous. But, nothing happened.

Not giving up, Chansung tried again. “Is it true that you hung yourself? Is it because of your ex-boyfriend?”

Again, nothing happened.

“See? I told you it’s pointless.” Kevin sighed when there was no response.

Chansung rolled his eyes at Kevin. He focused on the Ouija board again, though. “Why are you still here?”

It was eerily quiet when the pointer suddenly moved by itself. It stopped moving for a few seconds before going to the other printed alphabets on the board. They paid their fullest attention but everyone was sure that they were holding their breaths because whatever was happening, it was real and it was scary.

R-e-v-e-n-g-e. The pointer stopped on that letters.

By then, everyone could feel goosebumps all over their body. They made eye-contact with Chansung, to see whether he was pulling a prank or not but he shook his head. In fact, he was also bewildered. Not wanting to stop just yet, Chansung placed his fingers back at the pointer. “For what and for whom?”

The pointer moved again, and this time, it spelled out T-h-e-m.

Everyone exchanged scared glances. What did it meant by that? Who were they? Were they were among the six of them? Or were they somebody else at the camp?

All of a sudden, Jiyeon got up and grabbed the pointer from Chansung and even positioned the board to make sure that the alphabets faced her. “Don’t disturb us.” She told ‘it’ in a voice that she didn’t use for quite a long while. Her voice was shaky yet revengeful. Everyone looked at her but she didn’t care. Thing could get out of their hands if no one stepped in and tried to stop.

All of a sudden, Jiyeon froze. She felt that the back of her neck went chilly. As if there was someone breathing behind her. She prevented herself from screaming when she heard the words in a creepy, girl voice.

“It’s too late.”